CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Assassinations already increase your respawn timer, given that you're forced to spend 3 seconds watching a dumbass animation before the respawn timer kicks in.

• Upvote (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

How about we just focus on getting back blood before gore? Baby steps people remember who we're dealing with here. Not to mention having gore tied to anything other than the Flood would look way out of place in the game's current art style. Maybe in Reach's art style (as we will soon see in Gears 5), but not anything else we've seen so far.

Promethean weapons, designed to neutralize and sanitize Flood, should leave virtually no mess.  Brute weapons, like Spikers and Hammers, should leave a big mess.  Humans should be in between.  Blood but no gibs.  

2 minutes ago, Basu said:

Assassinations already increase your respawn timer, given that you're forced to spend 3 seconds watching a dumbass animation before the respawn timer kicks in.

An Assassination could steal the chip from the back of the enemy’s head (punch your fist through his head and rip it out), giving the player some kind of info about the enemy team.  Ten seconds of enhanced radar or something.

28 minutes ago, Boyo said:

An Assassination could steal the chip from the back of the enemy’s head (punch your fist through his head and rip it out), giving the player some kind of info about the enemy team.  Ten seconds of enhanced radar or something.

Or just have some meaningless social feature like getting their dogtags or whatever like in BlOps. I don't see how an assassination would ever be preferable to a backsmack mechanically. It's just catharsis.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck assassinations.  I ALWAYS turn that shit off. Why would i want lo lock myself in an animation for that long? Its like 10-20 times longer than a clamber animation and even that shit is annoying. They shouldn't give you anything special. I hate how they actually tie things like achievements and other shit to them.  You want me, to put myself in a defenseless position for 7 seconds 100 times to get some achievement or skin or some shit? Thats almost 12 minutes of game time where i am exposed and defenseless. Assassinations are literally only good for trolling people and they can die in a fire.

Edit: and to the point of allowing an assassination to extend a respawn time..... they already do that.  You don't actually "die" and start the timer until the animation is finished so the whole time you're getting your head smashed in, a sticky grenade stuck to it, picked up by the leg, swung around in a circle then FINALLY blown up and die you are essentially in an extended respawn.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t like watching Reload animations but if I want a full clip, I do it.  Similarly, if I want whatever benefit the assassination animation provides, I execute this completely optional attack.

The “it already extends your respawn” argument isn’t very strong because it takes one player from each team out of the game for the same amount of time.  It doesn’t give the assassinator’s team any advantage over the assassinatee’s team.

@Apoll0

Reloading is required, whether it's because you're out of ammo and you can no longer shoot or you're reloading after a fight to set yourself up for the next fight. 

3 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Reloading is required, whether it's because you're out of ammo and you can no longer shoot or you're reloading after a fight to set yourself up for the next fight. 

And Assassinations, especially if they had their own button instead of hold melee, are completely optional.  Never want to perform an assassination?  Then don’t hit that button.

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

And Assassinations, especially if they had their own button instead of hold melee, are completely optional.  Never want to perform an assassination?  Then don’t hit that button.

But why are you comparing reloading (required) to an assassination (optional).

Just now, JordanB said:

But why are you comparing reloading (required) to an assassination (optional).

Because if one wants the benefit that the action provides, then one must wait through the animation that that action requires.

I say keep assassinations and the option to disable them like H5. Let the casuals have their fun, just let me back-smack the old fashioned way. Assassinating has its perks believe or not...

1. They look cool in trailers and other media

2. Yoinking is funny (bring back the medal and voice line 343)

3. Showstopping is both funny and cool

4. Doing 2 and 3 actually helps your teammates stay alive longer (though you shouldn't have to Yoink if your teammate is smart)

I suppose I'm biased since I love Showstopping and Yoinking. Felt so nice back in Reach because of how Jeff delivered his lines. Speaking of which, can we please bring back how Jeff sounded in H3/Reach? Hands down the best version of the announcer. The shield recharge noise gives me a little bit of hope for something like this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing other than betrayals should ever extend your respawn time.  The respawn time is used as a tool to balance the flow of the game which is why traditionally slayer has been 5 seconds and objective has been 10. The removal of that in Halo 5 is imo a terribly underappreciated failing of their attempt at "universality".  its a purposeful pacing tool and nothing should randomly fuck with it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Apoll0 said:

Nothing other than betrayals should ever extend your respawn time.  The respawn time is used as a tool to balance the flow of the game which is why traditionally slayer has been 5 seconds and objective has been 10. The removal of that in Halo 5 is imo and underappreciated failing of their attempt at "universality".  its a purposeful pacing tool and nothing should randomly fuck with it.

If the purpose of the respawn timer is to balance the flow of the game, why is it ok for betrayals to modify that game flow by extending the standard respawn time?

9 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Speaking of which, can we please bring back how Jeff sounded in H3/Reach? Hands down the best version of the announcer. The shield recharge noise gives me a little bit of hope for something like this.

I was actually giving the studio the benefit of the doubt on the announcer. I thought he was just getting old.

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

betrayals

oh fuck

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Just now, Boyo said:

If the purpose of the respawn timer is to balance the flow of the game, why is it ok for betrayals to modify that game flow by extending the standard respawn time?

1. They're rare.  Certainly way more rare than assassinations.
  2. Betrayal penalties serve as a quality of life "nudge" for the player that committed it. "hey, be more careful with your teammates"
  3. Its a consequence the player brought upon themselves by doing something stupid.  Extended respawn via assassination is an annoying thing added to the victim that inevitably leads to more and more cheese gameplay.  Which is simply not fun.  Ideally, extended respawn from betrayals leads to less betrayals and less cheese
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I say keep assassinations and the option to disable them like H5. Let the casuals have their fun, just let me back-smack the old fashioned way. Assassinating has its perks believe or not...

1. They look cool in trailers and other media

2. Yoinking is funny (bring back the medal and voice line 343)

3. Showstopping is both funny and cool

4. Doing 2 and 3 actually helps your teammates stay alive longer (though you shouldn't have to Yoink if your teammate is smart)

I suppose I'm biased since I love Showstopping and Yoinking. Felt so nice back in Reach because of how Jeff delivered his lines. Speaking of which, can we please bring back how Jeff sounded in H3/Reach? Hands down the best version of the announcer. The shield recharge noise gives me a little bit of hope for something like this.

yeah, all of this is totally fine as long as i have the option to turn it off.  I just think tying extending respawn time to getting assassinated is stupid.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

The player made a mistake and the game is punishing him for it.  I believe that statement could be true in reference to both betrayals and assassinations.

Assassinations would be inherently more rare, as only melee weapons and objectives can perform them (weapons with unused melee buttons).

If the sacred respawn timer has already been sullied by the filthy touch of betrayal, I don’t think another mechanic that modifies it is sacrilege.

I’m not married to the idea of “assassination = extended respawn” but I do think it would be cool to have some benefit to performing this lengthy and dangerous animation.

@Apoll0

22 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Legit fell off my chair laughing when I first heard the H2A announcer. Wtf were they thinking with all these Optimus Prime effects? It's also comical how they forgot to track a few voice lines for IIRC Territories and Assault so they just copy-pasted the lines without the effects from Reach or H3 and it creates a really jarring experience.

Extending the spawn time when someone betrays you just allows your team to get throttled even harder since it's a 3v4. Pretty easy solution to this problem tho. Just uhhhh take it out of the game. 

• Simms (+1) 1

Assassinations are a very clever and intelligent game design choice that lets me know I should never team with someone who uses them, so honestly bravo on that one 343. 

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Because if one wants the benefit that the action provides, then one must wait through the animation that that action requires.

I'd rather my teammate just get the kill instead of being out of the battle for a few seconds of the assassination AND take the risk of dying before getting the kill. Everyone who has a Sword/Flag/etc. are gonna try to be cool by doing this and it's going to lead to more frustration (losing the kill/wasting time by not helping to kill others/wasting time by going for a kill instead of capturing the objective) than it will lead to "wow I'm so happy the enemy had a longer respawn timer". Ehh no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

This x1000. I absolute hate the announcements in Halo 4 and 5. The only good ones are the hail mary and perrrfect. Definitely medals I think should stay. The old medals need to come back as well. Each and every medal was unique but still looked like it belonged in Halo. All the new medals have that same blue and silver template and are just ugly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

This x1000. I absolute hate the announcements in Halo 4 and 5. The only good ones are the hail mary and perrrfect. Definitely medals I think should stay. The old medals need to come back as well. Each and every medal was unique but still looked like it belonged in Halo. All the new medals have that same blue and silver template and are just ugly. 

H5's medals are a tiny bit less gross and blue/grey like H4s and MCCs are. Tiny bit. Maybe the third fourth time will be a charm.

Also @Boyo putting assassinations solely on objectives is just asking for shitheads to run the flag the wrong way and ruin the game for everyone. Don't care about the sword and hammer that might be interesting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The player made a mistake and the game is punishing him for it.  I believe that statement could be true in reference to both betrayals and assassinations.

Assassinations would be inherently more rare, as only melee weapons and objectives can perform them (weapons with unused melee buttons).

If the sacred respawn timer has already been sullied by the filthy touch of betrayal, I don’t think another mechanic that modifies it is sacrilege.

I’m not married to the idea of “assassination = extended respawn” but I do think it would be cool to have some benefit to performing this lengthy and dangerous animation.

@Apoll0

I just don't understand why everything has to have some sort of design "extra" risk vs. reward element. Or layering advantages on top of one another.  If you have a ball and it gets you a quicker or guaranteed melee kill (not that i think it should, just for the sake or argument) why do we need to also throw an extended respawn time on top of it? You got the kill. You still have the objective. That is the advantage. This type of implementation would also lead to a lot of griefing from people chasing those assassinations and undoubtedly the achievements that will go with it.

The respawn timer already being sullied is immaterial.  2 wrongs don't make a right.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I just don't understand why everything has to have some sort of design "extra" risk vs. reward element. Or layering advantages on top of one another.  If you have a ball and it gets you a quicker or guaranteed melee kill (not that i think it should, just for the sake or argument) why do we need to also throw an extended respawn time on top of it? You got the kill. You still have the objective. That is the advantage. This type of implementation would also lead to a lot of griefing from people chasing those assassinations and undoubtedly the achievements that will go with it.

The respawn timer already being sullied is immaterial.  2 wrongs don't make a right.  

Hmmmm getting the kill and still having positioning is enough of an advantage you say? Hmmmm that sounds familiar.