CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Sprint isn't needed for anything.

All BTB needs:

-Vehicles, particularly transport vehicles.

-Mancannons / Teleporters

-Maps with actually good infantry pathing like Sidewinder/Avalanche or Danger Canyon instead of large fields from one end to the other players are forced to walk straight across like Sandtrap or Blood Gulch.

-Reworked spawn system (spawn near teammate, spawn at location, etc).

-Faster BMS wouldn't hurt.

You add sprint to BTB and not to arena people are just gonna be like "did muh spartan forget how to run hurr durr".

how dare you immpune the honor of sandtrap

Hearing some good things tho so might have to get it again.

Don't, at least not just yet. They just started testing patches and while they went pretty well so far there is no significant difference and we still don't know how much they will fuck up the playlists this time around.

-Maps with actually good infantry pathing like Sidewinder/Avalanche or Danger Canyon instead of large fields from one end to the other players are forced to walk straight across like Sandtrap or Blood Gulch.

Sidewinder and Danger Canyon are pretty much exactly what NOT to do. Yes it's slighly better than Blood Gulch, but then again that map is fucking stupid and overrated in the first place. Sidewinder/Avalanche force infantry players into tiny corridors with zero ability to flank or make interesting plays. It's literally the Pit, but if all hallways besides green and long hall were closed off. Danger Canyon is the epitome of "stay in narrow halways or get shrekt by vehicles", seriously did anyone on foot ever use the road to get to the middle instead of spawning and rushing straight into that tunnel?

Off the top of my head, maps with actually decent infantry options are: Terminal, Headlong, Rats Nest, Longbow (not that abysmal remake in H5 though), Meltdown.

• Upvote (+1) 2

After the Xbox briefing, 343 clarified in a blog post that the trailer was for the engine, not the game, but this was not communicated on the stage itself

Welp I hope you guys are ready for 3 more years of H5.

Figured as much

All BTB needs:

You add sprint to BTB and not to arena people are just gonna be like "did muh spartan forget how to run hurr durr".

Yeah this is how I feel. I can’t imagine it going down well at all.

Consistent movement mechanics would be a priority for me and then build the maps around that with use of vehicles etc.

I might be wrong but I imagine building maps a certain way and then changing movement to fit that from one gametype to another would likely create more grief for 343 than keeping it all sprint or all no sprint.

i know what you mean and you're not wrong. halo 2 prepatch was pathetic, id play h5 over it

I'd rather have to melee someone 15 times to kill them than have to deal with people sprinting/sliding/spartan charging/hovering/ground pounding/thrusting/clambering around the map. Oh, and at least you could aim correctly in pre-patch h2.

Snip

I try not to bother with waypoint too much but I think someone should point out to them that there are videos showing that sprint doesn’t really decrease the time it takes you to get places compared to non sprint titles. As in the scale of maps increased to a point that all sprint is really doing is taking away your ability to shoot. It may feel like you’re getting somewhere faster compared to older titles but you’re not really.

I feel like it’s not that difficult of a concept to grasp. There are maths problems in grade school that deal with it.

“Train A is travelling at 50mph to a station 50 miles away. Train B is travelling at 100mph to a station 100 miles away. Which train arrives first?”

• Upvote (+1) 3

https://www.artstation.com/rogelio/blog/0r7a/343-industries-here-i-come-and-goodbye-naughtydog

That Slipspace engine seems to have attracted at least one dev...

Always loved the Halo universe and 343 has something special coming up. Something so special that 343 managed to rip me from the clutches of a studio I hold near and dear to my heart Naughty Dog! I have been at ND for almost 6 years now and it has been the longest studio I have ever worked at in my career. ND has been by far the best studio I have worked in my entire experience as a game dev.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I try not to bother with waypoint too much but I think someone should point out to them that there are videos showing that sprint doesn’t really decrease the time it takes you to get places compared to non sprint titles. As in the scale of maps increased to a point that all sprint is really doing is taking away your ability to shoot. It may feel like you’re getting somewhere faster compared to older titles but you’re not really.

I feel like it’s not that difficult of a concept to grasp. There are maths problems in grade school that deal with it.

“Train A is travelling at 50mph to a station 50 miles away. Train B is travelling at 100mph to a station 100 miles away. Which train arrives first?”

In practice, you are getting places faster though because everyone is sprint-thrust-slide-flying across the map.

All BTB needs:

As someone who only plays BTB I just wanted to say, you're 100% spot on.

We hate sprint in the BTB community too. Give me actual dev made maps. Honestly, the only map 343 made that has been decent for BTB in my opinion is Longbow. BTB in H5 was doomed as soon as they announced Warzone and their huge focus on it. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh i have. Many times. and just did again as other people in that thread have too its just that most players don't actually care to inform themselves or think about it critically.  EVERY single argument in favor of sprint really just boils down to "I want to feel fast". Of course we know that "Feeling" can be accomplished in other ways that don't effect literally every other design element of the game in a negative way.

I think there's a gif somewhere comparing Halo 3 to Halo 5 and it actually took less time to move somewhere for Halo 3 then Halo 5.

Edit: Found it.

https://gfycat.com/dizzynegativeamethystsunbird

• Upvote (+1) 7

bg5wfg8ODvwIYqAXHGm_qCMjlgBdhleJZ_srPwik

“ Halo is master chief”

For once I wish halo fanbase let the chief go. It’s time for something new for campaign since Master chief is overused.

Edit: Here comes the downvotes

“ Halo is master chief”

For once I wish halo fanbase let the chief go. It’s time for something new for campaign since Master chief is overused.

Edit: Here comes the downvotes

Nah no downvote.  The thing that should have been new was Cortana dying. but they mucked that up.  If they want to move on from chief they need to establish another characters first, then kill him off. Certainly not a job for Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nah no downvote. The thing that should have been new was Cortana dying. but they mucked that up. If they want to move on from chief they need to establish another characters first, then kill him off. Certainly not a job for Halo 6.

Buddy cop campaign with Palmer and Locke lol

Buddy cop campaign with Palmer and Locke lol

LOL it would have to be Palmer or Locke and Buck.  At least one of them needs to have a sense of humor.

I don't see Master Chief as central to Halo's identity at all.  Especially since for most of the games he's just a silent protagonist that's barely present.  Reach has no Chief and yet no one would tell you that the Campaign doesn't feel like a Halo story.

I don't have a problem with them getting rid of the Chief (aside from killing him off for no reason)I have a problem with them getting rid of every other identifiable element of the franchise.  Flood is gone.  Covenant is slowly being phased out in favor of Prometheans.  Prometheans look nothing like the Bungie games have established Forerunner machinery to look like.  Chief or not I'm no longer playing Halo, I'm playing some generic vs Robots game.

@@lofike accidental neg.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Video by LevelCap

Imho Halo has more potential than any other franchise that I've ever played or seen, and even at its peak never reached its true potential, I just want at least some of that potential to be actualized. It's time for 343 to stop pandering to the hypothetical crowd of millions of unknown and unheard gamers that wont play the game unless it has gameplay mechanics from other games, and start doubling down on the gameplay that is already tried and true. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

All BTB needs:

Mancannons are evil.

We definitely need multiple spawn systems built into the game and accessible in custom options. Have teammate-based spawning available for 2v2s, location spawning for objective, etc. This should be possible. I want to say Halo 2 kind of had this but IIRC it based mostly on respawn timing (every X seconds, intervals, etc.) than on location or logic.

I still think Halo 5 has the best default settings of any Halo except Halo 1.

Also Halo 5 is way better than what most of you are giving it credit for, at least for 4v4. I only play doubles and 4v4 so I may be a bit biased, I understand the BTB community was screwed. 1v1s are also not great.

No, it sucks. Bad maps, bad mechanics, bad sandbox, bad gametypes. Bad across the board.

Don't, at least not just yet. They just started testing patches and while they went pretty well so far there is no significant difference and we still don't know how much they will fuck up the playlists this time around.

Sidewinder and Danger Canyon are pretty much exactly what NOT to do. Yes it's slighly better than Blood Gulch, but then again that map is fucking stupid and overrated in the first place. Sidewinder/Avalanche force infantry players into tiny corridors with zero ability to flank or make interesting plays. It's literally the Pit, but if all hallways besides green and long hall were closed off. Danger Canyon is the epitome of "stay in narrow halways or get shrekt by vehicles", seriously did anyone on foot ever use the road to get to the middle instead of spawning and rushing straight into that tunnel?

Off the top of my head, maps with actually decent infantry options are: Terminal, Headlong, Rats Nest, Longbow (not that abysmal remake in H5 though), Meltdown.

I'd add Highlands to the list of maps with good infantry options. It was a little too big for the 6v6 DLC playlists they kept it confined to but in the rare event you got that full 8v8 CTF match it was pretty good.

And don't talk shit about Danger Canyon.

I think there's a gif somewhere comparing Halo 3 to Halo 5 and it actually took less time to move somewhere for Halo 3 then Halo 5.

Edit: Found it.

https://gfycat.com/dizzynegativeamethystsunbird

Can this be the main menu backdrop for Infinite?

• Upvote (+1) 2

IMO a flawed argument as they need to hire all these engineers which takes away resources from other branches of development. I get what you're saying though.

Bottom line we're gonna have to agree to disagree here. To me 343 (again the company not the average 343 employee) has proven too many times that they are incompetent and can't get shit done in a timely fashion so I refuse to consider this announcement as something to get hyped over. I wish I could be more optimistic, but in terms of Halo in the last 6 years, having a healthy "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude has paid off.

The flawed argument is the assumption that hiring engineers to build the engine is using resources that would have otherwise gone to Halo 6 development. That’s just not how budgeting works.

If MS decided to invest in a new engine, then it was likely a budget added on top of what would have been slotted for Halo anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Video by LevelCap

Imho Halo has more potential than any other franchise that I've ever played or seen, and even at its peak never reached its true potential, I just want at least some of that potential to be actualized. It's time for 343 to stop pandering to the hypothetical crowd of millions of unknown and unheard gamers that wont play the game unless it has gameplay mechanics from other games, and start doubling down on the gameplay that is already tried and true. 

To me Halo was already its own genre almost. They've proven that moving away from that towards other titles stagnates growth and lowers player engagement because they've been on the cusp of losing all relevance in a world where gaming as a whole is getting even larger. That points to the fact that this IS a developer problem and not a platform or genre issue. Levels like the Silent Cartographer in SP which stick out as what Halo is and can be should've been the default moving forward rather than being an anomaly which is often mentioned but never repeated. That should just be bigger and better with newer hardware but we move in the exact opposite direction with every iteration of Halo. If I were them I'd just make something like that level but 5x larger with varying objectives and rewards as a proof of concept of what things could be just to see the reaction people had to it. The biggest issue here is seamlessly moving between areas on such a large map without obvious loading and so many AI but I feel like that can be overcome with servers and being clever about when, how, and what is actually rendered

4v4 multiplayer is beaten to death. We know what works the best and what Halo really is in that regard and its confusing how its repeatedly changed and pointed away from what makes it so good. They can still do so much more with larger gametypes but neither bungie nor 343 has EVER delivered on that front. They just make big fields instead of taking advantage of what a large sandbox could actually be with huge player counts and npcs. Warzone actually showed glimpses of what could happen but they were too focused on hoping people would buy and use REQs to see further

• Upvote (+1) 8