CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I saw someone mention earlier in this thread, but the SPV3 mod by CMT is literally the best Halo campaign I have played since 2009.  Really hope all these people at 343 sunk a lot of time into it because damn if it isn't thrice as good as anything 343i has released single player-wise.

Can anyone name one positive thing about Armor Lock?

18 minutes ago, Boyo said:

It looks cool.

31 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If it was a map pickup, had 2 uses, and each use lasted only half a second, I think it’d be cool. It was fun to block grenades, rockets and splatters with it. The problem was that you could spawn with it, and treat it like a time-out button in a fight while you begged for help from your team. If you had to earn it, you could keep the good and ditch the bad.

Also it could never be in KotH or Strongholds.

Also ditch the EMP and being able to turn your camera while you use it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

If it was a map pickup, had 2 uses, and each use lasted only half a second, I think it’d be cool. It was fun to block grenades, rockets and splatters with it. The problem was that you could spawn with it, and treat it like a time-out button in a fight while you begged for help from your team. If you had to earn it, you could keep the good and ditch the bad.

The ability to dodge a splatter, or an incoming rocket, or shed a sticky could be incorporated into a “Phase Shifter” Equipment.  Using this Equipment would cause the user to become a ghost for a second.  Vehicles and explosions would pass right through without damaging him and stickies would fall off.

Better or worse than Armor Lock?

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The ability to dodge a splatter, or an incoming rocket, or shed a sticky could be incorporated into a “Phase Shifter” Equipment.  Using this Equipment would cause the user to become a ghost for a second.  Vehicles and explosions would pass right through without damaging him and stickies would fall off.

Better or worse than Armor Lock?

Probably better. I was never that big of a fan of dying to an armor locker when I'm in a vehicle. I didn't like that you always had to wonder if they had armor lock or not. It'd have to be very brief though, since I imagine you're still moving when you use it?

Idk though. That ability was in Titanfall 2 and it was pretty broken. Making it a map pickup with limited uses, and a much shorter duration would help, but it still conjures bad memories. Maybe if you could still see a static effect or apparition so you could track them while they use it it'd be better. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought about thrusters a little bit last night, I was thinking about Octane in Apex. What if as a balancing to thrusters you lose shields when you thrust. Nothing substantial probably 10-15% shields. If you don't have any shields, you can't thrust. You cannot spam it either, it still has a couple second cooldown.

Personally I'd rather it not be in Halo Infinite, but thats wishful thinking.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Thruster is unacceptable in Halo. Bartering with 343 in the hopes that they'll throw some extra quirks to the mix won't accomplish anything. Compromise is lose-lose. Halo 5 was a fine display of that.

Armor lock or anything like it is a non-starter as well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

I thought about thrusters a little bit last night, I was thinking about Octane in Apex. What if as a balancing to thrusters you lose shields when you thrust. Nothing substantial probably 10-15% shields. If you don't have any shields, you can't thrust. You cannot spam it either, it still has a couple second cooldown.

If Thruster is a pick up, there is no need for balancing factors like losing shields.  It is a direct upgrade to your base movement abilities.  No one is going to fight over a pick up that lowers your shields when you use it.  Cooldowns are fine because that just prevents spamming and isn’t punishing the player for using it.

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Thruster is unacceptable in Halo. Bartering with 343 in the hopes that they'll throw some extra quirks to the mix won't accomplish anything. Compromise is lose-lose. Halo 5 was a fine display of that.

Armor lock or anything like it is a non-starter as well.

What is the problem with Thruster as a pick up?

What is the problem with a pick up that helps infantry avoid splatters?

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

Not sure that would do enough. The main problem with thrust is it destroys ranged combat due to its escape window. Players don't have to respect getting nicked by the magnum from far away. I'd make it so that if you're half shields or lower, thrust is disabled. This way players will have to commit to their position when caught with their pants down.

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Probably better. I was never that big of a fan of dying to an armor locker when I'm in a vehicle. I didn't like that you always had to wonder if they had armor lock or not. It'd have to be very brief though, since I imagine you're still moving when you use it?

Idk though. That ability was in Titanfall 2 and it was pretty broken. Making it a map pickup with limited uses, and a much shorter duration would help, but it still conjures bad memories. Maybe if you could still see a static effect or apparition so you could track them while they use it it'd be better. 

Damn, even down to the name in Titanfall.

Yes, you can still move while your using it.  There would be a visual indicator of where the player is while using it.  I picture it something like this

BtXdcY.gif

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If Thruster is a pick up, there is no need for balancing factors like losing shields.  It is a direct upgrade to your base movement abilities.  No one is going to fight over a pick up that lowers your shields when you use it.  Cooldowns are fine because that just prevents spamming and isn’t punishing the player for using it.

What is the problem with Thruster as a pick up?

What is the problem with a pick up that helps infantry avoid splatters?

Because thruster is a bailout mechanic specifically tailored to give reckless players a lifeline for when they get themselves into trouble. Same as armor lock. You stepped too far out of cover and you're getting melted? Thrust. You're corner camping and a grenade lands right next to you? Thrust. You decided to go for a stroll right down the middle of some BTB map and now a ghost is coming to turn you into roadkill? Thrust. It's garbage. It provides a lifeline to people doing stupid shit who will never improve at the game because they're not being punished for their mistakes, while it rips off the guy making good decisions and playing well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Because thruster is a bailout mechanic specifically tailored to give reckless players a lifeline for when they get themselves into trouble. Same as armor lock. You stepped too far out of cover and you're getting melted? Thrust. You're corner camping and a grenade lands right next to you? Thrust. You decided to go for a stroll right down the middle of some BTB map and now a ghost is coming to turn you into roadkill? Thrust. It's garbage. It provides a lifeline to people doing stupid shit who will never improve at the game because they're not being punished for their mistakes, while it rips off the guy making good decisions and playing well.

If your enemy secured the item from off the map, and you didn’t, shouldn’t he be allowed to play recklessly because no one stopped him from getting the item that allows him to play recklessly?

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If your enemy secured the item from off the map, and you didn’t, shouldn’t he be allowed to play recklessly because no one stopped him from getting the item that allows him to play recklessly?

No, he shouldn't, because power items don't bail you out of bad decisions. You play recklessly and make a mistake with the rockets, your ass is grass. You start firing at the wrong time with camo, or you take a bad path and get spotted, you're done. You play poorly with overshield, the overshield will get melted and you'll get wiped out.

But if you make a mistake with that thruster pack you picked up... wait for it... *THRUST*! You're alive and no longer in danger.

By your logic, there should be a powerup that keeps entire teams in the respawn screen for 60 seconds. If they don't like it, they should have secured the powerup, those silly billies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hard Way said:

You know the armor abilities biggest fault isn’t they exist, it’s that you can spawn with it. Looking at halo 4 the most hated thing about it was Boltshot. 343 not realizing why it was hated. It’s because it was a mini shotgun that was stronger than the damned mauler that you spawned with. We kept jet pack in reach v7 and it wasn’t op. It was simply a pickup, that is all. It didn’t change the size of the map(sanctuary) because it wasn’t a spawned thing. I’d like it if 343 did that with halo infinite. If they want to keep shit like A.M in their game or some signs of it, then have them be map pickups. The biggest reason people hate sprint or thrust is because they do the following.

1. Add get out of jail free cards

2. Change map design by making maps bigger or wider(in h5s case both)

3. Weapons have more bullet magnetism to compensate

4.harder to make maps since you must balance them around all this movement shit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The reach dodge roll is better than Thrust or Sprint. I would set up games around Dodge Roll and Shotguns. Shit was amazing and looked cooler

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Larry Sizemore said:

power items don't bail you out of bad decisions

Uh, yeah they do.  Come around a corner to two enemies waiting for you?  Pull rockets out of your back pocket and annihilate them.

52 minutes ago, Vyrst said:

The reach dodge roll is better than Thrust or Sprint. I would set up games around Dodge Roll and Shotguns. Shit was amazing and looked cooler

Eh evade was too far. That shit was almost impossible to hit when Spartans used it. Was far more balanced on big ass elites.

54 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Uh, yeah they do.  Come around a corner to two enemies waiting for you?  Pull rockets out of your back pocket and annihilate them.

How is the player rounding the corner making a bad decision? That's just an encounter. Power items grant the player advantage going into an encounter, but if the player squanders that advantage, they do not bail him out.

6 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

How is the player rounding the corner making a bad decision? That's just an encounter. Power items grant the player advantage going into an encounter, but if the player squanders that advantage, they do not bail him out.

There’s no bad decision that having rockets could get you out of?  Come on man we both know that’s not true.

The real question is, was something really a bad decision if you have the means to get yourself out of it?

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

There’s no bad decision that having rockets could get you out of?  Come on man we both know that’s not true.

The real question is, was something really a bad decision if you have the means to get yourself out of it?

Well, name one.

In Halo 1 (the model Halo game and the only one that's balanced correctly) the margin for error is very slim even if you have rockets. A bad rocket on an enemy aware of your presence is usually death, unless they choke as well. A bad push followed by a great rocket will often result in a trade - the enemy player dies to the rocket, but before it can land, you die to their pistol/grenades. If two players are (stupidly) huddled up together and a rocket guy challenges them and blows them both up, that's not the rocket player getting bailed out of a bad decision, that's him capitalizing on the stupidity of two idiots who should know that holding hands in Halo 1 makes the two of you a walking double kill.

What you should be arguing is that rockets are inherently offensive while thruster is inherently defensive and defensive items should not be in Halo.

My counter argument would be that with a map designed with a thruster pick up in mind, movement would be the thruster’s primary purpose, not defense.

I just don't like having a dedicated AA button that goes unused unless you pick up a map item. Jetpack or Jump Boots or whatever works because you can bind it to "jump in mid air" but stuff like thrust doesn't work like that. 

How would usage be limited? Fuel, limited use, unlimited till death, is it dropped on death?