CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Jesus Christ you didn't play vanilla Reach did you? Nothing like a good Armor Lock. Or a jetpack. Or unlimited Sprint. Or grey Forge. HOLOGRAMS NOBODY USED. No ranking system. Fucking bloom. I mean yeah, when you make Halo Reach not Halo Reach anymore ala MLG v7, it's a good game. I guess.

+1 for UI. +1 for Grenade launcher.

Bungie fucked over Halo. Starting in Halo 3. Fuck the equipment. Fuck the BR spread and netcode. Fuck Snowbound. Fuck blank shots. Did anyone ever use the Pistol?

By all means, be pissed at 343. Giving Bungie a pass is ridiculous though. I still don't know how they went from Halo 3 to Reach. Some say it was chasing trends, I say they were hammered at work.

Iirc much of the Halo team had moved on to Destiny and were replaced by ex-Shadowrun devs... hence the class-based approach.

With the recent shifts in management Microsoft is investing a ton into Xbox.

Might even try poaching people at e3 

33020883_245852296166502_428184582731333

The design is more classic than the original design. Slightly more clarified, I think.

• Upvote (+1) 3

33020883_245852296166502_428184582731333

The design is more classic than the original design. Slightly more clarified, I think.

How can something be more “classic” than the original thing?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

How can something be more “classic” than the original thing?

By exaggeration.

Let’s go back to infinite discussion and not make this thread another h5 discussion where the talk of halo is next to none.

On a side note many here may hate halo 3 but one can’t deny it was a good halo game.

Let’s go back to infinite discussion and not make this thread another h5 discussion where the talk of halo is next to none.

On a side note many here may hate halo 3 but one can’t deny it was a good halo game.

Moving forward, please take all Halo 3 discussion to the MCC discussion thread.

Thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 9

It’s also not like the people who are working on the engine would otherwise be creating content.

IMO a flawed argument as they need to hire all these engineers which takes away resources from other branches of development. I get what you're saying though.

Bottom line we're gonna have to agree to disagree here. To me 343 (again the company not the average 343 employee) has proven too many times that they are incompetent and can't get shit done in a timely fashion so I refuse to consider this announcement as something to get hyped over. I wish I could be more optimistic, but in terms of Halo in the last 6 years, having a healthy "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude has paid off.

• Upvote (+1) 2

IMO a flawed argument as they need to hire all these engineers which takes away resources from other branches of development. I get what you're saying though.

Again, try to look at the bigger picture here.

MS is making some rather big investments in their gaming sector (buying new studios) do you really think it was 343s idea to burn money on an new engine when they could easily half-ass their way through development like they did with 4/5? Or does it sound a little more realistic that maybe MS handed out more money just so 343 can develop an new engine and they would have never seeen anything of that money if not for the development of that new engine.

Maybe I'm wrong all along, we're both stating speculations after all, but as much as I distrust 343 and as long of a way they still have to go until I get excited about a new Halo again, I don't think we should give them shit where non is due (yet).

There is enough of stuff where having a having "a healthy "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude" is the right way to go, I'm right there with you but in my eyes, seeing MS investing in a new engine is the best news since 343 took over...only time will tell if the engine sucks or not

Bungie lost there way with Halo when it come to Halo Reach but when you strip that game down it still plays amazing and we all know that. Every bungie Halo game had a healthy community.   

What 343 done was took the game and just fucking killed it and put it six feet under.  I like to blame 343 even if some of you neck beard hipsters like to say otherwise.

Bungie lost their way long before Reach. Also, quit with the "neck beard hipsters" nonsense. You sound stupid.

• Upvote (+1) 6

https://pyroteq.com/halo-infinite-e3-2018-future-of-halo

Feel free to follow the link for better formatting.

This is my full thoughts on Halo at E3 this year. Might do this in video form too so it's easier to spread around if I get the time.

After 3 years of Halo 5 we get a teaser trailer for the next Halo game titled Halo Infinite (which will technically be Halo 6).

To say “disappointing” is a bit of an understatement – That’s not to say I have an issue with 343 Industries taking the extra time to make Halo Infinite the best game it can be; my issue is that all we know about the next game is that it will be powered by the ‘Slipspace’ engine when every previous Halo game has been released on a 3 year cycle and we have nothing else to look forward to…

The teaser focused mostly on the engine itself showing off lighting, foliage, fauna, particle effects and shadows – and then giving us a few clues that this was in fact a Halo game.

Looks great… I guess, but I really don’t care about every grain of sand having it’s own dynamic shadows, I care about the game itself and mostly the multiplayer.

My concern is: What the hell do Halo players have to look forward to in the near future?

A new engine? Ok, great, but what about the future of Halo eSports?
What about the update for Halo: The Master Chief Collection?
How about some new content for Halo 5? (And by new content I mean maps, not a Hawaiian pizza skin for my Assault Rifle.)
What about Halo 5 on PC with the campaign and match making?
What about Halo MCC for PC?

I honestly sat through the entire Microsoft conference expecting 343 Industries to take the stage at some point and give us something for Halo players on the horizon. I was shocked when it ended and all we got was an engine teaser.

Right now the future of Halo is Halo Infinite, which is likely a late 2019 or 2020 release and… A patch for MCC that MIGHT finally fix the game, but even if it does, how does 343i plan on bringing back a sustainable population to the game?

A fixed MCC would be awesome, but at this point it’s too little too late and a patch – even if it makes the game perfect isn’t going to undo the damage that MCC has done to consumer faith in the franchise. A fixed game is useless without players to actually play with, especially in low population areas like Australia where running into another Aussie player in match making is a miraculous event.

Right now Halo has no momentum. Halo 5 is about to turn 3 years old and hasn’t had a new official map since the Anvil’s Legacy content update in September 2016. Almost 2 years have gone by without new maps – which would be forgivable if Halo 6 was coming out at the end of this year, but it’s not. The game STILL doesn’t have a single developer made map for Big Team Battle.

Is this seriously how Microsoft is going to treat their flagship franchise?

Halo is pretty much the only reason to own an Xbox right now and I’m not even sure if I believe that anymore.

Imagine 343 Industries taking the stage this year and announcing that PC gamers could finally play through the entire Halo series in MCC for Windows 10. Imagine if they had announced a new HCS for PC gamers. They’ve already put Halo 5: Forge on PC, they’re already 90% of the way there!

A new engine isn’t going to repair the Halo community when the Halo 5 servers turn into ghost towns. We need new content NOW. Microsoft and 343 Industries need to keep gamers interested in Halo.

The best way to bring back excitement would be to release both Halo 5 and MCC on PC and get big names on Twitch streaming it. A bunch of new maps would breathe new life into the HCS. A collection of official remakes of BTB classics like Blood Gulch and Terminal would bring casual players back to the game.

Instead, we’re expected to play the same maps in Halo 5 for the next year or two?! The thrusters have burnt out and Halo is eventually going to come crashing to the ground.

• Upvote (+1) 8

And actively designed out everything that actually made Halo "work." Bungie intentionally and deliberately added slower kill times, easier shooting, slower strafe, random spread, etc. Sprint is minor compared to the impact of those core elements. People dramatically underestimate the destructive influence of Bungie's anti-skill design philosophy. 

Just because 343 shit the bed doesn't mean Bungie should get a free pass. I hold a larger grudge against Bungie than 343. 

I think it could be safely argued that the games Bungie got mostly right had a lot of luck involved. If you wrote out the rules of standard 2v2 CE multiplayer including weapon balance and things like that, they shouldn't work. But the weapons are just hard enough to use that it leads to a meta where rockets and camo coming up really often works. Same thing with H2 and H3. The out of box settings for multiplayer were absolutely terrible and they were lucky enough to have a backup plan ad MLG to help them figure out what worked. I'm not saying 343 is a good developer, but I feel that there were very few good design characteristics of their games that were by chance. 

I really think Halo Infinite is coming out in 2020 and I'm very okay with that. 343i needs to take all the time they need to make an incredible game. I have some predictions after watching the announcement trailer and reading a bit on the new 343 industries website. Some of these predictions are also just my assumptions and speculation.

Halo Infinite is going to be a soft reboot similar to Star Wars The Force Awakens. The story will continue the saga of The Master Chief but it will tell a very similar story to Halo CE. The Infinity will be fleeing Cortana by slipspace and eventually ends up at Installation 07 aka Zeta Halo. Cortana corners the Infinity and the ship crash lands on Zeta Halo. Just like Halo CE, the story will be about Chief fighting an overwhelming force while exploring the alien world and the mystery surrounding it. The gameplay of the story mode will be open world and the whole ring will be the map. I think 343 wants to capture that feeling of the second mission in CE "Halo" with Infinite's campaign. I also think 343i saw what Nintendo did with Zelda Breath of the Wild and they want to do the same thing for Halo.

While this would be cool, it's virtually impossible to do. A full Halo ring would have more surface area than every open world game ever released combined multiplied by a factor of 100. They are literally further around that all of Earth. At least from a lore perspective.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I really think Halo Infinite is coming out in 2020 and I'm very okay with that. 343i needs to take all the time they need to make an incredible game. I have some predictions after watching the announcement trailer and reading a bit on the new 343 industries website. Some of these predictions are also just my assumptions and speculation.

Halo Infinite is going to be a soft reboot similar to Star Wars The Force Awakens. The story will continue the saga of The Master Chief but it will tell a very similar story to Halo CE. The Infinity will be fleeing Cortana by slipspace and eventually ends up at Installation 07 aka Zeta Halo. Cortana corners the Infinity and the ship crash lands on Zeta Halo. Just like Halo CE, the story will be about Chief fighting an overwhelming force while exploring the alien world and the mystery surrounding it. The gameplay of the story mode will be open world and the whole ring will be the map. I think 343 wants to capture that feeling of the second mission in CE "Halo" with Infinite's campaign. I also think 343i saw what Nintendo did with Zelda Breath of the Wild and they want to do the same thing for Halo.

agree, I think the open world aspect will be campaign rather than MP, plus 343 staff often talk about the first moment of the second CE mission