CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

6 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Yes it's just hype.  The 1st-person segments of the trailer likely look better because, well, they did make misc improvements and it's also running on Scarlet-esque hardware.  Higher res, as well as most certainly being prerendered.

And again, "new engine".  What does that mean lol there's no defining line. Do I think Infinite will look better graphically? Yeah probably.  Do I think the 5 year dev-cycle and half a billion dollar budget will be justified by this "new" engine? Absolutely not.  All hype. Don't expect anything ground breaking from it.

To actually make your own engine in house and compete with public engines like Unreal takes a LOT of engineering work.  Because you're working with a small private team in the studio to make graphical improvements that keep pace with the rest of the entire industry.  It's why so few proprietary engines actually look good.  id tech looks phenomenal but id also has wizards for programmers.  Dice has frostbite but it takes an armada of engineers and billions of dollars to maintain it. Meanwhile look at every other dev team using proprietary tools.  Halo? Call of Duty? You can see where their engines in the past 5-years or so if starting to have trouble keeping up.  When someone in Unreal Engine makes good looking water, everyone using Unreal Engine gets good looking water.  Then everyone using proprietary engine has to sit there and try to replicate it with their own tools.  Very time consuming and expensive.  Even the 3 Call of Duty studios have 3 different versions of Radiant, which is why their games don't look good anymore.  They can't even consolidate their own tools.

Also if you talk to programmers who worked on these beautiful engines like Frostbite or Crytech they'll all say that they're made of glass.  Meaning, it looks pretty but don't touch anything because it'll break. Very buggy and difficult to work with, as most proprietary engines are.  It's like nothing is every truly flushed out, it's just sorta there.  Seriously making a curved stair case in Call of Duty took like 6 hours because I had to manually create every step out of a block, and then place the invisible clipping to have players walk up it.  In Unreal you just have a tool for curved staircases, takes like 10 seconds.  Imagine that, times a million in every possible circumstance.  It just works.

Damn,  all these halos should just be on Ue4 then. Game would of been released by now. 

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Damn,  all these halos should just be on Ue4 then. Game would of been released by now. 

1: Microsoft doesn't want to pay the royalty fee's to Epic for that, which is a considerate chunk of money

2: The things Halo needs its engine is good at doing.  Networked physics, and such.  Just don't expect anything ground breaking graphically from the Halo franchise ever again.

4 minutes ago, lofike said:

https://skyboxlabs.com/jobs/

We had a guy from skybox lab talk about indie game dev, so I talked to the guy a bit about Halo and he's working on the UI for slip space tools. he told me when he saw infinite, he squealed like a little girl and he's a fan of the old school Halo .

90% sure he's talking about campaign only tho. 

You gotta admit chiefs armor looked really good. Shit looked polished AF. Speaking of UI, we need a UI like reach hands down perfection.

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

1: Microsoft doesn't want to pay the royalty fee's to Epic for that, which is a considerate chunk of money

2: The things Halo needs its engine is good at doing.  Networked physics, and such.  Just don't expect anything ground breaking graphically from the Halo franchise ever again.

How much we talking here? It can’t be that much if we’re talking about m$ not to mention they’re going to use UE4 for MCC UI when Reach/PC releases.

Just now, Arlong said:

How much we talking here? It can’t be that much if we’re talking about m$ not to mention they’re going to use UE4 for MCC UI when Reach/PC releases.

Standard for using UE4 and launching on Epic Store is 12%, but if you're a big dev you can usually make deals with 'em.  No matter what it is, it's more than 0$ which is what Microsoft pays for using it's own engine.  Or that's the thinking at least.  Doesn't really pan out when you're doing 5 year dev cycles though.

25 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Standard for using UE4 and launching on Epic Store is 12%, but if you're a big dev you can usually make deals with 'em.  No matter what it is, it's more than 0$ which is what Microsoft pays for using it's own engine.  Or that's the thinking at least.  Doesn't really pan out when you're doing 5 year dev cycles though.

Considering they suckered up to use it for a UI, its clear they’re “open”. 

Seeing lots of these comments on YouTube:

“Goodnight gruntslayer24 talk to you soon!”

gruntslayer24 last online 8 years ago

"We need to run"

"No, we need to fight"

No sprint confirmed.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Just don't expect anything ground breaking graphically from the Halo franchise ever again.

I honestly don't give a damn about graphical fidelity anymore. 

At this point, just give me a game that looks like Halo CE, but takes all that modern processing power and puts it towards enhancing the actual gameplay and making sure it runs at a stable framerate.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Ce is one of the few games in the franchise where the armor looks genuinely metallic and not like some plastic action figure that's going to splinter into a million pieces the second it takes impact from anything.

In spite of their graphical enhancements 343I somehow can't even get that right, which is just baffling to me.

7 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

"We need to run"

"No, we need to fight"

No sprint confirmed.

As Boyo said, you can't run and fight at the same time if there's sprint, so sprint is confirmed.  :simms:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

As Boyo said, you can't run and fight at the same time if there's sprint, so sprint is confirmed.  :simms:

Err... that's another way how to put it.

7 hours ago, KurtiZ said:

I'm going to predict at max we get Sprint and Thrust, but perhaps they will instead do some kind of combination as the single ability there is. (Thrust sideways but if you do it forwards you go for a longer distance/run for a bit after)

This is not that unlikely. Maybe it's be like Advanced Warfare where you can't dash forward unless you jump first and on the ground you can only go backwards and sideways. Sprint might get even more nerfs with stopping power, ramp up time and shield charge delay. Still, even if they do some shit like that it will hurt the game because no matter how many band-aids they slap on top these mechanics will always clash with Halo's gameplay.

Honestly they should just up the FOV, BMS and weapon sway and if they really really need some dashy bullshit mechanic give us double jump and fast fall. Slide can stay if thrust is gone because it's honestly quite useless without the thrustslide exploit. Stabilizer, clamber and the OHK melee abilities can die in a fire for all I know.

I thought things looked cool from the trailer. I thought the trailer itself was a bit boring, but I like Chief’s armour and everything. I want to see more of the game though... it’s so hard waiting 😭

@Arlong I’ve played zero seconds of Minecraft, have no plans to try it, and don’t want to talk about it on this forum.

If I really wanted to build something I’d do it in Forge, and that game has the unshakeable stigma of being for children. I just want nothing to do with it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Here’s kind of a silly idea for Equipment:

The Hacking Dart is a piece of Equipment that the user shoots at a vehicle, empty or occupied.  It gives the user control over the vehicle via the D-pad.  Up toggles full speed forward on, Left and Right steer, and Down self destructs (after a short countdown).

With the right map design, CTF could play well with this equipment.  Warthog runs can take the flag carrier on a less exposed route but there is a turn at the end that, if the driver were to keep going straight, would send the hog and all its passengers falling off the edge to their death.  If the carrier’s Hog was previously hit with a hacking dart, the user could wait for them to get almost home with it, then send them flying off the map via remote control.

39 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

@Arlong I’ve played zero seconds of Minecraft, have no plans to try it, and don’t want to talk about it on this forum.

If I really wanted to build something I’d do it in Forge, and that game has the unshakeable stigma of being for children. I just want nothing to do with it.

The funny thing is that kids now are acting like Minecraft is the "back in my day game" and Fortnite is where all the kiddies are at. The irony is comical.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

You’re one of those people 

11 minutes ago, Basu said:

The funny thing is that kids now are acting like Minecraft is the "back in my day game" and Fortnite is where all the kiddies are at. The irony is comical.

Lol yeah. Just wondering if anyone here be interested in hytale. Game looks great. 

So basically nothing changed from last year? We still don’t have the slightest clue what type of game we’re getting, the date for the beta, flights, how will this be playable on the og xbox ones, anything really.  

Like I said before, something is wrong here. This is a little strange to be honest. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Stoppabl3 said:

So basically nothing changed from last year? We still don’t have the slightest clue what type of game we’re getting, the date for the beta, flights, how will this be playable on the og xbox ones, anything really.  

Like I said before, something is wrong here. This is a little strange to be honest. 

Lol maybe it’s basically two games in one.

14 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

The optimist in me says some big names at Microsoft showed up at 343 furious about the declining sales and online population ever since they took over and says "you guys get one more shot at this and if it's another flop this studio is done", in return they got an extended deadline to really make it work and they're giving it their all to finally make a game deserving that Halo logo on the box.

The pessimist says they have no idea what they're doing and are stuck in development hell with tons of mismanaged resources, poor creative direction and both the Slipspace engine and Halo Infinite are going to fall flat on their faces and be largely forgotten in 5-10 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it really classic armor? To me it looks like new armor that has halo3’s matchmaking color. 

9 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Is it really classic armor? To me it looks like new armor that has halo3’s matchmaking color. 

Just look at it closer, it resembles his look in h2a cutscenes.