CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Sprint in Infinite will guarantee it's early death just like 4 and 5.

20 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Sprint in Infinite will guarantee it's early death just like 4 and 5.

It doesn’t matter if sprint is in the game.  It matters if sprint is a base trait.  As much as Reach did wrong, sprint as an optional armor ability was the best implementation in any Halo game to date.

Armor Abilities recharge over time.  They are activated by pressing the Jump button (LB) while airborne.  Carrying an objective disables them.

Gravity Boots provide a single, quick, upward boost.

Jetpack provides a constant upward boost.

Gravity Gauntlet activates Ground Pound.

Glider reduces descent speed and increases forward movement speed.

Hoverpack halts movement.

Hoverboard increases forward movement speed on the ground.

Grapple fires a projectile that pulls the user to the point of impact.

Teleport Belt instantly teleports the user upward a short distance.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

None of those thankyou

Are there any advanced movement mechanics that you like outside of those?

I wouldn't be opposed to trying a wall run or double jump in Halo. 

The problem I see with spartan abilities is that you have to build levels specifically around the mechanic. However, double jump and wall run don't require you to lower your gun or restrict any type of movement in order to use them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Does any mechanic truly require you to lower your weapon while using it?

28 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Are there any advanced movement mechanics that you like outside of those?

I am not opposed to mechanics that alter movement as long as they are pickups only.

As base traits, no thank you. Sprint as a pickup in the middle of the map for CTF that pops every 2 to 3 minutes? That shit is valuable and teams will fight over it.  1 player being able to sprint for 30-40 seconds every 3 minutes is not something that you would totally redesign a map or weapon around. But as a base trait... no fucking thank you.  Same goes for pretty much any advanced movement mechanic.  Make whatever map pickup you want, if it sucks just don't use it. no harm no foul.

Some  of your ideas specifically seem silly or redundant like Hoverboard.  Speed boost basically already does this. If you want to go even faster, there are vehicles, mancannons and teleporters that already exist. Teleport and grapple are essentially the same thing. Gravity Gauntlet would be better as simply a gravity-recognizing momentum melee. Subtle execution of game physics that already exist. I would never user glider because that sounds like a fantastic way to get duked on mid-air.

• Like (+1) 1

Speedboost is omni directional while Hoverboard is uni directional.  Because it can only go forward, it makes it a travel tool instead of a combat enhancer (Speedboost should also improve strafe).

Teleport is uni directional while Grapple is omni directional.  One can pass through a ceiling while the other requires a point of impact to move at all.  Grapple is basically a thruster that goes in any direction.

Gravity Gauntlet allows for targeting prior to launch and increased speed after launch.  A fast fall melee does neither.  Plus, you could make certain objects only breakable through Ground Pound.  Smash through a skylight into a building.

I agree that Glider is a great way to be shot out of the air but coupled with the right map design, this silent, aerial, infantry transport could be extremely useful (navigating a serpentine, downhill ravine for example or even something like from big tower to sniper tower on lockout).

Reading about gliders just makes me want to play Shadowrun again.

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Does any mechanic truly require you to lower your weapon while using it?

This is off-topic, but I started thinking about clamber. 

Would clamber really be that bad if it levels weren't designed around it and it didn't require a button press/hold to activate? 

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Reading about gliders just makes me want to play Shadowrun again.

My friend Steve at work,  worked on that game. He knew all the cool glitches and weapon spots because of it😂

1 hour ago, Gobias said:

Here’s the thing. You can design maps where most jumps don’t require clamber, but inevitably people will find routes that depend on clamber. And the people using the most advanced routes will disproportionately be competitive players.

Clamber tries to fix something that isn’t a problem in Halo: a pitiful jump height. It’s a mechanic suited for military shooters and other “grounded” games where jumping higher would feel unrealistic. It has nothing to do with addressing players’ frustration with not making jumps. Preaching to the choir here, of course.

Yeah honestly clamber isn’t needed at all, just give a jump height that isn’t ass, hell h3 has the best jump in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Nokt said:

Would clamber really be that bad if it levels weren't designed around it and it didn't require a button press/hold to activate? 

It would then just be insurance for failed jumps, which I then have to ask why *shouldn't* the player be able to fail jumps?  I could see why players might not want to deal with platforming in a shooter but just the same one could argue it's another aspect of the skillgap, albeit a minor one.

Either way it's not the end of the world, just so long as I'm not required to clamber everything.

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

It would then just be insurance for failed jumps, which I then have to ask why *shouldn't* the player be able to fail jumps?  I could see why players might not want to deal with platforming in a shooter but just the same one could argue it's another aspect of the skillgap, albeit a minor one.

Either way it's not the end of the world, just so long as I'm not required to clamber everything.

Destiny has unclamberable walls, I kind of figured that any skill jump would have that attached to it, like shortcut on Lockout.

At the same time I do have a good time juking people with triple jump as a hunter by jumping off the edge just to clamber back up and shoot them in the back. 

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

Destiny has unclamberable walls, I kind of figured that any skill jump would have that attached to it, like shortcut on Lockout.

Can players identify which walls are clamorable by looking at them?  Even if they can, why is the mechanic inconsistent, working some places and not others?  Making clamorable walls identifiable adds unnecessary visual clutter to the map.

7 hours ago, Nokt said:

At the same time I do have a good time juking people with triple jump as a hunter by jumping off the edge just to clamber back up and shoot them in the back. 

That doesn’t sound desirable, IMO.  Map geometry should be the main factor in if a player can perform a jump, not because his base traits allow him to basically fly back up after jumping off a cliff.  Crouch jump allows players to make higher jumps but doesn’t allow them to fall off edges and climb back up.  If you really wanted to do that, isn’t a jump pack or a jet pack a simpler, more balanced solution anyway?

The Trinary Rifle is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  While unscoped, this long barreled weapon fires forward.  Scoping switches the user’s view into the tip of the barrel, facing either left or right.  The Reload button toggles the user’s scoped view between facing left or right.  Firing while scoped fires either left or right, depending on which direction the user is viewing.

This long barreled weapon can fire around corners while only minimally exposing the user (since shooting a player’s weapon still damages the player).  A glowing orb at the end of the barrel allows other players to identify when a corner shooter is poking out.  Shooting this small orb deals increased damage to the user.

14 hours ago, Nokt said:

If the map designer got to choose which ledges were able to be clambered, they were marked visually, they were exposed and risky and in meaningful positions, and the animation took like 3x as long, then sure. It’d be okay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The Trinary Rifle is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  While unscoped, this long barreled weapon fires forward.  Scoping switches the user’s view into the tip of the barrel, facing either left or right.  The Reload button toggles the user’s scoped view between facing left or right.  Firing while scoped fires either left or right, depending on which direction the user is viewing.

This long barreled weapon can fire around corners while only minimally exposing the user (since shooting a player’s weapon still damages the player).  A glowing orb at the end of the barrel allows other players to identify when a corner shooter is poking out.  Shooting this small orb deals increased damage to the user.

I'm getting motion sickness just thinking about this one.

• Simms (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Basu said:

I'm getting motion sickness just thinking about this one.

Aiming and moving would function as they normally do, just now your head is the orb at the end of the barrel.

The only real difference is that when a player is scoped in to the right, when he moved left, his player model would actually be moving forward.  This would be imperceptible to the player though (well, unless his player model was running into something he couldn’t see from his view at the end of the barrel).  Maybe it would be better to keep his movement relative to his player model instead of the direction of the orb, which can change.

The toggle between aiming right and left is really just a shortcut so the user can quickly start his aim in the general direction he wants.  He could start his aim to the right and rotate is all the way back to the left without using the shortcut if he wanted to.

Alright, I tried to describe it more clearly.  How’s this:

The Astral Rifle is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  The Scope button moves the user’s view from his head into a glowing orb at the end of the weapon’s long barrel.  The orb can be rotated 360 degrees without changing the orientation of the user’s player model.  While scoped in, the weapon fires in the direction of the orb’s view.  The Reload button toggles the orb’s view between facing perpendicularly right or perpendicularly left, relative to the user’s player model.  The orb has reduced damage resistance.

Orb is basically a miniature ball turret.

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Alright, I tried to describe it more clearly.  How’s this:

The Astral Rifle is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  The Scope button moves the user’s view from his head into a glowing orb at the end of the weapon’s long barrel.  The orb can be rotated 360 degrees without changing the orientation of the user’s player model.  While scoped in, the weapon fires in the direction of the orb’s view.  The Reload button toggles the orb view between facing perpendicularly right or perpendicularly left, relative to the user’s player model.  The orb has reduced damage resistance.

Orb is basically a miniature ball turret.

I'm going with no.  If people want to peek around corners, they can just.. peek around corners. This seems more like a Metal Gear campaign gun than Halo multiplayer gun.  Dying to this thing would feel cheap, and shooting with it would be cumbersome since you can't strafe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

You can strafe though.  Scoping in does not affect player movement aside from the fact that if the orb was facing right, you would “strafe” by moving the stick forward and back thereby moving the player model forward and back.

@Apoll0

15 hours ago, Nokt said:

The question that needs to be asked is this - what does clamber actually do for the game? 

The answer is literally nothing.