CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

19 minutes ago, Stoppabl3 said:

Sprint = no buy, its been 10 years with sprint halo. I just have to come to terms with it and move on. I’ll still peek around the community and post on beyond though.

The only compromise with sprint will be to allow players to shoot while sprinting. Map design will still be hot dog water but engagements won’t be nearly as clunky as they have been for 10+ years. Either way I’m going to enjoy hearing 343 defend sprint for a 3rd game in a row, while a sprintless DOOM eternal will be the talk of the industry. 

I’ll never understand 343 desire of wanting to mimic other console shooters, while in control of one of the pioneers of console shooters. 

idk about shooting and sprinting imo that makes the game worse. why would you not just sprint all the time?

None of these ideas are being looked at, but while we’re fantasizing, I was thinking about that old idea of making sprint purely aesthetic—after moving at same velocity for a few seconds, the field of view would increase by a couple degrees and small streamlines would appear at the edge of the visor. But you could do something similar with thruster pack. With increased air control, changing direction in the air could be accompanied by a dull hum of thrusters, which would sound super sick with directional sound. This would only be audible to the user to prevent it from ruining stealthy plays. If you slammed the stick from one side to the other during full speed strafing, the thrusters could pulse. Maybe this would encourage unskilled players to strafe.

Taking this further, you could introduce a new mechanic: fast falling. Holding crouch right after the peak of your jump would send you downward a little faster with a pulse of the thrusters. This could also make crouch jumping more difficult and rewarding (but also maybe tedious if the timing is too tight). If you pressed jump + crouch to short hop, you could fast fall for a new strafing tactic, “shffling.”

Obviously these ideas would never be implemented, and I would want an on/off option for the aesthetic effects in settings. But I think there are ways to make the game feel immersive and modern without adding power fantasy buttons that usually strip away power. If everyone’s super, no one will be.

• Like (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Frosty said:

idk about shooting and sprinting imo that makes the game worse. why would you not just sprint all the time?

I thought that’s what we were doing in halos 1-3. Basically players were always running and shooting but 343 is obsessed with that animation. Maybe reduce the sprint speed significantly, to as close to walking speed as possible. 

I honestly don’t know at this point. We’ve been trying to balance sprint for over a decade. Nothing works. 

Sprint works fine in Halo.  So does bloom.

...if you’re playing SWAT.

• Fire (+1) 1

Just make it look and feel like you're always sprinting, but you can always shoot. The only reason the classic Halo movement ever felt slow is because it looks slow. Up the FOV. Up the base movement speed. Throw some effects on screen while at top speed. Scale the maps so it feels like you're getting around quickly. This shit is so obvious. If you make standard movement feel fast, no one will miss sprint.

• Like (+1) 8

3 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Just make it look and feel like you're always sprinting, but you can always shoot. The only reason the classic Halo movement ever felt slow is because it looks slow. Up the FOV. Up the base movement speed. Throw some effects on screen while at top speed. Scale the maps so it feels like you're getting around quickly. This shit is so obvious. If you make standard movement feel fast, no one will miss sprint.

We've all been saying this for years yet here we are.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you could give any weapon an alternate firing mode, which weapon would it be and what would alt fire do?

If I see sprint in gameplay then I think I’m done 343 has had more then enough chances and we’ve given them two games worth of feedback as to why sprint is bad for Halo and if they don’t wanna pull there heads out of there asses why should I support them anymore?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If you could give any weapon an alternate firing mode, which weapon would it be and what would alt fire do?

Take a promethean weapon like the light rifle and let it shoot a temporary, small light platform that you could jump off of, and then the platform disappears.

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Boyo said:

This would be alt fire for the sniper rifle. Here me out. You have the option of firing a standard bullet or a hacking bullet. If you get a headshot with the hacking bullet, it embeds in the victim's brain but won't kill them fully. Now you have to hack their brain. At this point you are unable to control your character, which adds to the risk vs reward. The screen is replaced by a hacking game you have to complete. If you succeed, then you return to controlling your character, and alt fire button will kill the other player at any point in time. This allows for strategic plays where you can keep an enemy player alive and sabotage them at the perfect time, like during a flag cap. You might be wondering that it would be obvious when a player has used alt fire on you because they're standing still, but that's where the meta comes in. You could intentionally hit your opponent in the neck reason to get a bodyshot, then stand still for a few moments. They will think you've hacking them, while you're really just inside there head. It's the ultimate mind game. I also drew a picture in MS Paint of what the hacking game would look like:

Spoiler

Fooled you. It was all a ruse. This forum needs E3.

• Toxic (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

It's crazy to me that this is so hard to comprehend.  I started playing Halo with my 9 year old step son a while back.  He's probably played less than 200 games total, but when he plays MCC, he sets up the match composer to only play Halo 1 now because "the pistol is awesome", "I can see more on the screen", and "I feel like I'm moving faster than the other games". 

It was already easily noticeable, but becomes even more so when you're switching immediately from one game to another in consecutive games.  He actually asked me why you move faster in Halo 1 even though you can't sprint, lmao.

• Fire (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

I can't tell if this is an appeal to popularity or an ad hominem or exactly what your intention was behind this statement.

I never liked most equipment.  Gravity Lift was good, benefited your team and allowed for clever tricks like preventing splatters without being some "I PULL GODMODE RIGHT OUT MY ASS" nonsense unlike most of the others.  Most equipment should strive to be that, more utility use than straight up killing or invulnerability tools.  I think ripping the spawn beacon from Battlefield and putting it in BTB modes could work as well.  Promethean vision was bad but some kind of destructible sensor node that only reveals enemies within ten feet of it could work maybe.  If health ever returns, a medkit that restores it to full as well as starting your shield recharge instantly (but no actual buff to shield recharge rate or anything so can't be cheesed in-combat and only effective behind-cover).  Or an ammo crate that restocks your weapons including grenades and a smidge of power weapon ammo.

I dunno man, I can think of plenty of powerup ideas but equipment isn't something I ever really think much about.  Single use items have to be powerful enough to justify their single-use but at the same time not so powerful that they're obnoxious or gamebreaking, it's a hard line to tread.

I was more or less being a dick by pointing out “basically every shooter” 

3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

This honestly be the best thing ever, BUT what about BTB and Warzone kids. I believe the only people who’ve ever wanted sprint in halo were BTB kids but 343 is obsessed with UNIVERSAL settings, which causes a big ass problem. Would a mode with sprint(BTB, and infection be for the best) really be a bad thing? You can add shit like teleport era and grav lifts but they still don’t help enough. Avalanche would be better with sprint. We can’t make the BMS “too fast” so this be the best compromise. Let’s face it no sprint worked in 4v4 but in BTB not the greatest. We don’t need universal settings, we need settings that won’t piss people TF off! No one outside the BTB community wants or need sprint. Sprint makes more sense in BTB anyway. In h3 on narrows I never feel that there should be sprint but when I’m on avalanche or Valhalla(the bloodgulch of h3) I do. 

Reach and h4 had some of the best BTB’s and sprint was one of those reasons. In 4s sprint has always been awful but in BTB it feels right. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

You ever see someone put their phone down and after two seconds pick it right back up again for no reason?  That is who Sprint is for.

You don’t have to attack me bro 😭

• Like (+1) 1

Crazy that we are less than a week away from knowing a good deal about this game. I am not necessarily expecting multiplayer footage/details, but I do think we will have a good idea about what this game is going to be. 

Sprint/other abilities are an issue, and always will be, but I am hoping 343 allows the community to truly drive what the competitive experience for this game is. With a name like Infinite, this could be more of a "platform" for the future of Halo. As long as they don't shoehorn their own ideas into the competitive scene, the player base should be able to eventually create a version that will make most people happy. If they want a stable competitive scene you can't drastically change the rules of the game every 3 years or so. They should  refine it as much as possible and stick to it, only making tweaks to make it better/fix problems that arise as the Meta changes (I.e. Counterstrike.)

That is me being optimistic though. 343 could once again screw everything up. 

1 hour ago, NAK said:

Crazy that we are less than a week away from knowing a good deal about this game. I am not necessarily expecting multiplayer footage/details, but I do think we will have a good idea about what this game is going to be. 

Sprint/other abilities are an issue, and always will be, but I am hoping 343 allows the community to truly drive what the competitive experience for this game is. With a name like Infinite, this could be more of a "platform" for the future of Halo. As long as they don't shoehorn their own ideas into the competitive scene, the player base should be able to eventually create a version that will make most people happy. If they want a stable competitive scene you can't drastically change the rules of the game every 3 years or so. They should  refine it as much as possible and stick to it, only making tweaks to make it better/fix problems that arise as the Meta changes (I.e. Counterstrike.)

That is me being optimistic though. 343 could once again screw everything up. 

The problem is games have certain customization that makes it impossible to satisfy everyone. You’re not going to program a feature where players can make weapons have different features like (damage, spread, bloom, accuracy, etc etc) it’s stuff like this why remakes are impossible to get right in terms of maps. We can’t remake countdown and have it play similar to its reach counterpart because of different spawn systems. I look at reach and it honestly had an amazing spawn system. In h2 you can force spawn the enemy rocks every time by having one of your mates on p street or hut. Reach didn’t play around Witt that, no camp positioning. You had to be hella aware.

13 hours ago, Boyo said:

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would like to hear all of your ideas.  Even something that you might think is shit, someone else might be able to see the diamond in the rough in it.

Far from the first person to think of all these but:

Vampirism - Damaging enemies regenerates shields.  In a Ce style sandbox I would give the AR a slight bonus to amount gained per shot.

VIP - All objective points earned are increased (doubled?) while active.  Serves as a secondary objective and can allow downed teams to potentially swing back.

Dexterity - 2x reload speed. 2x weapon switch speed. 1.5x melee speed.  1.25x firing rate on all weapons (so it's a buff but you're not outright melting everything).  10% faster move speed.

Key - self explanatory.  I guess it would also work as an equipment.

Flight - Low gravity but with increased air control / air strafe so you're not just a sitting duck.  Probably only good for casual modes or maps with gap-based shortcuts on them.

Drawing blanks for anything else at the moment.

Coincidentally I had been playing around with the idea of somewhat merging the spawn automatic with the BR while keeping the Magnum as the main utility.  So possibly that?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Forerunner55 said:

I hope they remove spartan charge in this game

Even if it has sprint, I'll probably buy it/download it (with game pass) just for the campaign.

If this game has spartan charge I won't even play it.

46 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Even if it has sprint, I'll probably buy it/download it (with game pass) just for the campaign.

If this game has spartan charge I won't even play it.

I thought it was confirmed Spartan Charge was gone?

I'm looking forward to E3 yet again. All the tears spilled, salt thrown, and meltdowns had on this website always entertain me. And if Sprint is somehow removed that will be even more entertaining and also make me happy.

9 minutes ago, ripharambe said:

I'm looking forward to E3 yet again. All the tears spilled, salt thrown, and meltdowns had on this website always entertain me. And if Sprint is somehow removed that will be even more entertaining and also make me happy.

I don't think anything has really been confirmed, just lots of rumors. I could be wrong. Hell, I believe someone from 343 confirmed Infinite will be on current gen and there are still people saying it will be next gen-only.

22 hours ago, a Chunk said:

It's crazy to me that this is so hard to comprehend.  I started playing Halo with my 9 year old step son a while back.  He's probably played less than 200 games total, but when he plays MCC, he sets up the match composer to only play Halo 1 now because "the pistol is awesome", "I can see more on the screen", and "I feel like I'm moving faster than the other games". 

It was already easily noticeable, but becomes even more so when you're switching immediately from one game to another in consecutive games.  He actually asked me why you move faster in Halo 1 even though you can't sprint, lmao.

hes a good kid

• Fire (+1) 2

On 2/23/2017 at 7:58 AM, Shekkles said:

We thought that with Master Chief ageing, players will want to make their own heroes of the Halo universe. We're very excited to announce the new Spartan Heroes system. Select your class based on the way you play, then customise your spartan in a way never before seen in Halo.

"We're really excited to bring the Spartan Heroes system to Halo 6: Heroes. We've been receiving feedback for years asking for more and more customisation options, and we're proud to bring you the new Heroes system. After many internal discussions, we talked about what made a true Halo game and this is when we came up with the Spartan Heroes system. No longer will new players have to scrounge around the map for a sniper rifle. If sniping is your preferred method of playing, simply choose the Shadowblade Spartan class. Like rockets? Pick the Thunderbear Spartan Class. All classes fit seamlessly into our new MMORPG Singleplayer campaign."'

- Frankles, Game Director of Superior Creative Design Systems, 343i

I wonder how my 2017 prediction will pan out.

10 hours ago, ripharambe said:

Don’t press your luck