CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Fuck that. I don't want to play Republic Commando, I want to play Halo. That's why I bought a Halo game.*

*(a Halo game with 343's logo on the cover, because I'm an idiot)

• Like (+1) 8

The Light Rifle would be the most badass weapon if it had a sniper scope and was a one headshot kill while scoped in.  Fight up close and far away.

• WutFace (+0) 1

7 hours ago, Boyo said:

The Light Rifle would be the most badass weapon if it had a sniper scope and was a one headshot kill while scoped in.  Fight up close and far away.

Yeah it’s called the binary rifle. The LRS current power of 4sk unscoped, and 3sk Scoped(headshot) is perfect.

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Both Titanfall 2 and DOOM had linear campaigns and both of them were critically acclaimed, I'd consider them the best FPS campaigns in almost a decade. 

What Infinite needs is a solid compelling storyline, fun gameplay and missions (aka no sprint and the other movement gimmicks) and better art style than the last two shitshows.The squad system in H5 can also get fucked IMO. 

As good as those are, linear campaigns are the worse. They leave no room for replay ability. Speed running is for those who like to speed run, once you’ve played all difficulties there’s nothing left to do. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

On 4/28/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ramirez77 said:

What's the design goal you're trying to achieve?  A mobile base, or just a large transport vehicle in general?

1-sided objective games that take place on a Scarab could be pretty dank.  One team trying to board it or disable it with grav lifts and vehicles, the other team operating it and trying to keep it from being destroyed.

There's so much room for Halo to do crazy innovations with sandbox content and gamemode content, but all they care about is apathetically reinventing the core gameplay from entry to entry.

Spot on.

343i need to stop trying to cater for the market and start catering towards Halo fans. If I see chief sprint in Infinite I'll immediately lose interest.

@Vyrst I know what I said isn’t a popular opinion, I just find rpg campaigns more appealing. Ask yourself? Once you’ve completed the campaign on all the difficulties what’s left to do? I guess in halos case you can play with skulls where it makes you one hit kill, or enemies ridiculously op. I’ll give destiny props for its campaign or in its case pve mode. There’s missions, side missions etc etc, which leave room for replay ability. A linear campaign in a game like halo, doom, cod eventually becomes stale. Heck’s even playing on higher difficulty isn’t fun or in my opinion it’s not. Halo did what every game does on higher difficulty is they made enemies bullet sponges. It shouldn’t take an entire clip of a BR to kill a fucking jackel. 

32 minutes ago, Arlong said:

@Vyrst I know what I said isn’t a popular opinion, I just find rpg campaigns more appealing. Ask yourself? Once you’ve completed the campaign on all the difficulties what’s left to do? *1 I guess in halos case you can play with skulls where it makes you one hit kill, or enemies ridiculously op. I’ll give destiny props for its campaign or in its case pve mode. There’s missions, side missions etc etc, which leave room for replay ability. A linear campaign in a game like halo, doom, cod eventually becomes stale. Heck’s even playing on higher difficulty isn’t fun or in my opinion it’s not. Halo did what every game does on higher difficulty is they made enemies bullet sponges. It shouldn’t take an entire clip of a BR to kill a fucking jackel.*2

*1 Play the multiplayer

*2 Just shoot them in the fucking head then. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

*1 Play the multiplayer

*2 Just shoot them in the fucking head then. 

1. This is obvious, BUT what if you’re a campaign type of gamer what then? What do you do after you’re done. I’m just saying there’s people who only like to play story or pve(I personally hate campaign in shooters it’s so boring unless coop) what then?

2. Lmao I am 😑. And even if I’m not it still shouldn’t. 

Campaign mission structure should try the Syphon Filter: Omega Strain approach. Missions are self contained (non open world). Each mission has several objectives, most of which are failable. Missions are non linear. You can tackle the objectives in any order you want, and figuring out the optimal order is part of the fun. You could even have different insertion points within the same mission. Let co op players start from different insertion points. Make “par times” and “par scores” a big fucking deal (leaderboards and unlocks). Make optional objectives from one mission have massive ramifications in a later mission (based on the most recent time you played the mission).

Oh, and you get one fucking life.

They could always try a psuedo open world ODST approach again. Just make several different segments of the map roughly the size of, say, The Silent Cartographer, and provide linear missions and side missions within each area.

7 hours ago, Arlong said:

As good as those are, linear campaigns are the worse. They leave no room for replay ability. Speed running is for those who like to speed run, once you’ve played all difficulties there’s nothing left to do. 

What do non-linear/RPG campaigns add that increases their replayability?

IMO a well designed linear campaign has a lot of replayability value, just maybe not for the externally motivated..

To this day, I have never played an open world/RPG game more than once but I regualry replay good linear cmapaigns/certain missions

• Like (+1) 1

Guys, this idea might be a little off the wall, but what about these ideas for single player:

Instead of Halo 4-izing the campaign (reinventing the wheel for no reason), stick with the format and mission structure that has actually worked thus far, BUT... spend more than 5 minutes throwing the maps and encounters together. Design areas and battles where the most sound strategy isn't standing back and pinging everyone with the BR/carbine/DMR from a mile away. Bring the action to the player. Pressure them and force them to react and make decisions quickly instead of spawning 35 dumb, damage sponge AIs at twelve-o-clock and calling it a day. Maybe spawn an enemy or two behind the player, if you think the dopey little snowflakes that comprise the "major market" can handle that without getting uber triggered and crying about that not being fair. Maybe look into ways to make PvE fights challenging without taking the easy way out and making everything they do a OHKO on legendary.

Wild shit, I know, but I think it can work!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Fuck that. I don't want to play Republic Commando, I want to play Halo. That's why I bought a Halo game.*

*(a Halo game with 343's logo on the cover, because I'm an idiot)

Republic Commando was basically Halo 5 but good. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Republic Commando was basically Halo 5 but good. 

I really enjoyed how the climax to that game was actual game play and not pressing a button or holding a stick forwards.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Guys, this idea might be a little off the wall, but what about these ideas for single player:

Instead of Halo 4-izing the campaign (reinventing the wheel for no reason), stick with the format and mission structure that has actually worked thus far, BUT... spend more than 5 minutes throwing the maps and encounters together. Design areas and battles where the most sound strategy isn't standing back and pinging everyone with the BR/carbine/DMR from a mile away. Bring the action to the player. Pressure them and force them to react and make decisions quickly instead of spawning 35 dumb, damage sponge AIs at twelve-o-clock and calling it a day. Maybe spawn an enemy or two behind the player, if you think the dopey little snowflakes that comprise the "major market" can handle that without getting uber triggered and crying about that not being fair. Maybe look into ways to make PvE fights challenging without taking the easy way out and making everything they do a OHKO on legendary.

Wild shit, I know, but I think it can work!

So much this. The campaign design has gotten so lazy and uninspired. We don't need fucking open worlds to get lost in and shoehorned in RPG elements, just make the enemies fun to fight and give us a variety of scenarios and environments to have fun in (aka the first three games did yet another thing right that we lost over the years for no apparent reason). 

• Like (+1) 1

There is a direct correlation between the removal of Brutes and shitty campaigns.

#bringbackbrutes

#brutelivesmatter

• Like (+1) 2

Brutes sucked. In H3 and ODST they were tolerable because they played like nerfed elites, but in H2 and Reach they were big, dumb damage sponges. The last four levels of the H2 campaign suck ass mainly because of them.

12 hours ago, Arlong said:

Completely disagree. Halo campaign has tons of replay value. There's not a game that's released since the Xbox era that I've played single player more than the CE campaign. The way the AI interact with you is great. The og trilogy and CE especially isn't just necessarily about staying back in a safe area and popping the enemies, because there's encounters that occur are close up with you where you can't just back up in a safe area, especially once the Flood come into the picture. 

And there's absolutely different ways to play the missions. You could beat CE using only human weapons. You could probably beat it using only covenant weapons. And the additions of skulls (not just an entirety "LASO") brings so many different encounters. The Sputnik skull alone makes encounters different, more grenade jumps are possible - you can get the Scarab gun on Metropolis with the Sputnik skull and Rockets - no need for that damn Banshee trick. 

Halo 4 and 5's campaigns aren't replayable because the AI suck and everything is treated like a bullet sponge instead of having variable encounters to keep you on your toes and you can't go outside the death barrier so exploring those missions aren't nearly as fun.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Arlong said:

@Vyrst I know what I said isn’t a popular opinion, I just find rpg campaigns more appealing. Ask yourself? Once you’ve completed the campaign on all the difficulties what’s left to do? I guess in halos case you can play with skulls where it makes you one hit kill, or enemies ridiculously op. I’ll give destiny props for its campaign or in its case pve mode. There’s missions, side missions etc etc, which leave room for replay ability. A linear campaign in a game like halo, doom, cod eventually becomes stale. Heck’s even playing on higher difficulty isn’t fun or in my opinion it’s not. Halo did what every game does on higher difficulty is they made enemies bullet sponges. It shouldn’t take an entire clip of a BR to kill a fucking jackel. 

Yup. As everyone knows, the best thing to do once you have a product everyone loves and admires is to completely change it.

• Like (+1) 2

I've replayed Doom 2016 campaign several times because it's fun. RPG games I just sink hours into because there's just stuff to explore, but it's not always the most fun experience. 

I really miss Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters mission structure.

• Like (+1) 1

The endless, tedious grind for loot is not interesting gameplay. It is ADDICTIVE gameplay. RPG mechanics in modern AAA games have been stripped down to a cheap, psychologically manipulative gimmick to manufacture engagement and addiction. I would much rather have interesting, complex sandbox levels that leverage the game's mechanics to their fullest than a paper thin excuse to replay the same corridor 100 times because I want a weapon to drop with marginally better stats.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, arglactable said:

The endless, tedious grind for loot is not interesting gameplay. It is ADDICTIVE gameplay. RPG mechanics in modern AAA games have been stripped down to a cheap, psychologically manipulative gimmick to manufacture engagement and addiction. I would much rather have interesting, complex sandbox levels that leverage the game's mechanics to their fullest than a paper thin excuse to replay the same corridor 100 times because I want a weapon to drop with marginally better stats.

Except loot grinds also serve the purpose of feeding the egos of people who can't really compete at a skill-based game. Instead of actually getting better at a physically challenging, skill-based game, they just play a lot and, by default, improve based on RNG loot drops. Why have progress measured by competing against other (potentially better) players when you can just grind your way to it? 

• Like (+1) 1

Do you guys think 343 will reveal if Halo Infinite has sprint and spartan abilities or not at E3?