CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

Doesn't that game already exist? The formula has been there for a while now, why aren't all the big streamers playing it?

Name it. I'd love to try it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mow said:

I take it you haven't been paying attention to the hype surrounding MCC PC?

Tbh, I've heard about it, but I'm not hyped about it due too the lack of marketing on 343s end. To add to that, I'm expecting issues. I've also haven't been on the forums for ages so I don't know the reaction to MCC PC from everyone active here.

• Downvote (-1) 1

12 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The last two major Halo titles made a mission out of throwing away everything good about classic Halo in an attempt to appeal to CoD kids/Battlefield kids/people who hate Halo because of X, and a result shat the bed more or less immediately after launch, the community and franchise is in the fucking gutter as a result, and people still have the balls to give the "things have changed since 2003" lecture? Unbelievable.

You are getting too emotional. I want Halo to succeed like everyone else here. I'm not rejecting Halo Infinite returning to classic Halo we all know and love. I'm more concerned about the major market, "not the Halo loyals", embracing classic Halo and sticking around.

23 minutes ago, SciKho said:

You are getting too emotional. I want Halo to succeed like everyone else here. I'm not rejecting Halo Infinite returning to classic Halo we all know and love. I'm more concerned about the major market, "not the Halo loyals", embracing classic Halo and sticking around.

Well certainly nobody in the “major market” is embracing the zoomy dash modern Halo we’ve been getting, including all but the 4000 people who still play Halo 5..

ElDewrito peaked at 14k+ people with almost no marketing whatsoever, probably more than the current Halo 5 population. 

I’m willing to bet my life savings on a new classic iteration of Halo on PC+xbox being more popular than any Halo title since Halo Reach. 

• Like (+1) 1

MCC is already the most wishlisted game on Steam, a platform with an install base, far, far higher than any Xbox console has. If MCC works withot major issues, it'll sell like hotcakes, and if Infinite also launches on steam following this, it will sell regardless of it being classic or not. 

12 hours ago, SciKho said:

Because the "major market" totally embraced and stuck with the compromised, vacuous piles of garbage that nu-Bungie and 343 served up when desperately trying to court them. 

People that are interested in playing Halo want to play HALO, not some Star Wars/Marvel/(current trendy shooter)/shitty book lore mashup that some out-of-touch carpetbaggers thought was appropriate to release under the Halo banner. I thought this stupid debate was put to bed once and for all in 2012, when Halo 4 ("Let Halo evolve! Have an open mind! We have to keep up with other games!") was a fucking ghost town mere weeks after it launched, but I guess not!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Could Halo benefit from a troop transport vehicle?

The vehicle would float above the ground and cast down a ring of shield door, tall and wide enough for multiple Spartans to fit within.  One player operates the floating vehicle while the others walk below in the safety of the shielded area.  Players are free to enter and exit the shielded area by walking through the circular shield door.

• WutFace (+0) 1

32 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Could Halo benefit from a troop transport vehicle?

The vehicle would float above the ground and cast down a ring of shield door, tall and wide enough for multiple Spartans to fit within.  One player operates the floating vehicle while the others walk below in the safety of the shielded area.  Players are free to enter and exit the shielded area by walking through the circular shield door.

So a moving bubble shield? Pass

• Upvote (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Nokt said:

So a moving bubble shield? Pass

Would it make it better or worse if there was a short range projectile weapon that could fire through shield doors?

I would hate that whole idea.  Halo doesn't have the player count or the map size for something like that to even be valuable/necessary. Nevermind the cheese factor of actually playing with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Would it make it better or worse if there was a short range projectile weapon that could fire through shield doors?

Worse if its a gun made specifically for that purpose. 

For kicks and giggles. Made it a circle vehicle where its just a bunch of individual doors that can rotate. You can break the doors by shooting them and the driver can rotate the doors around to try and protect his teammates from where they are being shot from. Shields would regenerate after a LONG cooldown. 

Actually if shield doors do make some return, having them be breakable would be a neat idea. 

Just now, Hard Way said:

I would hate that whole idea.  Halo doesn't have the player count or the map size for something like that to even be valuable/necessary. Nevermind the cheese factor of actually playing with it.

This.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Because the "major market" totally embraced and stuck with the compromised, vacuous piles of garbage that nu-Bungie and 343 served up when desperately trying to court them. 

People that are interested in playing Halo want to play HALO, not some Star Wars/Marvel/(current trendy shooter)/shitty book lore mashup that some out-of-touch carpetbaggers thought was appropriate to release under the Halo banner. I thought this stupid debate was put to bed once and for all in 2012, when Halo 4 ("Let Halo evolve! Have an open mind! We have to keep up with other games!") was a fucking ghost town mere weeks after it launched, but I guess not!

Don't forget "ADAPT" used unironically by some of the worst players in the game.

• Like (+1) 5

What would a successor to Sandtrap’s Elephant look like?

Just now, Boyo said:

Didn't they already do that with the Mammoth in the Halo 4 campaign, or do you mean specifically for multiplayer?

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What's the design goal you're trying to achieve?  A mobile base, or just a large transport vehicle in general?

1-sided objective games that take place on a Scarab could be pretty dank.  One team trying to board it or disable it with grav lifts and vehicles, the other team operating it and trying to keep it from being destroyed.

There's so much room for Halo to do crazy innovations with sandbox content and gamemode content, but all they care about is apathetically reinventing the core gameplay from entry to entry.

• Fire (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

What's the design goal you're trying to achieve?  A mobile base, or just a large transport vehicle in general?

Two separate things.  One, a vehicle for attackers in a large scale Invasion gametype.  Something protected, something to aide a push.  Two, a mobile base.  I’ve been thinking about a mobile base that can “dock” on various parts of the map.  Like, you can pull up to a specific structure on the map and merge to form a new area, change the map layout.  Think it’s feasible?

13 minutes ago, Ramirez77 said:

1-sided objective games that take place on a Scarab could be pretty dank.  One team trying to board it or disable it with grav lifts and vehicles, the other team operating it and trying to keep it from being destroyed.

There's so much room for Halo to do crazy innovations with sandbox content and gamemode content, but all they care about is apathetically reinventing the core gameplay from entry to entry.

Invasion tweaked with the first round being large vehicles invading would be pretty cool. A scarab trying to break through a wall or wraiths trying to infiltrate a ship. Halo could be on a whole other level in terms of gameplay offerings, instead we take one step forward and two steps back with every game release. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to hear the thoughts about certain map designs Halo has been known for. Explain why you like/dislike the following:

4-Way Syms - Wizard, Warlock, Foundation

Box Canyons - Blood Gulch, Battle Creek, Valhalla

Bridgeworks - Lockout, Guardian, Uncaged

Two Bases, Two Towers - Midship, Assembly, Zealot

Segmented - Chill Out, Ivory Tower, Ghost Town

Top Heavy - Damnation, Colossus, Construct 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I'd love to hear the thoughts about certain map designs Halo has been known for. Explain why you like/dislike the following:

4-Way Syms - Wizard, Warlock, Foundation

Box Canyons - Blood Gulch, Battle Creek, Valhalla

Bridgeworks - Lockout, Guardian, Uncaged

Two Bases, Two Towers - Midship, Assembly, Zealot

Segmented - Chill Out, Ivory Tower, Ghost Town

Top Heavy - Damnation, Colossus, Construct 

I think for what they're good for most of those map designs have a high degree of success. So I usually view it more along the lines of appropriate fundamental designs for game modes rather than building a 4 base sym and then finding out it plays CTF afterwards relatively well in 4v4. I think the most contested/likely to fail design is segmented followed by bridgeworks and top heavy. Its not because they're inherently bad just that its most often asymmetrical and thus more difficult to balance and design around. It also immediately cuts out certain game modes like 2 flag in the majority of those circumstances. Very susceptible to stand offish gameplay and poor weapon design (think automatics or shotguns) unless there is a ton of attention to detail. Oddball, FFA and 1v1s are probably the only reason decent players look back at your selection for bridgeworks and don't hate the thought of playing Guardian and Lockout. The majority of CE map design is actually unbelievably bad without also pairing it with the actual gameplay mechanics of Halo CE so its hard to give a broad opinion on that game in particular in the sense of future discussion. A great example is how well Damnation plays in CE 2v2 but just how bad it actually was for 4v4 Reach.

I think the biggest take away from all of Halo map design is that you should build maps for specific gametypes and build towards varying experiences within those gametypes as the map pool grows. First you need to have in mind what the games mechanics actually are and how they work at a high level because Halo has also proven that simply rehashing good map design from another game can easily turn into very bad map design. If you don't build a map with the understanding of how that game plays you get sword base and if you try to copy it from another game you can get Penance or Solitary which is why giving an overall opinion on types of map designs in Halo is very hard. They're really just tools to build an experience that get misused A LOT

• Like (+1) 3

Would halo infinite be capable of playable AI(spartan/elites). I know on the Blam engine it isn’t possible(according to gamecheat13 a modder who loves to mod halo) so I’m hoping halo infinite will have this feature. Cod, gears(idk if BF has it) have player vs AI. They do want this to be the biggest game yet, and playable AI in customs be a good start. Oh and customs that allow more than 16 players(why have we used this number for so long). It makes zero sense to me how they only allowed 24 players for warzone and not once made an update where we could do it in customs.

The difference in killtimes between the starting weapon in Pro gametypes and the starting weapon in Social gametypes changes the rest of the sandbox.  In Pro gametypes, mid level weapon pick ups are niche weapons, kept in the back pocket until an appropriate situation arises.  In Social gametypes, these same weapon pick up are direct upgrades to the starting weapon; they kill faster, they have unique effects.

With a properly designed Pro Utility Weapon, Social Utility Weapon, and mid tier weapon pick ups, two sandboxes can be created, using mostly the same weapons but functioning completely differently.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The difference in killtimes between the starting weapon in Pro gametypes and the starting weapon in Social gametypes changes the rest of the sandbox.  In Pro gametypes, mid level weapon pick ups are niche weapons, kept in the back pocket until an appropriate situation arises.  In Social gametypes, these same weapon pick up are direct upgrades to the starting weapon; they kill faster, they have unique effects.

With a properly designed Pro Utility Weapon, Social Utility Weapon, and mid tier weapon pick ups, two sandboxes can be created, using mostly the same weapons but functioning completely differently.

Fuck that I don't want the game to become unbalanced garbage just because it's social. We had that with SMG and AR starts and it SUCKED. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

That basically sounds like BR vs AR starts. Please no. Say what you will about wether universal settings should be a thing or not, but all base gametypes should have a strong but difficult utility weapon. Maybe a weaker or short range auto secondary for at least social but that is it for differences if there are any to the spawning loadout. If the utility weapon is difficult enough even niche pickups could 'seem' like upgrades for low-skill players, anyway, IMO.

A burst fire precision weapon with more aim assist, a longer kill time, no scope, and not headshot capable wouldn’t be so bad, would it?  A Social Utility weapon doesn’t have to be a short range, inaccurate, spray and pray weapon.