CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

18 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

I’m not saying that. I don’t know what type of pipeline they’re on and I don’t pretend to know. But what I do know is that those designers are absolutely working on something. We’re talking about having a job 101 here. Do you honestly believe that over half the studio has been dicking around doing nothing for years?

I’ve never been a fan of secrecy in halo development. Halos developers have been doing this for years to create artificial hype. They purposely starve the fan base of any information robbing them the chance to give actual viable feedback.

By the time we finally see the game, every major design decision will be set in stone with no time for reversal. Had we seen the potential horrific garbage that’ll be in the game in this years presentation, maybe that’ll be enough time to convince 343 to change course. But now it looks like we get what we get, E3 2020 is no where near enough time. 

You’re not wrong about the secrecy. Halos the only game in history that’s like this. As for gameplay changes, umm h5 beta was literally 10 months before the official release date, and they gave us Spartan charge with massive magnetism(in the beta it had none). 

Why the fuck are they going to continue with the 'Chief is sad about Cortana' thing? The trailer reveals its set in 2561, 3 fucking years after Cortana became public enemy number one. You cannot tell me Chief, the guy who risked his life countless times to save humanity, is still sad over AI Lady who is trying to enslave the entire fucking galaxy by force, for the past 3 years in universe?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

You’re not wrong about the secrecy. Halos the only game in history that’s like this. As for gameplay changes, umm h5 beta was literally 10 months before the official release date, and they gave us Spartan charge with massive magnetism(in the beta it had none). 

Maybe I’m under the impression that infinite is a hero shooter, it could very well be at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ripharambe said:

When have they listened before? We wouldn't have changed anything. 343 isn't doing this because they're worried about scaring off people who dislike advanced mobility. Most of those people have left or like me will continue to play and try their best to ignore it (usually failing). I don't know why they didn't show it but I do know they haven't had 5 years to develop the next game. You can't just hit a big red button and transfer everything from the old engine to the new one.

That’s basically what I said, as far as I’m concerned 2018 was when the engine was finished, and development of that stuff had officially started. If I’m right that means they’re in alpha stage at this moment, which isn’t a good idea to show off at e3 I’ll add. The gameplay they currently possess isn’t suitable. Technically the only GP feature they even showed is what it looks like from chiefs visor(inside). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Stoppabl3 said:

Maybe I’m under the impression that infinite is a hero shooter, it could very well be at this point. 

There’s never been any signs of this occurring. One thing to note is 343 is a trend follower. They made h5 the way it was because Adanced movement was the rage, but now it’s hit a major decline. I’m positive sprint will be in halo still, but besides that I think they might remove abilities and shit, although I’d be fine if they stayed as map pick ups only.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

That’s basically what I said, as far as I’m concerned 2018 was when the engine was finished, and development of that stuff had officially started. If I’m right that means they’re in alpha stage at this moment, which isn’t a good idea to show off at e3 I’ll add. The gameplay they currently possess isn’t suitable. Technically the only GP feature they even showed is what it looks like from chiefs visor(inside). 

So they will have only two years of development? On a game with a budget rumored to be around 500 million? You guys are nuts..

Just now, Stoppabl3 said:

So they will have only two years of development? On a game with a budget rumored to be around 500 million? You guys are nuts..

You do know games typically take 2-2 1/2 years to make right? That’s not insane by any means. Every cod game goes through two years of development, the reason anew cod comes out every year is because activision has 3 game studios that work on their own individual cod, so it’s doable. Halo would be the same way if it had more than just 343. 

Just now, Arlong said:

You do know games typically take 2-2 1/2 years to make right? That’s not insane by any means. 

And I can’t recall any of those 2 year dev games being any good. Most quality AAA games dev time is around 3 years minimum. 

The entire reason h6 is taking so long is because of the ENGINE. A new game engine, aka not a modification of the original CE engine! This means you can’t do what most games do and transfer assets from previous games over, you literally gotta start from scratch. 

2 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

And I can’t recall any of those 2 year dev games being any good. Most quality AAA games dev time is around 3 years minimum. 

GOOD is completely subjective, all those games are programmed greatly with minimum game breaking bugs. You don’t like them, doesn’t mean they’re bad. The game is usually finished around the 2 1/2 margin, everything else is simply polishing, bug fixes etc. but the game is finished. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not really enjoying this back and forth but just to clarify I never once said that they could just transfer assets. I just said that those designers had to be working on something, that’s all I said.

8 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Not really enjoying this back and forth but just to clarify I never once said that they could just transfer assets. I just said that those designers had to be working on something, that’s all I said.

I’m pointing out simply what can’t be done. I’m not sure what those other designers would be doing(maybe helping out with pc MCC’s until they get the thumbs up the engine is finished which I’m sure was finished some time around last year. They can’t work on an engine if it’s not done yet.  

343 confirmed public flighting, this means most likely in early 2020 we will get to play/test the game. Flighting is a lot better than beta testing. We get aloha builds of the game normally played by the teams at 343 only, which doesn’t help at all really. 

7 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I’m pointing out simply what can’t be done. I’m not sure what those other designers would be doing(maybe helping out with pc MCC’s until they get the thumbs up the engine is finished which I’m sure was finished some time around last year. They can’t work on an engine if it’s not done yet.  

Wait I just realized something..Do we even know that the engine is complete? They’re extremely light on the details.

Edit: Just googled slip space engine and they’re not done at all. They’re still hiring people to help build it. RIP. 

1 minute ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Wait I just realized something..Do we even know that the engine is complete? They’re extremely light on the details.

No but I’m pretty sure it is, considering looking at the trailer, was in game footage. Go look at cgi in h4&5 and then look at hi. They look completely different. 

17 minutes ago, Arlong said:

The entire reason h6 is taking so long is because of the ENGINE. A new game engine, aka not a modification of the original CE engine! This means you can’t do what most games do and transfer assets from previous games over, you literally gotta start from scratch. 

Geez the amount of presumptive nonsense in here...

You have no idea what types of tools they have built to transfer assets.  Especially with the myriad of open source or free, fast-prototyping tech out there now.  You also have no idea when they started working on the engine, it could have been well before Halo 5 launched. And its doubtful that they started working on the engine truly from scratch. Abandoning the dynamic resolution and new physics work done for H5 would be silly, as would not taking advantage of open source tools and the Havok engine components for physics, materials and AI that Microsoft already owns for example.  Plus the development of the engine would never be done in a total vacuum. Sometimes you don't know what you need until you start using it, then requests come in for enhancements.  This short feedback loop between developer and customer has become critical in modern agile software development.  In this case the "customers" would be the level designers, testers etc that sit next to the engineers creating the engine.  You can't get a shorter feedback loop than that allowing for both faster iteration on the engine and faster mastery by the users.  These 2 things would most certainly be getting done at the same time.

Edit: The engine will NEVER be "Done". Its going to be an iterative process back and forth forever.  The fact that they have advertised the engine as clearly as they have probably means that 343 now has a dedicated (and probably significantly larger) engineering team working on the engine than they have for any previous games.  The guys engineering it won't be switching back and forth from working on the engine, to working on the game back and forth for every release.  If within the next 2 years we don't see other first party Microsoft games from different studios also using this engine, i would be shocked.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

13 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Geez the amount of presumptive nonsense in here...

You have no idea what types of tools they have built to transfer assets.  Especially with the myriad of open source or free, fast-prototyping tech out there now.  You also have no idea when they started working on the engine, it could have been well before Halo 5 launched. And its doubtful that they started working on the engine truly from scratch. Abandoning the dynamic resolution and new physics work done for H5 would be silly, as would not taking advantage of open source tools and the Havok engine components for physics, materials and AI that Microsoft already owns for example.  Plus the development of the engine would never be done in a total vacuum. Sometimes you don't know what you need until you start using it, then requests come in for enhancements.  This short feedback loop between developer and customer has become critical in modern agile software development.  In this case the "customers" would be the level designers, testers etc that sit next to the engineers creating the engine.  You can't get a shorter feedback loop than that allowing for both faster iteration on the engine and faster mastery by the users.  These 2 things would most certainly be getting done at the same time.

Edit: The engine will NEVER be "Done". Its going to be an iterative process back and forth forever.  The fact that they have advertised the engine as clearly as they have probably means that 343 now has a dedicated (and probably significantly larger) engineering team working on the engine than they have for any previous games.  The guys engineering it won't be switching back and forth from working on the engine, to working on the game back and forth for every release.  If within the next 2 years we don't see other first party Microsoft games from different studios also using this engine, i would be shocked.

You’re RIGHT it is speculation, but we know that 343 never built this engine when h5 released. This engine as far as I’m concerned started after h5. They were meant to create this engine for h5 but never got to it. They’ve also advertised the slip space engine as something completely new so I don’t know how those programs MS uses would work with this. 

Done is by a state where making a game on here, it doesn’t break. Engines are always getting modified, until they hit a point where it’s basically too annoying(BLAM). This engine I’ll at best speculate took years, this might be as good if not better than unreal engine 4.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

You’re RIGHT it is speculation, but we know that 343 never built this engine when h5 released. This engine as far as I’m concerned started after h5. They were meant to create this engine for h5 but never got to it. They’ve also advertised the slip space engine as something completely new so I don’t know how those programs MS uses would work with this. 

Because that's how software development works.  The only time you would TRULY start something 100% from scratch without using any kind of pre-existing open source software, libraries, recent past work or even proprietary code you have access to (ie Havok) would be if you were doing something nobody had done before.  Creating a game engine is not that.  My assumption (and you know what they say about those haha) is that this game engine was being worked on well before H5 was released.  Just looking at the H5 launch, being so devoid of content and their inability to take care of some basic technical things that Halo should never have an issue with (aiming, split screen chief among them) I think it would be basically impossible for the studio not to realize that that had a problem that they couldn't patch their way past anymore fairly early in their iteration.  Speculatively of course.

1 hour ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Why the fuck are they going to continue with the 'Chief is sad about Cortana' thing? The trailer reveals its set in 2561, 3 fucking years after Cortana became public enemy number one. You cannot tell me Chief, the guy who risked his life countless times to save humanity, is still sad over AI Lady who is trying to enslave the entire fucking galaxy by force, for the past 3 years in universe?

I mean, if my friend became space-Hitler, I'd be pretty bummed out too after trying and failing to stop them, and in turn, having a galaxy subjected to their reign. I'd imagine they'd continue it because, alas, Chief is human after all, lol.

24 minutes ago, Arlong said:

This engine I’ll at best speculate took years, this might be as good if not better than unreal engine 4.

Would not say that, given UE's versatility.  Who knows, maybe this engine could be versatile as dicks, too. But I have a feeling it'll really only see a use with Halo titles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I didn't see a thruster pack on Chief's armour.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1