CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

14 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I didn't see a thruster pack on Chief's armour.

He did start sprinting out of the Pelican though

39 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Your blind you can’t even see. 

Anyone here like Minecraft? Check out a game that’s taking MC but way better.

• Downvote (-1) 3
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Just an FYI 

The engine is developed by both Skybox Labs and 343i. 

17 minutes ago, lofike said:

Just an FYI 

The engine is developed by both Skybox Labs and 343i. 

Oh it is? 

Shout out to the reach assault rifle. And classic shield noise.

11 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Shout out to the reach assault rifle.

The worst Assault Rifle.

(imo)

8 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The worst Assault Rifle.

(imo)

In power sure, but looks and sound too? 

@Ling Ling guess you’re not a fan huh?

I'm going to predict at max we get Sprint and Thrust, but perhaps they will instead do some kind of combination as the single ability there is. (Thrust sideways but if you do it forwards you go for a longer distance/run for a bit after)

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

That’s because you gain different abilities throughout the game. It will be a Metroidvania.

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

Done is by a state where making a game on here, it doesn’t break. Engines are always getting modified, until they hit a point where it’s basically too annoying(BLAM). This engine I’ll at best speculate took years, this might be as good if not better than unreal engine 4.

LOL

yeah no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

What's gonna be better, 1 new engine by people who can't get a game to handle 60 fps or an established engine with years of work put into it

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

What's gonna be better, 1 new engine by people who can't get a game to handle 60 fps or an established engine with years of work put into it

It’s more or less it’s an outdated engine. The blam engine sucks looking at it from a modern perspective. 

14 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

LOL

yeah no.

I decided to add annoying instead of limitations or difficulties. It’s better for you coders to work on an engine that’s easier than frustrating am I wrong? 

6 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I decided to add annoying instead of limitations or difficulties. It’s better for you coders to work on an engine that’s easier than frustrating am I wrong? 

I don't know how to comprehend that sentence.  But I've been reading all the posts you've been making the last few pages and you're making a lot of claims that are just blatantly wrong.  Don't make excuses or statements one way or the other if you just don't know man.

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

The entire reason h6 is taking so long is because of the ENGINE. A new game engine, aka not a modification of the original CE engine! This means you can’t do what most games do and transfer assets from previous games over, you literally gotta start from scratch. 

You literally can.  3d assets are made outside of engine, in fact basically every aspect of game development is done outside the game engine is complimentary programs.  VFX editors, photoshop, Maya, etc.  The game engine serves as a conglomerate that brings everything together under one umbrella.  This means that any basic file, should be compatible with just about any engine.  Most 3d files are .obj, .fbx, etc.

The only time this isn't true is for excellent engines like Unreal that have proprietary tools that are better than competitors.  Unreal has used Cascade in the past but the new version called Niagra in 4.2 is the best VFX program as far as I'm concerned.  That can't be transferred from engine to engine because it's completely proprietary.

Halo's engine has always been based on Maya meaning nothing is proprietary.  Their level designers even work in Maya which is just a 3d sculptor, unlike most dev teams which have a purpose built editor.

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

I’m pointing out simply what can’t be done. I’m not sure what those other designers would be doing(maybe helping out with pc MCC’s until they get the thumbs up the engine is finished which I’m sure was finished some time around last year. They can’t work on an engine if it’s not done yet.  

Yes they can.  It's not an incomplete freeway.  It's more like swapping out one piece of furniture at a time in a house.

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

Those level designers have to be able to work on that engine remember? They can’t just work on the current engine and transfer their work to the completely new engine. It’s not an engine modification. This is like taking reach(blam engine) and putting it on unreal engine 4. It can’t be done or I’m very sure it be a lot more difficult than it’s worth. 

^ Again, their level designers work out of Maya.

Unreal Engine is a master class of years of programming from some of the best engineers in the industry.  It's going to be a long, long, LONG time before any competing engine comes anywhere close.  And Epic would have to take a nice long vacation for that to happen. The way it handles lighting, performance, physics, blueprint scripting, its interface, compatibility, stability, error reporting.. you just don't know until you've worked in a shit engine and then tried UE4.  It's night and day. 

Halo's engine is not even close, nor will it ever be.  The one single thing that Halo's engine does really well that I've heard a lot of devs talk about is networking moving objects.  Vehicles, crates, props, etc.  Very difficult to do it as smoothly and flawlessly as Halo does, which is only a product of 2 decades of being built upon it.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I don't know how to comprehend that sentence.  But I've been reading all the posts you've been making the last few pages and you're making a lot of claims that are just blatantly wrong.  Don't make excuses or statements one way or the other if you just don't know man.

You literally can.  3d assets are made outside of engine, in fact basically every aspect of game development is done outside the game engine is complimentary programs.  VFX editors, photoshop, Maya, etc.  The game engine serves as a conglomerate that brings everything together under one umbrella.  This means that any basic file, should be compatible with just about any engine.  Most 3d files are .obj, .fbx, etc.

The only time this isn't true is for excellent engines like Unreal that have proprietary tools that are better than competitors.  Unreal has used Cascade in the past but the new version called Niagra in 4.2 is the best VFX program as far as I'm concerned.  That can't be transferred from engine to engine because it's completely proprietary.

Halo's engine has always been based on Maya meaning nothing is proprietary.  Their level designers even work in Maya which is just a 3d sculptor, unlike most dev teams which have a purpose built editor.

Yes they can.  It's not an incomplete freeway.  It's more like swapping out one piece of furniture at a time in a house.

^ Again, their level designers work out of Maya.

Unreal Engine is a master class of years of programming from some of the best engineers in the industry.  It's going to be a long, long, LONG time before any competing engine comes anywhere close.  And Epic would have to take a nice long vacation for that to happen. The way it handles lighting, performance, physics, blueprint scripting, its interface, compatibility, stability, error reporting.. you just don't know until you've worked in a shit engine and then tried UE4.  It's night and day. 

Halo's engine is not even close, nor will it ever be.  The one single thing that Halo's engine does really well that I've heard a lot of devs talk about is networking moving objects.  Vehicles, crates, props, etc.  Very difficult to do it as smoothly and flawlessly as Halo does, which is only a product of 2 decades of being built upon it.

I always thought game development is based on a current engine. I would think when a new engine is developed,  it would be difficult to transfer over something. 

I still believe if you tried moving stuff you programmed for a complete different game engine and moved them over to another one it be really difficult. I have a friend at my work who worked on the game shadowrun, and the way he speaks of coding shit, it can be difficult. 

I know about simple 3D imaging models, I’m sure that can be transferred just fine, BUT wouldn’t you have recode it when putting it on this new engine? 

Edit: I’ve read decent things about ue4, and so far it is the best engine. Even some of EAS companies are deciding to use it over their frostbite engine. 

On 6/10/2019 at 12:18 AM, Arlong said:

I always thought game development is based on a current engine. I would think when a new engine is developed,  it would be difficult to transfer over something. 

You can build an engine alongside a game, there's no hard determining line that determines what one version engine is versus another.  It's just a string of random things being improved until eventually they're like "Yeah now this is idtech 7 not idtech 6". 

343's claim that it's a brand new engine, as every developer does in their vidocs preceding a game's release, is probably a little disingenuous.  To write an engine from scratch is years and years and years of toil which doesn't even make sense because there's always new tech being developed by other competing engines that everyone is trying to implement.  The slipspace engine is most certainly the same story as everything else - the same engine with a myriad of improvements, which is fine.  It's just really disingenuous when people say tHeY bUiLt a BrAnD nEw EnGinE.  Most likely much of the work has gone into development side improvements of tools that we as Halo players will never see.  But there are lots of things done on the development side that are simply there to aid the dev's in the creation process.

The only time what you're saying is true is if you're using a public engine like Unity or Unreal, and want to upgrade halfway through the project to a new version or something.  Then you're just asking for things to break lol.

Just know that Unreal Engine is the goat, and nothing else even comes close. There is literally a tool for everything already built for you.

• Like (+1) 3

@Hard Way never liked MC did you. I’ve enjoyed it but it gets so boring as there’s almost nothing to do after you’ve built something neat. No interesting mobs(wither and dragon is an arrow fest and ridiculous grind). Nothing really interesting. This actually looks really good, expanding on what Minecraft did right but improving big time.

9 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You can build an engine alongside a game, there's no hard determining line that determines what one version engine is versus another.  It's just a string of random things being improved until eventually they're like "Yeah now this is idtech 7 not idtech 6". 

343's claim that it's a brand new engine, as every developer does in their vidocs preceding a game's release, is bogus.  To write an engine from scratch is years and years and years of toil which doesn't even make sense because there's always new tech being developed by other competing engines that everyone is trying to implement.  The slipspace engine is most certainly the same story as everything else - the same engine with a myriad of improvements, which is fine.  It's just really disingenuous when people say tHeY bUiLt a BrAnD nEw EnGinE.  Most likely much of the work has gone into development side improvements of tools that we as Halo players will never see.  But there are lots of things done on the development side that are simply there to aid the dev's in the creation process.

The only time what you're saying is true is if you're using a public engine like Unity or Unreal, and want to upgrade halfway through the project to a new version or something.  Then you're just asking for things to break lol.

Just know that Unreal Engine is the goat, and nothing else even comes close. There is literally a tool for everything already built for you.

So it’s all just hype and all? Well that’s dumb. Still looking at the cgi trailer this year it looks different than what we saw in h5. How many years would you expect it’d take for a new engine? 

Edit: You a fan of Minecraft at all somewhat? Did you check out hytale?

It doesn’t seem like this is just a modified blam engine, from how they’re advertising. They wanted this thing during the h4 development, that’s 7 years if we Count the RD and afterwards.  That sounds like decent time no? 

Funny my friend at work basically said the same thing about halos slip space engine actually. 

1 hour ago, Gobias said:

That’s because you gain different abilities throughout the game. It will be a Metroidvania.

I'd be 100% ok with that if it meant none of it is in standard multiplayer. However i would accept thruster pack as a pickup but it changes you spartan's aesthetic so it's super obvious a player has it (like how Overshield is super obvious)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

So it’s all just hype and all? Well that’s dumb. Still looking at the cgi trailer this year it looks different than what we saw in h5. How many years would you expect it’d take for a new engine? 

Yes it's just hype.  The 1st-person segments of the trailer likely look better because, well, they did make misc improvements and it's also running on Scarlet-esque hardware.  Higher res, as well as most certainly being prerendered.

And again, "new engine".  What does that mean lol there's no defining line. Do I think Infinite will look better graphically? Yeah probably.  Do I think the 5 year dev-cycle and half a billion dollar budget will be justified by this "new" engine? Absolutely not.  All hype. Don't expect anything ground breaking from it.

To actually make your own engine in house and compete with public engines like Unreal takes a LOT of engineering work.  Because you're working with a small private team in the studio to make graphical improvements that keep pace with the rest of the entire industry.  It's why so few proprietary engines actually look good.  id tech looks phenomenal but id also has wizards for programmers.  Dice has frostbite but it takes an armada of engineers and billions of dollars to maintain it. Meanwhile look at every other dev team using proprietary tools.  Halo? Call of Duty? You can see where their engines in the past 5-years or so if starting to have trouble keeping up.  When someone in Unreal Engine makes good looking water, everyone using Unreal Engine gets good looking water.  Then everyone using proprietary engine has to sit there and try to replicate it with their own tools.  Very time consuming and expensive.  Even the 3 Call of Duty studios have 3 different versions of Radiant, which is why their games don't look good anymore.  They can't even consolidate their own tools.

Also if you talk to programmers who worked on these beautiful engines like Frostbite or Crytech they'll all say that they're made of glass.  Meaning, it looks pretty but don't touch anything because it'll break. Very buggy and difficult to work with, as most proprietary engines are.  It's like nothing is every truly flushed out, it's just sorta there.  Seriously making a curved stair case in Call of Duty took like 6 hours because I had to manually create every step out of a block, and then place the invisible clipping to have players walk up it.  In Unreal you just have a tool for curved staircases, takes like 10 seconds.  Imagine that, times a million in every possible circumstance.  It just works.

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

Oh it is? 

https://skyboxlabs.com/jobs/

We had a guy from skybox lab talk about indie game dev, so I talked to the guy a bit about Halo and he's working on the UI for slip space tools. he told me when he saw infinite, he squealed like a little girl and he's a fan of the old school Halo .

90% sure he's talking about campaign only tho.