CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

5 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Fov doesn't matter if you can't get your face close enough to your weapon to line up the sights. It's about the size of the helmet.

180223-the-walking-dead.jpg

Look at the size of that hat and he can still get his gun up to his eye.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

I just hope Infinite has LT scoping. 

I hate how in h5 scoping is smoother and faster with LT than R3

Scoping should be a toggle, on or off, very quick transition, whereas ADS is more of entering a state.  A click is more appropriate than a trigger pull for scoping.

The real question is, what should the scope button do on weapons without scopes?

Lmao scoping in h5 isn't even slower than other games. And scoping with a stick is so much worse for overall accuracy. The only reason stick scoping is fine in past games is because that's all there was. LT is just straight up better as a whole. 

Weapons with multiple zoom levels, like the Sniper Rifle, require a button click to cycle through the zoom levels.  How do you increase scope magnification when you already have the scope button held down?

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

Weapons with multiple zoom levels, like the Sniper Rifle, require a button click to cycle through the zoom levels.  How do you increase scope magnification when you already have the scope button held down?

Map it to another button like A? Helljumper does this, lol. Not a hard solution.

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

It's not faster in any way other than rapid pressing the button, since you eliminate the double stick press middle man, which is fundamentally useless. It's just better for your overall accuracy than hard pressing the stick in as you aim.

Mapping second level zoom to a button besides zoom removes the player’s ability to perform the function of the other button while scoped in.

You want to hold down Left Trigger to stay zoomed in?  This causes problem with button layouts and is less intuitive for descope battles since you have to release and press the trigger again in order to rescope.

You could press the Left Trigger to toggle scope on, just a simple button remap, but the speed at which the action of zooming in should occur at makes more sense to map to a quick click as opposed to a long physical trigger pull.

5 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Lmao scoping in h5 isn't even slower than other games. And scoping with a stick is so much worse for overall accuracy. The only reason stick scoping is fine in past games is because that's all there was. LT is just straight up better as a whole. 

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

I believe someone already counted the frames for the animations and found out the speed on animations is exactly the same. The only thing Halo 5's ADS lacks is the ability to pre-scope mid weapon swap.

One could also make an argument that depressing and pressing LT is less intuitive for descoping battles compared to simply pressing RS, but the Halo 5 ADS animation suits LT more and makes RS feel like you're visually being yank off to the right. The appearance does matter, but ultimately is one of those rare preference things.

Never heard of an accuracy complaint though, that's new to me. Like to hear about that one.

Pressing in the stick you are literally aiming with causes accuracy issues. I don't think I need to go too in depth on that. The issues with pressing the stick while trying to make micro adjustments are pretty easy to see. Along with just simply maybe pressing too hard or moving your finger and missing. Another point is getting into those weird situations where you accidentally press the stick twice or something. And get in a weird descope battle where you keep messing up your zoom. Also having to YY out of scope and cause unnecessary animation delay. Rather than just letting go. 

But the main thing is accuracy. There is a reason pretty much every other game uses LT to ads. It just doesn't get in the way of proper aiming. Yea maybe double zooming a snipe might be a little less intuitive but that's a small price to pay. Pretty much every scheme has one issue or another especially when you need like 30 buttons. But in 99% of situations having LT scope is simply better.  

Other games use ADS with Flinch instead of Descope so they don’t run into the same problems as you would in Halo with scope and descope.

You say clicking the stick isn’t good for aiming but your solution to level 2 zoom is to take your thumb off the stick entirely.

8 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Pressing in the stick you are literally aiming with causes accuracy issues. I don't think I need to go too in depth on that. The issues with pressing the stick while trying to make micro adjustments are pretty easy to see. Along with just simply maybe pressing too hard or moving your finger and missing. Another point is getting into those weird situations where you accidentally press the stick twice or something. And get in a weird descope battle where you keep messing up your zoom. Also having to YY out of scope and cause unnecessary animation delay. Rather than just letting go. 

But the main thing is accuracy. There is a reason pretty much every other game uses LT to ads. It just doesn't get in the way of proper aiming. Yea maybe double zooming a snipe might be a little less intuitive but that's a small price to pay. Pretty much every scheme has one issue or another especially when you need like 30 buttons. But in 99% of situations having LT scope is simply better.  

I get the line of thinking, but I feel the animation frame buffer and single button press make any potential loss of accuracy negligible, Halo 5's shit aiming notwithstanding. Nothing remappable buttons couldn't fix for the future, so we all could use our preferred method without overhauling our entire control schemes.

For the sniper rifle, I think the simplest solution is... we don't really need an additional zoom level? I've always felt the extra zoom was unnecessary barring some extremes. Get rid of it so we can descope/scope in more effectively without it getting in the way.

I seriously don’t care what statistics someone made. The FACT is I feel different when scoping in, I feel more accurate in h5 than I do with stick zoom. The ADS animation feels a thousand times better than R3 zoom. Perhaps this is a simple placebo, but it’s still there. When I play halos 1-4 I don’t feel a desire or need for a left trigger zoom. In fact, I’d go as far to say  that left trigger zoom doesn’t feel as good on classic zoom. Classic zooming in H5 feels so natural and good with stick zoom. You HONESTLY can’t find a game out there that doesn’t have ADS zoom(snipers don’t count). 

Who even zooms in with the sniper anymore lol

• Simms (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Gobias said:

Who even zooms in with the sniper anymore lol

IKR 

7 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

That's definitely subjective. I always preferred the previous scoping in Halo 1-4 because you never have anything covering your screen at any time. Halo 5 I have to have Barad-Dur on the bottom half of my screen just to shoot.

As for which button to press I've always been used to toggle zoom (in Halo) and toggling on a trigger feels like butts to me. Much rather the ol' right stick clickyboi.

2 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

That's definitely subjective. I always preferred the previous scoping in Halo 1-4 because you never have anything covering your screen at any time. Halo 5 I have to have Barad-Dur on the bottom half of my screen just to shoot.

As for which button to press I've always been used to toggle zoom (in Halo) and toggling on a trigger feels like butts to me. Much rather the ol' right stick clickyboi.

I was never arguing in favor of the visual effect in h5 just the speed at which you scope in. And on stick aiming yea that's the thing. I'm sure most peoole are more used to it simply because that's how it's always been. But even if you personally find LT aiming "weird" the advantages are still there. I don't think it's any more weird than switching to bumper jumper when h3 came out. After years of default muscle memory. Obviously I would not force LT aiming on everyone and have layouts for each type. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 2 Layout:

RT - Fire

RB - Reload

LT - Melee 

LB - Switch weapons

1 hour ago, My Namez BEAST said:

I was never arguing in favor of the visual effect in h5 just the speed at which you scope in. And on stick aiming yea that's the thing. I'm sure most peoole are more used to it simply because that's how it's always been. But even if you personally find LT aiming "weird" the advantages are still there. I don't think it's any more weird than switching to bumper jumper when h3 came out. After years of default muscle memory. Obviously I would not force LT aiming on everyone and have layouts for each type. 

Most of my friends play LT zoom because pretty much every game on earth does it now. I just can't wrap my head around having toggle zoom on LT in Halo. It breaks my poor little brain :(

Button scoping would be superior to stick scoping because trying to scope in while significantly deflecting the stick is highly difficult, as well as the fact that we shouldn't have to put that kind of distracting pressure on our aiming. It has definitely "worked" in the past, but if there's an opportunity to change it, it should be done. Replace the R3 button functionality with something that's typically done outside of battle so that it won't conflict with aiming. 

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Button scoping would be superior to stick scoping because trying to scope in while significantly deflecting the stick is highly difficult, as well as the fact that we shouldn't have to put that kind of distracting pressure on our aiming. It has definitely "worked" in the past, but if there's an opportunity to change it, it should be done. Replace the R3 button functionality with something that's typically done outside of battle so that it won't conflict with aiming. 

Tbh that can’t be achieved on the current controllers. What we’d need is back buttons that serve as their own individual button. 

Let’s talk about FORCING 343 to make sure halo infinite’s fOV by DEFAULT is 90+. This 78 FOV that h5 has is complete BS. It’s unplayable for me, this along with the crappy aiming! Even cod has a higher FOV or at least it feels that way. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Let’s talk about FORCING 343 to make sure halo infinite’s fOV by DEFAULT is 90+. This 78 FOV that h5 has is complete BS. It’s unplayable for me, this along with the crappy aiming! Even cod has a higher FOV! 

I wish I cared as much about anything as you do FOV in Halo.

2 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Playing pc shooters at a FOV of 105-110 on average makes you HATE anything less. 

41 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Playing pc shooters at a FOV of 105-110 on average makes you HATE anything less. 

90 minimum. I can't handle fish-eye and 90 is usually perfect for me. 90-110 is nice.

43 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

I wish FOV cared as much about you as Halo does in anything.