CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I think it was @Hard Way who said the bubble shield could work if you could shoot out the hexagonal sections of the shield.  Make the hexagons a little larger.  Only a couple shots to knock one out.  Grenades will blow up a whole 3rd of teh bubble shield at a time.  If you land a sticky on it and knock out the front 1/3rd, it basically turns into a grenade trap. If you knock out enough of it, it collapses.  2 grenades or a rocket knocks it right out.

Side note, i want Halo 2 stickies back.  Maybe require a little more accuracy to actually stick someone, but launching them around corners and across the map by blowing up another one next to them mid-flight was fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I know that everyone is thinking of the H3 Regen when it is brought up, but I still think that the H4 Regen was perfect (armor ability aside). You could use it to anchor a position (specifically behind cover) by allowing players to near-instantly kickstart shield regeneration. However, it had a split second delay to do so after being shot, which meant that it didn't out-heal damage and therefore you could directly challenge players using it normally. This version would have absolutely nothing wrong with it as a single use pickup, IMO.

And yes, a Fusion Cutter for vehicles please if they just have to have this crappy Reach health system.

Side note: H3 activating equipment before the animation was even finished was stupid. The Bubble Shield was only a panic button partially because it instantly started blocking damage before it was actually deployed. THAT is most certainly dumb, making it similar to Armor Lock in that sense.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

For Defensive equipment, I would include Hardlight Shield, Bubble Shield, and Regenerator.

Hardlight Shield - unbreakable, unidirectional protection 

Bubble Shield - breakable, omnidirectional protection 

Regenerator - no protection, reduced shield recharge delay 

Other categories for Equipment include Offensive, Movement Enhancing, Information Giving, Deception, and Map Modifying.

7 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Teamshot is very important in CE like wtf are you smoking lol.  The fact that the magnum kills quickly doesn't make teamshot irrelevant, which im sure is about as deeply as you have thought about it. It makes it so a single player can clutch plays sure.  But you have to remember that everybody else has that weapon too. Plus the quick kill time is balanced by the long shield recharge. Unless the opponents are well below your skill level you need your teammates to teamshot to kill them quick enough that they can't turn on you and widdle you down through respawns.  Sure, a dominant player can wreck an entire team in CE that is far below their skill level but that is true in literally every competitive shooter ever created.

The fact that you think all crowd control gimmicks are dodgeable is also a laugh.  Some are fucking hitscan weapon, some are area of effect weapons, some are ultimate abilities.  Unless you have teleportation powers and 100% accurate awareness and prediction you're going to get hit with CC bullshit.

I gotta admit the fast kill magnum does make me think that way, anas CC in OW isn’t hitscan though, I’m not a CE player, but from watching it’s comp tournaments(beach lan) team shot is hardly needed. 

The only reason clamber was implemented in Halo is so 343 can get lazy on map design. Properly measuring geometry is now a thing of the past! As long as it fits within this wide range of measurement, it passes.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Racist Flabby Tangerine said:

The only reason clamber was implemented in Halo is so 343 can get lazy on map design. Properly measuring geometry is now a thing of the past! As long as it fits within this wide range of measurement, it passes.

"We did a few focus groups and found most 40 year old single parents were unable to make basic jumps, so we added clamber to cater for them."

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

"We did a few focus groups and found most 40 year old single parents were unable to make basic jumps, so we added clamber to cater for them."

I find it funny how no one ever realizes that making the mechanics easier and more forgiving is 343 showing their opinion of their fan base.  They think you suck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1

The reason for these changes is because when a 343 employee loses, they react and blame frivolous things like not making a jump or missing a shot with the sniper so in the next meeting, they discuss changing those mechanics. Whenever we see an employee in the lobby, we need to allow them to win the game for the good of Halo.

• Thonking (+0) 1

4 hours ago, Machiavellian Narcissistic Beelzebub said:

The reason for these changes is because when a 343 employee loses, they react and blame frivolous things like not making a jump or missing a shot with the sniper so in the next meeting, they discuss changing those mechanics. Whenever we see an employee in the lobby, we need to allow them to win the game for the good of Halo.

Yeah you're right. It's not chasing trends or implementing immersion or creating "Accessibility" at the cost of individuality, it's 343 employees getting salty in Halo 3 matchmaking.

• Like (+1) 2

On an oddly related note, does anyone remember the results of the Bungie vs The World playlist?

4 minutes ago, Crimson said:

On an oddly related note, does anyone remember the results of the Bungie vs The World playlist?

On Reach?  I remember Obey got caught host booting during it.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, Arlong said:

I gotta admit the fast kill magnum does make me think that way, anas CC in OW isn’t hitscan though, I’m not a CE player, but from watching it’s comp tournaments(beach lan) team shot is hardly needed. 

There is no way to ever make team shot not matter. You're doing 2x the damage, it will ALWAYS be good. Raising individual empowerment doesn't magically lower reliance on teamwork, it's not a ratio. You can lose one something and gain nothing in return. 

The only way teamshot wouldn't matter is if the kill times were literally one bullet. Or if damage didn't stack when shot from two sources. Idk, maybe if it were like an electric gun as the utility weapon you could justify that design choice or something I don't know.  But that's not the case in Halo.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Crimson said:

I remember watching Bungie employees spam armor lock more than I could ever imagine and then suddenly everything made sense.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

On Reach?  I remember Obey got caught host booting during it.

Halo 3, it was post Mythic Pack 1 I believe. 

Get your free daily dose of rage-inducing stupidity right here:

YxJ0WWD.png

• Toxic (+1) 1

It’s the sad truth.  They opened Pandora’s Box and there’s no closing it again.  Bungie really was masterful in fucking over 343 with the transition.  

Just now, Boyo said:

It’s the sad truth.  They opened Pandora’s Box and there’s no closing it again.  Bungie really was masterful in fucking over 343 with the transition.  

I'm seriously starting to believe Bungie fucked Reach's mechanics on purpose to lead 343 down the path (nosedive) this franchise has taken since so that Destiny has an easier time establishing itself on the oversaturated FPS market. The game just had too many baffling design decisions that make zero sense for it to be a coincidence or pure ineptitude. It's not even like there's a core philosophy behind it like "make the game more accessible to codtards", no Reach was made to be atricious and frustrating for all levels of skill and we're still suffering from this nonsense almost ten years later while Bungie managed to become independed from Activision but keep the rights to Destiny. What a 4D chess move by Bungie.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s too bad 343 wasn’t smart enough to at least take things like the menus and gametype selection with them going forward.  They kept all the garbage and didn’t even take the good stuff.

• Like (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Basu said:

I'm seriously starting to believe Bungie fucked Reach's mechanics on purpose to lead 343 down the path (nosedive) this franchise has taken since so that Destiny has an easier time establishing itself on the oversaturated FPS market. The game just had too many baffling design decisions that make zero sense for it to be a coincidence or pure ineptitude. It's not even like there's a core philosophy behind it like "make the game more accessible to codtards", no Reach was made to be atricious and frustrating for all levels of skill and we're still suffering from this nonsense almost ten years later while Bungie managed to become independed from Activision but keep the rights to Destiny. What a 4D chess move by Bungie.

Bungie didn't create permanent sprint/thruster, clamber, smart scope, spartan charge. They certainly didn't create custom starting weapons. 343 didn't even do most of these things until their 2nd main game. Maybe Bungie left at the perfect time as Halo was on the down hill, and Bungie might have done a lot of this stuff to Halo anyway had they stayed, but 343 led their own path.

I don't think there was any malice on Bungie's part to the future of Halo.  They were just tired of making Halo games. Reach was their swan song so they turned it into an experiment. They were looking toward their next project before they finished.  Vanilla Reach plays more like an unfinished experiment than outright sabotage.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

Bungie didn't create permanent sprint/thruster, clamber, smart scope, spartan charge. They certainly didn't create custom starting weapons. 343 didn't even do most of these things until their 2nd main game. Maybe Bungie left at the perfect time as Halo was on the down hill, and Bungie might have done a lot of this stuff to Halo anyway had they stayed, but 343 led their own path.

Yeah but 343 just continued down the path Bungie set. Copying other games wasn't a thing in Halo from 01-07 but with Reach it became the standard. Going from global loadouts to custom loadouts and perks is a smaller step than going from no classes to global loadouts.

Of course 343 is also at fault, just for the fact they were too inept to realize Halo 4 is a sequel to Halo 3 and not the weird prequel spinoff that tanked and split the population in half.

• Like (+1) 2

Halo 4s custom loadouts were certainly more derivative of contemporary games than reach's loadouts were. Reach came out during the cod hayday yet it's system is notably more barebones and simplistic. 

I think of it like this: bungie moved halo from 2001 to 2006 with reach. 343 moved halo from 2006 to 2012 with halo 4.

lol you guys are really sinister if you think bungie made reach shitty on purpose so 343 would follow their place and gain an advantage in the fps market.

i believe halo infinite will have a playlist with no sprint and abilities and even classic zoom instead of iron sights. however this will be the "try hard" playlist and not fun for people who want to play classic halo without being mlg sweaty  

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boogerman said:

lol you guys are really sinister if you think bungie made reach shitty on purpose so 343 would follow their place and gain an advantage in the fps market.

But then again can you explain mechanics like Armor Lock, Drop Shield, Bloom, no melee bleedthrough, weapons like the DMR taking upwards of 2.5 seconds to kill someone with perfect accuracy, and the lack of good maps? This stuff can't just be pure incompetence especially given that the game also had an insanely good UI, forge, netcode, armor customization etc. I just fail to see how they dropped the ball this hard on core game mechanics but everything else was stellar.

i believe halo infinite will have a playlist with no sprint and abilities and even classic zoom instead of iron sights. however this will be the "try hard" playlist and not fun for people who want to play classic halo without being mlg sweaty  

Classic playlists have been garbage for as long as I can remember. The maps are always either disk maps designed for 10 different abilities or terrible forge remakes, the settings are usually ass and you're right, the word "classic" alone ensures that the average player will never even bother checking out the playlist.