CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, OG Nick said:

Point is 343 has never made a classic Halo game. They told someone else too and it's a watered down Halo 2 with a slow strafe, H4 bullet magnetism, hit markers, and grenade indicators. 

Given they're the ultimate arbiter, they would've provided the instructions for the people with the tools to work. It's not like CA just gets freeroam, obviously there'd be guidelines for a remaster. Point being, they obviously know what they're doing if H2A is what we got. Whether or not they wanted to carry that forward is different than understanding how to do it. 

18 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'll never forget the amount of times this line was taken out of context to suit a point, and how many times that quote's been cleared up already here. When it didn't refer to tanking a franchise (Obviously), but also bringing in people who'd never worked on Halo to bring a fresh, outsider's perspective or potential new avenues of improvement into the series. But you'd never hear that here. 

Okay, what do they for sure not get about a "classic" Halo. These are the same people who worked on H2A. Pretty obvious they get it, and could imitate and improve upon it to a tee if they wanted to.

I’ve never watched the interview but if he really said the “people who hate halo” then why do you think people take that out of context?  What we got with h4 was basically call of duty with sleight halo elements added into it. It lets me know as a halo fan these people really hated previous halo and wanted halo to be more like cod. Come on in h4 we literally had “perks”, which is usually a cod exclusive feature. 

An outsiders perspective is not important or should be acknowledged. I don’t want a call of duty or battlefield fan having control of what goes into halo, and I’m sure cod fans don’t want that either regarding halo fans, heck’s during the Advanced warfare days a lot of people compared it to halo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

> Still falling for IcePrincess trolling

Also "AAA Player Investment Experience" imagine actually coming up with that phrase and publishing it with a straight face. I aspire to one day be that shameless.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

I’ve never watched the interview but if he really said the “people who hate halo” then why do you think people take that out of context?  What we got with h4 was basically call of duty with sleight halo elements added into it. It lets me know as a halo fan these people really hated previous halo and wanted halo to be more like cod. Come on in h4 we literally had “perks”, which is usually a cod exclusive feature. 

An outsiders perspective is not important or should be acknowledged. I don’t want a call of duty or battlefield fan having control of what goes into halo, and I’m sure cod fans don’t want that either regarding halo fans, heck’s during the Advanced warfare days a lot of people compared it to halo. 

People take it out of context because they hear what they wanna hear, and what suits their points, regardless of how fallacious it is. See it time and time again in multiple environments, across multiple franchises.

And I don't see why you wouldn't want a new perspective into things. How these players or designers see things may very well open up the mind to improvements or QoL fixes, rather than just catering to your smaller, niche group of gamers who're only used to what they've played, with large biases. Shifting territory is great with regards to actually improving yourself, or trying to find ways to do new things.

If "bringing a new perspective" is making your franchise look more like another franchise, then you're now just going to deliver a worse version of either game that won't hold any real player base. See Halo 4 and Halo 5. To an extent Halo Reach as well, but it had better population retention than 4 or 5 (I assume).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

There’s a difference between innovating within the framework of Halo and blatantly copy pasting customizable load outs, perks, killstreaks, hitmarkers, sprint, and flinch.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

People take it out of context because they hear what they wanna hear, and what suits their points, regardless of how fallacious it is. See it time and time again in multiple environments, across multiple franchises.

And I don't see why you wouldn't want a new perspective into things. How these players or designers see things may very well open up the mind to improvements or QoL fixes, rather than just catering to your smaller, niche group of gamers who're only used to what they've played, with large biases. Shifting territory is great with regards to actually improving yourself, or trying to find ways to do new things.

There's a difference between a "new/outside perspective" and "those who hate Halo" 

• Like (+1) 7

The Ordnance System 

The new Ordnance system has three main differences from its predecessor.  

1) what items are selectable in Ordnance 

2) how Ordnance is obtained 

3) how an Ordnance item is equipped 

The selection of items available in a specific Ordnance is controlled by the map/gametype designer.  The items are not random (unless the map designer sets them to be).

Ordnance becomes available by different means in different gametypes.  In one gametype, capturing a Neutral Objective grants the player Ordnance (first cap Ordnance selection can be different than second cap Ordnance selection).  In another gametype, a certain number of kills without dying grants the player Ordnance (three kill Ordnance selection can be different than five kill Ordnance selection).  In another gametype, being within an object’s radius grants the player Ordnance (object one Ordnance selection can be different than object two Ordnance selection).

When Ordnance is available, a HUD widget with three options will appear.  Down, Left, and Right on the D pad select between Ordnance option 1, 2, or 3.  Selecting a Power Up activates it immediately.  Selecting a weapon raises it immediately, as if just picked up (equipped weapon becomes secondary weapon and secondary weapon is disabled until ordnance weapon runs out of ammo and unequips itself).  Selecting a vehicle causes it to quickly materialize in front of the user.  Selecting ammo, grenades, an armor ability, or equipment adds it to the user’s inventory.

Once certain conditions are met, a preset selection of items become available.  The player can select, and immediately equip, one of these items by using the D pad.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'll never forget the amount of times this line was taken out of context to suit a point, and how many times that quote's been cleared up already here. When it didn't refer to tanking a franchise (Obviously), but also bringing in people who'd never worked on Halo to bring a fresh, outsider's perspective or potential new avenues of improvement into the series. But you'd never hear that here. 

Okay, what do they for sure not get about a "classic" Halo. These are the same people who worked on H2A. Pretty obvious they get it, and could imitate and improve upon it to a tee if they wanted to.

I know the context of the quote and I understand the reasoning behind it. It doesnt make them any incompontent. But Yeah, “improvement into the series.” Funny way of saying making the game more like Call of Duty and killing the franchise more and more every year. 

I’m sure Infinite will have a utility that shoots straight and that’s all that will matter to you and you’ll have a great time. Awesome. Meanwhile, the game will be everything Halo fans don’t want and it will quickly fall into obscurity just as Halo 4 and 5 did. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

I know the context of the quote and I understand the reasoning behind it. It doesnt make them any incompontent. But Yeah, “improvement into the series.” Funny way of saying making the game more like Call of Duty and killing the franchise more and more every year. 

I’m sure Infinite will have a utility that shoots straight and that’s all that will matter to you and you’ll a great time. Awesome. Meanwhile, the game will be everything Halo fans don’t want and it will quickly fall into obscurity just Halo 4 and 5 did. 

I never once said what they actually ended up doing was the good part, just the idea of broadening their staff horizons. Former's just a matter of perspective.

Dunno what Infinite has to do with this, though. More so to the point, if it has things I like, and results in me playing it, then obviously it's something a Halo fan wants given I play games in the franchise and tend to enjoy them, lol. Are we gonna start this slippery slope of insinuating who's a true(er) fan and who isn't based on what they like, again?

Barring the fact we, yunno, dunno anything about the game, so, lol.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

An outside perspective isn’t wanted because those people didn’t care for halo to begin with. Like if this feature the outsiders want is added do you believe they’ll stay in halo or just go back to the game that had that feature first? And most likely does it way better. 

Many halo fans want an experience like halo 3, (sorry CE boys your game isn’t enjoyed by most) deep down they want a faster version of that which easily is done with a better sandbox and movement speed buff(120% I say is perfect), they don’t want h4 or H5 heck’s advanced movement isn’t even liked these days. The only acceptable movement these days are sprint, slide, and clamber. 

Id go as far to say something like reach v7 or h2a with a faster bms would be a great classic halo experience, and make shots projectile.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

If 343 made a game with gameplay identical to Halo 2 with killer graphics, a classic artstyle, and all the legacy features, it still wouldn’t take off like some people think it might. This might be an unpopular opinion. Replace “Halo 2” with any other game in series and it’s the same. All the games got something right. But there’s room for some serious polish.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Gobias said:

If 343 made a game with gameplay identical to Halo 2 with killer graphics, a classic artstyle, and all the legacy features, it still wouldn’t take off like some people think it might. This might be an unpopular opinion. Replace “Halo 2” with any other game in series and it’s the same. All the games got something right. But there’s room for some serious polish.

If it’s more like halo 3 I bet it would go off. Stop acting like h2 was the best or is what people think of when they hear halo. You know for a fact the majority think of h3. I’m 20 years old, my generation and the younger know more about h3. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

If it’s more like halo 3 I bet it would go off. Stop acting like h2 was the best or is what people think of when they hear halo. You know for a fact the majority think of h3. I’m 20 years old, my generation and the younger know more about h3. 

So did you just like not read his post at all? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, Arlong said:

An outside perspective isn’t wanted because those people didn’t care for halo to begin with. Like if this feature the outsiders want is added do you believe they’ll stay in halo or just go back to the game that had that feature first? And most likely does it way better. 

Many halo fans want an experience like halo 3, (sorry CE boys your game isn’t enjoyed by most) deep down they want a faster version of that which easily is done with a better sandbox and movement speed buff(120% I say is perfect), they don’t want h4 or H5 heck’s advanced movement isn’t even liked these days. The only acceptable movement these days are sprint, slide, and clamber. 

Depends on how said feature's implemented. If it's done better, people will stay, if it's done worse, they'll go. Although, I don't think that'd be the sole driving force. If you added a Halo gameplay feature to CoD, I don't think Halo players would stay or go solely based on that feature's implementation, they'd go because CoD itself is a wildly different beast, already.

To the latter, I dunno, dude, lol. People don't watch good H3 tournaments, let alone play it.

• Toxic (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Gobias said:

At this point if they carbon copied H2 and gave it some nice modern bells and whistles it'd probably do better than H4/H5 but that's not a high bar. If 343 wants Halo to be the game to own again it's gonna need a lot more than gameplay that doesn't borrow from other franchises. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gobias said:

That’s the thing that makes me laugh about this place sometimes.  Someone will post something like “guys, I had an idea, how about a quick killing utility weapon that is hard to use perfectly and only loses to power weapons and the strafe is good” and it gets much praise and everyone agrees.  

Like yeah, no fucking shit that needs to happen but so does soooo much more in order to be successful today.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

What do you like about Halo?

How it can looks, how it feels, the type of gameplay it can enforce at its subjective best, and the gap between those who suck and those who're gods being much wider than some other games. Among other things.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheIcePrincess said:

How it can looks, how it feels, the type of gameplay it can enforce at its subjective best, and the gap between those who suck and those who're gods being much wider than some other games. Among other things.

Could you be any more vague?

Just now, Boyo said:

Could you be any more vague?

No, I don't think I could. Mostly because I like varying things in what I listed across varying titles in varying contexts, lol. I don't have a "specific" thing I like for most things. The only thing I can elaborate on is how longer killtimes have more of a tendency to enable better players to dominate bots. Or, rather, show it better. Since you have a full second or so of fighting you can process. And learning that curve on its own is its own reward.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, My Namez BEAST said:

So did you just like not read his post at all? 

Nah man, this a forum, where people interact solely via text. Not reading posts would almost seem to invalidate the point of it all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

At this point if they carbon copied H2 and gave it some nice modern bells and whistles it'd probably do better than H4/H5 but that's not a high bar. If 343 wants Halo to be the game to own again it's gonna need a lot more than gameplay that doesn't borrow from other franchises. 

If they brought back all the fun social features like a robust file share and file browser, clan system, server browser, party up, and mod support, I’m certain the franchise could at least become relevant again. 

Obviously, the first priority is a game that’s fun and plays like a traditional Halo game. We can debate the specific nitty gritty details surrounding gameplay, but advanced mobility Halo will never ever be popular. It’s pretty clear most people want classic movement back. I was working midnights at a 7-Eleven for a few months and every single time someone recognized my Halo tattoo, we would have this exact conversation. This occurred at least 2 or 3 nights per week  

So even randos I meet in person want the franchise to return to its roots. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Basu said:

H2A is exactly why they don't get it lmao. Hitmarkers? Check. Obnoxious bullshit like sun glare and gimmicky bubble shield on top mid on Ascension? Check. Grenade indicators? Check. Frame drops all over the place? Check. Sloppy strafe and way too much magnetism? Check. Remaking only 7 maps and then choosing quite possibly the worst ones they could've chosen? Check. Probably the only reason it doesn't have sprint and thrust is because halfway through development Dan Ayoob realized they're working on a H2 remake and not a H4 expansion. H2A is fun despite all that nonsense, not because of it. It's only redeeming qualities are that 1) gameplay still somewhat resembles H2, if I had to grade it in that aspect would be a D+ and 2) the visuals and sound, because they paid an external studio to do all the environmental design and animations for them.

I'll take a whoosh for 500. Lotta this has buttfuck all to do with actual gameplay. And some of this isn't even exclusive to H2A. Like the strafe and mag properties which we know carry over to other older Halos. If anything, the gameplay flaws like that should make it more obvious they understand how to make an older-style Halo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3
  • Salt (-1) 1