CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Bullet drop would be absolutely unecessary and dumb 

32 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Projectile weapons already require players to account for distance when leading.  On most weapons, I don’t see a huge benefit to requiring them to account for projectile drop as well.  Certain weapons, like the Railgun which is single shot, charge up, and one bodyshot kill, can benefit from projectile drop though.  

Sniping in Battlefield does feel great though so I know that bullet drop can work in some games.

This is what i mean.  I agree, i think in Halo bullet drop is unnecessary to have on anything other than the obvious stuff that really already has it, but it's certainly not "dumb".  Used properly it does add something both skillful and fun.  I would love for it to be an option in the game that could be tweaked per weapon, even if by default its not being used. I guess im just arguing that having it available in the toolbox would be great, and i could see it being fun if done properly. Not that Halo "Needs" it by any means.

Edit - And my post length how nothing to do with how strongly i feel about something lol.  I just like to talk about and thought experiment this stuff.

We haven't even had projectile weapons that make sense and feel good to use and now you guys are talking about adding bullet drop?

How about no.

The Dropshot is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  Pressing the Reload button while a projectile is airborne causes it to change direction.  Prior to firing, the D pad selects the secondary direction the projectile will travel in. 

• WutFace (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The Dropshot is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  Pressing the Reload button while a projectile is airborne causes it to change direction.  Prior to firing, the D pad selects the secondary direction the projectile will travel in. 

No. Opinion privileges revoked. See administrator for details. Would you like to send an error report?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

14 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

We haven't even had projectile weapons that make sense and feel good to use and now you guys are talking about adding bullet drop?

How about no.

I mean the entire conversation has been qualified with essentially "Halo has to get all this other shit right before they even think about this" 

But sure, lets not spitball thought-out ideas for a game that isn't out yet in the forum for said game.

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Pics-Art-07-30-12-46-34.jpg

The d pad should be used to turn on a flashlight and change grenades. That's pretty much it.  Making it an integral part of any weapon design is just silly.

Similar to selecting a grenade type before engaging in combat, selecting the direction a projectile will explode in prior to combat can be a valid use of the D Pad.  Just like you generally wouldn’t be switching grenade types mid firefight, you wouldn’t be changing the explosive direction mid firefight either.  Furthermore, when the directional explosive is just a secondary feature of the weapon, meaning you can still simply shoot an enemy directly to kill him, it makes the use of the D Pad even less vital to the weapon’s operation.

22 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Similar to selecting a grenade type before engaging in combat, selecting the direction a projectile will explode in prior to combat can be a valid use of the D Pad.  Just like you generally wouldn’t be switching grenade types mid firefight, you wouldn’t be changing the explosive direction mid firefight either.  Furthermore, when the directional explosive is just a secondary feature of the weapon, meaning you can still simply shoot an enemy directly to kill him, it makes the use of the D Pad even less vital to the weapon’s operation.

Or just make this an intrinsic function of a weapon/grenade. An explosive with a narrow radius of a effect that acts in a column perpendicular to a surface, like a spike grenade. For every needlessly complicated idea, there is a simpler one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Gobias said:

Or just make this an intrinsic function of a weapon/grenade. An explosive with a narrow radius of a effect that acts in a column perpendicular to a surface, like a spike grenade. For every needlessly complicated idea, there is a simpler one.

You wouldn’t need to stick these projectiles to a surface before you could detonate them.  You could detonate them mid air.  The D Pad allows the user to select if the explosion should go left, right, up, or down.

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You wouldn’t need to stick these projectiles to a surface before you could detonate them.  You could detonate them mid air.  The D Pad allows the user to select if the explosion should go left, right, up, or down.

Ever heard the phrase “restrictions breed creativity”?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gobias said:

Ever heard the phrase “restrictions breed creativity”?

No but I understand the concept.  I didn’t think giving players more freedom by assigning unused buttons to secondary features would be so divisive.  So you’re not against he use of the d pad, you’re against giving the user that much control over his weapon?

46 minutes ago, Boyo said:

No but I understand the concept.  I didn’t think giving players more freedom by assigning unused buttons to secondary features would be so divisive.  So you’re not against he use of the d pad, you’re against giving the user that much control over his weapon?

It’s just not an elegant idea. Complexity instead of depth. One of my favorite ideas from Hardy LeBel (Halo CE designer) is design by subtraction. More of a focus on systems, e.g. how camo and grenades interact with weapons. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2

It comes across to me as something that casual shooter players on reddit or at workplaces would joke about, regarding how complicated Halo has become.

I think the Dpad should be Ping, left/right grenade switch, and a distress Self-Ping like we already have with H5.

Also, this sort of weapon would invite obvious criticism from anyone that has played Gears 4, and used that Dropshot.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Gobias said:

It’s just not an elegant idea. Complexity instead of depth. One of my favorite ideas from Hardy LeBel (Halo CE designer) is design by subtraction. More of a focus on systems, e.g. how camo and grenades interact with weapons. 

With regard to things like the physics of nading weapons and power ups, wouldn’t a weapon where the user can control the direction of the blast be an asset to that system?  A weapon that offers mid air detonation can be used to move objects in ways that traditional grenades can’t.

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

It comes across to me as something that casual shooter players on reddit or at workplaces would joke about, regarding how complicated Halo has become.

I think the Dpad should be Ping, left/right grenade switch, and a distress Self-Ping like we already have with H5.

If you have switch grenades on the d pad, what’s on your face buttons?

Here’s how I would do it.

RT - Fire

RB - Reload (Alternate Fire)

LT - Throw grenade (Fire left weapon)

LB - Jump (Armor Ability)

A - Melee (Reload left weapon)

B - Deploy Equipment (Hold to swap armor ability)

X - Switch grenades (Hold to swap weapon, Hold to Activate)

Y - Switch weapons (Hold to swap equipment)

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Scope (Dual Wield, Vision Enhancer, Movement Ability)

D-pad - Auxiliary weapon controls 

Everything about that weapon idea just seems bizarre and ineffective.  I select a direction before firing, fire a straight projectile, then press reload to cause it to veer off in that direction?  How am I gonna hit anything with that?  Not only would it require perfect timing and alignment of the switch but also rely on your opponent actually moving in the direction you selected before the fight.

And let's be clear about the D-pad.

DPAD should be used for:
-Toggling or switching things outside of combat that do not require a rapid button press.  Separate firing modes, switching attachments like scopes, bringing up scoreboards and other UI, flashlight, target pinging, switching between grenades, etc.  Auxiliary things.

DPAD should never be used for:
-Any kind of movement, control or aiming in a 3D game.
-Toggling things in-action where speediness and timing is crucial.  Ex. detonating charges, chaining two firing modes together, meleeing, etc.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

I select a direction before firing, fire a straight projectile, then press reload to cause it to veer off in that direction? 

The projectile explodes in one of four directions, giving a larger area of effect than the projectile simply changing directions but also limiting its range.  A remotely detonated, mid air, directional explosive.

The Concussion Rifle wasn’t a bad weapon, right?  At its core, that’s what this weapon is, a battery operated concussion rifle.  You could run around the map 3 shotting players in front of you just like you would with a concussion rifle...if you don’t touch the scope or reload buttons.  These buttons allow the player to perform more advanced attacks but are completely optional.

The Grenade Launcher already does this.  Tap fire to explode after contact, hold-fire then release to air burst.  Just expand that utility a bit and be done with it.  Hold-fire, bounce around a corner then release to explode.  Hold fire and arc it perfectly to get it over a wall then air burst it to hit the people behind. Simple to understand.  Effective when executed well.  Difficult enough to make those bank shots that it doesn't turn into an OP, spammy mess.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

If you have switch grenades on the d pad, what’s on your face buttons?

Here’s how I would do it.

RT - Fire

RB - Reload (Alternate Fire)

LT - Throw grenade (Fire left weapon)

LB - Jump (Armor Ability)

A - Melee (Reload left weapon)

B - Deploy Equipment (Hold to swap armor ability)

X - Switch grenades (Hold to swap weapon, Hold to Activate)

Y - Switch weapons (Hold to swap equipment)

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Scope (Dual Wield, Vision Enhancer, Movement Ability)

D-pad - Auxiliary weapon controls 

This is too much man. You can't have so many multi-function buttons like that. I would rather have unused buttons. I never want to have to move my thumbs mid-battle and i shouldn't be required to have paddles to accomplish this nor put sticky notes on my screen to remember what everything does.

• LT - Fire (Yeah i trigger swap)
  • RT - Grenade
  • LB - Jump
  • RB - Melee
  • LS - Crouch
  • RS - Zoom
  • A - 
  • B -
  • X - Reload/Action (Activate button, pickup weapon etc)
  • Y - Switch Weapons
  • D-pad - Swap grenades/ping stuff

A and B are empty with a bare-bones halo game.  Add something like equipment and it could go there. Or if they allow proper control customization you will be able to map these however you want with a little room to spare.

On 7/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, Basu said:

Maaaybe on really long-range sniping (talking BTB crossmapping) drop could be cool, but other than obvious stuff like the grenade launcher I don't see the benefit of projectile drop in a game like Halo. I like the idea of the spiker having drop though if it ever returns. Could be cool.

That’s all I’m really suggesting. Where the drop is needed at really long ranges. 

7 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Everything about that weapon idea just seems bizarre and ineffective.  I select a direction before firing, fire a straight projectile, then press reload to cause it to veer off in that direction?  How am I gonna hit anything with that?  Not only would it require perfect timing and alignment of the switch but also rely on your opponent actually moving in the direction you selected before the fight.

And let's be clear about the D-pad.

DPAD should be used for:
-Toggling or switching things outside of combat that do not require a rapid button press.  Separate firing modes, switching attachments like scopes, bringing up scoreboards and other UI, flashlight, target pinging, switching between grenades, etc.  Auxiliary things.

DPAD should never be used for:
-Any kind of movement, control or aiming in a 3D game.
-Toggling things in-action where speediness and timing is crucial.  Ex. detonating charges, chaining two firing modes together, meleeing, etc.

tony hawk is 3d and you use dpad for movement

Is this an acceptable use of the D Pad on a weapon?

The Tractor Beam is a battery operated, hitscan weapon with a 3x scope.  RT fires a continuous beam that pulls targeted players, vehicles, and moveable objects to the user (airborne targets are pulled quickly, grounded targets are pulled slowly).  

RB picks up and carries a proximate, targeted, moveable object, like a crate or a fusion coil.  RB while carrying an object drops it.  RT while carrying an object launches it forward.  

Different objects have different effects when launched.  A crate can splatter players.  A fusion coil can explode on impact.  A pike can deal headshot damage (killing a player with a pike can pin his ragdoll to a wall behind him).

The D-pad reorients the object being held.  Up tilts the object forward 90 degrees.  Down tilts the object backward 30 degrees.  Left and Right rotate and revolve the object around the user 45 degrees at a time.  The object is locked to one of the eight cardinal or inter cardinal directions; it is not locked to the user’s orientation (if the object is on the user’s left and he turns right 90 degrees, it will now be behind him).

Always thought the half life 2 grav gun would be interesting in halo. I wanna launch traffic cones at noobs. 

3 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Always thought the half life 2 grav gun would be interesting in halo. I wanna launch traffic cones at noobs. 

Get a NO PARKING medal for killing an enemy with a traffic cone.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Is this an acceptable use of the D Pad on a weapon?

The Tractor Beam is a battery operated, hitscan weapon with a 3x scope.  RT fires a continuous beam that pulls targeted players, vehicles, and moveable objects to the user (airborne targets are pulled quickly, grounded targets are pulled slowly).  

RB picks up and carries a proximate, targeted, moveable object, like a crate or a fusion coil.  RB while carrying an object drops it.  RT while carrying an object launches it forward.  

Different objects have different effects when launched.  A crate can splatter players.  A fusion coil can explode on impact.  A pike can deal headshot damage (killing a player with a pike can pin his ragdoll to a wall behind him).

The D-pad reorients the object being held.  Up tilts the object forward 90 degrees.  Down tilts the object backward 30 degrees.  Left and Right rotate and revolve the object around the user 45 degrees at a time.  The object is locked to one of the eight cardinal or inter cardinal directions; it is not locked to the user’s orientation (if the object is on the user’s left and he turns right 90 degrees, it will now be behind him).

2 hours ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Yeah so a grav gun with an extended range. I would not have the dpad do anything. I don't see why you would need to reorient something anyway.  I would simply have the object be pulled in at whatever angle it gets grabbed and leave it at that.  I would also just have it tap to pick up, tap to fire.  If they want to drop it they can switch weapons.  Could be fun in customs or crazy gametypes.  I dont really see it being a competitively minded weapon.