CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

I wonder how my 2017 prediction will pan out.

I’m sure this won’t occur, but giving players the option to spawn with their weapon of choice sounds cool in campaign. 

12 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I’m sure this won’t occur, but giving players the option to spawn with their weapon of choice sounds cool in campaign. 

Nah. Let the level designers...design. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Nah. Let the level designers...design. 

Fuck that. It’s campaign I should be able to spawn with a power up that gives my spartan laser eyes bitch! CHANGE MY MIND! 

Twitter leaks say we'll have PC gameplay of Infinite at e3

• Like (+1) 1

Spv3 has pre-set campaign loadouts, and the selections are generally pretty thoughtful of the specific mission they're in.  Any negative impact they might have definitely isn't large enough to notice anyways, if there actually are any.

Fully customizable loadouts though...i mean I don't see the harm in it as it's your own solo experience and you should be able to fuck with it however you want, but I just don't see the personal appeal in wanting to make the campaign piss easy by spawning yourself with a SAW and Fuel Rod on a map like Pillar of Autumn.  I usually try to make campaign as reasonably difficult as I can (usually just means leaving it on Legendary) else I get bored.

If the game ever did get fully customizable loadouts though they should be hidden behind a skull or something, else newbs risk ruining their own experience.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Forgot about the whole hero shooter stuff now that OW is no longer as relevant. It would be a massive 343 move to reveal hero shooter elements in Infinite years after the trend has died down lmao. Same goes for a Battle Royale mode.

3 hours ago, Basu said:

Forgot about the whole hero shooter stuff now that OW is no longer as relevant. It would be a massive 343 move to reveal hero shooter elements in Infinite years after the trend has died down lmao. Same goes for a Battle Royale mode.

It will have sprint though.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Reading that gave me asthma.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 2

Custom campaign settings would be sick, especially for machinimas and doing dumb challenges in co-op. Just make it unlock after you complete the story so people don’t ruin their own experience round one. If the devs actually want people to choose their loadout for a specific level/area, just have an armory room—it’s more immersive anyway. Generally people would try to find the lamest way to play though and it’s eaaier to design around a known starting loadout. One of the reasons I enjoy Halo 1’s campaign is that precision weapons are precious, you’re forced to try different strategies, and no single weapon combo will feel ideal on a level with both covies and flood.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, TheRealCanadier said:

Has sprint actually been confirmed in the game or are you guys just assuming the worst?

Better to assume the worst than to be disappointed again

• Like (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Better to assume the worst than to be disappointed again

OK so it hasn't been confirmed. Gouda gouda.I think I can safely say most people are going to be disappointed regardless though.

7 hours ago, TheRealCanadier said:

OK so it hasn't been confirmed. Gouda gouda.I think I can safely say most people are going to be disappointed regardless though.

343 has never once admitted sprint is bad for halo or even close to why halos dislikes of today. Screw you for thinking we’re wrong because we KNOW sprints in infinite. Anyone with the education level passed the 5TH grade KNOWS sprints in infinite! 

• WutFace (+0) 1

21 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Screw you for thinking we’re wrong because we KNOW sprints in infinite. Anyone with the education level passed the 5TH grade KNOWS sprints in infinite! 

He literally just said it just wasn't fully confirmed as of yet. Not that it wasn't in the game for sure. Not guilty, basically. Rather than guilty or innocent. 

I think there was some Game Developers Conference footage of someone at 343 basically admitting sprint has detrimental effects in gameplay, but they went with it bc “players expect it.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I think there was some Game Developers Conference footage of someone at 343 basically admitting sprint has detrimental effects in gameplay, but they went with it bc “players expect it.”

Yep, saw the same GDC talk, he was talking about Halo 5 iirc. You can tell sprint is broken in Halo by the simple fact that they had to add other mechanics like stopping power in Halo 4 and 'de-sprint' and 'no shield recharge whilst sprinting' in Halo 5, all so that you can move a little bit faster than you could in past games, expect not really because they stretch the maps too so you don't get across them any faster than before... It doesn't take a genius to come up with a way to make players feel faster that doesn't require you to rework massive parts of an already well established formula or add a bunch of other mechanics just to 'balance' it.

All that being said I still fully expect so see sprint in Halo Infinite at E3 tomorrow but I'm also not going to kid myself and act like I'm totally not buying the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Energy shields, sprint, bloom, and ADS all increase players’ ability to escape from a fight.  Pick which one you want, Halo.

Reading YouTube comments and shit there’s so many wanting/believing Bungies formula is back. Gosh just I hope a compromise is founded this time. Gosh like my idea is perfect. No sprint for fours and regular modes with average sized maps(guardian or pit as example) and sprint for BTB(blood gulch or Valhalla as example) . Come on this is the best way! The proper compromise because the only people who want or even need sprint are BTB kids! You can’t tell me no sprint regardless of BMS can work in BTB. It doesn’t matter if you add man cannons and Teleports. I know this is a repeat of what I said, but it needs to be repeated. This compromise would please the community big time. Universal settings aren’t needed.

Effectiveness of infantry movement in BTB is a function of map design, not a result of advanced movement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

I still think my sprint-replacement idea is what needs to happen.  Basically there is no sprint button.  Its more of a timed "feel" thing.  You start "sprinting" after a certain amount of time with your movement stick pressed all the way forward.  There is no button to activate it. It's more like your spartan is getting a second wind.  The ramp up from BMS to sprint speed is gradual and mostly indicated through on screen effects (think the wooshing particle effects around the edge of the screen when sprinting in H5) than anything else. You get to move 10-15% faster for long straight paths but never have to put your gun down.  As soon as you shoot or get shot you drop back to BMS with slight deceleration time so its not jarring. Traveling room to room or getting in a lot of gun fights on smaller maps, this would almost never activate.  Escapability isn't a problem because you can't activate it at-will. Maps don't need to be stretched for it unless the map is actually served in some legit way by being larger.  How often this would activate would probably be correlated to map size.  The primary drivers for the balancing of this would be to get it to feel noticeable, but also seamless. How long before this kicks in? How long are the tails for acceleration/deceleration? How heavy would the on screen effects be?  None of which should affect balance or map design in any meaningful way.

I highly doubt that will happen though.  I think they will feel like a bad poker player recognizing they have a losing hand, but going all-in at the end of the round because they feel committed.  Even though the correct and logical conclusion is to fold.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Sorry double post.  I'm out of practice.  But yeah... here is the GDC presentation. Really should watch the whole thing there are a lot of "wtf" moments in there, particularly when running through the pros and cons of each ability.

https://youtu.be/KcmJ4ASWDdc?t=876

edit: change to link so it would actually start at the timestamp

Second to whether or not be included descope for Halo 5, the inclusion of sprint was one of the most contentious discussions within the studio. Specifically because of the escapability problem i just mentioned. But in 2015, sprint is a stable for the modern FPS gamer. Leaving that out of Halo 5 would have been ignoring a huge proportion of the gaming demographics expectations. So the call was made to include it.

That single quote is so fucking telling.

1) Why was descope a contentious discussion... If that discussion was contentious, there is a huge problem with who is making your design decisions.

2) Maybe they are aware, but publicly they totally ignored all the other shit sprint does like stretch maps and make weapons easier.

3) It tells me they were still trying to make a game that feels similar to other games, instead of trying to make a unique halo game.

• Like (+1) 3

@Apoll0 Increasing movement speed without user input seems unintuitive to me.  What if I don’t want to “sprint”?  I have to keep releasing the stick so I don’t fulfill the time requirement on full stick deflection?  Seems annoying.  IF you are going to have multiple movement speeds, give the player full control over them.  My opinion is there should be one base movement speed and players should quickly accelerate to it, no matter what direction they are moving in or how long they have been moving in that direction.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Apoll0 Increasing movement speed without user input seems unintuitive to me.  What if I don’t want to “sprint”?  I have to keep releasing the stick so I don’t fulfill the time requirement on full stick deflection?  Seems annoying.  IF you are going to have multiple movement speeds, give the player full control over them.  My opinion is there should be one base movement speed and players should quickly accelerate to it, no matter what direction they are moving in or how long they have been moving in that direction.

I agree.  I think my proposed solution is totally unnecessary and not ideal, but if we are being forced to play the game of compromise its certainly better than full-on, "waste-a-button-on-my-controller, escapability-on-demand, put-my-gun-down-and-stretch-out-even-the-smallest-maps" style sprint.  Ideally the top base movement speed would just "feel" fast all by itself.  In the example you give though, im not sure why you would want to be "not sprinting"? to move down a long hall or open field 10% slower for no reason?

• Like (+1) 1

Reset my password and logged in for the first time in forever to say that this might be it for me. If 343 still hasn't learned...I won't buy the product. I've already moved into PC gaming in 2016 and fell in love with Counter Strike- a game whose devs stayed true to its core (for the most part). They need to toss radar, sprint, and ads or the same thing will happen that happened to H4 and H5.

I'm excited for this reveal because surely this will be classic halo at least with arena competitive right? 15 hours or so and we find out

• Simms (+1) 1

I've thought about this before and I do think a momentum based movement system is the best way to go, the problem is there's no real way to test it until we can mod MCC on PC which I'm hoping will bring in a lot of fresh new ideas for the Halo formula and which will allow us to test things empirically instead basing things off of pure speculation, there's an absolute wealth of idea's that could be tested that we have never had the means of testing properly before.

@Boyo I think your comment about how a momentum based movement system might feel 'unintuitive' overly simplifies the problem, not to mention the fact that momentum movement is already a thing in Halo (movement acceleration) although it has never been properly fleshed out I think it's the ideal solution to replacing sprint and returning to a more classic style of gameplay.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1