CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

52 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A burst fire precision weapon with more aim assist, a longer kill time, no scope, and not headshot capable wouldn’t be so bad, would it?  A Social Utility weapon doesn’t have to be a short range, inaccurate, spray and pray weapon.

I'm not completely opposed to this idea. Though I wouldn't make it a precision weapon per say. 

I'm thinking more like Destiny and how they have super fast/inaccurate and slow/accurate auto rifles. I mean that is already the difference between SMG/Storm rifle vs AR/PR, but I'd like to see its done more drastically. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I slightly disagree that we don't know how well a modern classic Halo would do. Halo is one of the most heavily market tested games out there, if it made sense from surveys and private demos to make the game classic, I feel that Microsoft and 343 would happily make that. My guess is, feedback is negative so they go the direction of advanced movement.

Now there is something to be said about the consumer not knowing what they truly want, myself included. You could also argue that there's no way you can market test every possible Halo fan, which is also true. But I don't believe a good classic Halo is guaranteed to sell well or be appreciated by a modern audience, not saying it wouldn't but I don't think it's a sure bet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

7 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Halo 4 surveyed and tested well with positive feed IIRC.

Worst Halo game in the franchise and almost universally hated. 

Wouldn't surprise me if every Halo game other than Halo 1, and maybe Halo 2, were made with market research, and even those had potential to be market tested. A lot of games are even submitted to ex-journalists for mock reviews so developers have a guess at how their game will look to reviewers.

It's not that it guarantees a game is good, it also doesn't guarantee sales numbers by any means. I'm mainly suggesting that it seems like 343 have a strong reason to believe that a classic game would not be successful. The only thing I can think of is market research.

17 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The main takeaway here being that "focus groups" are satan.

I can definitely understand this perspective. I think focus groups can be good, I'd bet some of Uncharted's best moments were probably shown to several focus groups and I think it worked out well for that game. I would assume the "nuanced" version of the game doesn't necessarily translate well to focus groups though. I feel a lot of people in those groups probably like holding forward with an AR, which is fine if that's the way they like playing the game, but it doesn't mean anything for the way I like to play Halo.

---

Honest question, what do you guys think Halo Infinite will be like? Not what you hope it'll be like, what do you think the game will actually play like? Is there new abilities, do they remove abilities? I believe they mentioned RPG elements, do they allow you to choose abilities like Halo 4 again? Does it depend on the game mode you're playing?

20 minutes ago, Silos said:

Honest question, what do you guys think Halo Infinite will be like? Not what you hope it'll be like, what do you think the game will actually play like? Is there new abilities, do they remove abilities? I believe they mentioned RPG elements, do they allow you to choose abilities like Halo 4 again? Does it depend on the game mode you're playing?

Unnecessarily big and stupid just like H4 and H5, probably 40-something weapons in the base sandbox plus god knows how many variants. Dual-wielding and playable elites come back, playable brutes wouldn't shock me. Abilities will be pared down but equipment will probably be reintroduced. God only knows what RPG elements will mean in a game like Halo but I can't imagine its anything good.

But during E3 they'll throw a couple of bones, like a Guardian remake or something, that will get the #webackers going.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Silos said:

Honest question, what do you guys think Halo Infinite will be like?

On 1/16/2019 at 10:57 AM, S0UL FLAME said:

The way I see it, 343 can do this in three different ways, with none of them being good.

Make Infinite more Classic: Congratulations, we finally got a more classic inspired Halo again! Except it draws everything from the most popular slice of the trilogy, Halo 3. We now have this amalgamation of Halo 3 with a side of modern art twist, with the sluggish classic movement and a gimped Battle Rifle to boot. Sure, we have the modern weapons in the mix, but the sandbox will be stupid weak and gunshots will spread like butter. The hardcore settings will have a DMR after months and months of arguing with the devs (and the community of H3 fanbois who un-apologetically like spready BR) and the game ultimately will feel like a trashy modded version of H2A.

Make Infinite more Modern: 343 tries to refine the Spartan Abilities from Halo 5 starting with the HCS Settings. Ground Pound and Spartan Charge are gone, Thrust and Clamber always keep your gun up to fire no matter what, Stabilize lasts longer, and Slide is smoother. AR/Magnum starts, but the Magnum has been nerfed into a mixture of the H5 Beta and Gunfighter, taking six shots to kill and has a 15 shot magazine. The overpowered and easy sandbox has minimal changes, and people argue that the Magnum either gets a buff, or we have BR starts. A year later, the Magnum gets a buff and basically turns into the H5 iteration with three extra bullets.

Make Infinite a mixture of Old and New: 343 take a look at all of the first three games, and try to expand on the classic movement from there. There isn't any sprint, but there is a Thrust, Stabilize, and a weird Wall-Kick that elevates you at half of your jump height. BR/AR starts, the former being an exact replica of the H5 BR we know today, and the latter being the H4 iteration. The sandbox is all over the place with jumbled easy and also way too hard to aim weapons, along with the return of H3 Equipment that has been tweaked. A constant feeling of "meh" washes over the entire Halo community, because the game isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

You could shift some things between these three possible outcomes, but it ultimately changes nothing. I honestly would be surprised if Infinite isn't like any of these.

• WutFace (+0) 1

From my knowledge many fans LOVE h2a. This is evident by what I see on many forms of social media. The biggest complaint is a lack of maps. Many fans even consider h2a a proper modern halo(technically it is when you think about it). Would a classic halo be successful? I say yes considering halo online(no marketing 14k pop in 3 days) , mcc most wanted game on steam atm.

currently advanced movement isn’t really wanted by communities. It seems the jet packing and wall running isn’t satisfactory. Although with that said it seems sprint + slide is quite favored. I’d be cool with this for halo if it could be done properly.  Maybe sprint for BTB and warzone, infection only? Reach is a game where if you played classic settings it felt great still. The sandbox and everything didn’t make playing without AA terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

In halo many see fast BMS and fast strafe accel to be a way to make halo faster paced. I agree. We all know sprint isn’t needed for a faster game, evidence is over watch, and counter strike. Now when it comes to this BMS how fast are we talking? 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

In halo many see fast BMS and fast strafe accel to be a way to make halo faster paced. I agree. We all know sprint isn’t needed for a faster game, evidence is over watch, and counter strike. Now when it comes to this BMS how fast are we talking? 

A bit faster than H5's BMS would feel good IMO. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Boyo said:

The difference in killtimes between the starting weapon in Pro gametypes and the starting weapon in Social gametypes changes the rest of the sandbox.  In Pro gametypes, mid level weapon pick ups are niche weapons, kept in the back pocket until an appropriate situation arises.  In Social gametypes, these same weapon pick up are direct upgrades to the starting weapon; they kill faster, they have unique effects.

With a properly designed Pro Utility Weapon, Social Utility Weapon, and mid tier weapon pick ups, two sandboxes can be created, using mostly the same weapons but functioning completely differently.

yeet 

4 hours ago, Arlong said:

The top speed isn’t really important because that is relative to map size.  The acceleration is what is really important.  Being able to change directions quickly and crisply is what is needed for interesting gun fights.  Without a proper strafe, the game is fucked from the get go.

25 minutes ago, Vyrst said:

yeet 

?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

The top speed isn’t really important because that is relative to map size.  

Image result for well yes but actually no

Increasing Top speed is preferable to changing perceived speed by shrinking or enlarging maps, in which maps end up way too big, or far too small. 

You don't need to adjust your maps just on BMS only, unless it's a vast increase that Halo hasn't seen before. We've only had to adjust map size when sprint was introduced.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JordanB said:

You don't need to adjust your maps just on BMS only, unless it's a vast increase that Halo hasn't seen before. We've only had to adjust map size when sprint was introduced.

We’ve never had a fast BMS.

11 hours ago, Arlong said:

We’ve never had a fast BMS.

Well I meant it as something so extreme that it wouldn't feel like Halo anymore. I don't want sprint, and I don't want a slow BMS, but I don't want the BMS to just be what Halo 5's sprint is now. That just wouldn't work and wouldn't feel like Halo. 

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

Well I meant it as something so extreme that it wouldn't feel like Halo anymore. I don't want sprint, and I don't want a slow BMS, but I don't want the BMS to just be what Halo 5's sprint is now. That just wouldn't work and wouldn't feel like Halo. 

Halo 5 at 120% BMS is the same speed sprint is. You can’t tell me it wouldn’t work or feel non halo like. 

Old School Settings used 120% BMS and it played fine. Keep in mind it only worked for maps scaled for sprint. H5 120% would not work on classic scaled maps. 110% is what Evolved Settings used and I'd say that's the sweet spot. Fast on smaller maps and slightly less fast on bigger ones.

• Upvote (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Halo 5 at 120% BMS is the same speed sprint is.

Source?

18 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Source?

Found this.

1 hour ago, Arlong said:

Halo 5 at 120% BMS is the same speed sprint is. You can’t tell me it wouldn’t work or feel non halo like. 

Haven't played Halo 5 in years. With the above video I linked it seems like H5 sprint isn't exactly 120% of BMS but it is close. I guess I'm more in terms thinking of the Halo 2 or 3 map/gameplay and bumping that to Halo 5's sprint speed, which wouldn't work in many cases bec the map wasn't designed around that. It would feel too fast IMO. But if the maps were designed around that speed then I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

13 hours ago, JordanB said:

Found this.

Haven't played Halo 5 in years. With the above video I linked it seems like H5 sprint isn't exactly 120% of BMS but it is close. I guess I'm more in terms thinking of the Halo 2 or 3 map/gameplay and bumping that to Halo 5's sprint speed, which wouldn't work in many cases bec the map wasn't designed around that. It would feel too fast IMO. But if the maps were designed around that speed then I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

I played customs with the settings and it felt good tbh.

How about a turret that fires a continuous beam that decreases the target’s damage resistance for a brief period.  You can make players one shot without actually damaging them.  Affected players or vehicles could glow or change color to indicate their status.

Infinite needs to be absolutely nothing like 4 or 5 to have a chance at being relevant again (regarding the Campaign/Story more than anything). After seeing the Borderlands 3 reveal and games Like Cyberpunk, 343 has a ton to prove if they want Halo to maintain any of its prior mainstream success. If they don't come out swinging at E3 with how the game looks/plays they are screwed. Having a completely Linear campaign like the older Halo's won't cut it. If this game isn't at least a 'soft' RPG I'd be shocked. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Both Titanfall 2 and DOOM had linear campaigns and both of them were critically acclaimed, I'd consider them the best FPS campaigns in almost a decade. 

What Infinite needs is a solid compelling storyline, fun gameplay and missions (aka no sprint and the other movement gimmicks) and better art style than the last two shitshows.The squad system in H5 can also get fucked IMO. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If the Halo squad system had been a better Republic Commando squad system it would've actually been awesome. 

• Like (+1) 2