CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 5/20/2019 at 8:03 PM, Boyo said:

The Assault Rifle doesn’t really need to be any more complicated than “the limited range, hitscan, automatic weapon”.

The four autos should be:

Assault Rifle - limited range, hitscan

Plasma Rifle - unlimited range, projectile 

Sentinel Beam - unlimited range, hitscan 

Now we’re missing a “limited range, projectile” automatic weapon.  I would achieve this through the Spiker, giving it vertical recoil and projectile drop to limit its effective range.

There is absolutely no reason to have four different autos.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:11 PM, Mythik Nick said:

Why? Pretty sure the only reason descope was originally added in the first place was to balance the sniper. All it does is make longer range fights unnecessarily jarring. Often times the first person to ping the other out of scope wins by default simply because of the massive aim assist advantage. It's always been my least favorite aspect of utility weapon duels. Does anyone actually enjoy jank-ass long range descope battles?

You are aware that Halo 4 exists in the MCC, right? No descope, no map control, no camo. It's the perfect game for you and your buddies. Go play it.

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

12 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

There is absolutely no reason to have four different autos.

The Plasma Rifle and Sentinel Beam are both unique enough to be included, no?

What would your ideal sandbox look like?

45 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Plasma Rifle and Sentinel Beam are both unique enough to be included, no?

What would your ideal sandbox look like?

The sentinel beam shouldn't be included at all. It's a nothing weapon.

16 weapons max, preferably less than that.

Why the hate for the Sentinel Beam? I'd give it the 4x zoom of the focus rifle and a headshot bonus, could be a totally unique power weapon that rewards time on target and overheat management. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Why the hate for the Sentinel Beam? I'd give it the 4x zoom of the focus rifle and a headshot bonus, could be a totally unique power weapon that rewards time on target and overheat management. 

With all else being equal, a hitscan weapon is easier to use than a projectile weapon.  For this reason, I would give the headshot bonus to the ZB Plasma Rifle rather than the Sentinel Beam.  The Plasma Rifle fires individual bolts, rather than a continuous beam, so measuring and communicating increased headshot damage is more intuitive on a Plasma Rifle.

The Plasma Rifle would be the anti infantry automatic weapon and the Sentinel Beam would be the anti vehicle automatic weapon.  Not that a Sentinel Beam couldn’t be used in arena play, it absolutely could, just that its secondary effects are tailored towards combatting vehicles while the Plasma Rifle’s are tailored towards combatting infantry (Sentinel Beam gradually cooks vehicle occupants without damaging vehicle.  Plasma Rifle can perform a short range attack by venting the weapon’s hot gas at an enemy.)

• Upvote (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

With all else being equal, a hitscan weapon is easier to use than a projectile weapon.  For this reason, I would give the headshot bonus to the ZB Plasma Rifle rather than the Sentinel Beam.  The Plasma Rifle fires individual bolts, rather than a continuous beam, so measuring and communicating increased headshot damage is more intuitive on a Plasma Rifle.

The Plasma Rifle would be the anti infantry automatic weapon and the Sentinel Beam would be the anti vehicle automatic weapon.  Not that a Sentinel Beam couldn’t be used in arena play, it absolutely could, just that its secondary effects are tailored towards combatting vehicles while the Plasma Rifle’s are tailored towards combatting infantry (Sentinel Beam gradually cooks vehicle occupants without damaging vehicle.  Plasma Rifle can perform a short range attack by venting the weapon’s hot gas at an enemy.)

Boyo I’ve always liked that idea about the sentinel beam against vehicles. I can’t remember how you felt about the vehicle’s damage resistance being lowered against other damage sources while it’s being heated. I know it’s been brought up before. 

37 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Boyo I’ve always liked that idea about the sentinel beam against vehicles. I can’t remember how you felt about the vehicle’s damage resistance being lowered against other damage sources while it’s being heated. I know it’s been brought up before. 

The Tidal Rifle’s (Shock Rifle) Alt Fire already modifies damage resistance.  The reason I wouldn’t want that for the Sentinel Beam is because I want to present the user with two options.  Option one is to destroy the vehicle via a Spartan Laser like shot.  Option two is to not destroy the vehicle via a continuous beam that damages vehicle occupants without damaging the vehicle itself.  Slagging the vehicle would be at odds with the goal of not destroying the vehicle.

• Like (+1) 1

How to fix the Plasma Pistol

Step 1:  Reload on RB

With the addition of functions like Alternate Fire, the reload button is no longer just the reload button.  Because of its increased utility, the reload button is mapped to RB.

Step 2:  Remove Charge up 

Charge up is only necessary because two functions are mapped to one button.  Repurposing the unused reload button into an Alt Fire button allows the EMP Bolt (overcharged shot) to be fired without charging.

Step 3:  Rebalance 

The EMP Bolt’s homing ability is removed but projectile speed is increased.  EMP Bolt can be fired at any time but consumes 50% of the battery and immediately overheats the weapon.  Primary fire is now automatic and homing but low damage per shot.

Step 4:  Ramifications 

Needler is redundant with automatic, homing, primary fire on the Plasma Pistol so the weapon is removed.  The Plasma Launcher takes the place of the charge up, homing, high damage weapon.  The Plasma Pistol now has viable primary fire and a non cheesy alternate fire.

Arena Vehicle:  The Monitor 

Arena maps are typically too small for vehicles to be viable.  A floating Monitor, like Guilty Spark, could maneuver down a tight hallway though.  Entering this vehicle teleports the player inside of the Monitor, removing his Spartan player model from the map.

The Monitor moves much like a Spartan would.  Move forward and back, strafe left and right, jump and crouch, except it does each one better than a Spartan.  It moves a little faster, jumps a little higher, and has a greater difference between standing height and crouching height (hover high/hover low).

The standing hover height is high enough off the ground that it gives the Monitor an effective resistance against explosions but the vehicle does take increased damage when it is dealt to its “face”.

The Monitor’s smaller size allows it to access routes that Spartans cannot .  A simple hole in the wall, or ventilation duct, could provide the Monitor with unique flanking opportunities.

Maps can also feature “Energy Beams”.  These act as rails that the Monitor can ride.  One map could use them as an elevator built into the wall (Monitor enters a hole in the wall, rides a vertical energy beam up one level, and pops out into the room above).  An open air map could feature an elevated, circular energy beam that allows the Monitor to fire down on enemies below, like an attack helicopter.

As someone who identifies as an attack helicopter, I find that idea deeply offensive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Does anyone have a link to the Halo 4 pro match where both sides had 0 kills and just ran away from each other the entire time?

48 minutes ago, ripharambe said:

Does anyone have a link to the Halo 4 pro match where both sides had 0 kills and just ran away from each other the entire time?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gobias said:

As someone who identifies as an attack helicopter, I find that idea deeply offensive.

You and @TheIcePrincess both.

Picture a large map with a centrally located teleporter exit.  Each team’s base has a built in teleporter entrance, both leading to that same exit.  Here’s the thing though, players can pick up and move the Exit Node.  Placing the Exit Node closer to the enemy base allows your team to traverse the map faster but could also spit you out into coverless gunfire.

Would this “secondary objective” add a new dynamic element to gameplay that was not there previous?  Would it be fun?

25 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Picture a large map with a centrally located teleporter exit.  Each team’s base has a built in teleporter entrance, both leading to that same exit.  Here’s the thing though, players can pick up and move the Exit Node.  Placing the Exit Node closer to the enemy base allows your team to traverse the map faster but could also spit you out into coverless gunfire.

Would this “secondary objective” add a new dynamic element to gameplay that was not there previous?  Would it be fun?

I don't see this as being very useful outside of capture modes where you constantly spawn at and have to defend your base versus all over the map (so CTF/Assault).

And in those modes having someone carrying the flag is already spreading yourself thin to begin with.   And time spent transporting it is time spent not capturing the enemy flag or defending your own flag.  You could claim this is the risk required for the reward of potentially faster captures, but I don't know about that.  Both because it's still a huge risk  (then there's the added risk of not being able to see the other side...) and it's only a one-way teleport that shaves off a few seconds at best.

It would be great for BTB though.  Both because you have more players so losing one is less significant, and because the larger distance between bases means the time saved is actually meaningful.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sometimes I wish CTF was more like how cod does it where you still hold your primary gun out. 

3 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

I don't see this as being very useful outside of capture modes where you constantly spawn at and have to defend your base versus all over the map (so CTF/Assault).

And in those modes having someone carrying the flag is already spreading yourself thin to begin with.   And time spent transporting it is time spent not capturing the enemy flag or defending your own flag.  You could claim this is the risk required for the reward of potentially faster captures, but I don't know about that.  Both because it's still a huge risk  (then there's the added risk of not being able to see the other side...) and it's only a one-way teleport that shaves off a few seconds at best.

It would be great for BTB though.  Both because you have more players so losing one is less significant, and because the larger distance between bases means the time saved is actually meaningful.  

I see this working better as an interactive map element than a piece of equipment. There could be a tram housing a teleporter exit that slides back and forth between the bases. A switch at the center point would move the tram to the opposite base. If one still played Halo 5, one could test out this idea.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

Sometimes I wish CTF was more like how cod does it where you still hold your primary gun out. 

I think forcing carriers to not use their weapons can lead to some interesting situations a lot, but I'd be down to test a variant that lets you maintain full capabilities while carrying the flag. 

18 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I think forcing carriers to not use their weapons can lead to some interesting situations a lot, but I'd be down to test a variant that lets you maintain full capabilities while carrying the flag. 

I think they technically have/had that as an option in one of the games(reach I think) . I can see the downside no doubt but still. You know what was a fun social obj mode, headhunter. It came in reach and what you needed to do was collect skulls and then deliver them to a waypoint. You got skulls by killing and staying alive. The hill would shift as well. It was pretty unique if you ask me. Was actually pretty good for ffa as well. 

25 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I think they technically have/had that as an option in one of the games(reach I think) . I can see the downside no doubt but still. You know what was a fun social obj mode, headhunter. It came in reach and what you needed to do was collect skulls and then deliver them to a waypoint. You got skulls by killing and staying alive. The hill would shift as well. It was pretty unique if you ask me. Was actually pretty good for ffa as well. 

Wasn't that like speed flag where everyone had ridiculous movement speed or did they actually do regular as well?

Just now, Nokt said:

Wasn't that like speed flag where everyone had ridiculous movement speed or did they actually do regular as well?

It was speed flag but you should take into account you could take the settings and reduce the movement speed.

Speedflag was dope. And CTF would play fine with it, so long as you increase the score limit to accommodate that change.  And Headhunter was fun af in Multiteam and FFA.