CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I like strongsiding in general.  H2 and 3 it leads to some especially exciting moments, especially in objective games that would otherwise never happen.  It H2 though, you could EAT shots doing it, it was a little much but by H5 it's totally useless. Somewhere in between those 2 extremes would be better. Basically make the headshot hitbox 50-75% smaller when strongsiding and force a perfect shot but don't make it totally impossible to hit a headshot like it was in H2.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strongsiding is useless in H4 and 5 because the insane bullet magnetism makes a shot in the back count as a headshot, this isn't 343 realizing SS was too effective as a getaway tool.

Strongsiding is only effective from one direction.  Making it anything less than 100% effective for that one direction makes an already niche maneuver virtually useless.

@Apoll0

A Ninja (jumping backwards, looking down backsmack) can turn the tide of a losing battle if the enemy makes a mistake (rushes in for the melee) and the user pulls off a perfectly timed, blind maneuver.  The ability to Ninja is dependent on the ability to effectively strongside.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

A Ninja (jumping backwards, looking down backsmack) can turn the tide of a losing battle if the enemy makes a mistake (rushes in for the melee) and the user pulls off a perfectly timed, blind maneuver.  The ability to Ninja is dependent on the ability to effectively strongside.

Ninja-ing has also been cheapened by thruster. Shit used to be cool now it's child's play.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On the topic of Chief's armor: 

I personally like the one of the right the most

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

It makes the visor look a lot cooler as well.

1 hour ago, OG Nick said:

Looks more like H4/5 stuff that way imo. Didn't we settled we want the classic artstyle back ? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's been a couple of days to gather my thoughts, but initially, and for the most part still, didn't do anything for me. I don't know if I liked the tugging of the nostalgia strings with the familiar music, spaces, and dialogue when we didn't see any gameplay to back it up.

On the topic of Chief's armor, I'm fine with it but the chest feels meh and I was never fan of the white 117. The shoulder pieces still feel too big. All in all it feels like a much more natural progression of armor from Halo 3 than what we got in 4/5. I was reminded of this concept art through watching this trailer with his armor and the way he was powered back on:

master-chief-awakening-uncompressed-9838

9 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Looks more like H4/5 stuff that way imo. Didn't we settled we want the classic artstyle back ? 

Color of armor =! ignoring classic artstyle

The color on the right actually matches Halo 3's but I prefer the lighter green.

"Sprint makes it too easy to disengage from fights, it needs be removed from the game. Also, strongsiding was frickin' sick, they should bring it back."

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 4

2 hours ago, RyanW said:

Color of armor =! ignoring classic artstyle

The color on the right actually matches Halo 3's but I prefer the lighter green.

I don't find the edit anything like H3. Maybe its  the image itself.

My master chief has to be the color of freshly cut grass on a Tuesday morning.

• Like (+1) 1

Brilliant video, really well-documented and shows the history and nosedive of this franchise during the last 8 years. Should be mandatory viewing for all of /r/halo and Waypoint IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PolyG said:

Chief seems to have been downgraded from GEN II. Conjecture of course, but methinks it has to do with Halo Infinite's hinted 'RPG-like systems'. I honestly don't see where any thrusters would be. This game probably has you actively upgrade Chief's armor and 'abilities' throughout the SP.

Tis GEN3. It's a straight upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Basu said:

and nosedive of this franchise during the first 9 years.

FTFY. Teehee.

4 hours ago, OG Nick said:

On the topic of Chief's armor: I personally like the one of the right the most

See, I like both for different reasons, but it's astounding to me that "too colorful" can be a complaint in Halo, lol. Personally, I don't get the weird post-Reach obsession with dingy and gross shades, which is where this comes from, as per comments. 

8 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

FTFY. Teehee.

Core gameplay I agree lol, H2 and 3 are mechanically very weak compared to what came before and yeah H5 does things like weapons shooting straight and faster kill times better than those two, I just wish that didn't come with all the other baggage.

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, Basu said:

Core gameplay I agree lol, H2 and 3 are mechanically very weak compared to what came before and yeah H5 does things like weapons shooting straight and faster kill times better than those two, I just wish that didn't come with all the other baggage.

Yeah, pseudo-related, but I find it baffling that with every subsequent game release, Bungie had something up their sleeve to fuck your base weapon. Going off that it was straight downgrade central. So weird, even excluding later titles. Also even going past things like movement skill, it was like it was their mission to downgrade the player. Just a weird design philosophy.

• Like (+1) 2

Wasn't it pretty clear Bungie hated the competitive side of Halo? Or am I just imagining things? 

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Yeah, pseudo-related, but I find it baffling that with every subsequent game release, Bungie had something up their sleeve to fuck your base weapon. Going off that it was straight downgrade central. So weird, even excluding later titles. Also even going past things like movement skill, it was like it was their mission to downgrade the player. Just a weird design philosophy.

Yeah fully agree. With every new Bungie game the player got gimped more and more. I'm pretty sure during H2 development they admitted to wanting to cater to a wider audience and therefore probably wanted to compress the skill gap, but they went about it in such a terrible way. After H3 they definitely went too far though because even the most casual casual gamers I know fucking hated bloom.

3 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Wasn't it pretty clear Bungie hated the competitive side of Halo? Or am I just imagining things? 

Nah you're right. Bungie was just a bunch of chubby-faced casuals. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mythik Nick said:

"Sprint makes it too easy to disengage from fights, it needs be removed from the game. Also, strongsiding was frickin' sick, they should bring it back."

:lxthul:

Sprint is to strongsiding as clamber is to spring jumps.

But yeah, strongsiding was dumb

• Like (+1) 1

On the topic of Bungie getting worse over time...

• Like (+1) 6

I like strongsiding, as least how it works in H2 and H3.

And yes Bungie really disliked the competitive community.