CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

6 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Plasma Pistol can knock out an Overshield and stun vehicles with a homing projectile.  We’re well past the point of pistols just being less powerful rifles or “sidearms”.  If anything, pistols being powerful is the norm in Halo (Mauler, Boltshot).  Can we drop this stupid argument for the Magnum not being appropriate as a utility weapon because it’s a Pistol?  

Its not an argument that makes sense in a fictional universe I agree. But for some reason A LOT of people can't get over the fact that a pistol does as much damage as it does despite the fact that its a fictional universe 500 years in the future.  Its just a weapon skin so i figure fuck it, throw those idiots a bone so they stop whining and wrap up the weapon in a DMR skin.  Just don't make it block half my screen and im good.  Remember that these are the same people that threw a fit because the undersuits were a dark gray instead of black.  I care far more about function than form, as anybody that gives a shit about the actual gameplay should.  Give the casual players their rifle starting weapon, black undersuits and playable elites. Give me projectile weapons and no sprint, everybody wins.

• Fire (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Plasma Pistol can knock out an Overshield and stun vehicles with a homing projectile.  We’re well past the point of pistols just being less powerful rifles or “sidearms”.  If anything, pistols being powerful is the norm in Halo (Mauler, Boltshot).  Can we drop this stupid argument for the Magnum not being appropriate as a utility weapon because it’s a Pistol?  

It's not people here making that argument, it's the waypoint and r/halo drones that won't shut up about "CE's overpowered pistol".

• Like (+1) 4

What if they made the Pistol look cooler while still functioning the same? The Halo 5 Pistol looks so tiny, it doesn't even feel like I'm holding a gun. The CE Pistol feels so much bigger and better and sounds stronger.

1 hour ago, Basu said:

It's not people here making that argument, it's the waypoint and r/halo drones that won't shut up about "CE's overpowered pistol".

You mean the people that 343 actually listen too? 

39 minutes ago, Arlong said:

You mean the people that 343 actually listen too? 

343 listening to "the people" is what got us Halo 4 and unlimited sprint for Halo 5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, JordanB said:

343 listening to "the people" is what got us Halo 4 and unlimited sprint for Halo 5

You missed my point, I’m making the point they’re the ones 343 are listening too, in the sense they go on those two web pages and receive feed back. Gotta make your views known elsewhere if you want a chance at being acknowledged 

Personally, I'd rather use a Magnum design simply as a "fuck you" to those people who are bothered by it. They're not worth appeasing and never will be. Plus, the Magnum is smaller and takes up less screen space, feels visceral when given sufficient power, accuracy and range, and will always be a nod towards CE's legacy. It's Halo as fuck, and deserves to be the norm going forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 5

1 minute ago, The Tyco said:

Personally, I'd rather use a Magnum design simply as a "fuck you" to those people who are bothered by it. They're not worth appeasing and never will be. Plus, the Magnum is smaller and takes up less screen space, feels visceral when given sufficient power, accuracy and range, and will always be a nod towards CE's legacy. It's Halo as fuck, and deserves to be the norm going forward.

A higher fov is that’s needed to basically prevent that tbh

39 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Then let's hope they continue this path. 

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 3

14 minutes ago, Arlong said:

You missed my point, I’m making the point they’re the ones 343 are listening too, in the sense they go on those two web pages and receive feed back. Gotta make your views known elsewhere if you want a chance at being acknowledged 

And my point is 343 is listening to the wrong people. They listen to the people who make all these requests "pistol shouldn't be a primary weapon" "how does a super soldier not have sprint" but those are the same people who will download Infinite at launch via Game Pass, play it for two weeks and then move on to Cod or go back to Fortnite or Apex or another game. Because they don't actually love Halo, they just want it to play like every other game out there so there's less of a learning curve.

• Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

And my point is 343 is listening to the wrong people. They listen to the people who make all these requests "pistol shouldn't be a primary weapon" "how does a super soldier not have sprint" but those are the same people who will download Infinite at launch via Game Pass, play it for two weeks and then move on to Cod or go back to Fortnite or Apex or another game. Because they don't actually love Halo, they just want it to play like every other game out there so there's less of a learning curve.

So you want them to listen to people here?  When this site has sort of a bad rep with 343 industries? Isn’t it better for the people like us to voice our opinions sometimes elsewhere? And that’s not always the case, as recently waypoint and reddit has started to be in favor of classic halo again. Also, Reddit are the reasons we’re getting reach TU instead of vanilla as well as waypoint. 

Voice your concerns on Twitter, as 343 reads that quite often. 

I don't think we can blame Halo's design decisions on any group of people. 343 simply just does shit they want to do. Nobody asks for this stuff.

• Upvote (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

I don't think we can blame Halo's design decisions on any group of people. 343 simply just does shit they want to do. Nobody asks for this stuff.

Eh some of it is, but 343 has a problem of following trends. H4 was due to the popularity of call of duty so they thought making halomsimilar to that would appease those types of players.

h5 was made because of the rage of advanced movement. 

All in all 343 doesn’t like taking risk. They’re too afraid of making classic halo because they don’t believe it would work out these days when no game can be compared to it. Csgo isn’t a great comparison because it’s a tactical game, overwatch has other forms of movement to make up for lack of sprint, and splitgate the closest thing to halo was a “a colossal failure”! 

Another thing that now hurts halos chance at getting no sprint back is the fact is the desire for large scale battles. If you believe warzone could work without it be my guess, but I bet it be difficult. 343 isn’t just designing halo around 4v4 combat, which would be quite easy to determine a good movement speed for. But now with these bigger maps 343 has to decide a proper balance. Now that doesn’t mean the game needs spartan abilities, but no sprint? And yes some of you have pointed out that sprint hurts the btb mode(regardless of the fact that the two games with the best btb maps were halos with sprint. 

On 9/17/2019 at 1:44 PM, JordanB said:

nah. there was no community asking for promethean vision or no de-scope. like maybe t here was some subset of a community asking for no sprint but every major place is on the no* sprint train or is tied. nothing introduced in h4 was asked for

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

So you want them to listen to people here?  When this site has sort of a bad rep with 343 industries? Isn’t it better for the people like us to voice our opinions sometimes elsewhere? And that’s not always the case, as recently waypoint and reddit has started to be in favor of classic halo again. Also, Reddit are the reasons we’re getting reach TU instead of vanilla as well as waypoint. 

Voice your concerns on Twitter, as 343 reads that quite often. 

No, this community isn't big enough. At least not anymore. But just because a post on reddit gets 100 upvotes doesn't make it the right decision either. 

You'd also be surprised about how many people think sprint is the best thing Halo ever did. I can't even count how many times I replied with a YouTube video showing sprint means absolutely nothing except giving you the perception that you're moving faster. But it doesn't actually make a difference. 

4 hours ago, Riddler said:

nah. there was no community asking for promethean vision or no de-scope. like maybe t here was some subset of a community asking for no sprint but every major place is on the sprint train or is tied. nothing introduced in h4 was asked for

Maybe not directly, but they followed the crowd by making Halo similar to other games. Other games (cod) have permanent sprint, no de scope, perks. And when Halo 4 launched I was almost done with high school and pretty much everyone was stocked to have sprinting in Halo. Was that directly asked for? I don't know, I wasn't really on forums at that time. But it was definitely something that a lot of people were happy about...at launch anyway. 

10 hours ago, Arlong said:

Another thing that now hurts halos chance at getting no sprint back is the fact is the desire for large scale battles. If you believe warzone could work without it be my guess, but I bet it be difficult. 343 isn’t just designing halo around 4v4 combat, which would be quite easy to determine a good movement speed for. But now with these bigger maps 343 has to decide a proper balance. Now that doesn’t mean the game needs spartan abilities, but no sprint? And yes some of you have pointed out that sprint hurts the btb mode(regardless of the fact that the two games with the best btb maps were halos with sprint. 

I don't get this mentality with you, considering I count about 3 Halo titles where sprint wasn't needed nor was difficult to design around without. If you need sprint to make your BTB map to function correctly, then that just tells me you are a shit map designer. The only "proper balance" to be made is infantry routes vs vehicle routes, which btw if sprint is involved, will directly, and ONLY influence infantry routes, without doing jack shit to vehicle routes because infantry aren't supposed to there ANYWAY.

Putting sprint into the game just to mitigate travel time across non-infantry routes is fucking idiotic when it makes the infantry routes suffer, and take longer by necessity to travel through because of said sprint.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Boyo said:

Not only are there other players trying to kill me in BTB but vehicles too.  Where do I want my gun while moving around all these threats?  Pointing at the ground of course!  Rather than maps scaled appropriately to the base movement speed, I would rather have endless seas of dance floor that infantry cross on a three month journey with Christopher Columbus.

Thank you for this masterpiece.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, The Tyco said:

I don't get this mentality with you, considering I count about 3 Halo titles where sprint wasn't needed nor was difficult to design around without. If you need sprint to make your BTB map to function correctly, then that just tells me you are a shit map designer. The only "proper balance" to be made is infantry routes vs vehicle routes, which btw if sprint is involved, will directly, and ONLY influence infantry routes, without doing jack shit to vehicle routes because infantry aren't supposed to there ANYWAY.

Putting sprint into the game just to mitigate travel time across non-infantry routes is fucking idiotic when it makes the infantry routes suffer, and take longer by necessity to travel through because of said sprint.

Name a map right now that has that? Literally not a single fucking one. They’re either great for vehicles or infantry, you ain’t getting both. Those three halo titles didn’t even have great btb. Sprint on a map like Valhalla doesn’t ruin it, and that’s an amazing btb map.

• WutFace (+0) 2

On 9/17/2019 at 2:09 PM, The Tyco said:

One other thing - it's guaranteed that there's going to be a pistol in the game one way or the other; it's just matter of whether it's a useful weapon that can carry its own weight and serve a purpose, or some dinky pea-shooter the game makes you use for the first half of the first campaign level until they give you the utility rifle, at which point the pistol is never seen or used again. As the guy whose always pushing for a minimalist sandbox, I know which one I'd prefer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

Valhalla isn't a good map

In what way? Aesthetically it's a great map.

In terms of BTB CTF it's a good map if the banshee is removed.

In terms of 4v4 it's garbage.

In terms of Team f***ing heavies it makes me want to dead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

In what way? Aesthetically it's a great map.

In terms of BTB CTF it's a good map if the banshee is removed.

In terms of 4v4 it's garbage.

In terms of Team f***ing heavies it makes me want to dead.

The giant hill in the center of the map that spawns the best weapon on the map to counter all the vehicles. The lack of real threat to the enemy sniper posted top mid blaining your team besides your sniper. 

Aesthetically it's pretty average for Halo. 

Valhalla is one of the least objectionable bathtub maps in Halo.  It has significant elevation changes throughout the map that break up sight lines and create multiple distinct areas.  The elevation changes also provide cover and some semblance of infantry routes.  It has multiple mancaonnons per base that decrease infantry travel time, cutting down on the no man’s land factor.  It has cover around the edges of that map that infantry can use for better balanced infantry-vehicle interactions.

It is by no means a great map but it does at a least try to address some of the issues with maps like Blood Gulch.

• Like (+1) 2