CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

29 minutes ago, Basu said:

I just don't like having a dedicated AA button that goes unused unless you pick up a map item. Jetpack or Jump Boots or whatever works because you can bind it to "jump in mid air" but stuff like thrust doesn't work like that. 

How would usage be limited? Fuel, limited use, unlimited till death, is it dropped on death? 

Recharging fuel, not dropped on death.  Thruster, for example, I picture as three thrusts depleting all fuel and it takes 30 seconds for the fuel to refill completely (in other words, 10 seconds before you can thrust once again).

One piece of Equipment I think could be really interesting is the Forerunner “Artifact”.  You can “activate” certain parts of the map with it.  It can be as simple as opening a locked/secret door to as complicated as rearranging the physical geometry of the map, changing the layout of an area (make pillars rise and fall, turn a pile of rubble back into a structure).

3 hours ago, Basu said:

I just don't like having a dedicated AA button that goes unused unless you pick up a map item. Jetpack or Jump Boots or whatever works because you can bind it to "jump in mid air" but stuff like thrust doesn't work like that. 

How would usage be limited? Fuel, limited use, unlimited till death, is it dropped on death? 

Ideally we could use either the sprint or the thrust button for it, since those wouldn't be in the game.

I picture all this stuff like Jump Boots from Unreal Tournament. 3 uses. That's it. Pretty quick respawn, maybe every minute.  They'd be like equipment from H3, except good. But I wouldn't drop them on death. If I had my way we'd use a static item spawn system like H1, and that might make for too many pieces of equipment in play at once by the end of the game.  Also, every piece of equipment needs a visual tell before it gets used.

14 hours ago, Boyo said:

If Thruster is a pick up, there is no need for balancing factors like losing shields.  It is a direct upgrade to your base movement abilities.  No one is going to fight over a pick up that lowers your shields when you use it.  Cooldowns are fine because that just prevents spamming and isn’t punishing the player for using it.

What is the problem with Thruster as a pick up?

What is the problem with a pick up that helps infantry avoid splatters?

I was more thinking of it as a spartan ability. Honestly even as a pick up I'm fine with it not being fought over. Jetpacks on Sanc in Reach weren't fought over, but still used. I'd rather it be more like that.  

14 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Not sure that would do enough. The main problem with thrust is it destroys ranged combat due to its escape window. Players don't have to respect getting nicked by the magnum from far away. I'd make it so that if you're half shields or lower, thrust is disabled. This way players will have to commit to their position when caught with their pants down.

I like that, half shields = no thrust. 1v1 battles were predictable in Halo 5 in that it was 3-4 shots > thrust > final shot. Making it half shields would be kind of a risk/reward scenario. Can it help you reverse the battle? 

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

What you should be arguing is that rockets are inherently offensive while thruster is inherently defensive and defensive items should not be in Halo.

My counter argument would be that with a map designed with a thruster pick up in mind, movement would be the thruster’s primary purpose, not defense.

You know, I’ve always liked the idea of a Nerf to thruster that makes it strafe dependent only. The ability to only thrust to the sides(left or right). No thrust melee(which was worse than sprint melee).

Would it be too much to ask for a world where infinite gives equal love to 2v2 and 4v4? Where Infinite released with maps specifically designed for both? Where the 2v2 playlist had its own unique spawn system like CE and the 4v4 playlist had its own spawn system similar to later Halos? Where the 4v4 list had a low focus (or none at all) on slayer and let the objective control the pace of the game and the 2v2 playlist let frequently spawning power items control the pace of the game? Well... would it?

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

You know, I’ve always liked the idea of a Nerf to thruster that makes it strafe dependent only. The ability to only thrust to the sides(left or right). No thrust melee(which was worse than sprint melee).

Double derps in Vanilla Reach were worse than any thrust melee I dealt with in H4/5

34 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

Would it be too much to ask for a world where infinite gives equal love to 2v2 and 4v4? Where Infinite released with maps specifically designed for both? Where the 2v2 playlist had its own unique spawn system like CE and the 4v4 playlist had its own spawn system similar to later Halos? Where the 4v4 list had a low focus (or none at all) on slayer and let the objective control the pace of the game and the 2v2 playlist let frequently spawning power items control the pace of the game? Well... would it?

Yes because now you’re wasting game dev time. No developer wants to make a separate spawn system just for a certain part of a games community. It’s like wanting hitmarkers to be only on guns, again no game Dev wants to do that because it’s a waste of time. A solution is hitmarkers or no hit markers. 

As for maps yes it is too much to ask for. Most 4v4 maps play decently good for 2s anyway. I’d debate CEs spawn system isn’t as unique as you think but for doubles it’s not too bad.

as for the items, no because a simple customization of when power items spawn can be implemented. 

10 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Yes because now you’re wasting game dev time. No developer wants to make a separate spawn system just for a certain part of a games community. It’s like wanting hitmarkers to be only on guns, again no game Dev wants to do that because it’s a waste of time. A solution is hitmarkers or no hit markers. 

As for maps yes it is too much to ask for. Most 4v4 maps play decently good for 2s anyway. I’d debate CEs spawn system isn’t as unique as you think but for doubles it’s not too bad.

as for the items, no because a simple customization of when power items spawn can be implemented. 

I hate to be that guy and blame everything on sprint, but I feel like sprint ruins a lot of maps that could be good maps in either playlist. Most 4's maps felt too large for doubles in H5. 

14 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I hate to be that guy and blame everything on sprint, but I feel like sprint ruins a lot of maps that could be good maps in either playlist. Most 4's maps felt too large for doubles in H5. 

Oh yeah in h5s case that’s a no brainer they all sucked.

No, that would be an excellent use of dev time. Req packs and postgame fist bump animations are a waste of dev time.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LI Mr X IL said:

No, that would be an excellent use of dev time. Req packs and postgame fist bump animations are a waste of dev time.

In your opinion. But I know game devs, no developer would want to waste their time making “two” different spawn systems. Especially when such a thing isn’t in high demand. Making maps isn’t easy and in halos case they will want to make maps fit for 4v4 or BTB/Warzone. In the past doubles played just fine for doubles, heck’s even h4s maps. But the h5 ones obviously do not. The amount of time it takes to make the spawn system and balance it etc etc, to just do it AGAIN but on a gametype, and for a specific community of the game because that community doesn’t like the current spawning(even though no one but you ce people have ever complained about it) is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, LI Mr X IL said:

You should also note majority of the halo community doesn’t think CE’s spawning as good or unique. Didn’t halo reach have a mode where you could spawn somewhere specific anyway. I can’t remembef the name but it was a game type where you could spawn in 3 central locations or next to your teammate as long as he wasn’t in battle. I found this quite unique and in your situation you should as well because it gives the player “control” on where they spawn which is what you ce people want/like.

38 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

In your opinion. But I know game devs, no developer would want to waste their time making “two” different spawn systems. Especially when such a thing isn’t in high demand. Making maps isn’t easy and in halos case they will want to make maps fit for 4v4 or BTB/Warzone. In the past doubles played just fine for doubles, heck’s even h4s maps. But the h5 ones obviously do not. The amount of time it takes to make the spawn system and balance it etc etc, to just do it AGAIN but on a gametype, and for a specific community of the game because that community doesn’t like the current spawning(even though no one but you ce people have ever complained about it) is ridiculous. 

I mean if you create a robust spawn system it shouldn't matter what the game type/mode. You can create the system with 4's in mind, but not specific to it. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I mean if you create a robust spawn system it shouldn't matter what the game type/mode. You can create the system with 4's in mind, but not specific to it. 

It’s not what he wants though. The spawning is the same for every mode while hed like a specific spawn towards his own preferred mode.

You should also note majority of the halo community doesn’t think CE’s spawning as good or unique. Didn’t halo reach have a mode where you could spawn somewhere specific anyway. I can’t remembef the name but it was a game type where you could spawn in 3 central locations or next to your teammate as long as he wasn’t in battle. I found this quite unique and in your situation you should as well because it gives the player “control” on where they spawn which is what you ce people want/like.

Every Halo plays perfectly fine for doubles with the current spawn system. Every halo would play doubles even better with a CE like spawn system. People who don’t like the spawn system in CE 2v2 either A) have no idea how it works and don’t understand why they keep getting killed off spawn or B) understand it but can’t be bothered to take the time to learn it and get better. Rarely will you find a person who both understands how it works and wants to take the time to master it that thinks CE 2v2 would play better without it. Having a system that allows you to control your partner’s spawn adds another layer to the game to be mastered and adds to the skill ceiling. Also, I’m pretty sure every Halo including CE already has multiple spawn systems based on game type so...

32 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

It’s not what he wants though. The spawning is the same for every mode while hed like a specific spawn towards his own preferred mode.

You do understand that different gametypes typically have curated spawn systems for them, right? I fail to see why 2v2 can't get the same treatment.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

You do understand that different gametypes typically have curated spawn systems for them, right? I fail to see why 2v2 can't get the same treatment.

Their spawns still work in the same regard with minor differences. It’s not making a new spawn system that is why.  I guess I forgot to clarify the spawning isn’t customized depending how many people are in a match. Which doubles is exactly that.  One needs to sckmoflrh

7 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Ideally we could use either the sprint or the thrust button for it, since those wouldn't be in the game.

I picture all this stuff like Jump Boots from Unreal Tournament. 3 uses. That's it. Pretty quick respawn, maybe every minute.  They'd be like equipment from H3, except good. But I wouldn't drop them on death. If I had my way we'd use a static item spawn system like H1, and that might make for too many pieces of equipment in play at once by the end of the game.  Also, every piece of equipment needs a visual tell before it gets used.

That sounds interesting and fully agree on quick respawn and static timers and of course the visual tell (fuck H3 especially in that regard). However I still can't think of an ability besides maybe jump boots/jetpack that isn't just frustrating to fight against. Thruster is just a garbage ability because it's way more frustrating to fight against that it is fun to use. Same goes for stuff like armor lock and phase shift.

6 minutes ago, Basu said:

That sounds interesting and fully agree on quick respawn and static timers and of course the visual tell (fuck H3 especially in that regard). However I still can't think of an ability besides maybe jump boots/jetpack that isn't just frustrating to fight against. Thruster is just a garbage ability because it's way more frustrating to fight against that it is fun to use. Same goes for stuff like armor lock and phase shift.

BTB could have a Spotting Scope Equipment that allows the user to tag up to 3 enemies with a waypoint visible to his team.

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

BTB could have a Spotting Scope Equipment that allows the user to tag up to 3 enemies with a waypoint visible to his team.

Sounds lame honestly.

15 minutes ago, Basu said:

Sounds lame honestly.

IKR. Why not add a pinging system? That’s basically what it is but in terms of equipment.

2 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

IKR. Why not add a pinging system? That’s basically what it is but in terms of equipment.

How does a pinging system work?

2 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Depends on what he means. A ping system that allows you to ping the position of an enemy when you see them would be cool. It’s not unearned information since you have to make line of sight and would take the place of call outs for antisocial people who don’t want to use their mic. A ping systems that actually tags an enemy and keeps track of where they go would be lame.

• Like (+1) 2

I think some sort of weapon/powerup involving enemy locations could work, but only if you do it right. A guy on red team being able to tag a guy on blue team from afar with a waypoint that everyone on red team can see would be the wrong day to do it. That's just too easy for red team.

I pitched a powerup idea in some thread on here, it got a lukewarm reception but whatever. This powerup, which I'll call "stalker", when picked up, allows the user - and only the user - to see the locations of every currently alive player on the enemy team (or all living players in FFA), via a waypoint. Players in the respawn screen at the time of pickup are exempt. He can call out the information to his teammates, but he's the only one who can actually see their up-to-the-second location. The waypoint expires when the target dies (except for suicide), or all of them expire when the user dies (obviously). 

I'm not 100% sure how an active camo player should be handled here... at first I thought a powerup like this could be a counter to camo, but now I think there's more metagame potential if the camo player is unaffected by the stalker powerup (as long as his camo is active when stalker is picked up).

This is the kind of mechanic where you would have to get the details perfect, otherwise it will be a bust and a source of real frustration.

• Like (+1) 1

I think we should just have a ping system and if you haven’t played apex you only can target weapons and location spots. The ping doesn’t follow the person directly. This is the most perfect system because gamers these days(console at least) don’t use gamechat(tons have mics I’ve noticed it’s just that NO one uses gamechat) it helps provide call outs without a need of a mic. We don’t need some ctf spotting ability we just need the ping system.

• Like (+1) 1