CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I don't understand the insistence that 343 is full of incompetent blowhards.  Artists, engineers etc can only do so much with the tools that they are given and the direction they are told to go by their bosses.  There has been some additional by subtraction the past year and a half and significant changes in leadership style to go along with that, so hopefully that lesson has been learned.  With a new proper engine, they will then have the tools to execute properly.  I really don't see how

is even close to relevant?  Those issues were more than likely the impetus for taking on this project in the first place. That's the exact place they are in with Halo 5. Microsoft also owns the assets to Havok, so that team could be in on it and have been hiring a ton of engineers at 343.

I have said this already but i'll say it again, my take is that 343 is going to be to Microsoft what DICE is to EA.  The creator and maintainer of the Slipspace engine that will have a dedicated team, instead of people wearing multiple hats, and that any Microsoft studio can use.  If the first party studios that Microsoft just acquired and the brand new studio they just started aren't publishing games "featuring the slipspace engine" within the next few years, i will be SHOCKED.  You don't embark on a project like this and create totally separate branding just to make a "Halo only" engine.

Is having a engine dedicated to one single game actually that bad?

Also, 343.really needs to show something within the following months, ganeplay, a traile or something. Because this is beyond ridiuclous. And Basu is right, the xbox one is an out dated piece of garbage, and its holding the Xbox one x back, even if halo infinte releases for pc, that game will be held back in terms of content because they dont want to piss off the cheap skates on the xbox one. I havent even bought an xbox one x because M$ refuses to use its full power. The sbox one x is fully capable of playing destiny 2 at 60fos, but because of the advantage it would give they nade it so both versions are 30fos which is bullshit.

Halo 5 is pushing the xbox one to the max and that game physically isnt smooth at all because of this. H5 runs quite smoothly on pc in terms of performance but thats because pcs dont have limits(figurtively of course, but in a sense not the same as consoles do)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hells halo 5 has the best forge in the series, YET because of the xbox one it runs like ass when you make too big of a map. Its not consistently 60fps, theres tons of frame drops.

I don't understand the insistence that 343 is full of incompetent blowhards. 

Well, they have ruined the franchise. Millions quit Halo because of Reach's armor abilities. Instead of going back to Halo's roots with Halo 4, they double down and give us more armor abilities. Millions bought the game because of the "Halo" name. Those millions were gone within 2 weeks. Then they give us MCC, which turned out to be a broken disaster. After that, it's onward with Halo 5, which replaced broken mechanics with new broken mechanics. Millions less bought Halo 5 and millions less played Halo 5. I don't understand how anyone can insist that they're not incompetent, unless of course you think they are nose diving this franchise on purpose.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

So now I’m really wondering why most of Pro Team left 343. The overall consensus so far, if you can call it such, is that the game will be open world, not that we can know without any info. I don’t know what sort of impact the SP would have on them, but I’m both worried and excited for MP. There are 3 options:

1) It has returned to classic form and pro team was no longer needed, so they left, possibly to be able to compete.

2) It’s just more of the same or MORE fucked up so they left because they were being ignored.

3) They left for the sake of leaving (I.e. new opportunities, job boredom, etc)

With neighbors tweets im more worried it’s already going to be more of the same. Although there was a rumor floating around that they scraped the initial H6 for his, so who knows.

I just want a good Halo game man.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't understand the insistence that 343 is full of incompetent blowhards.  

A good deal of it comes from the technical problems/Missing features/poor player retention/etc. that have plagued every game they've released. The rest just from the games not being good.

I don't understand the insistence that 343 is full of incompetent blowhards. Artists, engineers etc can only do so much with the tools that they are given and the direction they are told to go by their bosses. There has been some additional by subtraction the past year and a half and significant changes in leadership style to go along with that, so hopefully that lesson has been learned. With a new proper engine, they will then have the tools to execute properly. I really don't see how

is even close to relevant? Those issues were more than likely the impetus for taking on this project in the first place. That's the exact place they are in with Halo 5. Microsoft also owns the assets to Havok, so that team could be in on it and have been hiring a ton of engineers at 343.

I'm not saying 343 is full of idiots and that every employee there sucks, I'm sure there are a ton of talented people working there (environmental artists, engineers etc). The problem is most likely management, seeing how incapable they are of meeting deadlines and delivering content in a timely fashion. And even then, does it matter? Yes 343 is a big corporation with many different types of people but bottom line is they continue to be a massive letdown.Looking at their track record I just don't see how they are the chosen ones to give us the next Unreal Engine:

- MCC: they were responsible for the UI, MM and networking. All three of these were and continue to be colossal failures and it's going to take them 4+ years to fix it

- H4 was also a bug-ridden pos. Remember kill cams bugging out so they globally disabled them at some point? How it took them multiple attempts to add the red X upon death?

H5: If MCC didn't exist this would be the game with the buggiest UI in the last 5 years. They can't add more skins. It takes them 12 GB patches to balance weapons. Etc etc.

So to sum up, even ignoring their design choices for once, 343s games are sub par at best from a technical standpoint. Of course this might magically turn around with this new engine, but in my experience past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So now I’m really wondering why most of Pro Team left 343. The overall consensus so far, if you can call it such, is that the game will be open world, not that we can know without any info. I don’t know what sort of impact the SP would have on them, but I’m both worried and excited for MP. There are 3 options:

1) It has returned to classic form and pro team was no longer needed, so they left, possibly to be able to compete.

2) It’s just more of the same or MORE fucked up so they left because they were being ignored.

3) They left for the sake of leaving (I.e. new opportunities, job boredom, etc)

With neighbors tweets im more worried it’s already going to be more of the same. Although there was a rumor floating around that they scraped the initial H6 for his, so who knows.

I just want a good Halo game man.

Or 4) People have no faith in 343/MS.

My two cents

Yes, the games suck, and they have for the past 8 years. Yet, a lot of you still play them constantly -  It's weird. What you want is never coming back. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes, the games suck, and they have for the past 8 years. Yet, a lot of you still play them constantly - It's weird. What you want is never coming back.

Halo5 is the best Halo since Halo2, don’t @
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Hey guys!

LVP and myself sat down and talked about our initial reactions to the Halo Infinite news, check it out here!

• Upvote (+1) 9

Halo5 is the best Halo since Halo2, don’t @

People actually think this.

Bloody hell, we are doomed.

• Upvote (+1) 5

343 didn't ruin Halo. Bungie did. Ya'll are just nostalgic for games that suck.

Bungie lost there way with Halo when it come to Halo Reach but when you strip that game down it still plays amazing and we all know that. Every bungie Halo game had a healthy community.   

What 343 done was took the game and just fucking killed it and put it six feet under.  I like to blame 343 even if some of you neck beard hipsters like to say otherwise.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't like the Doc or Spiteful that much but this popped up on my TL and I got a good laugh.

I know we say this after every announcement but 343 has the potential to really grab people's attention with this title. Hell, they've already done so. Whether it the return of classic gameplay and a sense of mystery and exploration in the SP, or something completely new to the industry, I hope whatever they do in the next 1-2 years really nails it.

LOOOOOOOOOL K

Bungie lost there way with Halo when it come to Halo Reach but when you strip that game down it still plays amazing and we all know that. Every bungie Halo game had a healthy community.   

What 343 done was took the game and just fucking killed it and put it six feet under.  I like to blame 343 even if some of you neck beard hipsters like to say otherwise.

Oh lord.

This franchise isn't on life support, it's already dead. It's just a matter of whether or not it can be reborn.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I very much doubt that 343 of all developers will be the one to make an awesome engine that is stronger that others, even if for example UE4 isn't suited to open world games (I have no idea if this is the case I'm not a dev).

Even if this engine is great, I'd much rather see a decent developer creating it and therefore giving 343 more resources to create content and have some decent QA for once. 343 will just be hamstrung by this engine because 2 years into the game they will realize that they fucked up again and can't add more weapon skins and then they need another 50 GB patch to fix the entire underlying engine. 100% something dumb like this is going to happen.

And @IcePrincess (can't multi quote on mobile) yeah I agree games like DOOM and Gears 4 look stunning, but by the time the next Halo drops technology will have advanced again. MS really fucked up with the One X because they are still held back by the retail Xbox and we're pretty much guaranteed to have another fiasco like Destiny 2 being locked to 30 fps on both consoles.

Its not like designers and leads at 343 are the ones making the engine. I’m sure they hire and are continuing to hire engineers who know how to build engines, and are getting help from MS.

It’s also not like the people who are working on the engine would otherwise be creating content.

Licensing works in some cases, in others it’s better to have something in-house.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh lord.

This franchise isn't on life support, it's already dead. It's just a matter of whether or not it can be reborn.

It did.

Yeah, everyone knows that but well done pointing it out.

Jesus Christ you didn't play vanilla Reach did you? Nothing like a good Armor Lock. Or a jetpack. Or unlimited Sprint. Or grey Forge. HOLOGRAMS NOBODY USED. No ranking system. Fucking bloom. I mean yeah, when you make Halo Reach not Halo Reach anymore ala MLG v7, it's a good game. I guess.

+1 for UI. +1 for Grenade launcher.

Bungie fucked over Halo. Starting in Halo 3. Fuck the equipment. Fuck the BR spread and netcode. Fuck Snowbound. Fuck blank shots. Did anyone ever use the Pistol?

By all means, be pissed at 343. Giving Bungie a pass is ridiculous though. I still don't know how they went from Halo 3 to Reach. Some say it was chasing trends, I say they were hammered at work.

• Upvote (+1) 4

They showed mastodons in the trailer dumbass, not rhinos.

Don’t call yourself a “Halo fan”

What the what?

I still don't know how they went from Halo 3 to Reach. Some say it was chasing trends, I say they were hammered at work.

Too much Destiny on their minds.

Jesus Christ you didn't play vanilla Reach did you? Nothing like a good Armor Lock. Or a jetpack. Or unlimited Sprint. Or grey Forge. HOLOGRAMS NOBODY USED. No ranking system. Fucking bloom. I mean yeah, when you make Halo Reach not Halo Reach anymore ala MLG v7, it's a good game. I guess.

+1 for UI.

Bungie fucked over Halo. Starting in Halo 3. Fuck the equipment. Fuck the BR spread and netcode. Fuck Snowbound. Fuck blank shots. Did anyone ever use the Pistol?

By all means, be pissed at 343. Giving Bungie a pass is ridiculous though. I still don't know how they went from Halo 3 to Reach. Some say it was chasing trends, I say they were hammered at work.

I went to the Halo reach midnight realise, I played from day one. All I was saying was when you strip that game down (MLGv7) it was pretty damn good. 

Competitive Halo will never be as big as it was around the Halo 3 era, so that's all I'm going to say about that.

Bungie gets a pass from me cos they never made a Halo I didn't enjoy! where as 343? still waiting bro. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

MZ6vM3gUK0K4m9ghg8icXeRIeoGJgDB9lrWXsIdR

I'm becoming more and more convinced this game will be open world.

Count me in. The risk is worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I'm becoming more and more convinced this game will be open world.

Count me in. The risk is worth it.

We live in a society.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not saying 343 is full of idiots and that every employee there sucks, I'm sure there are a ton of talented people working there (environmental artists, engineers etc). The problem is most likely management, seeing how incapable they are of meeting deadlines and delivering content in a timely fashion. And even then, does it matter? Yes 343 is a big corporation with many different types of people but bottom line is they continue to be a massive letdown.Looking at their track record I just don't see how they are the chosen ones to give us the next Unreal Engine:

- MCC: they were responsible for the UI, MM and networking. All three of these were and continue to be colossal failures and it's going to take them 4+ years to fix it

- H4 was also a bug-ridden pos. Remember kill cams bugging out so they globally disabled them at some point? How it took them multiple attempts to add the red X upon death?

H5: If MCC didn't exist this would be the game with the buggiest UI in the last 5 years. They can't add more skins. It takes them 12 GB patches to balance weapons. Etc etc.

So to sum up, even ignoring their design choices for once, 343s games are sub par at best from a technical standpoint. Of course this might magically turn around with this new engine, but in my experience past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.

No games are bug free.  The real bugs that have plagued H4 and H5 are par for the course for any game.  They really stand out because H4 multiplayer was dogshit and H5 was totally devoid of content.  Frankly, it's kind of surprising there weren't more bugs considering that both games were edits of edits of edits of legacy af engines and both games are really remarkably stable given that context.

And yeah MCC was an unforgivable mess but most of the issues there are from piss-poor project management, QA, ego and again old AF tech.  The inability to turnaround updates quickly is a sign of both bad management/ego and technology that is too risky/time consuming to make changes and roll out updates.  Obviously, Microsoft has their hands in this and greenlit the plan.  There is no way 343 went to them and was like, "yeah so we need a new engine so its going to take 5 years for the next game instead of 3" and microsoft just went "ok cool".  Microsoft would have wanted there to be a much bigger ROI. If i were a betting man, i would say that Microsoft wants their own in-house engine for all of their studios and since 343 is their highest-profile developer, that's where its being made.  It doesn't matter where the engine is being made, as long as the personnell making it are good.  343's main problem hasn't been a lack of technical skill, its been a lack of a vision befitting the legacy of when Halo was actually fucking good.

Too much Destiny on their minds.

Reach was an experiment leading to destiny. I have no doubt about that.  They took Halo, fucked with it as an experiment since they knew they were canning the franchise anyway, then abandoned it.

• Upvote (+1) 5