CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Backsmack is the key that unlocks a power play specifically because of how rare it is.  If it was anything else, killing with a certain weapon, even a melee kill with a certain weapon, would happen much more frequently.  You can’t frequently penalize players with an extended respawn unless you want them to rage quit.  But if it is a very rare and situational occurrence?  Not only am I going to penalize them with a longer respawn but I’m going to make them watch helplessly as their Spartan goes about destroying his own team.  The less something occurs, the more powerful it can be.

Regarding adding an extended “Objective Drop” to the overcharged Plasma Pistol, you could definitely do that.  My initial thought was to add it to an automatic weapon, like the Spiker.  I feel like it would be more balanced to have each shot from an automatic weapon cause the user to drop the objective so if you want him to not pick it back up, you have to keep shooting him.  An oddball carrier camping a corner waiting for the one hit kill or intercepting a flag carrier too close to the capture point to be able to kill in time seem like situations where a Fumbleayame weapon could come in handy.

@Ramirez77

10 hours ago, Boyo said:

@JordanB @Silos

Would you be opposed to a weapon that added 10 seconds onto the respawn timer of any player backsmacked by it?

That’s what the base idea is, to increase an enemy’s respawn timer to give your team a numbers advantage for a short time.  Possession is just its 15 pieces of flair.

On an unrelated side note, what do you think of a weapon whose projectiles cause an objective carrier to drop the objective?

I don't think it's worth implementing. If you make it a power weapon, am I really going to go after it for this one special effect? If you make it a normal weapon with multiple spawns, you're going to get teammates who intentionally go for back smacks vs playing smart and just shooting with the utility. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JordanB said:

I don't think it's worth implementing. If you make it a power weapon, am I really going to go after it for this one special effect? If you make it a normal weapon with multiple spawns, you're going to get teammates who intentionally go for back smacks vs playing smart and just shooting with the utility. 

Yeah if you wanted to add it to a relatively weak weapon as a way to try and make it more appealing I'd be more for it like the needler. Even then though I'd rather just the weapon be balanced to fit a niche role.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Scope button on the Plasma Rifle activates a thermal scan that temporarily highlights any recent enemy footprints.

Since the PR doesn’t have a scope, thermal scan could be its “vision enhancer”.  Do you think this is worthwhile and not overpowered?

7 hours ago, Boyo said:

The Scope button on the Plasma Rifle activates a thermal scan that temporarily highlights any recent enemy footprints.

Since the PR doesn’t have a scope, thermal scan could be its “vision enhancer”.  Do you think this is worthwhile and not overpowered?

If it functioned like the H1 version, I think that would synergize well with the weapon's role without being too OP. Maybe about 8-10sec decay on footprints?
If we're talking the bullshit PR's we've had post-H1, then my apathy is just overwhelming.

Also regarding extended respawns, I say ditch the idea of tying it to a weapon, and just make assassinations do that. It'd give you a reason to go for them sometimes. But change the way they're triggered so that you don't do them accidentally. Make the button press always execute a normal melee, even if you hold it in afterwards. Releasing the button and holding it in again during the recovery animation should trigger the assassination animation. Then just make every assassination look like it began after hitting the victim in the back of the head.

• Upvote (+1) 2

On 5/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, Hard Way said:

Maybe about 8-10sec decay on footprints?

Shorter than that even.  In ten seconds, they could be on the other side of the map and those footprints are useless.  Maybe 4-5 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I give the Halo: Infinite trailer 18 seconds after logos before we see sprint and I immediately lose interest.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I give the Halo: Infinite trailer 18 seconds after logos before we see sprint and I immediately lose interest.

Lmao already predicting the future man. Sometimes I think sprint could work, like the h5 sprint with its Nerfs could work, but thrust has to go. The number #1 reason sprint was/is hated in the first place because it created the get out of jail free card we know of today. Thered be a hell of a lot less of those with a sprint Nerfed to a point where it stops you if you sprint, but the thruster increased them if not worsened them if you ask me.

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

12 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Lmao already predicting the future man. Sometimes I think sprint could work, like the h5 sprint with its Nerfs could work, but thrust has to go. The number #1 reason sprint was/is hated in the first place because it created the get out of jail free card we know of today. Thered be a hell of a lot less of those with a sprint Nerfed to a point where it stops you if you sprint, but the thruster increased them if not worsened them if you ask me.

Yes I hate the sprintyboi escapes, but what bothers me most about sprint is what it does to map design. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What bothers me most about sprint is that they choose to dedicate a button to one function.  A dozen unique pieces of equipment could be deployed with that button but instead we got a single mechanic that keeps your weapon down for half the game.

I believe an entire class of gadgets would be more appealing to casual players and wouldn’t damage the competitive side of Halo. BALL DROPPED.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I just don't like having to choose between moving and shooting.

Gusss you don’t play  many shooters

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

What bothers me most about sprint is that they choose to dedicate a button to one function.  A dozen unique pieces of equipment could be deployed with that button but instead we got a single mechanic that keeps your weapon down for half the game.

I believe an entire class of gadgets would be more appealing to casual players and wouldn’t damage the competitive side of Halo. BALL DROPPED.

It would depend what those gadgets are then. 

9 minutes ago, Arlong said:

It would depend what those gadgets are then. 

My vote goes to flare and radar jammer.

What pieces of equipment do you think could enhance Halo’s gameplay (in addition to existing equipment, feel free to borrow ideas from other games or offer original ideas)?

52 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What pieces of equipment do you think could enhance Halo’s gameplay (in addition to existing equipment, feel free to borrow ideas from other games or offer original ideas)?

I think the mini jetpack that splitgate has be nice. 

To Shekkles point, I can't remember if I posted this here or not but this is what Sprint does to Halo. It isn't needed, at all. It makes everything, in Halo, worse.

• Like (+1) 6

On 5/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, Mythik Nick said:

How I feel after reading every Boyo post

What's funny is that every time he leaves people miss him because this place has almost 0 interesting discussion right now with no launch news and everyone's ambivalent attitudes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

You would be wrong.

I don't mind sprint in games with really quick killtimes like Siege or Battlefield. But in an arena shooter, I want to be able to move at maximum speed while shooting.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

I can't tell if this is an appeal to popularity or an ad hominem or exactly what your intention was behind this statement.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

I never liked most equipment.  Gravity Lift was good, benefited your team and allowed for clever tricks like preventing splatters without being some "I PULL GODMODE RIGHT OUT MY ASS" nonsense unlike most of the others.  Most equipment should strive to be that, more utility use than straight up killing or invulnerability tools.  I think ripping the spawn beacon from Battlefield and putting it in BTB modes could work as well.  Promethean vision was bad but some kind of destructible sensor node that only reveals enemies within ten feet of it could work maybe.  If health ever returns, a medkit that restores it to full as well as starting your shield recharge instantly (but no actual buff to shield recharge rate or anything so can't be cheesed in-combat and only effective behind-cover).  Or an ammo crate that restocks your weapons including grenades and a smidge of power weapon ammo.

I dunno man, I can think of plenty of powerup ideas but equipment isn't something I ever really think much about.  Single use items have to be powerful enough to justify their single-use but at the same time not so powerful that they're obnoxious or gamebreaking, it's a hard line to tread.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

I can think of plenty of powerup ideas but equipment isn't something I ever really think much about.  Single use items have to be powerful enough to justify their single-use but at the same time not so powerful that they're obnoxious or gamebreaking, it's a hard line to tread.

I struggle with power ups more.  Every time I think of one, I usually end thinking it’s too OP or just doesn’t fit with Halo or could be done better as an Equipment or a vehicle or just that the problem could be solved with better overall weapon balance.

My bad, even though I call things Equipment, I really more mean “Armor Ability pick ups with a long recharge timer that aren’t dropped on death”.  I forget not everyone is in my brain sometimes.

My general philosophy with Equipment is to make one or two movement enhancers for arena play, like thruster and jump boots, and the rest should mostly be dedicated to vehicular gameplay or specialized gametypes like Invasion.

Here’s some of my top picks:

Artifact (manipulate parts of the map)

Missile Pod (lock onto vehicle and fire multiple shots to kill)

Tractor Beam (pull aerial vehicle toward you)

Gravity Geyser (trip Mine that flips ground vehicles instead of destroying them)

Hardlight Shield (block a tank shot)

Hologram (runs forward but mimicks user orientation in real time, direction facing, jump, crouch)

Enhanced Radar (remove radar as a base trait and make it a pick up)

If you feel comfortable doing so, I would like to hear all of your ideas.  Even something that you might think is shit, someone else might be able to see the diamond in the rough in it.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not sure if i even want to see gameplay or not. I know that if I see spartans flying around im not going to buy the game and thats gonna be shitty.

• Like (+1) 4

I just wanna see gameplay to cringe at the new abities they're gonna shove in there, then I can proceed to cry and move on from this franchise.

• Simms (+1) 2

Sprint = no buy, its been 10 years with sprint halo. I just have to come to terms with it and move on. I’ll still peek around the community and post on beyond though.

The only compromise with sprint will be to allow players to shoot while sprinting. Map design will still be hot dog water but engagements won’t be nearly as clunky as they have been for 10+ years. Either way I’m going to enjoy hearing 343 defend sprint for a 3rd game in a row, while a sprintless DOOM eternal will be the talk of the industry. 

I’ll never understand 343 desire of wanting to mimic other console shooters, while in control of one of the pioneers of console shooters. 

• Like (+1) 2