CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

@basu i think im looking forward to Reach on PC more than i have any other game in a while.  And i HATED original Reach.  But with them making the TU settings nearly universal, i think it will be loads better in general.  I dropped reach almost as fast as i dropped Halo 4, so i never got to experience the TU when there was actually a good population of players or GoldPro settings at all.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm not saying it's every time obviously, but as I said in recent posts that weren't quoted, it can purely circumstantial sometimes. And given the prize, that doesn't sit right with me.

Keeping track of rockets isn’t circumstantial. But even if we pretend it is, it’s hilarious that stumbling across abandoned rockets isn’t okay, but getting gifted a rocket in ordinance in H4 is somehow better. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t particularly care for Infection but in my opinion, Reach was the best, mechanically speaking.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Keeping track of rockets isn’t circumstantial. But even if we pretend it is, it’s hilarious that stumbling across abandoned rockets isn’t okay, but getting gifted a rocket in ordinance in H4 is somehow better. 

Frankly, who cares if its circumstantial?  If the other team just "happened" upon them, either 1) someone on your team died with them and they found them on their body or 2) you weren't paying attention to the spawn.  To me it sounds like "happening upon" is a sour-grapes argument that really means "Shit i forgot they were spawning".

Now the argument could be made that this flow gets ruined by being a decent player on a team full of thumbless idiots, but if that's the case lets blame the right things here.  If its Ranked, then the ranking system didn't do its job.  If it social, that's just the hand you get dealt sometimes deal with it.  "Blaming the right things" also needs to be done when the weapons are basically free kills because they are both powerful AND super easy. Its not the fact that power weapons exist that is the problem, its the fact that they were made with thumbless idiots in mind to make them feel special and they're way too easy to use.  Removing the sniper and default rockets from Halo 5 might make that game play better, but its just a bandaid not a real solution.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

@basu i think im looking forward to Reach on PC more than i have any other game in a while.  And i HATED original Reach.  But with them making the TU settings nearly universal, i think it will be loads better in general.  I dropped reach almost as fast as i dropped Halo 4, so i never got to experience the TU when there was actually a good population of players or GoldPro settings at all.

Man I feel the same, the only upcoming PC release I'm looking forward to besides DOOM Eternal. Reach was ass before TU and I almost quit Halo for good but Anniversary brought me back, that plus BTB, ZBNS and GoldPro customs were a ton of fun. I can't even imagine playing it on PC without all that motion blur lmao.

• Like (+1) 1

ZBNS is like a whole different game. For those who skipped Reach or quit early, I highly reccomend trying it out. v7 or Gold Pro, both are great.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2

What do you think about a piece of Equipment that combats aerial vehicles without destroying them?

The Gravity Anchor fires a single, large projectile that sticks to and drags down an impacted aerial vehicle.  The anchor can be knocked off the vehicle with a melee.

If the operator remains in the vehicle, it can be hijacked.  If the operator exits the vehicle to melee the anchor off, he can be killed and the vehicle taken.

• Like (+1) 1

On the topic of power weapons I'd love to get a discussion going what weapons would are "acceptable" within a possible non-tiered sandbox and what tweaks would have to be made to them. The first thing is obviously to make the starting weapon hard to use again and give it a TTK of around 1s. That

• The Sniper is balanced because it's skillful especially if we base it on the H3 version that 1) doesn't aim itself and 2) has the nerfed RoF compared to CE and H2/A that allows for the quit 2 tap. Could nerf the rof even more or lower the clip size to make those headshots count.
  • Any shotgun besides the H5 mini-sniper one is fine by me, with a decent starting weapon this really isn't that much of an issue. You get that OHK or you're toast.
  • The Reach version of the GL is IMO a great weapon, probably the last good thing Bungie added to this franchise. Too bad the H5 version is just a way too easy remote-detonation rocket launcher. With fast enough movement speed this thing can be super challenging yet rewarding to use.
  • The Sentinel Beam/Focus Rifle could be super unique and skillful if it had a headshot bonus and overheated quickly to require accuracy and timing. Never understood the hate this thing gets.

... feel free to add.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hard Way said:

If we're going off the pure basis of stumbling on them, yeah, entirely. But "stumbling" is a vague term used to define the fact you're not always working for them to get them. You could be in respawn and find them on a dead body while your team moves up. You could not be paying attention to time at all, and slide down rocket hall on Pit because you have them trapped in their base, and have them respawn by you. You didn't work for them specifically, you still reap the rewards of borderline free kills if you're competent in any sense. To me, that's dumb.

With ordnance, you're having to work for it. In some way, shape or form, the medals you're getting to net more ordnance score all have something to do with engaging people. Distractions meaning less than kills for example, too. You're straight up getting a power weapon because you put in work during the game. The only time this differs is stacking. And you can stack regardless of ordnance being there or not.

I'm not saying I like ordnance, but one takes a helluvalot more individual work than the other does, removes some of the pure circumstance behind games, and at the cost of chaotic flow potentially, allows people to not be steamrolled as hard. If ordnance was consistent and post-ordnance #1 was only earned by utility kills, it'd undoubtedly be better at that point.

9 minutes ago, Basu said:

On the topic of power weapons I'd love to get a discussion going what weapons would are "acceptable" within a possible non-tiered sandbox and what tweaks would have to be made to them. The first thing is obviously to make the starting weapon hard to use again and give it a TTK of around 1s. That

• The Sniper is balanced because it's skillful especially if we base it on the H3 version that 1) doesn't aim itself and 2) has the nerfed RoF compared to CE and H2/A that allows for the quit 2 tap. Could nerf the rof even more or lower the clip size to make those headshots count.
  • Any shotgun besides the H5 mini-sniper one is fine by me, with a decent starting weapon this really isn't that much of an issue. You get that OHK or you're toast.
  • The Reach version of the GL is IMO a great weapon, probably the last good thing Bungie added to this franchise. Too bad the H5 version is just a way too easy remote-detonation rocket launcher. With fast enough movement speed this thing can be super challenging yet rewarding to use.
  • The Sentinel Beam/Focus Rifle could be super unique and skillful if it had a headshot bonus and overheated quickly to require accuracy and timing. Never understood the hate this thing gets.

... feel free to add.

Sentinel beam's the only good one. Snipers still promote sitting back to the point where range and pressure shots don't matter, shotguns are superbly dumb for any CQC map, as most 4v4 maps can be, effectively locking down sightlines without the weapon itself ever being hard, given the reticle is the size of a watermelon, and GLs are more explosives than can kill even if you don't see the person you fire at. And it usually spawns with 1-2 more shots than a rocket will. Allowing you to guess fire more freely.

The sentinel beam at least requires you to stay on target and doesn't instant kill you, even if it can melt you. Halo 5's was the best because it also melted vehicles. Two beam users could melt a Wraith in seconds. Was amazing. And more of them should be present on BTB maps, but that's besides the point.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Basu said:

... feel free to add.

This is an excellent starting point.  I think the Focus Rifle gets shit because the feedback on it is bad.  It doesn't feel good to use imo. i think the recoil is kind of weird.  Hard to describe but it just feels.. blah.  The damage feedback is bad too, how much damage did it do?  Same on the receiving end.  Thats why getting killed by the beam in H2 feels so terrible to me as well, but the H2 beam felt better to use so i was ok with it.  In H5 it also suffers from the thrust-enabled escapability problem. It kills too fast for anybody to turn and challenge it but slow enough you can thrust out of the way if you're paying attention. Feels like you do a lot of empty damage with it. EDIT after reading TheIcePrincess up there.  I used the Focus Rifle primarily against humans.  I could see it being much more fun to use against vehicles, but never really experienced that tbh.  If thats the appropriate bucket for it thats fine.

One niche thing i want are trickier sticky's like you had in H2.  Where you could bounce a grenade using the explosion of another grenade to shoot one around the corner.  Better physics for that type of thing in general.

Overall they need to make sure that the weapons have almost no bullet magnetism. And the tiny but of magnetism they do have needs to NOT prioritize the head.  That was my biggest frustration when they fucked the BR with the H5 rebalance.  All they had to do was tone down the stickiness and stop bending the bullets 90 degrees around corners and it would have been fine.  Hopefully all the weapons in Infinite follow that advice.

• Like (+1) 2

You could combine the focus rifle and the beam rifle.  Primary fire is a non headshot capable, hitscan, continuous beam.  Alternate fire is a headshot capable, projectile, semi auto shot.  Easier to hit long range shots with a hitscan weapon but it also requires a longer time on target.  Harder to hit a headshot with a projectile weapon but kills near instantly.

• Like (+1) 1

Halo reach definitely has the most balanced infection. And it’s honestly the most fun. 

• Release date: Holiday 2020 release for the entire Xbox family of devices, including Project Scarlett and Windows PCs
  • When does it take place in the universe: It follows the Master Chief's story some time after Halo 5: Guardians' conclusion
  • LAN: Halo Infinite will support LAN
  • Splitscreen: Splitscreen is up and running internally
  • Back in Black: Black undersuits will be in the game
  • Flighting Programs: These opt-in flights will start small and slowly expand out until release
  • PC: Flighting may come a little bit later for PC players, but we're treating it as a first-class citizen
  • Player Customization: If you liked the level armor customization options in Halo: Reach, you will be pleased
  • SR 152: Players who hit SR 152 in Halo 5: Guardians will receive a token of appreciation in Halo Infinite
  • Pro Team: There is an internal Pro Team for Halo Infinite

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/trailer-transmissions

• Like (+1) 2

Doesn't like system of equal chance for power weapons, because only one person can get them leading to snowballing. Prefers Ordnance system, which greatly rewards better players, and they don't even have to move anywhere, they can just jerk off from spawn and get an ordnance drop, so a better player can still steam roll because they are still going to get power weapons, except now, there is literally 0 chance of contesting them and preventing that from happening.

Yeah okay buddy.

6 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Doesn't like system of equal chance for power weapons, because only one person can get them leading to snowballing. Prefers Ordnance system, which greatly rewards better players, and they don't even have to move anywhere, they can just jerk off from spawn and get an ordnance drop, so a better player can still steam roll because they are still going to get power weapons, except now, there is literally 0 chance of contesting them and preventing that from happening.

Yeah okay buddy.

Hmm ordinance drops would be difficult to achieve in a ranked game atleast if done in my way where it resets after every death. And just to make it unlikely to achieve them let’s make it so 10-15 kills in a row without dying is when you can get a ordinance drop.  This rewards you for being more skilled.  Now I personally would prefer what you get depending on the playlist/mode. I think a power up like OS or camo be acceptable in ranked.

• WutFace (+0) 3

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Hmm ordinance drops would be difficult to achieve in a ranked game atleast if done in my way where it resets after every death. And just to make it unlikely to achieve them let’s make it so 10-15 kills in a row without dying is when you can get a ordinance drop.  This rewards you for being more skilled.  Now I personally would prefer what you get depending on the playlist/mode. I think a power up like OS or camo be acceptable in ranked.

So you'd prefer killstreaks in Halo? Are we trying to copy cod again?

• Like (+1) 2

The Tractor Beam is a battery operated, hitscan weapon with a 3x scope.  RT fires a continuous beam that pulls targeted players, vehicles, and moveable objects to the user (airborne players and vehicles are pulled quickly, grounded slowly).  RB picks up and carries a proximate, targeted, moveable object, like a crate or a fusion coil.  RB while carrying an object drops it.  RT while carrying an object launches it forward.  The D-pad reorients the object being held.

13 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Yeah okay buddy.

Not only just one person. To elaborate, it's the fact that you'd need to split off members of your team to get them, too. Meaning you could duo push rockets, and duo push camo on Pit. And while only one person went for camo on the opposite team, three went for rockets and just nade you out of there. Normally, you'd be able to back off since fighting that would be dumb, but you need to make some stand for this weapon, and chances are, by pure numeric standards, you're dying. Through no fault of your own, either. You could be the last one standing because you make god plays. Not like it matters in a game like Halo with its treatment of numbers advantages.

Of course, this style of push could happen regardless of power weapons existing, but obviously the issue is centered around the fact the reward can one shot you when you miss with it, lol. You lose that push and you're probably gonna lose the next spawn cycle. It's also just one side of things.

To contrast, of course you'll have those games where individuals are better and get power weapons more frequently through ordnance, and are able to stomp. But in that same token, those same players would be the ones decimating if they were just pickups. Tis the name of the power weapon game. It's an easy weapon, one just makes you work for it. Likewise, the fact each game basically caps out to three potential ordnance over the course of 10-12 minutes when some older maps spawn you in with three power weapons off the rip (FUCKING NARROWS) all on their own respawn cycles is also a-okay. And since you could kill the three other team members for tangible score to spawn in a counter to someone's sniper, over waiting for a pickup to spawn and being farmed, it's overall better and more reliable for the user on an individual level. Especially given we know every game isn't a pro match. 

Still not saying ordnance is good. Just that to me it's better than the opposite. Still would rather have neither.

• WutFace (+0) 2

6 hours ago, JordanB said:

So you'd prefer killstreaks in Halo? Are we trying to copy cod again?

Well I’m not against them. I like how cod does them basically only skilled people can manage to get them. I kinda liked Regicide from halo 4, because if you managed to stay as the king for a while you’d be rewarded an OS. Maybe deep down I want a game mode again that rewards the better player. In all honesty I’d like infinity(insert mode here) to be a thing again. Please don’t instantly dislike my post. There’s nothing actually bad about kill streaks since they reward you for actually being good. A BK isn’t going to get a frenzy or running riot, and your typical competitive player won’t either in ranked games. And I did say camo or OS would be better. It resetting every death is the perfect balance. That was my gripe about them in h4 anyway was there was no real skill in obtaining them.

• WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

Please don’t instantly dislike my post. There’s nothing actually bad about kill streaks since they reward you for actually being good. 

In cod, sure. This is Halo, if you want kill streaks then go play a different game that has kill streaks. Is anybody in the cod community clamoring for "no classes" "no sprint" "no kill streaks"? No? Wanna know why the cod community wanted classic cod back and to remove wall running and jet packs? Because those are core parts of what make cod, cod. 

You know what your reward for being good in Halo is? Power ups, power weapons, and a win. 

28 minutes ago, JordanB said:

In cod, sure. This is Halo, if you want kill streaks then go play a different game that has kill streaks. Is anybody in the cod community clamoring for "no classes" "no sprint" "no kill streaks"? No? Wanna know why the cod community wanted classic cod back and to remove wall running and jet packs? Because those are core parts of what make cod, cod. 

You know what your reward for being good in Halo is? Power ups, power weapons, and a win. 

Just because it's always been a certain way doesn't mean that's the best thing. And it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. Just look at CE to H2. Vastly different games. Yet you wouldn't call an H2 fan a fake fan or tell them to play a different game if they prefer it to CE. At some point someone made vast changes to the game and it created an entirely new game that tons of people enjoyed. It's funny, by being a die hard CE fan YOU'RE the one liking the anomaly. That game is so different from everything else it's insane. More different than any other group of halo games for that matter. So by definition of "tradition" CE fans are less fans of Halo than anyone else. And maybe they should find a new game. 

You need to stop trying to define "Halo" and stop adhering to arbitrary rules because "that's just halo" and start looking at things as a general concept. What YOU define as Halo is just something in your own head. Many people have many different definitions. Gameplay and mechanics don't need to be the exact same every single year. Times change. New things come out. People want new experiences. 

If Kill streaks were the norm in Halo and this argument was flipped you would literally an defending the opposite side. Do you see the problem with that way of thinking? If Halo never had power ups and I was arguing for them to be added to the game I PROMISE you the same people that are singing praise now would be VEHEMENTLY against them being added. Cuz "it's not halo bro". Just not a fan of that way of thinking. Most of these mechanics aren't being defended in terms of their actual merit. They're being defended because they are part of the game. You should be able to separate the game from the mechanics and analyze them at a base. Instead of just accepting things cuz thats just the way it is.

Being unique is near impossible. Just make a good and fun game however you see fit. The name is irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of if “it’s Halo” or not, securing a weapon on the map that every other player wants to secure for themselves requires more skill and causes more engagements than calling a weapon down to you from the sky in a location of your choosing.

Maybe if it wasn’t weapons.  Armor Ability killstreaks wouldn’t be so bad.

7 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Just because it's always been a certain way doesn't mean that's the best thing. And it doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed. Just look at CE to H2. Vastly different games. Yet you wouldn't call an H2 fan a fake fan or tell them to play a different game if they prefer it to CE. At some point someone made vast changes to the game and it created an entirely new game that tons of people enjoyed. It's funny, by being a die hard CE fan YOU'RE the one liking the anomaly. That game is so different from everything else it's insane. More different than any other group of halo games for that matter. So by definition of "tradition" CE fans are less fans of Halo than anyone else. And maybe they should find a new game. 

You need to stop trying to define "Halo" and stop adhering to arbitrary rules because "that's just halo" and start looking at things as a general concept. What YOU define as Halo is just something in your own head. Many people have many different definitions. Gameplay and mechanics don't need to be the exact same every single year. Times change. New things come out. People want new experiences. 

If Kill streaks were the norm in Halo and this argument was flipped you would literally an defending the opposite side. Do you see the problem with that way of thinking? If Halo never had power ups and I was arguing for them to be added to the game I PROMISE you the same people that are singing praise now would be VEHEMENTLY against them being added. Cuz "it's not halo bro". Just not a fan of that way of thinking. Most of these mechanics aren't being defended in terms of their actual merit. They're being defended because they are part of the game. You should be able to separate the game from the mechanics and analyze them at a base. Instead of just accepting things cuz thats just the way it is.

Being unique is near impossible. Just make a good and fun game however you see fit. The name is irrelevant. 

Halo might not be one thing, but there are things that are not Halo. 

Kill streaks aren't Halo. Wall running isn't Halo. Specialists or having a special ability that you either get to choose, or level up to, are not Halo. 

I didn't define what Halo is in my above post, I just defined what Halo isn't. 

7 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Halo might not be one thing, but there are things that are not Halo. 

Kill streaks aren't Halo. Wall running isn't Halo. Specialists or having a special ability that you either get to choose, or level up to, are not Halo. 

I didn't define what Halo is in my above post, I just defined what Halo isn't. 

Okay and if the next Halo does all these things? Then what? You cant sit here and say things that "arent halo" when there is no rules regarding what it is or isnt. Again  its just all things YOU decided on. From your own mind.