CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 hours ago, Basu said:

Hell current games need to add this.  I still have an OG xbox one and its straight up shit.  I still play Blackout occasionally and will die from people that I literally can't see. My buddy on his One X is like "how did you not see that?" and i go "he looked like just part of the texture of that rock" and he's like, "Thats not a rock, its a car".

I wish i was joking but that conversation has actually happened. If i could just plug a controller into my PC and we could still play together, it would be so much better.

• Like (+1) 1

Unreal on PS3 had those features over a decade ago.  It allows controller and MKB and you could choose which you wanted to play against, just other controller users or everyone.

16 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Hell current games need to add this.  I still have an OG xbox one and its straight up shit.  I still play Blackout occasionally and will die from people that I literally can't see. My buddy on his One X is like "how did you not see that?" and i go "he looked like just part of the texture of that rock" and he's like, "Thats not a rock, its a car".

I wish i was joking but that conversation has actually happened. If i could just plug a controller into my PC and we could still play together, it would be so much better. 

Haha same I recently upgraded to a new graphics card and fuck me the original Xbone looks even more terrible now. This mid-cycle console nonsense with the PS4 pro and Xbone X completely ruined what consoles were all about. With splitscreen dying more and more and having to install every game even on consoles (instead of the good ol' pop in the disk and play) nowadays PC is just 100% the better platform unless you're 100% a couch gamer kinda guy.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

4 minutes ago, Basu said:

This mid-cycle console nonsense with the PS4 pro and Xbone X completely ruined what consoles were all about. 

Yup.  Doubt I will buy another console for this exact reason.  It was nice not having to worry about upgrades for the life of the console.  Might as well get all the benefits of a PC if I’m going to have to upgrade my console like a PC.

Even if you are a couch gamer, a DVI to HDMI cable, a wireless controller, in a micro atx case is all you need, or a full size tower even if you have room.

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

The portal gimmick looks to me like a great way to just flank/get flanked without earning it. I could see that as being 1 gun in a game, but everybody having it looks like a mess.

I would make it a piece of Equipment with three uses.  First shot creates an inactive portal.  Second shot links the two portals.  Third shot links the third portal with the second, destroying the first.  The player could travel from portal 1 to portal 2, fire a third portal, then walk back through portal 2 to portal 3.  This is enough where a player could get around a large obstruction by taking a > or an L shaped route.  It would also allow for map design where the user’s first trip, from portal 1 to portal 2, takes him to a dangerous area that requires him to survive, fire portal 3, and pass through portal 2 to reap the benefits of the equipment, else it’s just something that took him to a place that killed him.

On 8/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, Gobias said:

I think the failure of more abstract weapons like a gravity gun in playtests is a result of level design. You can’t have traditional Halo encounters and expect players to pick up a weapon that doesn’t output damage as efficiently as a normal gun. That being said, most people who buy a Halo game probably aren’t expecting to have to use their brains in puzzle-like levels. Maybe adding gravity volumes you can turn on to mix up gameplay would work.

Back in, like, late 2014 when this whole advanced movement shitshow started, I envisioned a Zero G map - maybe some kind of blasted spacewreck and the rubble is conveniently shaped like decent level geometry - where players have to account for the kinetic energy of their thrusts and clambers to get where they want to go and avoid careening off into a shit position/the blackness of space. In retrospect it's a really bad idea that would need some genius designing so as not to be the worst thing since anal cancer and doesn't actually work with Halo 5 well at all, but I think there could be more interesting map ideas in that general direction. Intentionally rethinking which surfaces a player can walk on, for example, and creating a map where, in certain positions, gravity pulls in a different direction besides down, could facilitate some bonkers-ass encounter where you're shooting above you at someone playing the map upside down. Imagine launching a gravity gun projectile straight and having it reach terminal velocity because it's traveling *down* relative to its target. The stuff this would do to grenades alone is wild.

Failing any of that craziness, my initial thoughts for a gravity gun are that it should be prioritized for a few objective/BTB maps. Ricochet is practically made for something like this, but also Oddball and CTF (stretching maybe CTF is probably the sweatiest in this list) and not even mentioning the possibilities for Griffball and Infection and Race for social players like my sister. Also with vehicles you have an entire extra layer of fuckery and ridiculousness to play with, like fucking up a Warthog with another fucking Warthog. Tossing Banshee bits at people like it's a Reach custom map again. How couldn't any of those possibilities be enticing for a player to try with, even if it fucking sucks? How do you make that uninteresting? With whatever ebbing faith I have in 343 I can only hope that these possibilities were at least tested and they found their design didn't work in those contexts and they didn't have resources to go back to the drawing board so they scrapped it. God help us if they dropped it into Slayer and told people to figure it out. Waste of imagination.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, L377UC3 said:

Intentionally rethinking which surfaces a player can walk on, for example, and creating a map where, in certain positions, gravity pulls in a different direction besides down, could facilitate some bonkers-ass encounter where you're shooting above you at someone playing the map upside down.

A weapon could use the D Pad before firing to select a direction then create a gravity volume pulling in that direction when fired.

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A weapon could use the D Pad before firing to select a direction then create a gravity volume pulling in that direction when fired.

Or you could just shoot at a surface and that surface becomes gravitational and avoid using the dpad entirely.  Since, again, it should never be used for anything that needs fast reaction potentially mid gunfight. Sounds wonky af honestly. not for regular matchmaking.  Best relegated to custom community gametypes.  Playing with gravity could be a fun custom weirdness thing, and thats fine.  But please lets not waste time trying to make it work for standard matchmaking anything.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I could use the D pad to cycle through replies telling you to stop trying to use the fucking D pad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Or you could just shoot at a surface and that surface becomes gravitational and avoid using the dpad entirely.

You could do both.  Have that be the default behavior and allow D Pad and Scope to override it (D Pad selects up, down, left or right and scope toggles between forward and backward for the gravity volume).

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

portal 3

This here is why your idea will never work.

There could be a map where the floor of level 2/ceiling of level 1 has a big horizontal fan in the middle that kills players who fall in.  On the top floor, you push players into it with horizontal gravity volumes.  On the bottom floor, you reverse gravity and send them flying up into the fan.

What if you could throw your weapons at people? You blow through a clip while someone's shooting you and instead of reloading, you take a chance and fucking whip it at them for a lethal blow. 

You can also toss your weapon to teammates from across the map.

uneducated 343 apologist: "unga bunga bungo elitists just want haylo 3 again"

me, an intelecktual bungo purest: "bad unga bunga me want haylo 3 without br spread"

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2

15 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

What if you could throw your weapons at people? You blow through a clip while someone's shooting you and instead of reloading, you take a chance and fucking whip it at them for a lethal blow. 

You can also toss your weapon to teammates from across the map.

This reminds me of some of the weapons in Borderlands.  Instead of reloading, you throw them and they explode then another one appears.

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

This reminds me of some of the weapons in Borderlands.  Instead of reloading, you throw them and they explode then another one appears.

Tediore.

What do you think about a pick up that gives the user the ability to remotely detonate any thrown grenade, like the grenade launcher but for any grenade type?

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about a pick up that gives the user the ability to remotely detonate any thrown grenade, like the grenade launcher but for any grenade type?

What are your goals with this pick up? How do you perceive it changing the holistic model of the game?

Because right now I can't say that I find the idea worth the effort to include. I can imagine bad and slightly less bad ways of implementing it. Maybe if you built a whole game around the idea it could be interesting - have a character just amalgamate pickups that change their gameplay properties in ways that would break a Halo game. That's sort of the place I'm at. Halo doesn't have a copyright on the stuff I like about it, and while I really love its conventions when they're well designed, I think it's been at least a decade since they've been used as anything besides constraints - and I think this forum can and frequently does develop an argument for extending that duration.

At what point do we say fuck it and make a better shooter with all the crazy shit we want because we've given up on Infinite?

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:30 AM, Basu said:

Haha same I recently upgraded to a new graphics card and fuck me the original Xbone looks even more terrible now. This mid-cycle console nonsense with the PS4 pro and Xbone X completely ruined what consoles were all about. With splitscreen dying more and more and having to install every game even on consoles (instead of the good ol' pop in the disk and play) nowadays PC is just 100% the better platform unless you're 100% a couch gamer kinda guy.

Consoles weren’t ever about being on the same hardware. Hells the only reaSon consoles are more popular is because they’re ChEAP. Sure in the long run you get your 1000$+ pcs worth, but a console is just easier managed, controller is easier to handle than mouse and key, and EXCLUSIVES! If you could play Spider-Man ps4 on pc you’d never even think of getting a ps4. 

My PC was about as expensive as a Xbox and is way more powerful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Fucking prove it! Because I call bullshit. If it’s stronger then it’s stronger by like 2-5% at bedt(are we talking its original 400-500$ I’ll also ask) . What’s your GPU and processor that’s all I want to know and need to know. 

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Even if true, when you want to upgrade your PC you have to do it completely on your own. You need knowledge of the hardware you need to buy and upgrade. 

When I want to upgrade from og to X or X to Scarlet I take my console into Best Buy or Gamestop or Microsoft or whoever for credit toward the next console and only pay a partial amount, for one piece of equipment that I need no knowledge of and don't ever have to tinker with or modify. 

Console gaming isn't for everyone, but neither is PC, let's not pretend that console don't have a place in the market just because this gen had a mid cycle half upgrade. 

• Like (+1) 1

Console hardware is sold at a loss, so PC > console value comparisons are completely useless. 

• Like (+1) 1