CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Radar and the Battle Rifle 

Halo goes back to classic base player movement and all advanced movement is confined to Armor Abilities, Equipment, and melee weapons.

In multiplayer, Radar does not detect base player movement, only advanced movement.  Players will also show up on radar while firing their weapon.

The hitscan Battle Rifle has a Deployable Suppressor built into the weapon’s frame.  Up on the D Pad toggles it between retracted and extended.  While retracted, it has no effect on the weapon’s base traits.  While extended, the weapon’s report is reduced but projectiles travel slower.  Proximate enemy AI are not alerted to the user’s location in campaign and the user does not appear on radar in multiplayer when the weapon is fired with the Suppressor extended.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Boyo said:

Halo goes back to classic base player movement and all advanced movement is confined to Armor Abilities, Equipment, and melee weapons WARZONE.

This is the dream.

• Fire (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Shekkles said:

This is the dream.

Not for me, only because it wastes a button on the controller. I'd way rather have it be confined to equipment/weapons.

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Not for me, only because it wastes a button on the controller. I'd way rather have it be confined to equipment/weapons.

Fine. You can have it for flares only.

• Fire (+1) 2

Double-jump boots and jetpack are things I would love to see incorporated as map pickups.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Variable Killtime Weapons 

The Battle Rifle’s killtime can be reduced through the use of button combos.  One weapon, multiple killtimes.  What other ways can a weapon’s standard killtime be reduced?

Headshot multipliers.  The zero bloom Plasma Repeater deals increased headshot damage.  Successive headshots deal increasing damage.  10 bodyshots kill in 1.2 seconds.  4 consecutive headshots kill in 0.4 seconds.

Dual wielding.  8 Spiker shots kill in 1.0 seconds.  Dual Spikers can fire 8 shots in 0.4 seconds.

Alternate fire.  6 primary fire shots from the Tidal Rifle kill in 1.2 seconds.  1 alternate fire shot followed by 3 primary fire shots kill in 0.7 seconds.

Object launched.  The Tractor Beam can launch various objects forward.  Different objects deal different amounts of damage.  Different objects have different projectile speeds.

Precharging.  The Gravity Bow is a charge then fire weapon with no cooldown after firing.  2 shots kill in 1.2 seconds.  By precharging the first shot, the user can shave up to 0.6 seconds off the engagement time.

Scoped firemodes.  The Light Rifle kills in four bursts unscoped.  It kills in three semi automatic shots while scoped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Basu said:

Double-jump boots and jetpack are things I would love to see incorporated as map pickups.

I remember loving the jet troopers in og battlefront. Leapfrogging across tatooine only to get impaled by a lightsaber...

On 8/28/2019 at 7:14 AM, Boyo said:

Radar and the Battle Rifle 

Halo goes back to classic base player movement and all advanced movement is confined to Armor Abilities, Equipment, and melee weapons.

In multiplayer, Radar does not detect base player movement, only advanced movement.  Players will also show up on radar while firing their weapon.

The hitscan Battle Rifle has a Deployable Suppressor built into the weapon’s frame.  Up on the D Pad toggles it between retracted and extended.  While retracted, it has no effect on the weapon’s base traits.  While extended, the weapon’s report is reduced but projectiles travel slower.  Proximate enemy AI are not alerted to the user’s location in campaign and the user does not appear on radar in multiplayer when the weapon is fired with the Suppressor extended.

I'd argue that suppressors/silencers don't really work in Halo. At least they didn't in H5. Since we're kind of used to not playing with a radar historically, the typical sound design of Halo, and the way your screen flashes in the direction you're being shot from all adds up to it just sounding different but allowing you to, like always, know exactly where someone is. I could see this being a cool effect for maybe new/casual players but at a high end I doubt it really causes a difference unless you're literally playing on stage in a super loud venue that would enable the quieter shots to be something you don't actually hear. This was the huge fuck up in H5 actually. You can still hear it, lol, if it stopped the sound from carrying it might be different. There are just so many tools and audio queues to figure out where players are that not appearing on a radar while shooting isn't really going to be a big deal typically. This is also why radar isn't really needed in Halo to begin with

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

This is also why radar isn't really needed in Halo to begin with

Radar isn’t going to be completely removed from Halo but by making it only detect advanced movement and gunshots, other than the Supressed BR, players can choose to use base movement and the utility to never appear on radar.  Radar acts a balancing factor against weapon and armor ability pick ups.  Vehicles also appear on radar so BTB gets the benefit of removing shotgun guy’s ability to camp a cave and watch radar without affecting players’ awareness of vehicle locations.

4 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I'd argue that suppressors/silencers don't really work in Halo. At least they didn't in H5. Since we're kind of used to not playing with a radar historically, the typical sound design of Halo, and the way your screen flashes in the direction you're being shot from all adds up to it just sounding different but allowing you to, like always, know exactly where someone is. I could see this being a cool effect for maybe new/casual players but at a high end I doubt it really causes a difference unless you're literally playing on stage in a super loud venue that would enable the quieter shots to be something you don't actually hear. This was the huge fuck up in H5 actually. You can still hear it, lol, if it stopped the sound from carrying it might be different. There are just so many tools and audio queues to figure out where players are that not appearing on a radar while shooting isn't really going to be a big deal typically. This is also why radar isn't really needed in Halo to begin with

The whole attachment thing is interesting to me just because this is one area where halo may not be able to lag behind on. Now, I don't mean we should have guns with custom shit for MP and have everything be a random gear fest. I'm talking about the doom\wolfenstein model of giving the player the opportunity to upgrade their gun in single player. Having your gun JUST be the gun it is isn't really a thing anymore.

It's not something I really care about one way or the other. I'm just making an observation.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:41 PM, Mr Grim said:

The whole attachment thing is interesting to me just because this is one area where halo may not be able to lag behind on. Now, I don't mean we should have guns with custom shit for MP and have everything be a random gear fest. I'm talking about the doom\wolfenstein model of giving the player the opportunity to upgrade their gun in single player. Having your gun JUST be the gun it is isn't really a thing anymore.

It's not something I really care about one way or the other. I'm just making an observation.

Eh?  Plenty of campaign games still have your weapon just be your weapon. I don't think there's this huge push for swappable attachments in games and even in a campaign scenario it's hard to imagine a spot where silencers would be useful. In dedicated stealth missions you could just have one attached by default and there'd be no incentive to take it off.  In other missions I guess you could have opportunities for stealth scattered here and there but regenerating health and high health pool largely removes the incentive for being stealthy.

DooMs system felt a little forced.  Some mod options were great but others were clearly tacked on because "well every other gun has a mod so we better have one too".  There was ZERO reason to ever not use Gauss Siege Mode or Minigun Tri-Barrel mode.  Halo, with its much more grounded sandbox design...I imagine it would be even harder to come up with meaningful options.  At least none that couldn't be handled better through just an alt-fire button or smartscope functionality change.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Eh?  Plenty of campaign games still have your weapon just be your weapon. I don't think there's this huge push for swappable attachments in games and even in a campaign scenario it's hard to imagine a spot where silencers would be useful. In dedicated stealth missions you could just have one attached by default and there'd be no incentive to take it off.  In other missions I guess you could have opportunities for stealth scattered here and there but regenerating health and high health pool largely removes the incentive for being stealthy.

DooMs system felt a little forced.  Some mod options were great but others were clearly tacked on because "well every other gun has a mod so we better have one too".  There was ZERO reason to ever not use Gauss Siege Mode or Minigun Tri-Barrel mode.  Halo, with its much more grounded sandbox design...I imagine it would be even harder to come up with meaningful options.  At least none that couldn't be handled better through just an alt-fire button or smartscope functionality change.

Really? Which fps campaigns still just stick you with a set loadout these days? 

We were talking about swappable weapon attachments tho.  Borderlands has a gazillion guns but they're all just the gun itself, unless I misinterpreted your statement.

As for campaign *loadouts* I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

We were talking about swappable weapon attachments tho.  Borderlands has a gazillion guns but they're all just the gun itself, unless I misinterpreted your statement.

As for campaign *loadouts* I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I'm talking about gun altering in a general sense. Doom does it one way, cod does (or did in a couple games at least) it another. I'm not talking specifically about one way. I brought up doom and Wolfenstein just because that seems to be the most balanced with regards to tradition and modernity.

I've got some videos I want you all to see.

A rag tag group of Halo fans came together to make a hybrid of classic and modern Halo gameplay on Halo 5 Guardians. The maps invoke the feeling that you've seen them before, but they're entirely new locations. You start with the H2BR and two frags, with a tweaked thrust and stabilize to spice up the original base movement formula. Assault and King of the Hill make a return. There is no radar.

Mythic...On.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Mythic...On.

Where did the catchphrase come from. Or rather, what was the thought process behind it? 

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

You start with the H2BR and two frags, with a tweaked thrust and stabilize to spice up the original base movement formula. 

What were the tweaks exactly?

13 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

What were the tweaks exactly?

80% duration for both, along with Thrust taking longer to recharge.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Jeff Steitzer announces it in Reach Firefight when the Mythic Skull activates.

No, I meant, why end the post on it. Is it the catchphrase of the gametype, or was it just for dramatic effect.