CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Why has there never been a precision rifle with a battery?  Magnum, DMR, Carbine, Needle Rifle, Light Rifle, all need to be reloaded.  I think a baby beam rifle could add an interesting dynamic to gun fights.  It could enforce pacing without sacrificing accuracy.

If there were a battery rifle, how would you want it to behave?

I haven't played it myself, but I believe that the SPV3 campaign mod for Halo: Custom Edition on PC actually made the Carbine battery based. Definitely looks like it makes the weapon feel just that little bit more different.

As for battery mechanics, a fun twinstick shooter called Helldivers has a very interesting take on it. Energy weapons all have power cells that must be reloaded if the weapon is allowed to overheat. However, although you can only carry just a few power cells max and energy weapons can and WILL overheat pretty fast, you have infinite ammo as long as you don't overheat the power cells.

While I can't say that it would be the best option for Halo energy weapons (the established mechanics are not exactly broken, to begin with), I have found the above implementation to be an interesting one in a game(Helldivers) that otherwise forces very careful ammo conservation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Forerunner weapons could be completely recreated with batteries that can be cooled when you press the reload button, similar to the Plasma Repeater. Making them a bit more unique in how they function would be a nice bonus too.

It might just make more sense to make the Carbine with a battery, since other Covenant weapons are already mostly battery, where as most of the Forerunner weapons aren't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Here are my ideal successors to the Carbine and Plasma Rifle.

Tidal Rifle 

This semi automatic, hitscan weapon kills in 6 shots (1.2 seconds) with a headshot.  The weapon’s battery overheats if continuously fired in rapid succession.  The Reload button fires a slow moving orb that kills in 3 shots (2.0 seconds).  Impacting a midair orb with the weapon’s primary fire creates an explosion that damages proximate players immediately followed by an implosion that pulls proximate players towards the epicenter of the blast.  The Scope button aims down sights to zoom in to the equivalent of a 2x scope.

Plasma Repeater

The weapon can be toggled between “Cool” and “Hot” mode.  It glows either blue or red depending on what mode it’s in.

In Cool mode, it fires blue, fast moving, fast rate of fire, low damage, low heat-generated projectiles.

It Hot mode, it fires red, slow moving, slow rate of fire, high damage, high heat-generated projectiles.

The battery never overheats but the rate of fire is reduced while above 90% heat level.  Pressing the Reload button while the weapon is above 90% heat level releases a short range forward-blast of damaging gas.  Venting hot gas cools the weapon down faster but firing is disabled while doing so.

The Plasma Repeater is the default starting weapon for Elite Slayer and a pick up on 4v4 maps.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

Since the Reload button would be unused on a battery rifle, a secondary fire could be mapped to it.  It could be Halo’s Shock Rifle.

Duude you just fucking solved it. I always thought a shock rifle in Halo would be fantastic but couldn't wrap my head around the button layout to make it not-stupid to use. Mapping it to zoom is awkward, mapping it to grenade makes it obviously impossible to throw nades, anything D-pad is clumsy, but reload + battery is the obvious solution.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 4/17/2019 at 4:54 AM, PolyG said:

Apparently, removing the disk drive enables Halo 5 split-screen @0:42s

So those of you with Xbox Ones at home still, yunno... give it a shot. Rip that sucker out of there... :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBDSMNE3_oQ

yoo this comment needs more attention. This so fucking pathetic it's hysterical. Did they seriously use editing software to make it look like Halo is still split-screen compatible and then give the scene a very obvious "couch co-op" feel? How out of touch with reality are these dumbasses?

Edit: rofl, video is gone. Another PR disaster for the Xbox One.

12 minutes ago, Basu said:

Duude you just fucking solved it. I always thought a shock rifle in Halo would be fantastic but couldn't wrap my head around the button layout to make it not-stupid to use. Mapping it to zoom is awkward, mapping it to grenade makes it obviously impossible to throw nades, anything D-pad is clumsy, but reload + battery is the obvious solution.

Thanks for the kind words.  I have more ideas for uses of the Reload button on other weapons if you’re interested in hearing them.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Thanks for the kind words.  I have more ideas for uses of the Reload button on other weapons if you’re interested in hearing them.

Yeah man go ahead I'm interested.

Gravity Bow

Charging then firing this weapon kills a fully shielded player in 1 bodyshot.  The very fast moving projectile begins dropping once past medium range but can still flip light vehicles and tip over medium vehicles.  It has a quick charge time and no cooldown after firing so it acts like an automatic weapon with a slow rate of fire if the trigger is held down.  The Modifier button aims down sights to zoom in to the equivalent of a 2x scope.

The Reload button releases short range, low damage, wide area of effect “Gravity Wave” that knocks back proximate objects, players, vehicles, and grenades.  It does not consume ammo but has a short cooldown after use.

Beam Rifle

This projectile weapon is equipped with a variable 4x/8x scope.  While scoped in, the Reload button activates a scan that highlights any visible enemies but causes the weapon to glow while doing so.  The weapon’s battery will quickly overheat if fired twice in rapid succession.  Shots can pass through multiple players with no reduction in damage.

Gravity bow sounds interesting, not a huge fan of that target finder on the Beam Rifle tho.

Why do you people make weapon suggestions on here and at least not on halos twitter? Maybe your suggestions will idk be looked at? 

5 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Why do you people make weapon suggestions on here and at least not on halos twitter? Maybe your suggestions will idk be looked at? 

Would you rather discuss ideas with people that have a similar interest and know what they're talking about or would you want to scream at a wall and compete with the average /r/halo tard for attention?

• Like (+1) 6

How would you feel about the Missile Pod being reclassified as Equipment so you wouldn’t have to sacrifice your gun, grenade, and melee while wielding it?  Like some kind of shoulder mounted mini turret.

_DSC2831.jpg

7 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I've always held this opinion, but I can almost guarantee you some 343 staff read this site. It's the largest competitive community that gathers at one place, it's a community they have directly marketed to for their last 3.5ish major titles (taking over Reach, 4, MCC, and 5).

They don't necessarily interact, but they're definitely reading.

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Would you rather discuss ideas with people that have a similar interest and know what they're talking about or would you want to scream at a wall and compete with the average /r/halo tard for attention?

Compete with the average “tard” attention, that way my idea has a possibility(although alright) of occurring. Why discuss all these weapon differences and niches “only” here? What so you can feel good about yourself? 

6 hours ago, Silos said:

I've always held this opinion, but I can almost guarantee you some 343 staff read this site. It's the largest competitive community that gathers at one place, it's a community they have directly marketed to for their last 3.5ish major titles (taking over Reach, 4, MCC, and 5).

They don't necessarily interact, but they're definitely reading.

I highly doubt that, 343 hates this site mate. They come here once in a blue moon and no unyshek or bravo don’t count because although they work for 343 they don’t have that power to get something implemented. Also largest competitive community are you for real?  This forum is full of ce or die people, 343 ain’t making a game for them😂

• Salt (-1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I highly doubt that, 343 hates this site mate. They come here once in a blue moon and no unyshek or bravo don’t count because although they work for 343 they don’t have that power to get something implemented. Also largest competitive community are you for real?  This forum is full of ce or die people, 343 ain’t making a game for them😂

Name me a larger online competitive Halo community with people who are actually relevant in any way. Beyond is essentially the successor of the MLG forums from back in the day. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

What things would you change about Halo?

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What things would you change about Halo?

I’m not the person to ask since I don’t have anything specific. I don’t like this idea of niche weapons tbh. I think it creates a reason for me not to pick this weapon up. Maybe it’s a mcc ce thing but I rarely feel a need or want to use the other weapons. The pistol is all I need to use. 

I’d remove all abilities and sprint.if need be in order to stay somewhat new or modern(a term many use when referring to advanced movement) then keep thruster or sprint(nerfed sprint aka cant sprint unless 100% hp/shield), thruster isn’t welcomed alongside sprint.

11 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I’m not the person to ask since I don’t have anything specific. I don’t like this idea of niche weapons tbh. I think it creates a reason for me not to pick this weapon up. Maybe it’s a mcc ce thing but I rarely feel a need or want to use the other weapons. The pistol is all I need to use. 

I’d remove all abilities and sprint.if need be in order to stay somewhat new or modern(a term many use when referring to advanced movement) then keep thruster or sprint(nerfed sprint aka cant sprint unless 100% hp/shield), thruster isn’t welcomed alongside sprint.

What do you mean exactly by niche weapons?

Yes, the Pistol is the only weapon you NEED to use but it shouldn’t be the only weapon you DO use.

What would you think about making movement enhancers into on map pick ups?  Everyone starts out with a decently fast base movement speed and the ability to pull of sick strafes and things like Thruster are found on the map.

33 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What do you mean exactly by niche weapons?

Yes, the Pistol is the only weapon you NEED to use but it shouldn’t be the only weapon you DO use.

What would you think about making movement enhancers into on map pick ups?  Everyone starts out with a decently fast base movement speed and the ability to pull of sick strafes and things like Thruster are found on the map.

That's a hard no. If sprintslideclamberthrust is part of the sandbox in any way, then map design remains compromised.

And seeing as the main selling point of "advanced movement" in Halo 5 is that it is usable at all times by all players, I can't see the r/halo kids of the world being satisfied by such a decision either. So this would be a move that pleases nobody.

• Upvote (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

That's a hard no. If sprintslideclamberthrust is part of the sandbox in any way, then map design remains compromised.

And seeing as the main selling point of "advanced movement" in Halo 5 is that it is usable at all times by all players, I can't see the r/halo kids of the world being satisfied by such a decision either. So this would be a move that pleases nobody.

When movement enhancers aren’t base traits, each map can be designed with specific Equipment in mind.  One map is enhanced by Thruster.  One map is enhanced by Jetpack.  Map design isn’t compromised.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

When movement enhancers aren’t base traits, each map can be designed with specific Equipment in mind.  One map is enhanced by Thruster.  One map is enhanced by Jetpack.  Map design isn’t compromised.

No map is enhanced by thruster. All thruster does is piss people off. Putting three shots into a guy and then having him thrust back around the corner once he realizes he can't win is infuriating. Some people will abuse it further and just thrust out of a vulnerable position the minute anyone shoots them.

As for the jetpack, that thing flat out broke a lot of the maps in Reach, and I can't recall an instance where it made anything more enjoyable. Sword Base was a map designed specifically for the jetpack and it was a bust. One of the worst maps in Halo history. I can only assume that Abandon from Halo 4 (another shit map) was also meant to encourage use of the jetpack, because that map was a cunt to navigate and make effective pushes on without it. I don't think anyone out there is clamoring for more maps like those.

• Like (+1) 3

Movement enhancement should be a setting in custom menu. It should be relegated and excluded to Action Sack tier matches and custom games. Make alpha zombies have it in infection and shit. Dont try to force ERRYthing into the MAIN sandbox. There can literally just be side shit that you play with alternatively outside of the "oH my gOd balance this ShIt" recreation. Dont force feed everything into the main loop. Thats what they fucking did for 5. Here we are. Maps need to be utility. There cant be main maps that are conditioned for weird obscure niches. Thats what forge is for.

• Like (+1) 2

Lmao there’s a I said sprint only but nerfed as hell. You’re right that most wouldn’t want my version of sprint. 

A map pick up such as thruster or JP actually isn’t a bad idea, as it could be like equipment. Equipment unlike AA/SA changed map design where equipment did not.  

7 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

No map is enhanced by thruster. All thruster does is piss people off. Putting three shots into a guy and then having him thrust back around the corner once he realizes he can't win is infuriating. Some people will abuse it further and just thrust out of a vulnerable position the minute anyone shoots them.

As for the jetpack, that thing flat out broke a lot of the maps in Reach, and I can't recall an instance where it made anything more enjoyable. Sword Base was a map designed specifically for the jetpack and it was a bust. One of the worst maps in Halo history. I can only assume that Abandon from Halo 4 (another shit map) was also meant to encourage use of the jetpack, because that map was a cunt to navigate and make effective pushes on without it. I don't think anyone out there is clamoring for more maps like those.

Thruster has left a bad taste in your mouth.  I get that.  If I had to play games where everyone spawned with Camo or rockets, I would probably begin to hate those things too.  But there’s a difference between all players thrusting all the time and one player thrusting some of the time.

Thruster infuriating you is a good thing.  It means it’s working.  Don’t want to be infuriated?  Secure it for yourself.  If you let your enemy earn an advantage, you can’t be too upset when they use it.

Thruster can act as the key that unlocks new routes for the user, for example, allowing him to cross gaps too large to jump across.    It’s not just for avoiding certain death.  It changes the map for the user.  He has options other players do not.  That’s how I think these movement enhancing pick ups should work ideally.  They provide additional paths for the user.  Allow him to attack from an unexpected angle or cross an area quicker than expected.

As for the Jetpack, I would turn it into a jump pack / Jetpack hybrid where the user could choose to activate a single, quick, upward boost, like a vertical thrust, instead of slowly flying all the way up into the sky.  I think this type of movement enhancement would be much better suited to arena gameplay.  What do you think?

• Like (+1) 1