CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

That sounds aweful.  You’d shoot them once with this equipment and they can’t move or aim for an extended period?  The Plasma Rifle isn’t so obnoxious because each shot only stuns momentarily so you have to keep hitting shots to keep getting Stun benefits.  Stun Equipment seems worse in every way.

One time use, compared to a weapon that all needed is a couple shots then switch instantly to utility equals death. 

20 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Because it’s not a show of skill to kill an enemy who is unable to aim at you.

Try dominating a game with a PR in H1. Lemme know how that works out for you.

@Arlong, in H1 the pistol’s draw time is pretty long. It’s not viable to finish your own PR kills with a pistol. As soon as you stop hitting him he can turn and shoot. By the time you can fire your pistol  you’re at risk of losing the fight.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

Why is flinch bad but plasma stun good?

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

Why is flinch bad but plasma stun good?

Flinch applies to every weapon, and is random, and messes with descope which I believe to be a better balancing tool for ranged fights.

Hit stun applied to 2 weapons that without it would be almost worthless. Its effects are not random. You are still dangerous while getting stunned, so you have to be picky about when you use it. Missed shots will let the victim turn and return fire/melee. It gave the weapon a unique role and purpose. It was actually *fun* to use. Imagine that. 

I know that last point goes out the window for most people because they’ve never lanned H1 a day in their life and never will, but they still wanna talk about it authoritatively like they have any clue wtf they’re talking about.

• Like (+1) 4

It's weird, when I played Vanquish there's certain weapons that will stun you after being hit until the effect wears off and it's really frustrating. But in Halo 1 I don't think I've ever been frustrated with it. Boyo and Hard Way both brought up that you're only stunned while actually being hit with the gun, I definitely think that's part of it. The range of the gun I think helps as well. Lastly maybe because kill times are so quick the gun only really works as a flanking weapon? I'm not entirely sure. In Vanquish, some enemies take a lot of bullets to take down, so being literally frozen without even being able to shoot is frustrating, where in H1 if I'm behind them and they have PR, they don't really have a chance to turn around and stun me.

• Like (+1) 1

Is there no way to make the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol viable weapons without removing the target’s agency in the process?  Remember how you said that things that let players see you through walls makes you want to stop playing?  That’s how I feel about things that remove my ability to move or aim freely.  Plasma Stun is the mechanical equivalent of pulling your little brother’s controller out of the Xbox

@Hard Way.

There's zero chance plasma freeze returns. One, it wouldn't be in campaign and 343 would fall back on their claim that campaign and multiplayer shouldn't have distinct mechanics. Two, it would never get past focus testing. The only reason I like it in H1 is you can usually pistol them. If they go for body shots, you have enough time to 3sk. If they go for headshots, you can duck out of the plasma stun.

If you've never played Quake, the knockback from the plasma gun isn't enough to feel jarring. It's barely enough to break gravity. I'm also of the opinion that the existence of the Prometheans in this series should depend on whether they bring anything interesting to gameplay.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Is there no way to make the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol viable weapons without removing the target’s agency in the process?  Remember how you said that things that let players see you through walls makes you want to stop playing?  That’s how I feel about things that remove my ability to move or aim freely.  Plasma Stun is the mechanical equivalent of pulling your little brother’s controller out of the Xbox

@Hard Way.

When you crouch out of a stun lock for long enough time to turn and shoot/melee and you come out on top, it’s really satisfying. And if the guy is using the weapon so perfectly that you have no chance, then good on him. That’s harder and more rare than its being made out to be.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Gonna be honest mate.  I hate plasma stun.  I don't think your control should ever be taken away from you. I hate it in overwatch with mei and I hate it in Halo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

@Arlong, in H1 the pistol’s draw time is pretty long. It’s not viable to finish your own PR kills with a pistol. As soon as you stop hitting him he can turn and shoot. By the time you can fire your pistol  you’re at risk of losing the fight.

Yes but that’s not the case in other halos. 

I didn't play a lot of og CE multiplayer. In MCC, at least at my level, I've yet to see anyone use the PR to actually be effective with it. Any time I've tried, I just get murdered. I feel like in a game where the ttk isn't as fast as it is in CE, I don't think it would be a good feature. It could almost become the new noob combo: spray a PR, they can't move, pull out pistol (which may not have nearly the same draw time as it did in CE) and you don't stand a chance to counter.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Flinch applies to every weapon, and is random, and messes with descope which I believe to be a better balancing tool for ranged fights.

Hit stun applied to 2 weapons that without it would be almost worthless. Its effects are not random. You are still dangerous while getting stunned, so you have to be picky about when you use it. Missed shots will let the victim turn and return fire/melee. It gave the weapon a unique role and purpose. It was actually *fun* to use. Imagine that. 

I know that last point goes out the window for most people because they’ve never lanned H1 a day in their life and never will, but they still wanna talk about it authoritatively like they have any clue wtf they’re talking about.

When you’re 20 you don’t want to go To a CE lan with a bunch of old dudes. I was 3 when CE came out man. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

5 minutes ago, Arlong said:

When you’re 20 you don’t want to go To a CE lan with a bunch of old dudes. I was 3 when CE came out man. 

There's a rang of ages at LANs. I was 20 when I went to Beach LAN and there were a few people under 30 , roughly 10-15 if I had to guess, not that playing a game with a predominantly 25+ population should be a reason to not play a game. 

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, JordanB said:

I didn't play a lot of og CE multiplayer. In MCC, at least at my level, I've yet to see anyone use the PR to actually be effective with it. Any time I've tried, I just get murdered.

The effect was weakened in Halo PC (which is what they ported for MCC).

2 hours ago, OG Nick said:

There's a rang of ages at LANs. I was 20 when I went to Beach LAN and there were a few people under 30 , roughly 10-15 if I had to guess, not that playing a game with a predominantly 25+ population should be a reason to not play a game. 

Ok so where’s this beach lan played at? I’ve watched those streams of CE lans and most of y’all look like you’re freaking 30.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

I had an argument about a week ago on /r/Games with someone who, trying to hype up MCC for PC, argued that there would be a broad competitive future for CE when it comes out, fueled by the so called "explosion" of casual interest. 

Next time I'll just point him to this post as a rebuttal. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I had an argument about a week ago on /r/Games with someone who, trying to hype up MCC for PC, argued that there would be a broad competitive future for CE when it comes out, fueled by the so called "explosion" of casual interest. 

stop arguing onlnie old man

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

There’s this one bald dude who looks like he probably has two kids. 

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I miss how optimistic you were when MCC was announced.

But man let them hype it up and be happy, lol Jesus.

5 hours ago, Arlong said:

Fuck, I feel old.  I mean I still remember Nintendo 64 being realised. 

13 minutes ago, Gold said:

I had a N64 first console and first game was SSB.

47 minutes ago, Arlong said:

There’s this one bald dude who looks like he probably has two kids. 

Lmao I know who you’re talking about. No kids though.

And yeah man, Halo is an old franchise now. The fact that the game is good enough that 18 years after it’s release, people will take days off work and get on an airplane to play it with other good players should clue you in that it’s worth your time.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I had a N64 first console and first game was SSB.

Nice mine was Super Nintendo with Mario all stars. 

39 minutes ago, Gold said:

Sucks that a N64 mini/classic will most likely never be released due to Microsoft owning the rights to Rare games like Goldeneye.

26 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Sucks that a N64 mini/classic will most likely never be released due to Microsoft owning the rights to Rare games like Goldeneye.

They could still release one, but I'm not sure they will. It'll be harder to emulate N64, a lot of those games didn't age as well as the Nes and Snes ones did. 

Some popular games like (Pokémon Stadium (no transfer pak) or Mario Party/Smash Bros (most fun with 4 players) may lack features for what made those games so great, as it's likely they wouldn't ship it with all 4 controllers which might make people upset. 

But yeah Microsoft owning Rare doesn't help either unless their relationship with Nintendo continues to build and take off. Lots of Nintendo fans are hoping for Rare Replay on Switch and Banjo for Smash so we'll see.