CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 7/16/2019 at 6:20 AM, Basu said:

More truth bombs by our man @Favyn

Halo 5 sniper montages will forever be tainted because 343 place too much of a crutch on the H5 sniper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

Halo 5 sniper montages will forever be tainted because 343 place too much of a crutch on the H5 sniper.

Montages turned into complete shitshows starting with H4. Extended multikill timers, easy as fuck weapons, ugly medals, gross art style, downgraded theater, maps that all look the same etc. There's a reason people are still putting out mostly H2 and 3 tages even nowadays. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

They must run these same kinds of tests during development right.... I mean, who could look at that sniper being a full crosshair distance away, not even red, and think its OK that gets a headshot?  Wouldn't that be your starting point as far as magnetism is concerned?

Honestly, if they want to make guns not shoot straight they would be better off adding just straight bullet drop.  Flat projectile out to a certain distance, minimal if any magnetism, slight bullet drop after that. The distance at which bullet drop starts would be whatever the intended "optimal range" would be.  The better the player, the further out they would still be able to use that weapon effectively. 

Personally, i don't think this is necessary and a projectile weapon that shoots straight would be good but if they insist on "making the bullet do something" once it leaves the gun, this is a better solution than any kind of randomness they could cook up.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, Apoll0 said:

They must run these same kinds of tests during development right.... I mean, who could look at that sniper being a full crosshair distance away, not even red, and think its OK that gets a headshot?  Wouldn't that be your starting point as far as magnetism is concerned?

Honestly, if they want to make guns not shoot straight they would be better off adding just straight bullet drop.  Flat projectile out to a certain distance, minimal if any magnetism, slight bullet drop after that. The distance at which bullet drop starts would be whatever the intended "optimal range" would be.  The better the player, the further out they would still be able to use that weapon effectively. 

Personally, i don't think this is necessary and a projectile weapon that shoots straight would be good but if they insist on "making the bullet do something" once it leaves the gun, this is a better solution than any kind of randomness they could cook up.

I think it's a little bit trying to make the game easier so 5 year olds can kill people and trying to hide bad netcode.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:47 PM, Basu said:

Montages turned into complete shitshows starting with H4. Extended multikill timers, easy as fuck weapons, ugly medals, gross art style, downgraded theater, maps that all look the same etc. There's a reason people are still putting out mostly H2 and 3 tages even nowadays. 

The fact that the sniper in Halo 5 registers a headshot when within 16km of the head makes it absolutely disgusting to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

The fact that the sniper in Halo 5 registers a headshot when within 16km of the head makes it absolutely disgusting to watch.

Honestly I probably could have tolerated watching comp Halo 5 if it wasn't for how cheap the kills felt. 

5 hours ago, Mow said:

Honestly I probably could have tolerated watching comp Halo 5 if it wasn't for how cheap the kills felt. 

I always enjoyed watching it. The game is impressive at a high level. I’ll never deny that. It’s just so infuriating to actually play.

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

I always enjoyed watching it. The game is impressive at a high level. I’ll never deny that. It’s just so infuriating to actually play.

It's kind of fun to watch, but the cheesy weapon sandbox and the lack of gametype and map variety keep me from really getting hooked.

30 minutes ago, Basu said:

It's kind of fun to watch, but the cheesy weapon sandbox and the lack of gametype and map variety keep me from really getting hooked.

I really enjoyed watching Splyce break the game to the point where they needed to change the rules. Those kids were freakishly talented.

• Like (+1) 2

If the H5 pistol had been in Halo 3 it would a contender for 'best starting weapon in the franchise'. Thoughts?

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Mow said:

If the H5 pistol had been in Halo 3 it would a contender for 'best starting weapon in the franchise'. Thoughts?

Nah. It would still need to be projectile and not give out headshots quite as easily.  Oh yeah and be skinned like a DMR otherwise all the herp de derp "the pistol is just a sidearm wtf" kids wouldn't get on board.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Nah. It would still need to be projectile and not give out headshots quite as easily.  Oh yeah and be skinned like a DMR otherwise all the herp de derp "the pistol is just a sidearm wtf" kids wouldn't get on board.

Disagree, I would still choose it every time over the H2 & H3 BR, there's copious amounts of aim assist and magnetism on the H2 BR and well.. I don't really need to explain why the H3 BR is bad, but not to mention the H5 pistol would beat it pretty easily in most cases because of its faster perfect and average kill time and higher accuracy. As for the CE Magnum? It never really got a chance to prove itself in 4v4 because of CE's wonky spawn system when dealing with any player count above 2v2, hopefully modders can fix that sort of thing when it comes to PC so we can get a glimpse at how it might play out, and also remove any trace of 'random spread' on the utility weapons of the titles coming to PC. I'm looking at you H3 BR... Maybe then we can have a proper discussion on what the best utility weapon would actually be, projectile vs hitscan, single-shot vs burst fire etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What does best mean?  Requires the most skill to be effective, most fun, best for spectator experience?

2 hours ago, Mow said:

I think it has its pro's and con's. I'd probably rank it on the same level as ZBNS DMR. 

It would make contending the sniper a lot better, even if the sniper considered one of the hardest in the series it can't reliably be contended at medium-long ranges. 
It would also make the sandbox even worse than it already is because now you have nothing to contend the magnum. 

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

What does best mean?  Requires the most skill to be effective, most fun, best for spectator experience?

Best for competitive play. Sorry for being so vague, just spit-balling trying to get discussion going.

9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I think it has its pro's and con's. I'd probably rank it on the same level as ZBNS DMR. 

It would make contending the sniper a lot better, even if the sniper considered one of the hardest in the series it can't reliably be contended at medium-long ranges. 
It would also make the sandbox even worse than it already is because now you have nothing to contend the magnum. 

That seems more a fault of the weak H3 sandbox than it does the H5 pistol.

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Uhhhhhh, we have the same gametype count as Halo 3 in Halo 5, lol. 

- Slayer, Strongholds, Oddball, CTF. 

- Slayer, KotH, Oddball, CTF.

And maps are closely tied.
- Narrows, Construct, Amplified, Onslaught, Narrows, Guardian, Heretic, Pit.

- Empire, Eden, Plaza, Rig, Fissure, Echelon, Sanctuary, Coli, Truth.

Of course, still find these arguments suck when the quality should matter of quantity, for competitive gametypes. But Halo 5 outnumbers 3 with maps. Let alone the fact Halo 3 had maps limited to specific gametypes, whereas Halo 5 had multiple maps playing multiple gametypes. And, of course, back in the old days, half of these maps were added in months, if not years after launch. Like Heretic.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Of course, still find these arguments suck when the quality should matter of quantity, for competitive gametypes. But Halo 5 outnumbers 3 with maps. Let alone the fact Halo 3 had maps limited to specific gametypes, whereas Halo 5 had multiple maps playing multiple gametypes. And, of course, back in the old days, half of these maps were added in months, if not years after launch. Like Heretic.

I forgot that Sanctuary and Echelon were even added. I've still never heard of Fissure. 

31 minutes ago, Mow said:

That seems more a fault of the weak H3 sandbox than it does the H5 pistol.

I mean yeah, I guess I wouldn't really fault H2 BR or R/DMR for having a bad sandbox. But that is something that would define a best starting weapon for me. Something that is great even while having a great sandbox. 

12 hours ago, Mow said:

Disagree, I would still choose it every time over the H2 & H3 BR, there's copious amounts of aim assist and magnetism on the H2 BR and well.. I don't really need to explain why the H3 BR is bad, but not to mention the H5 pistol would beat it pretty easily in most cases because of its faster perfect and average kill time and higher accuracy. As for the CE Magnum? It never really got a chance to prove itself in 4v4 because of CE's wonky spawn system when dealing with any player count above 2v2, hopefully modders can fix that sort of thing when it comes to PC so we can get a glimpse at how it might play out, and also remove any trace of 'random spread' on the utility weapons of the titles coming to PC. I'm looking at you H3 BR... Maybe then we can have a proper discussion on what the best utility weapon would actually be, projectile vs hitscan, single-shot vs burst fire etc.

I would place it 3rd.

1. CE Magnum
  2. H2 BR
  3. H5 Pistol

I know the H2 BR is a controversial pick for number 2, but the button glitches help it out.  And yeah i know the button glitches worked with any weapon, but they were most effective with the BR.  That BR had magnetism too, but other than the CE pistol it really wasn't worse than other Halo games. And if you were off the head above or to the side, it would often not give you the headshot.  The H5 pistol however.... if any part of the reticle is grazing the head you're getting a headshot.

9 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Oddball and the forge maps weren't added until the last season, so i'm not surprised if people lost interest before then.  To be fair, i wouldn't give Halo 3 that much of an edge in terms of maps.  Halo 3 as a whole is terribly overrated.

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Oddball and those forge maps were added a few months before H5 was dropped and you criticise H3 for updating its settings that late into the game? lol. H5 had the exact same rotation for at least two years and while the settings went from utter shit to okay in that timeframe, it was always the same old gametypes getting played. Gotta admit though the final lineup is pretty good, I just wish they got off their asses sooner especially after the first few DLC maps turned out to be completely useless they should've started adding forge maps asap.

People shit talk the H2 BR for its aim assist but Halo 2 also had the best movement in the series.

Also, it was just fun to use.  Maybe it’s all the other facets of Halo 2 that help it out but when I think about which weapon I had the most fun using, it is by far the H2 BR.

ZBDMR was fun to a degree but movement was for shit so that really put a damper on its use.

I feel like every weapon can have a place though.

Magnum starts for Pro gametypes.

Battle Rifle Starts for Classic gametypes.

Assault Rifle starts for Social gametypes.

DMR starts for SWAT gametypes.

Shotgun starts for Infection gametypes.

Sniper Rifle starts for Team Snipers gametypes.

Magnum is ZB, [email protected], 12 shot clip

BR is ZB, 12 bullet [email protected] but has button combos 

DMR has bloom, [email protected], and deals increased damage to vehicles 

AR fires in tightish to medium range 5 round bursts when scoped in with a 1.5x scope, [email protected], 50 round mag 

How about a [email protected] 12 shot clip 2x zoom with non-******** amounts of bullet magnetism across all gametypes? (besides Infection and Snipers obv) Although I'm sure 343 would love to have a different weapon start in every gametype so they can sell more skins and REQs. Also:

DMR has bloom

please stop.

What’s the point in having two semi automatic human weapons that behave exactly the same?  One is the utility and one is a niche BTB anti vehicle pick up and anti sniper weapon.

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What’s the point in having two semi automatic human weapons that behave exactly the same?

Obviously skin it as a rifle and remove the magnum/DMR/BR nonsense completely. It will never happen though and I can't wait for Infinite to have another 3 new "utility" rifles mudding up the sandbox. They will probably bring back the Needle Rifle and give us a "Storm" variant of the Carbine that shoots blue burst fire lasers or some other dumb shit.

The Needle Rifle should come back.  An automatic precision weapon with a 3x scope that can cause a massive explosion?  Sounds unique and fun.  Make it able to supercombine vehicles as well as infantry and it would be a great BTB pick up.

Multiple precision weapons aren’t bad if they are all unique.