Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 7/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, Boyo said:

You wouldn’t need to stick these projectiles to a surface before you could detonate them.  You could detonate them mid air.  The D Pad allows the user to select if the explosion should go left, right, up, or down.

But why.

 

On 7/29/2019 at 4:31 PM, Boyo said:

How about a weapon where the user controls the projectile drop?  Fire it over a wall then activate drop to send it straight down on an enemy below.

This is a good idea though. The Railgun is boring as hell to me. Imagine if holding the trigger for variable amounts of times casued the projectile to have a variable drop. If you tap RT the projectile just falls at your feet, but if you charge it for the maximum length it flies like normal. In between these extremes is a spectrum of timings and distances the projectile would fly.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

If I had a dollar for every time I died because grenade switching was on the dpad instead of the A button in H5 and MCC (bumper jumper / helljumper) I would be a rich man. Dpad belongs to nothing that needs to be done while shooting. Gears shows you can get away with weapon switching on it but you're also talking about a cover based game and actions that would cause down time anyways.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, L377UC3 said:

This is a good idea though. The Railgun is boring as hell to me. Imagine if holding the trigger for variable amounts of times casued the projectile to have a variable drop. If you tap RT the projectile just falls at your feet, but if you charge it for the maximum length it flies like normal. In between these extremes is a spectrum of timings and distances the projectile would fly.

:thinking::thinking:

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Basu said:

:thinking::thinking:

Basically a Concussion Rifle with a built-in fire rate vs range mechanic.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

If I had a dollar for every time I died because grenade switching was on the dpad instead of the A button in H5 and MCC (bumper jumper / helljumper) I would be a rich man. Dpad belongs to nothing that needs to be done while shooting. Gears shows you can get away with weapon switching on it but you're also talking about a cover based game and actions that would cause down time anyways.

Yeah I can’t stand grenade switching on the Dpad. Luckily, every Halo game on MCC has classic Bumper Jumper with the exception of Halo 2, which only has Universal Bump and Jump, for some reason..

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, My Namez BEAST said:

A Halo game without melee? Unf. 

There is a game where you literally only use one fucking utensil the entire time

Portal is for you

Or maybe you're that UT3 60min Insta Gib all decade long reticle twitch binge fiend kindof type

  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Vyrst said:

There is a game where you literally only use one fucking utensil the entire time

Portal is for you

Or maybe you're that UT3 60min Insta Gib all decade long reticle twitch binge fiend kindof type

Almost sport. Keep trying. 

Share this post


Link to post

Have you guys checked out Splitgate? Melee and grenades are pretty much useless in that game and it plays close to Halo with a strong starting pistol.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Boyo said:

Get a NO PARKING medal for killing an enemy with a traffic cone.

Honestly the amount of fun creative gameplay possibilities are unreal. Especially with modern game physics. There’s already examples of gravity manipulation in the story/lore. It’ll fit nicely with the sword, hammer dynamic. And it’s a good example of a how to take things from other games without changing halos core formula.

I wouldn’t even be opposed to have such a weapon be used in competitive play. I can think of some creative and skilled use of it in top tier play. Let’s be real we all want to see snipedown snipe people with cones from across the map.... 

Share this post


Link to post

@Stoppabl3

I like how the movable objects on the map become the gravity gun’s ammo.  Each time the player fires, the map is changed in some way.  And since the weapon can pick up a variety of objects, the effects of launching these objects can vary.  One object explodes on impact, another doesn’t.  A cube shaped object slides to a stop, a spherical object keeps rolling.  I like how the player interacts with the map to cause damage rather than just dealing it directly though his weapon like most other guns.

Share this post


Link to post

Gravity gun is something that could be used in all sorts of ways and if its something that ends up leading to a lot of cheese in competitive play, just take it off the map.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Gravity gun is something that could be used in all sorts of ways and if its something that ends up leading to a lot of cheese in competitive play, just take it off the map.

That’s the beauty of tying mechanics to weapons and not base player traits. If it sucks just remove the weapon/item, I forgot radar jammer was a thing until I was watching og h3 multiplayer footage. Imagine if it was tied.......oh shit that’s right camo in reach. :angry:

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Basu said:

Have you guys checked out Splitgate? Melee and grenades are pretty much useless in that game and it plays close to Halo with a strong starting pistol.

Yeah, posted my thoughts in the OT thread.  It's also kind of DoA now, its down to 300 peak and 150 average.

Fun fact though, aside from a 4-bodyshot kill instead of 5-shot the Pistol has the same killtimes as the Ce Magnum.

Share this post


Link to post

They wanted to have a promethean gravity gun but apparently their playtesters didn’t know how to use it so they turned all the promethean weapons into offshoots of existing weapons. Source: Josh Holmes in Halo 4 postmortem GDC presentation.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Can  focus groups made of normies just die already? This is why every shooter the past ten years has been a CoD wannabe or casual clusterfuck. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gobias said:

They wanted to have a promethean gravity gun but apparently their playtesters didn’t know how to use it so they turned all the promethean weapons into offshoots of existing weapons. Source: Josh Holmes in Halo 4 postmortem GDC presentation.

I think it's funny that they just accepted that fucking nobody was going to stick around long enough to master Halo 4.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, L377UC3 said:

I think it's funny that they just accepted that fucking nobody was going to stick around long enough to master Halo 4.

Mostly I think they felt bad/frustrated because people weren’t experimenting with the new weapons and opting for the human/covenant weapons that made more sense. Basically, why allocate design time for something that people just walk over? This is probably also the line of thinking behind making every weapon easy/powerful in Halo 5. Then you get the opposite reasoning with stuff like Spartan Ops, a pretty big development time sink for something that a lot of players probably didn’t touch.

I think the failure of more abstract weapons like a gravity gun in playtests is a result of level design. You can’t have traditional Halo encounters and expect players to pick up a weapon that doesn’t output damage as efficiently as a normal gun. That being said, most people who buy a Halo game probably aren’t expecting to have to use their brains in puzzle-like levels. Maybe adding gravity volumes you can turn on to mix up gameplay would work.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought splitgate was one of the worst games I've ever played. Unsurprisingly it had the general support of the community as everyone clamored over "arena warfare" (it's as far from an arena game as you can get) and then expectedly drop it as fast as they could.  The whole idea behind it is already a stretch, and their weapon balancing / maps / art certainly didn't help. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Reading all the comments on the Splitgate community page its like, "The only reason im playing this is because its the closest thing i can get to a new halo game on PC and its not even that close". 

 

The portal gimmick looks to me like a great way to just flank/get flanked without earning it. I could see that as being 1 gun in a game, but everybody having it looks like a mess.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Note: my Splitgate post was mostly directed at Beast/Ice because it seems to be closer to what they want out of Halo than any Halo game will ever be.

 

4 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Yeah, posted my thoughts in the OT thread.  It's also kind of DoA now, its down to 300 peak and 150 average.

Fun fact though, aside from a 4-bodyshot kill instead of 5-shot the Pistol has the same killtimes as the Ce Magnum.

 

Yeah it was pretty DoA. I gave it a shot and could barely find games, yet alone at an acceptable ping. Oof.

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

I thought splitgate was one of the worst games I've ever played. Unsurprisingly it had the general support of the community as everyone clamored over "arena warfare" (it's as far from an arena game as you can get) and then expectedly drop it as fast as they could.  The whole idea behind it is already a stretch, and their weapon balancing / maps / art certainly didn't help. 

Something just feels off about it. The sprint and jetpack nonsense feels very tacked on. The map design is super safe and yeah the art doesn't do them any favors. Shooting and killing people just doesn't feel rewarding. Oh and yes they should lose the silly "Arena Warfare" title, it's not even close to an arena shooter.

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Reading all the comments on the Splitgate community page its like, "The only reason im playing this is because its the closest thing i can get to a new halo game on PC and its not even that close". 

 

The portal gimmick looks to me like a great way to just flank/get flanked without earning it. I could see that as being 1 gun in a game, but everybody having it looks like a mess.

Yeah it's pretty much just a huge clusterfuck. People either camp a portal overlooking a choke point or use it as a cheap getaway tool (because sprint isn't enough). It's also so dumb that you can't see through enemy portals, but I guess that came down to engine limitations (could setup an infinite loop looking through multiple portals or something).

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Vyrst said:

There is a game where you literally only use one fucking utensil the entire time

Portal is for you

Or maybe you're that UT3 60min Insta Gib all decade long reticle twitch binge fiend kindof type

I love how you can feel the anger in a post by the really obvious misspellings that half a minute of rational proofreading would fix.

Love utensil weapons. Fork you.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

I’ll admit splitgate is pretty bad. The maps are pretty garbage, portals either super campy or meant for running away. Not really any map control skill, flanking is the most easiest shit ever, the jetpack I didn’t hate tbh and was done in a way that I could accept if halo did it since it’s tied to our jump, and it doesn’t let you get to extreme heights(like hr and h4s) , the fast strafe accel was nice, very few weapons, bad art style(probably my biggest complaint tbh, game looks ugly AF) sprint really wasn’t needed in the game tbh, no forge(or map maker/editor) needed a lot of improvements. If the portals weren’t a thing I feel it could of been better. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I love how you can feel the anger in a post by the really obvious misspellings that half a minute of rational proofreading would fix.

Love utensil weapons. Fork you.

The ideal utensil for halo is a spork shut your mouth

  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.