CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

so instead of the common double jump suggestion... why don't we let people fast fall once they reach the apex of their jump. better dodging skill and more momentum for slide jumps.

Ok so double points if you win the game in half before 6:00 then since most games are 12 minutes with 3 minutes overtime, I say finish the game in half that time you get double points. 

How would anyone here feel about overtime in oddball and king? How this will work is like CTF if you drop the ball or stay out of the hill for 5 seconds it gg you lose. I’m asking since sometimes it’s annoying to see oddball games in particular come down to a lost due to the clock. I understand that’s part of the mode and shouldn’t change but I say am OT option wouldn’t hurt, and it basically would punish the losing team if they decided to “play” the ball.

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

Ok so double points if you win the game in half before 6:00 then since most games are 12 minutes with 3 minutes overtime, I say finish the game in half that time you get double points. 

How would anyone here feel about overtime in oddball and king? How this will work is like CTF if you drop the ball or stay out of the hill for 5 seconds it gg you lose. I’m asking since sometimes it’s annoying to see oddball games in particular come down to a lost due to the clock. I understand that’s part of the mode and shouldn’t change but I say am OT option wouldn’t hurt, and it basically would punish the losing team if they decided to “play” the ball.

Black Ops 3 had this ingenious system where the clock would stop as long as someone is scoring. Prevents "mathematically over" games but also doesn't allow indefinite overtime like Overwatch's version of KOTH.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Basu said:

Black Ops 3 had this ingenious system where the clock would stop as long as someone is scoring. Prevents "mathematically over" games but also doesn't allow indefinite overtime like Overwatch's version of KOTH.

I like overwatchs koth though and actually would sort of prefer that over our current version. That version leaves room for unusual comebacks. 

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

What even is our "current" version? Strongholds?

To be fair we don’t have one regarding h5. Strong holds isn’t a bad game type it’s just I hate it’s maps like plaza. But it definitely isn’t a bad mode by any chance and would love for it to return. You know what I’d like to come back is extraction. Why the hell was that removed? 

21 minutes ago, Arlong said:

To be fair we don’t have one regarding h5. Strong holds isn’t a bad game type it’s just I hate it’s maps like plaza. But it definitely isn’t a bad mode by any chance and would love for it to return. You know what I’d like to come back is extraction. Why the hell was that removed? 

Better question would be why KotH was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

Better question would be why KotH was.

It’s not like it was a bad game mode. It played well on a decent amount of maps. It also was a good ffa mode, although in social it was a stat fest, lmao.

8 hours ago, Basu said:

This would screw up weapon timing, unless the weapons' respawn times were bound to the game clock. Even if that were the case, you would still have longer than intended periods between item spawns.

For KotH, just use Every Man Counts scoring in the hill to prevent most mathematical early victories.

For Oddball, just make it so the game can't end if the ball is still being held by the trailing team.  Actually, just do that for KotH too. No reason not to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

This would screw up weapon timing, unless the weapons' respawn times were bound to the game clock. Even if that were the case, you would still have longer than intended periods between item spawns.

For KotH, just use Every Man Counts scoring in the hill to prevent most mathematical early victories.

For Oddball, just make it so the game can't end if the ball is still being held by the trailing team.  Actually, just do that for KotH too. No reason not to.

i read "the clock stoppping" as what you described later. just ot for koth/oddball

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Right. In that case applying your solution for oddball in all time-based gametypes would make sense. Keep the overtime going as long as the losing team is still scoring, maybe with a grace period of 5-10 seconds in KOTH when the hill moves.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Right. In that case applying your solution for oddball makes sense in all time-based gametypes would make sense. Keep the overtime going as long as the losing team is still scoring, maybe with a grace period of 5-10 seconds in KOTH when the hill moves.

5-10 seconds is reasonable, and should be implemented. I already suggested that with oddball. 

• Like (+1) 1

As long as hill rotation is sequential and you have a 10sec “Next Hill” waypoint, I don’t think a grace period is necessary.

I think it’d be sick if we had a Gears style audio cue when approaching the score limit or mathematical victory. I love that gong or whatever it is in Gears KotH.

@Riddler I just meant only on all zeroes on the clock, like the last play in football.

Gears is a tough one, there’d need to be a waypoint on where the next Hill will be(like in h2a for example), and you’d need to have a player in the hill before 5-10 seconds are up. I believe 5 seconds is more appropriate for oddball where ten for koth is fine. In oddballs case you’d be punished for playing the ball basically which is ok.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

As long as hill rotation is sequential and you have a 10sec “Next Hill” waypoint, I don’t think a grace period is necessary.

I think it’d be sick if we had a Gears style audio cue when approaching the score limit or mathematical victory. I love that gong or whatever it is in Gears KotH.

@Riddler I just meant only on all zeroes on the clock, like the last play in football.

At the time of transition you'd need to be in both hills virtually at the same time. Very tough to pull off especially if the other team's only goal is to deny you the hill and not necessarily play the hill themselves.

30 minutes ago, Basu said:

At the time of transition you'd need to be in both hills virtually at the same time. Very tough to pull off especially if the other team's only goal is to deny you the hill and not necessarily play the hill themselves.

They’ve earned that privilege though, overtime is meant to give the losing team a chance. If the winners had 50-100+ points on you, they definitely earned that, but the losing team still deserves a chance to comeback. 

• Like (+1) 1

Actually now that we're on this topic I might as well ask. What sort of QoL features would you guys want added to our existing KotH formula? 10 second "incoming" navpoints? A 3 second countdown audio queue before each rotation?

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I would prefer a hill I could actually see through again. H3's was cool

I like Reach's

• Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Tough shit. Shouldn’t be down that far at the end of the game. It’s already charitable to extend the game beyond the time limit bc one team decided to finally play well right at the end. Anything beyond that feels excessive to me. Imagine being on the leading side. That’d be frustrating to have to win “extra” just close it out. The time limit should mean something.

@HeX Reapers both of those ideas are good. I’d like a dramatic audio cue as a team approaches the score limit like Gears has. I feel like that does a great job of building tension in the closing moments.

I’d also like to see Every Man Counts scoring bc it has built in risk/reward, it eliminates mathematical victories, it radically changes the meta, and it creates more dynamic scoring shifts and a more tenuous state of the game at any given time (something KotH and Ball both suffer from, at least from a viewer perspective).

Hill transparency/opacity should def be addressed.

Warpath/Roaming Hill should be a stock KotH variant and every map should support it out of the box. It’s fantastic.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Tough shit. Shouldn’t be down that far at the end of the game. It’s already charitable to extend the game beyond the time limit bc one team decided to finally play well right at the end. Anything beyond that feels excessive to me. Imagine being on the leading side. That’d be frustrating to have to win “extra” just close it out. The time limit should mean something.

Okay, I see your point. Especially with roaming hill this shouldn't even be an issue as the hill doesn't suddenly jump between locations.

@HeX Reapers I'd like to see the "incoming" icon plus the countdown on the hill icon that Reach had that shows how long it's going to stay active plus the icon flashing during the last 5 seconds. Honestly Reach already nailed it, just need to add the "incoming" thing. And I agree make them more transparent again.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Agree.

I’d like a dramatic audio cue as a team approaches the score limit like Gears has. I feel like that does a great job of building tension in the closing moments.

Agree.

I’d also like to see Every Man Counts scoring bc it has built in risk/reward, it eliminates mathematical victories, it radically changes the meta, and it creates more dynamic scoring shifts and a more tenuous state of the game at any given time (something KotH and Ball both suffer from, at least from a viewer perspective).

Disagree.  I like how the meta revolves around one teammate controlling the hill while the others provide protection or bait and switch into the hill.  Everyone counts would make it too similar to flag, where putting the enemy team four down then getting everyone in the hill would be a viable strategy.  

Halo 4, I think, had a glitch where if two teammates simultaneously entered the hill, they could get double points.  This is less objectionable to me than everyone counts because it requires timing and coordination rather than just adding more teammates to the hill during times when the enemy team is dead.

Your reward for killing the enemy team in KoTH is uncontested hill time, not uncontested hill time x4.  I would be open to ideas on how point swings could be accomplished but I don’t think everyone counts is the correct solution.  Enemy kills while in the hill give 5 points, a power up that gives double points for hilltime, a button on the map that when activated shrinks the hill but increases the points per second given.

Hill transparency/opacity should def be addressed.

Agree.

Warpath/Roaming Hill should be a stock KotH variant and every map should support it out of the box. It’s fantastic.

Agree.  Not only is it an interesting gametype but it opens the door to new styles of map design.  Best thing since HogPotato.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hard Way said:

19 hours ago, Basu said:

I think there would need to be something like a 1-2 second "hidden" allowance for a gap between hills.  Or the game would need to detect someones presence where the hill is about to move to in advance.  This is purely to prevent "False negatives" where the game doesn't detect a player in the new hill and ends the game.  I think this 2 second allowance would be ok all the time, its damn short but i would hate for a team making a comeback to lose because a player strafed out of the hill during a firefight for a split second.  It certainly doesn't need to be a long enough allowance for real travel time though.  If the losing team in OT can't be transitioning seamlessly between 2 hills as they move, they should lose.

• Like (+1) 1

Weapon X’s Alternate Fire is not immediately available to the user.  Primary Fire damage fills a meter.  Once the meter is full, Alt Fire becomes ready to fire.  Use of Alt Fire drains the meter, disabling Alt Fire until the meter is full again.

How would you have Weapon X’s Primary Fire and Alternate Fire behave?  

38 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I think there would need to be something like a 1-2 second "hidden" allowance for a gap between hills.  Or the game would need to detect someones presence where the hill is about to move to in advance.  This is purely to prevent "False negatives" where the game doesn't detect a player in the new hill and ends the game.  I think this 2 second allowance would be ok all the time, its damn short but i would hate for a team making a comeback to lose because a player strafed out of the hill during a firefight for a split second.  It certainly doesn't need to be a long enough allowance for real travel time though.  If the losing team in OT can't be transitioning seamlessly between 2 hills as they move, they should lose.

Put into words what I actually meant lol. 5-10s was definitely excessive. 

• Like (+1) 1