CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Fair enough, it’s ok to value your opinion more than others.

Not a fan of HP are ya? 

I've read the Harry Potter books many times but putting them anywhere in the same league as Tolkien is blasphemy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

I've read the Harry Potter books many times but putting them anywhere in the same league as Tolkien is blasphemy.

Ok so yes. Actually looking deep into the lore of both series I can still say HP is better. Still Lotr is definitely on par. Just my opinion. 

To say you prefer HP over LOTR is one thing..

But one of the best stories ever written? Come on. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Arlong said:

Kat was shot in the head by a hunter elite. And it’s more than “your team dying”. That’s over simplifying it. Harry Potter is one of the best stories written ever but you easily could simplify it “boy kills dark lord”. It’s how we get to those moments is where it holds meaning. I swear you’d  be a horrible writer with your mindset.

Nah, you could simplify it to "your team dies" for everyone bar Jorge, lol. It's about that simple.

5 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

How is it not one of them? 

6 hours ago, arglactable said:

lol. No. My point is that popularity has absolutely no useful correlation to quality.

The Lord of the Rings is the seminal work of 20th century fantasy. It is a meticulously crafted modern (Catholic) mythology that has influenced countless works in multiple mediums. It made a compelling argument for genre fiction as legitimate literature instead of disposable entertainment.

Harry Potter is a series of children's fantasy books that transitioned into young adult/teen fantasy part way through. It has been and continues to be a great gateway for young readers (especially the earlier books). It introduced them to a variety of mythology, values, and coming of age themes. For some reason, adults talk about it like it is comparable to more substantial, complex books that were not written for kids.

I disagree with the popularity comment. Things become popular for a reason not just by mistake. It’s clear you people are at an age where anything that feels remotely for kids is substantially inferior. Like the HP series is something all readers of all ages can enjoy and understand once you look into the complexities and understand things. Remind me of this guy Matt at my work tbh. I asked him how’d he feel if the kid from iron man 3 became the new iron man and his only reason for disliking the idea was because he was too young or some bs.

2 hours ago, Arlong said:

How is it not one of them? 

I disagree with the popularity comment. Things become popular for a reason not just by mistake. It’s clear you people are at an age where anything that feels remotely for kids is substantially inferior. Like the HP series is something all readers of all ages can enjoy and understand once you look into the complexities and understand things. Remind me of this guy Matt at my work tbh. I asked him how’d he feel if the kid from iron man 3 became the new iron man and his only reason for disliking the idea was because he was too young or some bs.

Harry Potter is like a decade old, Tolkien's writing's are pushing 100. Another hundred years from now Harry Potter will become all but irrelevant, the MIddle Earth universe will still be the magnum opus of all fictional universes.

9 hours ago, Arlong said:

Ok so yes. Actually looking deep into the lore of both series I can still say HP is better. Still Lotr is definitely on par. Just my opinion. 

There is more lore on a Gandalf's diaper in the Silmarilion than there is in all established Harry Potter books movies sources combined. And Tolkien did all of it with no precedent.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't want an open world game, but I'd love a game that somehow encourages exploration. I'm a fan of old shooters, so I'm definitely biased. I remember hearing Frank O' Connor talk about making CEA and talked about wanting to hide rocket launchers behind waterfalls or something on the second level, I love stuff like that. Or even having different routes through the level, things like immediately going the other direction on Silent Cartographer, or being able to skip fights by maneuvering through the space and getting out the other side (Truth and Reconciliation comes to mind when you're outside the ship, but I'm sure there's many examples).

In Halo 5 I remember one time during a level I found we could scale the side of this bridge up multiple levels, I got to the top and was greeted with a locked door. I worked my way backwards killing every enemy, walk back up and the door unlocks revealing more enemies. I wish the door just unlocked when I approached the first time. Especially with the nerdy movement of Halo 5, I feel like things like that could have been really cool.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Harry Potter is like a decade old, Tolkien's writing's are pushing 100. Another hundred years from now Harry Potter will become all but irrelevant, the MIddle Earth universe will still be the magnum opus of all fictional universes.

There is more lore on a Gandalf's diaper in the Silmarilion than there is in all established Harry Potter books movies sources combined. And Tolkien did all of it with no precedent.

I’m not denying that, now I’ll admit I’m being biased. I’ve quite enjoyed myself with the HP books. LOTR is great, and the silmarillion but even so. I feel like more people these days are interested in HP than Tolkien’s work I’m afraid. If there’s one thing LOTR has got though is games. Shadow of Mordor/war are some of thee best Lotr games ever.  Also the twin towers and return of the king game, LOTR conquest(fuck you EA for removing servers) . Is it really that hard to understand why someone would like HP more than LOTR? 

19 hours ago, Arlong said:

Kat was shot in the head by a hunter elite. And it’s more than “your team dying”. That’s over simplifying it. Harry Potter is one of the best stories written ever but you easily could simplify it “boy kills dark lord”. It’s how we get to those moments is where it holds meaning. I swear you’d  be a horrible writer with your mindset.

In my opinion that wasn't done well. Her death here did not give any significant meaning. I know how she died, because it was so bad that it's the one I remember the most. With Jorge you felt the impact, it made you feel like his death was worthwhile. Carter taking out the Scarab so you can continue on. Kat's did not do that. 

Part of your argument for Reach's story being good was "all the Spartans dying" with no other context or meaning to it. I wouldn't say Reach had a good story because "all my Spartans died" and I also wouldn't say Harry Potter is a good story because "kid kills bad guy". If the writing to that death isn't good, then the deaths' mean nothing. And I'm not arguing every one of Noble team's deaths were bad, just Kat's in particular.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

On 5/6/2019 at 12:50 AM, My Namez BEAST said:

H4 campaign GOAT

There are some wicked set pieces (Mammoth!) and some cool ideas but it didn't feel, look or sound like Halo. Also Promethean's are both ugly and boring to oppose. Shooting elites in previous Halo's is fantastic because their shields glows, then grows, then finally pops. The elites roar and get mad when it's down. All these let the player know what's happening.

Prometheans just sponge bullets until they Thanos snap away. They're also ugly af. Crawlers in particular are stupid ugly and boring.

Halo 5 tried to fix with the the painfully obvious "soldiers" that are just bipedal enemies to sponge AR rounds. They also don't react until their "shield" pops. Makes guns feel useless. The "knights" take damage in Halo 5 with popping armour and bits falling off but your gun still feels useless half the time when you just have sparks pinging on them. 

Bllleehhhhh I'm not salty about the promethean design at all. Nor am I salty about the cumbersome brute-elite hybrids 343 replaced the elites with in 4/5. Don't even get me started...

• Like (+1) 7

55 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

There are some wicked set pieces (Mammoth!) and some cool ideas but it didn't feel, look or sound like Halo. Also Promethean's are both ugly and boring to oppose. Shooting elites in previous Halo's is fantastic because their shields glows, then grows, then finally pops. The elites roar and get mad when it's down. All these let the player know what's happening.

Prometheans just sponge bullets until they Thanos snap away. They're also ugly af. Crawlers in particular are stupid ugly and boring.

Halo5  tried to fix with the the painfully obvious "soldiers" that are just bipedal enemies to sponge AR rounds. They also don't react until their "shield" pops. Makes guns feel useless. The "knights" take damage in Halo 5 with popping armour and bits falling off but you gun still feels useless half the time when you just have sparks pinging on them. 

Bllleehhhhh I'm not salty about the promethean design at all. Nor am I salty about the cumbersome brute-elite hybrids 343 replaced the elites with in 4/5. Don't even get me started...

This was the kind of Prometheans I wanted, think it's Halo 4 concept art, still disappointed they went with the Bionicle design.

DWwbAVmXkAALHPQ.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, JordanB said:

In my opinion that wasn't done well. Her death here did not give any significant meaning. I know how she died, because it was so bad that it's the one I remember the most. With Jorge you felt the impact, it made you feel like his death was worthwhile. Carter taking out the Scarab so you can continue on. Kat's did not do that. 

Part of your argument for Reach's story being good was "all the Spartans dying" with no other context or meaning to it. I wouldn't say Reach had a good story because "all my Spartans died" and I also wouldn't say Harry Potter is a good story because "kid kills bad guy". If the writing to that death isn't good, then the deaths' mean nothing. And I'm not arguing every one of Noble team's deaths were bad, just Kat's in particular.

The way HP lead up to it is true meaningful. It felt so impactful when Harris god father had died. This was his one chance of having a family and it was taken in front of him. I cry every time I watch the movie. His reaction felt so real. Watching someone you love die before your eyes and mourn them near immediately, then hunt down their killer in a maddening rage. 

On 5/6/2019 at 3:24 AM, Knighty Knight said:

Tolkien's works absolutely rank as some of the best fiction. This is not a new position.

Harry Potter vs Tolkien is a nice change from Hitscan vs projectile.

• Like (+1) 6

Mancannons and teleporters have one fixed end point.  The user always ends up in the same spot.  What do you think about a turret that, when fired, teleports the operator to the reticle’s location as if he fired himself as a projectile?

• Downvote (-1) 1

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Harry Potter vs Tolkien is a nice change from Hitscan vs projectile.

I’ll respect your opinion. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Mancannons and teleporters have one fixed end point.  The user always ends up in the same spot.  What do you think about a turret that, when fired, teleports the operator to the reticle’s location as if he fired himself as a projectile?

I would prefer the way Quake does launch pads (man cannons), in that how you step into it dictates where you land. The user has way more control over it, and I thought it was great.

The thing with the turret ideas is that they would likely require pretty elaborate bases, and we just typically don't see bases of that size/complexity in Halo, mostly due to player count. Something like Containment might handle that idea ok, but getting to the idea at it's core, can you imagine walking up to rockets on Containment and having an enemy literally just appear behind you? I'm not a fan of the idea.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gosh I need reach. Just got done playing h5 only to remember how horrible aiming feels in that game. Idk how we had perfect aiming in its beta compared to the final product.

• Upvote (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

they would likely require pretty elaborate bases

Especially in BTB, I think every map should “showcase” a small number of sandbox items.  I believe that in order to design the best maps for Halo, they have to be designed around the sandbox.  Like Arcanum and the key, geometry is designed with the sandbox in mind and the sandbox compliments that geometry.

56 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

can you imagine walking up to rockets on Containment and having an enemy literally just appear behind you?

The turret could have a charge time before firing that causes a teleporter exit visual effect to appear at the reticle’s location.  This could convey to the operator where he is going to land and warn any proximate enemies that someone is teleporting in.

Honestly though, I would rather leave it as an instant fire weapon and limit situations like you described through map design and weapon placement.  The map would have to be designed with this sandbox item in mind but if one sandbox item can make one map a banger then it’s worth it in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

I’m going to e3 this year. If 343 shows halo infinite with sprint im throwing a stink bomb on stage. The arrest + fine will be worth it! 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Killmachine said:

That sounds epic bro!!!!

Ftfy

On 5/6/2019 at 11:57 AM, Silos said:

I don't want an open world game, but I'd love a game that somehow encourages exploration. I'm a fan of old shooters, so I'm definitely biased. I remember hearing Frank O' Connor talk about making CEA and talked about wanting to hide rocket launchers behind waterfalls or something on the second level, I love stuff like that. Or even having different routes through the level, things like immediately going the other direction on Silent Cartographer, or being able to skip fights by maneuvering through the space and getting out the other side (Truth and Reconciliation comes to mind when you're outside the ship, but I'm sure there's many examples).

In Halo 5 I remember one time during a level I found we could scale the side of this bridge up multiple levels, I got to the top and was greeted with a locked door. I worked my way backwards killing every enemy, walk back up and the door unlocks revealing more enemies. I wish the door just unlocked when I approached the first time. Especially with the nerdy movement of Halo 5, I feel like things like that could have been really cool.

Yes please. This idea of an open world Halo sounds like a nightmare. Halo is a very simple game and there is mechanically not enough going on to support an open world format without totally rehauling everything into some kind of Far Cry experience with a Halo skin. What you are suggesting fits into Halo's style of gameplay far, far better. A larger level with drastically different paths and setpieces depending on your route, more varied mission objectives, and secrets beyond just terminals would be so cool.

Having missions with a ton of ways to complete them and different things to see actually makes sense with Halo's DNA, not fucking RPG elements. (Really?)

• Like (+1) 3

Campaign really benefits from an Armor Ability/Equipment class of items.  Giving players new and different abilities as they progress through the story teaches them new ways to solve problems, gives each level a unique feel, and just keeps things interesting.

I’d like on on-rails, Starfox 64 style level in Halo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2