CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 hours ago, JordanB said:

What's the difference between some placing in X (say Platinum or Diamond) or placing at level 33?

The difference is how we got someone into that ranking and it’s far easier to know the proper placement in division ranking with Bronze to champion. A level like 33 isn’t a good enough answer to the equation. The division ranking takes into account what your MMR is as well. Diamond 1-5 is a far more accurate description of that players skill level than 1-50. Also division ranks reset during a certain period of time, usually every 3-4 months for most games. I’d like to see you try to sort out 1-50 than bronze to champion better with the placement match settings. It’s easy to determine who should be matching who with divisions than 1-50. In divisions you usually let those in the same division or below or one higher matching one another, but how do we know someone at level 37 is capable of taking on level 45s? In order for someone in plat to face a diamond that diamond would usually be diamond 1, and not diamond 5, where they’re well on their way to onyx. Also! 1-50 has never had a level cap of who you can play with, a guy with the skill level of a noob would get carried up to levels like 30 and beyond, the placement such as divisions keep people in their place, where they belong. There’s a good reason why no company has done division ranking with levels 1-50, what you think these game Devs didn’t play h2-3 and not remember the 1-50 ranking system? They know that 1-50 is past it’s time, and division ranking bronze-champ or challenger(some games like league use a different max) far outclasses it. You asking for placement with 1-50 shows a little nostalgia blindness don’t you think? 

• WutFace (+0) 2

9 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Why should it matter if you haven't played in a while? Rank is just as much a trophy as it is an identifier of your skill. Nothing more annoying than logging on and seeing your hard earned rank read as "unranked" because it's a new season.

I also think half the battle of rank systems is seeing your rank go up as you climb, placement matches takes that away because you're usually placed right at your threshold with an intelligent system. Not a fan at all of the current rank system used in basically every game out right now.  

Well that’s you, why should you stay at that rank? Let’s say you got to 50 BUT didn’t play again until like 4 months later. You no longer are at the skill level of a level 50 anymore, so now you’re holding the team you’re on back. Most of these games with that ranking don’t receive complaints since most people understand why the systems like that. It’s also better for Esports since the companies can determine easier who they’d want to sponsor but that’s another topic. 

6 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The difference is how we got someone into that ranking and it’s far easier to know the proper placement in division ranking with Bronze to champion. A level like 33 isn’t a good enough answer to the equation. The division ranking takes into account what your MMR is as well. Diamond 1-5 is a far more accurate description of that players skill level than 1-50. Also division ranks reset during a certain period of time, usually every 3-4 months for most games. I’d like to see you try to sort out 1-50 than bronze to champion better with the placement match settings. It’s easy to determine who should be matching who with divisions than 1-50. In divisions you usually let those in the same division or below or one higher matching one another, but how do we know someone at level 37 is capable of taking on level 45s? In order for someone in plat to face a diamond that diamond would usually be diamond 1, and not diamond 5, where they’re well on their way to onyx. Also! 1-50 has never had a level cap of who you can play with, a guy with the skill level of a noob would get carried up to levels like 30 and beyond, the placement such as divisions keep people in their place, where they belong. There’s a good reason why no company has done division ranking with levels 1-50, what you think these game Devs didn’t play h2-3 and not remember the 1-50 ranking system? They know that 1-50 is past it’s time, and division ranking bronze-champ or challenger(some games like league use a different max) far outclasses it. You asking for placement with 1-50 shows a little nostalgia blindness don’t you think? 

That's fine and all, I wasn't arguing 1-50 vs bronze-onyx, I was just asking the question. Because your original quote

"Based on placement matches is someone level 33 or something? "

My point was that if we had 1-50, then placing into level 33 is no different than placing into a Plat or Diamond. The difference is everything afterwards, but I wasn't asking about afterwards.

52 minutes ago, JordanB said:

I'm conflicted on this. I completely get your point; I have returned to play Halo 5 once in a blue moon, and when I have 0/10 placement matches I might play 2-3 games and then I never come back because I don't have the time to play 10 games in the game modes that I want and then try to rank up from there.

I also play a lot of Rocket League and I have no issues with their seasons at all. The 10 placement matches don't really have more impact on your rank than any of the matches afterwards (if you're not a new account), it's really just something to make a new season feel refreshing. 

IMO I think constant seasons and placement matches are good for players that are constantly playing the game to make it worth grinding again, but it could turn players away when taking long periods away. 

Those players clearly aren’t that games target audience. You don’t see OW players or League players complaining about the system, it’s necause they play the game not once but many times. 

7 minutes ago, JordanB said:

That's fine and all, I wasn't arguing 1-50 vs bronze-onyx, I was just asking the question. Because your original quote

"Based on placement matches is someone level 33 or something? "

My point was that if we had 1-50, then placing into level 33 is no different than placing into a Plat or Diamond. The difference is everything afterwards, but I wasn't asking about afterwards.

The main difference is just the accuracy regardless of Multis opinion is far greater than 33. Someone who’s level 33 doesn’t tell me if there skill is better than someone who’s level 27. If he’s in plat and the other in gold it sure as hell does.

5 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The main difference is just the accuracy regardless of Multis opinion is far greater than 33. Someone who’s level 33 doesn’t tell me if there skill is better than someone who’s level 27. If he’s in plat and the other in gold it sure as hell does.

I fail to see how a Plat is automatically better than a Gold but a 33 isn't better than a 27. The only way you get from Gold to Plat is by winning. The only way you get from 27 to 33 is by winning. 

• Like (+1) 4

1-50 is simple and anyone can understand it.  I have no idea what the fuck people are talking about when they’re like “I’m a mid bronze 2.5 season 6”.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is there any particular reason we have a level cap in halo? Can’t we just increase the rank cap every 6 months or something? Similar to MMOs. It’ll make sure that those players who play for ranks always have something to go for and it’ll prevent 30’s caliber players matching max ranked 50’s. 

Guess the game will have to have the population to support such a gap, but in a ideal launch I think it’s something to explore.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Is there any particular reason we have a level cap in halo? Can’t we just increase the rank cap every 6 months or something? Similar to MMOs. It’ll make sure that those players who play for ranks always have something to go for and it’ll prevent 30’s caliber players matching max ranked 50’s. 

Guess the game will have to have the population to support such a gap, but in a ideal launch I think it’s something to explore.

Modern matchmaking should have no level cap. If it's a 1-50 system then something needs to be implemented once you reach 50 to incentivize playing and ranking up. If it's a bronze-onyx system then you can have a MMR attached to your Onyx rank and it increases as you rank up, and possibly have a leaderboard that shows the top players with the highest rank.

11 minutes ago, Boyo said:

1-50 is simple and anyone can understand it.  I have no idea what the fuck people are talking about when they’re like “I’m a mid bronze 2.5 season 6”.

If you've played any game that has these types of rankings it's pretty easy to understand.

Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Onyx. Just an example but if someone is a low Gold then they're probably in the low 20s. A Diamond would probably be low-high 40s. Onyx would basically be a 50 where you can continue to still rank up. It all just depends how high each tier goes. I think Halo 5 goes from bronze 1 all the way to bronze 6? IMO that's too high, it should be something like bronze 1-3.

This system might be new to non-Halo 5 players but it's not some brand new system that no other game uses that nobody will understand. 

What benefits does calling some Diamond 2 instead of 45 or Gold 1 instead of 22 have?  Unless there is some tangible benefit, I would vote for the simpler and familiar 1-50.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What benefits does calling some Diamond 2 instead of 45 or Gold 1 instead of 22 have?  Unless there is some tangible benefit, I would vote for the simpler and familiar 1-50.

It mostly factors in at the top IMO. Once someone reaches level 50, that's it. All level 50s are now equal... Except in reality they aren't.

In a tiered system you reach Onyx and then you can continue to rank up. If Halo had a 1-50 that did a similar thing once you reach 50, then the only other difference is that in a tiered system there are generally placement matches. So I play 10 games and it can determine my skill level. I'll probably play a couple games against Bronze and Silver and if the games aren't even close, then it'll place me against higher skilled players until it determines a rank for me (let's say Diamond 1).  But in a 1-50 I have to start off at level 1 and stomp a bunch of noobs for hours until I reach what my actual rank should be.

To fix this as someone else suggested using more modern matchmaking, if a 1-50 had placement matches and also a system that you can continue to rank up past level 50, then I'd be all for that. But the current Halo 2/3/MCC 1-50 is flawed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright, so a 1-50 ranking system, with a Training playlist that you have to play in for 10 games before you can access general matchmaking, and unique symbols for the top 1%, 3%, 5%, 10%, and 25% of level 50s, would satisfy all your criteria, right?

• Like (+1) 2

@Arlong
Bronze 1-6 = Lvl 1-6
Silver 1-6 = Lvl 7-12
Gold 1-6 = Lvl 13-18
Platinum 1-6 = Lvl 19-24
Diamond 1-6 = Lvl 25-30

If anything, 1-50 is more specific when showing someone's skill at a glance.

Placement matches to skip levels would be welcome. Followup seasons should only require 5 placement matches instead of 10. That always felt so excessive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The three layer Overshield quickly charges on pick up and quickly decays 30 seconds later.  No recharge delay and a slow recharge rate allow each layer to recharge unless the layer has been fully depleted (2.1 layers will recharge to 3, 1.1 layers will recharge to 2, effect ends when shields become 1 layer or less).

• Like (+1) 1

Add 31-40 for Master/Onyx, 41-45 GM, 46-50 for whatever higher let's say "Legendary" using symbols.

A system I would like to see is a sort of hybridization of the1-50 grind with a tier system. It would work something like this:

There would only be three ranked playlists: 4v4 Arena (no radar), 2v2, and Lone Wolves. You start at level 1 and grind all the way to 50, if you’re able to. I would say the difficult of achieving a 50 should be somewhere between Halo 2 and 3 - not so hard that it may take ages to achieve but not so easy you can do it in a day and sell the account (like in H3). 

After attaining the 50, you’re able to play in placement matches with other 50’s (I’m not sure 10 is enough, but perhaps 20 is too many. This is not something I have too much conviction on either way). The Bronze-Champion divisions would be replaced with titles more closely tied to Halo’s identity; Mythic, Noble, Eclipse, Nova, Forerunner, Reclaimer, Inheritor (use the Reach symbols).

This system I propose would be a sort of compromise between those who like that grind and those who see more value in the tier system. I personally have a lot of nostalgia for trying to get a 50 in each ranked playlist, but still understand the value a tier system has for differentiating between different skill levels. In this hybrid, only the top skilled players will be segregated into different tiers, truly showcasing the vast skill range between level 50’s, while also satisfying the thirst ‘for the grind’ many Halo players have. 

This can coexist with the EXP progression system Halo 3 has, utilizing military ranks for both overall rank and playlist/gametype rank, with EXP rewarded for every win, 0 for a loss, and -2 for a quit/boot. 

What are your guy’s thoughts?

(also sorry for the huge text, I wrote this in my Notes app on my phone, not sure how to change it)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

An EXP system that decorates your rank with stars or whatever is unobjectionable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

An EXP system that decorates your rank with stars or whatever is unobjectionable.

Yea, there's just nothing wrong with it lol. It doesn't harm anyone, it's just that a skill-based ranking system is still mandatory. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rank and exp both convey information about the player.  Another piece of information that could be conveyed somehow is how active that rank is.  Was he playing on his 50 yesterday or has he not played on it in months?

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Basu said:

This is not true. Skill only affected your overall military rank, not individual playlist ranks. The confusion stems from the playlist and military ranks sharing names and symbols.

Honestly I've never liked seasons or the placement match system in general. Why should your first ten matches have a weight on your ranks that is orders of magnitude stronger than any game you play after? A sample size of 10 is just not enough IMO, it's just too easy to get screwed by a quitter, dumbass teammate, shit connection etc. These systems work under lab conditions but never in the real world. Then they also factor in individual performance which of course never works as intended and leads to hilarious differences in ranking even if you play all 10 placements as a team. I've personally observed this both in H5 and OW. H5's ranks are 100% meaningless anyways because of the lack of party restrictions.

Ok, i probably just got confused about the playlist ranks, but the idea of having an EXP system based off your skill is a way to encourage even people who are stuck at their rank to keep grinding and I like it.

Generally Placements don't have much of an impact on your rank than any other game, they are just games used to level out your mmr since there were no previous games you have played. At the start of a season sometimes there will be a soft mmr reset, where there might have been some inconsistencies, so they use this to recalibrate the ranks. 

8 hours ago, Basu said:

This always struck me as odd. First of all, people who are not great at the game and also won't improve over time usually just don't play ranked anyways. Next, since we're using hidden MMR to form our lobbies anyways, why not extend the ranks further downward (not visually, behind the scenes) and therefore make sure these low-ranked people don't ever match a new level 1 account with the starting "neutral" ELO? They already do this at the top end anyways, according to Menke H3's ranks went far into the 70ies or 80ies even, so let's extend the MMR below the starting ELO as a noob protection.

Halo also has never had this INSANE skill gap where you can fly through the ranks and shit on people for an extended amount of games unless you're 1) literally snipedown and 2) playing as a to4 which again leads to the party restrictions argument.

I'm not sure what extending the mmr below the start would actually do; would the lowest ranks literally stay at rank 1? whats the point? The point of the cut off at 50 when it went further was so that matchmaking times would still be fast, so this isnt really whats happening. Also if there are ranks past the max, I don't want that to be hidden from us. Why not just have the noobs start lower than everyone else from the beginning by using placements and the high ranks actually can see their mmr or a leaderboard so they can differentiate themselves. We also want noobs to be playing ranked, we want everyone to play ranked. Games like league, dota, CS, etc. get their popularity because their main gamemode is the ranked gamemode. Everyone from every skill level plays ranked, and its what keeps interest in the game as every person is gonna come back and still grind just so they can see that icon on their screen go from silver to gold.

8 hours ago, Basu said:

This a double-edged sword though. A good chunk of people think seasons are stupid because of exactly that: you lose your rank and have to play 10 matches just to grind it back every few months. I don't always have time or motivation to play the same game on end for years, so if I come back to Halo/OW/whatever after a few months and all my ranks are gone (on top of being unfamiliar with the game because I haven't played) it just makes me want to quit.

I think CSGO does it something like this: hide the rank after not playing ranked for a month and you have to win one game to get it back, that seems fair by me. But requiring me to play 10 sweaty matches all over just to get the same rank back just feels like work and not fun.

Usually seasons come with new things added to the game, like new maps, armors, and balance patches. Since these are an incentive for people to come back to the game, they will restart placement for everyone coming back to feel a fresh start at the ranking system. The motivation to play the new season comes with the season rewards, because people want to get that new sick looking armor piece to show off the fact that they placed diamond or 40+ or whatever. Also, if you are unable to finish 10 placement games, you aren't the main target of a ranking system anyway. Its only 10 games, and in the previous 1-50 system 10 games wouldn't even get you past rank 10 so I'd argue its even more daunting.

On another point, you mentioned party restrictions a couple times and I have to agree. How would yall feel about a restriction to only being able to duo-queue in ranked? This way it isn't impossible to solo all the way to the top, but you could still play with a friend if you wanted to. games would also be found faster as there aren't a bunch of people queueing as 4s and ranks would be more meaningful.

• Upvote (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, darkstar said:

There would only be three ranked playlists: 4v4 Arena (no radar), 2v2, and Lone Wolves. You start at level 1 and grind all the way to 50, if you’re able to. I would say the difficult of achieving a 50 should be somewhere between Halo 2 and 3 - not so hard that it may take ages to achieve but not so easy you can do it in a day and sell the account (like in H3). 

I like this. I think only having these 3 playlists makes perfect sense.

27 minutes ago, darkstar said:

After attaining the 50, you’re able to play in placement matches with other 50’s (I’m not sure 10 is enough, but perhaps 20 is too many. This is not something I have too much conviction on either way). The Bronze-Champion divisions would be replaced with titles more closely tied to Halo’s identity; Mythic, Noble, Eclipse, Nova, Forerunner, Reclaimer, Inheritor (use the Reach symbols).

Im not sure about this, having tiers open for only the top percents kinda just makes the tiers unnobtainable for the masses. I'm not fully agaisnt the 1-50 system. It works and its nostalgic, though I'd rather have something newer and updated, and this compromise just feels lackluster and useless to the point where I would rather have one or the other. What I do like about what you said is that for people who obtain the 50, there is still something to be had afterwards, whether it be some EXP rank on top, or some leaderboard, or just showing your raw mmr, having something extra to play for is necessary. Also if a tiered system is implemented, I like these names for the tiers, and would much rather have these.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Why not make the coveted 50 a rank that actually signifies the best of the players instead of something you kind of expct to get? I may be misinterpreting how you guys are saying it but it sounds like something that one would get relatively easier than something like, say, Challenger in League of Legends.

52 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Why not make the coveted 50 a rank that actually signifies the best of the players instead of something you kind of expct to get? I may be misinterpreting how you guys are saying it but it sounds like something that one would get relatively easier than something like, say, Challenger in League of Legends.

50 shouldn't be easy like it was in Halo 3, I'm just advocating for having something beyond 50 to separate them from one another

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

Bruh can you please actually read his posts for once? He literally said he wants a modern MM and ranking system, just that the visual indicator shouldn't be generic Bronze-Diamond-Onyx but the 1-50 ranks. Why? Because 1-50 and Halo go hand in hand. Ask any amount of gamers what comes to mind when they hear 1-50 ranking system and the will immediately say "Halo".

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

What on earth is this even supposed to mean? You can't do the math that 33 is larger than 27? If anything it's the opposite, I bet most people who have never played ranked have no idea how the order of plat-diamond-onyx-champion actually goes.

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

50 points for Boyo.

1 hour ago, andregr said:

Ok, i probably just got confused about the playlist ranks, but the idea of having an EXP system based off your skill is a way to encourage even people who are stuck at their rank to keep grinding and I like it.

Agree with that. It's such a simple yet effective way of keeping people grinding and going for wins, y'know instead of taking their hard earned ranks away and making them do the same thing over to get it back lol.

Generally Placements don't have much of an impact on your rank than any other game, they are just games used to level out your mmr since there were no previous games you have played. At the start of a season sometimes there will be a soft mmr reset, where there might have been some inconsistencies, so they use this to recalibrate the ranks.  

I refuse to believe that. During placements you can jump from Golds to Diamonds within a few games because the system is calibrating your rank, after the placements you have way less movement up and down the ladder from match to match.

I'm not sure what extending the mmr below the start would actually do; would the lowest ranks literally stay at rank 1? whats the point? The point of the cut off at 50 when it went further was so that matchmaking times would still be fast, so this isnt really whats happening. Also if there are ranks past the max, I don't want that to be hidden from us. Why not just have the noobs start lower than everyone else from the beginning by using placements and the high ranks actually can see their mmr or a leaderboard so they can differentiate themselves.

Yes, to protect the noobs (legit level 1-10s) from playing against people who are new to ranked but actually good at the game (or smurfing). Just give them their own play space of similarly low-skilled players so they don't get stomped all day. And I'm talking MMR here, the visual rank might not be 1 but definitely low.

I mean yeah you can have placements but new accounts can and will still stomp on noobs for a few games and it will happen again with every season reset. I like @Boyo's idea of a training playlist. Just use the performance of players in the training playlist to have an initial guess for skill and match accordingly, see what happens.

We also want noobs to be playing ranked, we want everyone to play ranked. Games like league, dota, CS, etc. get their popularity because their main gamemode is the ranked gamemode. Everyone from every skill level plays ranked, and its what keeps interest in the game as every person is gonna come back and still grind just so they can see that icon on their screen go from silver to gold. 

We want them to, but they don't. Every casual gamer I've ever met preferred social to ranked and this is true across all games. It's just Team Deathmatch and Quickplay for a large amount of the population, that's why H5 fell so hard on it's face by launching with all ranked playlist.

Usually seasons come with new things added to the game, like new maps, armors, and balance patches. Since these are an incentive for people to come back to the game, they will restart placement for everyone coming back to feel a fresh start at the ranking system. The motivation to play the new season comes with the season rewards, because people want to get that new sick looking armor piece to show off the fact that they placed diamond or 40+ or whatever. Also, if you are unable to finish 10 placement games, you aren't the main target of a ranking system anyway. Its only 10 games, and in the previous 1-50 system 10 games wouldn't even get you past rank 10 so I'd argue its even more daunting.

True, I forgot there are actually competent developers out there that will have actual SEASONS with new maps and balance patches. In the context of modern Halo this makes little sense though as there have been very very few additions to the competitive map pool and one balance patch in almost 4 years.

On another point, you mentioned party restrictions a couple times and I have to agree. How would yall feel about a restriction to only being able to duo-queue in ranked? This way it isn't impossible to solo all the way to the top, but you could still play with a friend if you wanted to. games would also be found faster as there aren't a bunch of people queueing as 4s and ranks would be more meaningful.

Just bring back the H3 restrictions. Solos and duos can queue however they want, to3 match other to3 or a to4 if there's nothing else and to4 ideally only match to4. In social they should use Menke's solution that makes parties match up against stronger randoms (I think he determined the average MMR of the randoms has to be 500 higher than the party's average to cancel out the party advantage).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Basu said:

I refuse to believe that. During placements you can jump from Golds to Diamonds within a few games because the system is calibrating your rank, after the placements you have way less movement up and down the ladder from match to match.

Eh, I play rocket league a lot and even with a good placement cycle the most I've ever jumped is like one subdivision (eg Diamond 1 to diamond 2). I guess it depends on the game and ranking system, and if the devs are capable of making a good ranking system, which unfortunately I don't have full faith in 343 to do any of this right.

Yes, to protect the noobs (legit level 1-10s) from playing against people who are new to ranked but actually good at the game (or smurfing). Just give them their own play space of similarly low-skilled players so they don't get stomped all day. And I'm talking MMR here, the visual rank might not be 1 but definitely low.

I mean yeah you can have placements but new accounts can and will still stomp on noobs for a few games and it will happen again with every season reset. I like @Boyo's idea of a training playlist. Just use the performance of players in the training playlist to have an initial guess for skill and match accordingly, see what happens.

I think what Boyo said was fine, Id be ok with that. Also, why can't we just show your pure mmr and attach a rank onto certain levels?

We want them to, but they don't. Every casual gamer I've ever met preferred social to ranked and this is true across all games. It's just Team Deathmatch and Quickplay for a large amount of the population, that's why H5 fell so hard on it's face by launching with all ranked playlist.

Im not saying they have to exclusively play ranked, but more people coming to try ranked for the rewards or for a more competitive aspect is always a good thing even if its not their main playlist. I still play lots of action sack even though I mostly play ranked. I think being accessible is important.

True, I forgot there are actually competent developers out there that will have actual SEASONS with new maps and balance patches. In the context of modern Halo this makes little sense though as there have been very very few additions to the competitive map pool and one balance patch in almost 4 years.

Just bring back the H3 restrictions. Solos and duos can queue however they want, to3 match other to3 or a to4 if there's nothing else and to4 ideally only match to4. In social they should use Menke's solution that makes parties match up against stronger randoms (I think he determined the average MMR of the randoms has to be 500 higher than the party's average to cancel out the party advantage).

Yeah, patch notes and halo dont really happen, but there can always be new themes, cosmetics, maps, and community events/challenges.

These restrictions sound fine, but what happens if the game isnt popular enough to support constantly matching teams with teams, and queue times are way too high? I think restricting queue sizes might be beneficial for high ranked players and very low ranked players.