CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

23 minutes ago, Basu said:

Because it's easy as fuck ? It's like calling in an Apache or AC130 in Call of Duty. Mindless sure, but can't deny it's fun.

Okay, let's dig a bit deeper. How is something mindless and easy simultaneously acknowledged, but said to be fun? More so, where is the fun? Obviously it's not objective, but if there's no challenge to something, where do you find enjoyment with it?

5 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Okay, let's dig a bit deeper. How is something mindless and easy simultaneously acknowledged, but said to be fun? More so, where is the fun? Obviously it's not objective, but if there's no challenge to something, where do you find enjoyment with it? 

I get what you're saying and it's definitely only fun in short bursts. It definitely gets stale fast, anyone who has ever played too much combat training in Black Ops can probably relate to this. So the lack of challenge kills the long-term enjoyment that's for sure.

Deep down idk why it's fun, I'm not a psychologist or well-versed in game theory. I don't think all people necessarily need a challenge to have fun though. Look at games like CoD, Titanfall and the like that offer pretty marginal learning curves but people will swear they're having fun in these games for years on end. You're probably more competitive by nature which is why you need a challenge to have fun.

You know what I miss?

Bad company.

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, Basu said:

I can't deny how fun to it to call in a Banshee Ultra or Hannibal Mantis and go to town.

I sure can.

• Downvote (-1) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

For example, I like to get totally shitfaced. It's not hard, and its super easy, and is actually mind numbingly dumb, but it sure is fun.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

For example, I like to get totally shitfaced. It's not hard, and its super easy, and is actually mind numbingly dumb, but it sure is fun.

Which is its own weird thing of "why is it fun to basically incapacitate yourself". But I'm more so just referring to easy gameplay mechanics.

3 hours ago, Basu said:

I get what you're saying and it's definitely only fun in short bursts. It definitely gets stale fast, anyone who has ever played too much combat training in Black Ops can probably relate to this. So the lack of challenge kills the long-term enjoyment that's for sure.

Deep down idk why it's fun, I'm not a psychologist or well-versed in game theory. I don't think all people necessarily need a challenge to have fun though. Look at games like CoD, Titanfall and the like that offer pretty marginal learning curves but people will swear they're having fun in these games for years on end. You're probably more competitive by nature which is why you need a challenge to have fun.

Sure they don't. That's what confuses me. Given challenges require some effort and no challenge requires no effort, thus resulting in a boring game, because you're not exerting yourself. Obviously, I don't need to explain this, you get it, but the masses are weird. Enjoying things with no real difficulty to me, is weird.

In my opinion Reqs should be earned like score streaks from cod. No BK shit, you want that banshee mofo you putting in work, you better stay alive. Now load out stuff like armor mods and BRS and DMRS are earned through the original way, but just so we don’t have teams stacked with the most op weapons known to man we make it so the REQ score resets on every death. I honestly never hated ordinance drops, I HATED how anyone could get them. There was no skill in getting them! 

• WutFace (+0) 1

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I honestly never hated ordinance drops, I HATED how anyone could get them. There was no skill in getting them! 

There's no skill in picking up a weapon, either, lol. It can literally boil down to circumstance, as we know. At the least ordnance requires you to be doing something in some way related to inherent combat to get them.

Anyone getting them stopped Halo's issue in being a snowball, lol. Because, you know, half of Halo's power weapons are one shot capable. Giving them to everyone is chaos in a nutshell, but it's better than bending over and just taking a beating to weapons that aren't hard to use because someone happened to pick up a rocket launcher.

5 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

You know what I miss?

Bad company.

Rush on Valparaiso.

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

There's no skill in picking up a weapon, either, lol. It can literally boil down to circumstance, as we know. At the least ordnance requires you to be doing something in some way related to inherent combat to get them.

Anyone getting them stopped Halo's issue in being a snowball, lol. Because, you know, half of Halo's power weapons are one shot capable. Giving them to everyone is chaos in a nutshell, but it's better than bending over and just taking a beating to weapons that aren't hard to use because someone happened to pick up a rocket launcher.

You’re against power weapons because they’re one shot capable and easy to use(only halo where sniping was mildly difficult was h3&reach most of y’all couldn’t snipe for shit in reach when it wasn’t Team snipers which doesn’t count) you fail to understand or like the fact they’re used to win a game or make a comeback. Sure maps like midship May work fine without power weapons, but maps like narrows and pit do not. Also if you want to mention incentives to move, then what prevents people from being stationary? What gives a man on P3 a quality reason to remove himself from this powerful spot? A power weapon or up sure could do it. The OBJ(he’s there to ensure his teammates can run that flag) ? Power weapons off on certain maps just doesn’t work well, makes making a comeback more difficult(not in the good way) etc. there’s been many moments in halos history, where a power weapon like the snipe or rockets helped create the biggest comebacks ever. Sniping a man before he could cap the flag is a prime example? 

49 minutes ago, Arlong said:

You’re against power weapons because they’re one shot capable and easy to use(only halo where sniping was mildly difficult was h3&reach most of y’all couldn’t snipe for shit in reach when it wasn’t Team snipers which doesn’t count) you fail to understand or like the fact they’re used to win a game or make a comeback. Sure maps like midship May work fine without power weapons, but maps like narrows and pit do not. Also if you want to mention incentives to move, then what prevents people from being stationary? What gives a man on P3 a quality reason to remove himself from this powerful spot? A power weapon or up sure could do it. The OBJ(he’s there to ensure his teammates can run that flag) ? Power weapons off on certain maps just doesn’t work well, makes making a comeback more difficult(not in the good way) etc. there’s been many moments in halos history, where a power weapon like the snipe or rockets helped create the biggest comebacks ever. Sniping a man before he could cap the flag is a prime example? 

I think you missed my point. I was just saying ordnance is better than map pickups by the sole reason everyone can get them and it doesn't turn into a snowball, and that picking up power weapons isn't a skillful maneuver, and definitely not one worth rewarding an easy-ass one shot kill weapon for. I wasn't really talking on the effects of power weapons in game.

Not everything in a video game needs to be inherently skillful. Just like sugar, it's fine in moderation. Power weapons, power ups and (certain) vehicles are perfectly fine this way. It's ok to not like sugar, but that doesn't mean it deserves to go away for the rest of us who occasionally crave it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

Not everything in a video game needs to be inherently skillful. Just like sugar, it's fine in moderation. Power weapons, power ups and (certain) vehicles are perfectly fine this way. It's ok to not like sugar, but that doesn't mean it deserves to go away for the rest of us who occasionally crave it.

Sure things don't need to be skillful 100% of the time in games. That's why we'd ideally design games with "fun", but unskilled elements for players to latch onto in say, single-player and keep them out of competitive play, most, if not all of the time. So you can blow AI to hell with uber-weapons, or splatter a row of Grunts in a Ghost. However, if I'm playing something competitive, I want to mitigate as much of the bullshit as I can to get better, to ensure what I do has the maximum impact, ensuring I'm not outclassed just because a weapon is legitimately uncontestable from a pure power or ease of use standpoint, compared to what I spawn with. Simply isn't fun and is counter-intuitive to the idea of competitive design.

Dunno why we'd want unskilled/lesser skilled shit in moderation in comp play. We shouldn't want it at all.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Sure things don't need to be skillful 100% of the time in games. That's why we'd ideally design games with "fun", but unskilled elements for players to latch onto in say, single-player and keep them out of competitive play, most, if not all of the time. So you can blow AI to hell with uber-weapons, or splatter a row of Grunts in a Ghost. However, if I'm playing something competitive, I want to mitigate as much of the bullshit as I can to get better, to ensure what I do has the maximum impact, ensuring I'm not outclassed just because a weapon is legitimately uncontestable from a pure power or ease of use standpoint, compared to what I spawn with. Simply isn't fun and is counter-intuitive to the idea of competitive design.

Dunno why we'd want unskilled/lesser skilled shit in moderation in comp play. We shouldn't want it at all.

You make a point, except power weapons contribute to the overall competitive nature of the game on top of being a moderated fun factor. Well, fun for the rest of us.

• Like (+1) 1

Eh. The idea of actual power weapons doesn't sit right with me much any more. I like that in CE the sniper and shotgun mostly served as different weapons, rather than better ones. I walk over them quite frequently in that game and don't pick them up. That was never true in the franchise past that point. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

You make a point, except power weapons contribute to the overall competitive nature of the game on top of being a moderated fun factor. Well, fun for the rest of us.

And now I ask you what I asked Basu, what is fun about it to you, fully acknowledging what you do?

14 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

That was my impression as well until I watched that full video. Seems it's game wide.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks when they are having their MP test

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

because someone happened to pick up a rocket launcher.

Yeah that’s totally how that works...:stern:

• Like (+1) 2

A good "power weapon" should have a pure killing power advantage over the spawn weapon. But it shouldn't be free kills and come with difficulty/risks/drawbacks when using that are appropriate to its power. That and rockets should be the only power weapon in Halo

27 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Yeah that’s totally how that works...:stern:

I used to be against informing players of when power items were spawning but now, I would be in favor of flashing lights and audible announcements that inform players that there is a blue light special on aisle Rocket Launcher just so everyone could experience the flow of a game where every player contests every power item spawn.  I feel like the main reason people don’t enjoy them is because they don’t keep track of them.

I used to play with this kid Scottie who was a talking clock.  He called out every power item on pick up, at 30 seconds to respawn, and 10 seconds to respawn.  He wasn’t the best shooter but I still played with him because I felt like he raised the overall team skill by raising our awareness.  Everyone should have a Scottie.

If someone really loved utility weapon battles, they should be in favor of power items because it draws a whole bunch of utility weapon users to the same spot to fight it out.  

12 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

A good "power weapon" should have a pure killing power advantage over the spawn weapon. But it shouldn't be free kills and come with difficulty/risks/drawbacks when using that are appropriate to its power. That and rockets should be the only power weapon in Halo

Should the Rocket Launcher have zero aim assist?  Does a weapon with a large explosive blast radius need aim assist?  Hell, do you even want it when you are trying to lead a target or aim at the floor or wall next to them?

30 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Should the Rocket Launcher have zero aim assist?  Does a weapon with a large explosive blast radius need aim assist?  Hell, do you even want it when you are trying to lead a target or aim at the floor or wall next to them?

It shouldn't. A delay between shots if it has 2 per reload is nice too. Obviously you should have a utility weapon capable of punishing players between said shots. Splash damage, explosion radius, speed of rockets, etc. all depend on the game but rockets shouldn't be too easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

I used to be against informing players of when power items were spawning but now, I would be in favor of flashing lights and audible announcements that inform players that there is a blue light special on aisle Rocket Launcher just so everyone could experience the flow of a game where every player contests every power item spawn.  I feel like the main reason people don’t enjoy them is because they don’t keep track of them.

I used to play with this kid Scottie who was a talking clock.  He called out every power item on pick up, at 30 seconds to respawn, and 10 seconds to respawn.  He wasn’t the best shooter but I still played with him because I felt like he raised the overall team skill by raising our awareness.  Everyone should have a Scottie.

If someone really loved utility weapon battles, they should be in favor of power items because it draws a whole bunch of utility weapon users to the same spot to fight it out.  

CE rockets don’t have AA and it’s still easy AF to kill with. 

6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Eh. The idea of actual power weapons doesn't sit right with me much any more. I like that in CE the sniper and shotgun mostly served as different weapons, rather than better ones. I walk over them quite frequently in that game and don't pick them up. That was never true in the franchise past that point. 

Aside from Rockets every weapon should be more like alternatives than upgrades,  I think most people here would agree with that. It's just a shame that the developers got carried away with the term "power weapons" so much that now the sniper needs to be on a longer timer that Rockets. 

Personally I don't care about Rockets and would be fine with a flat hierarchy of weapons. Stuff like the Caster and all the rifles would have to go, Shotty and Sword need to stop being mid-range weapons, all snipers need a massive AA nerf etc.

• Like (+1) 3

The rockets need no aim assist because AA fucks with your ability to place a rocket at their feet. 

• Like (+1) 8

7 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

And now I ask you what I asked Basu, what is fun about it to you, fully acknowledging what you do?

I enjoy contesting rockets, and enjoy blowing players and vehicles the fuck up. I earned the right to do so, so my moderated fun is inoffensive to the competitive aspect of the game and perfectly fine. I don't know what you mean by what I do.

7 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I guess I should clarify that this is my ideology as well. Shotty and snipe only became power weapons in relation to the gimped sandbox of future Halo titles, and I very much want a return to form where the vast majority of the sandbox is utilitarian or specialized, not upgrade based. However, power weapons are perfectly fine, even in a CE style sandbox. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1