CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

19 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Campaign really benefits from an Armor Ability/Equipment class of items.  Giving players new and different abilities as they progress through the story teaches them new ways to solve problems, gives each level a unique feel, and just keeps things interesting.

I’d like on on-rails, Starfox 64 style level in Halo.

Stop.

21 minutes ago, Gobias said:

I'm really disappointed with how you've changed ever since hanging out with @TheIcePrincess. She's had a clear negative impact on you and I don't think you would be posting such toxicity otherwise. Bring back 2015 BEAST.

Holy shit this is post of the year LMAO 

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta stay away from bullies like @TheIcePrincess. They'll steal your lunch money and make fun of you for liking projectile.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Tolkien's works absolutely rank as some of the best fiction. This is not a new position.

I meant to convey Harry Potter shouldn't be considered one of the greatest stories. It's not original or special in any way. I love the books and the movies. I've read them and watched them many times. I can acknowledge they should never be compared to the LOTR books or movies. Both outclass HP by a pretty big margin.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I’ve been thinking about a “Scout Sniper” weapon.  Something that can fight like a precision rifle at close and medium ranges but also reach out at long ranges with the scope.  With a few tweaks, the Light Rifle could fit this role.

The Light Rifle has a 36 round magazine, is equipped with a variable 3x/6x scope, and is headshot capable.

While unscoped, it fires in three round bursts; killing in 4 bursts.

On zoom level one, it fires semi automatically; consuming 3 rounds per shot and killing in 3 shots.

On zoom level two, it fires semi automatically; consuming 12 rounds per shot killing in 1 headshot.

The maximum number of kills from a full clip, going from unscoped to fully scoped are 3,4,3.

What do you think about scoping changing the traits of a weapon?

• Downvote (-1) 1

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I’ve been thinking about a “Scout Sniper” weapon.  Something that can fight like a precision rifle at close and medium ranges but also reach out at long ranges with the scope.  With a few tweaks, the Light Rifle could fit this role.

The Light Rifle has a 36 round magazine, is equipped with a variable 3x/6x scope, and is headshot capable.

On zoom level one, it fires semi automatically; consuming 3 rounds per shot and killing in 3 shots.

On zoom level two, it fires semi automatically; consuming 12 rounds per shot killing in 1 headshot.

The maximum number of kills from a full clip, going from unscoped to fully scoped are 3,4,3.

Despite the conclusion I come to for multiplayer, this thing sounds really fun for campaign.

For multiplayer specifically. I'd be nervous about something having virtually no counter. If you get knocked out of scope it sounds like you have a great weapon to immediately fight back. I assume due to the one shot kill nature you're imagining this as a power weapon? Do you think this would be the one power weapon on the map if so?

I'm trying to think of how it would play out on different maps. Like on Pit I guess it would replace the sniper,  a flank on the sniper player wouldn't be nearly as effective so maybe just one clip for the gun, he can get a couple kills but it won't be useful for very long.

I don't know. How are you imagining it?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

This sounds damn interesting and fun to use but I'd be a bitch to balance in a sandbox alongside the utility and a sniper rifle. A+ for creativity though.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, Boyo said:

I think a two fire mode is fine, three might be too much and get confusing to players to be honest. What about instead of a different zoom level dictating dmg there is an option between firing a semi-auto shot when zoomed and charging that shot up a bit to make it the 1sk capable shot you describe? Could be a quick tap v hold of the trigger.

Plasma weapons already have slight splash damage, so it wouldn't be a stretch to add increased knockback to allow plasma climbing as has been said. It would also make the plasma weapons feel more powerful without just increasing damage and aim assist. The plasma rifle could allow for longer climbs, and maybe the overcharged plasma pistol would have a lot more knockback at the expense of stripping your shields.

059C884BA5C1D2E106D30FE4CBD9250363405BB3

I like the idea of adding stuff that enables more displays of skill instead of adding for the sake of it.

• Like (+1) 2

My gripe with adding movement abilities to weapons is that map designers can’t add certain weapons to the map if they don’t want players moving in a certain way.

56 minutes ago, Boyo said:

My gripe with adding movement abilities to weapons is that map designers can’t add certain weapons to the map if they don’t want players moving in a certain way.

So just don't put it on that map, no big deal. But plasma climbing damages you just like nade jumping so it's not something you always want to do like smart-link jumping in H5. Halo's movement is pretty boring compared to a lot of shooters, and I think attaching movement tech to weapons is the best way to increase the movement skill gap.

On 5/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, Knighty Knight said:

I meant to convey Harry Potter shouldn't be considered one of the greatest stories. It's not original or special in any way. I love the books and the movies. I've read them and watched them many times. I can acknowledge they should never be compared to the LOTR books or movies. Both outclass HP by a pretty big margin.

Lol not special? You’re freaking crazy.

Honestly the biggest flaw about h5s aim is you can’t do circle motions when someone thrusts. The mechanics of h5 is ridiculous, how any DEV at 343 thought this was good is a fool. 

2 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Here we go, reinventing wheels again.

Is there another way to make a Halo game?

7 hours ago, Gobias said:

Plasma weapons already have slight splash damage, so it wouldn't be a stretch to add increased knockback to allow plasma climbing as has been said. It would also make the plasma weapons feel more powerful without just increasing damage and aim assist. The plasma rifle could allow for longer climbs, and maybe the overcharged plasma pistol would have a lot more knockback at the expense of stripping your shields.

059C884BA5C1D2E106D30FE4CBD9250363405BB3

I like the idea of adding stuff that enables more displays of skill instead of adding for the sake of it.

Due to the CE version of plasma weapons slowing you down, I think we should stick with that because of the consistency even if most people don't remember the hit stun.

However we have promethean weapons that don't have a hit effect. Do you feel strongly about plasma weapons being "knock back" weapons, or could promethean weapons take that role and plasma weapons get a "hit stun" effect?

6 hours ago, Boyo said:

If 343 has several variations of a weapon similar to H5 where we not only had UNSC, covenant, and promethean version of each weapon, but had like six different versions of the DMR, or sniper, or whatever. I personally don't see anything wrong with saying "This version of this weapon has this added property". Maybe make the default version really plain, and the modded versions have the extra effects?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Silos said:

Due to the CE version of plasma weapons slowing you down, I think we should stick with that because of the consistency even if most people don't remember the hit stun.

Plasma Stun shouldn’t be included because getting shot shouldn’t affect your ability to move or aim.

19 minutes ago, Silos said:

However we have promethean weapons that don't have a hit effect. Do you feel strongly about plasma weapons being "knock back" weapons, or could promethean weapons take that role and plasma weapons get a "hit stun" effect?

If you’re looking for a category of weapons to put knockback on, go Brute.  They have the Gravity Hammer already.  It would fit with the gravity theme

21 minutes ago, Silos said:

If 343 has several variations of a weapon similar to H5 where we not only had UNSC, covenant, and promethean version of each weapon, but had like six different versions of the DMR, or sniper, or whatever. I personally don't see anything wrong with saying "This version of this weapon has this added property". Maybe make the default version really plain, and the modded versions have the extra effects?

This is the epitome of bad weapon design for Halo.  Each weapon should not only be finely tuned in simple aspects like lethality but also in the interplay between other sandbox items, base player traits, and map design.  Designing tons of variants seems like hedging to me and not like a solid sandbox.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

1. Plasma Stun shouldn’t be included because getting shot shouldn’t affect your ability to move or aim.

2. If you’re looking for a category of weapons to put knockback on, go Brute.  They have the Gravity Hammer already.  It would fit with the gravity theme

3. This is the epitome of bad weapon design for Halo.  Each weapon should not only be finely tuned in simple aspects like lethality but also in the interplay between other sandbox items, base player traits, and map design.  Designing tons of variants seems like hedging to me and not like a solid sandbox.

1. Isn't knock back just as frustrating though? You didn't actually specifically say if you like knock back or not, just that you're hesitant about adding movement related mechanics to weapons. I feel like if I can't turn left fast because I'm getting shot, it would be just as frustrating being launched left or right and having to compensate my aim more. In which case do we need to remove explosions launching you in the air as well since it effects your ability to move?

2. I forgot about brute weapons to be honest, you're right that it fits better with brute than promethean.

3. Allow me to change my previous statement. It's not that I want several variations, but if 343 is going to make them anyway I don't see the harm in making some of them absolutely crazy. I definitely don't want all of them in play at once. But I think there would be cool custom game potential if nothing else if every weapon had crazy variants.

@Silos

Knockback is ok in small doses.  I would have it on one weapon and one grenade type.  The weapon would be like a Railgun that can also flip over vehicles and the grenade type would be like a four round Bruteshot.

• Like (+1) 1

What's wrong with hit stun? Just don't make it obnoxiously powerful (like Mei in OW, that shit is so stupid) make the projectiles move slow-ish and make the PR overheat quickly. 

5 hours ago, Basu said:

What's wrong with hit stun? Just don't make it obnoxiously powerful (like Mei in OW, that shit is so stupid) make the projectiles move slow-ish and make the PR overheat quickly. 

Because it’s not a show of skill to kill an enemy who is unable to aim at you.

I think a form of equipment that does hit stun is better than a weapon that does it, that way it’s a one time use.

Just now, Arlong said:

I think a form of equipment that does hit stun is better than a weapon that does it, that way it’s a one time use.

That sounds aweful.  You’d shoot them once with this equipment and they can’t move or aim for an extended period?  The Plasma Rifle isn’t so obnoxious because each shot only stuns momentarily so you have to keep hitting shots to keep getting Stun benefits.  Stun Equipment seems worse in every way.