CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Well that was an entertaining morning of Twitter

What a surprise, Spartan is crying on twitter on getting handed L's left and right, and water is wet lol.

I wish twitter existed from 2004-2008, would have been hilarious.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Playing to 30 kills instead of 50 kills when playing 2v2 team slayer in Halo 1 would eliminate the possibility for momentum shifts and comebacks especially on a fast pace map like Derelict. I have seen some 2v2 team slayer games on Derelict end in under 7 min.

While 15-20 min games is the norm when playing 2v2 team slayer on a map like Damnation it is still possible for 2v2 team slayer games on Damnation to end in under 10 min.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H1 is not viewer friendly in any capacity

The biggest issue to following the game is the lack of hud elements.  Add in game hud elements that show the current score, time, etc and it become a lot easier to follow.  Those things need to be in-game otherwise you have to add them to the overlay which can make the game video be smaller and the whole space a lot more cluttered. Would fix a lot of problems from the viewer-side.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I would love them to come back but its a bit of wishful thinking. Some thoughts I have on it is that the score limit should be played till 50. Like cloud said there are major swings and it's more than just dere. Priz and Hang Em can have huge ones too. Imagine if Midship Slayer went till 30. I mean the gameplay doesn't exactly change but how many major runs were there at the 40 kill mark?

It is possible for Halo CE to have updated elements but we need the source code to make this stuff possible. I can't even begin to explain the number of hurdles that were overcome to get as far as we did. At one point in time, we thought we were hard-limited to 13 maps without the source code till @Relyx figured it out.

We now have a timer on screen. As far as I know, there is no way to get the score up on the score on the hud but again Relyx figured out how to get it on the stream overlay. It's honestly insane how much progress we made on this game without the code. I mean it wasn't until Beach LAN 5 did we add a black screen with a 3-second countdown ensuring both teams loaded in at the same time.

Spawns are definitely tricky but is something that I think the commentary helps with and something I think split-screen helps with. I think only having two POVs would help the casual viewer or the viewer who isn't super experienced with CE. Once again though with all four PoV's displayed I still have no issue following. Sure, I am more experienced with the game but there are numerous times on stream where it's like 1:45 and Hard Way or Knighty will tell you to watch for "Player X on Bottom Right screen to try and contest the camo rockets" That statement alone takes a few seconds yet directs you to the next 20 seconds of action.

Each year I ask these questions and hope to get some good feedback. I'm sure it's hard for me to relate to someone watching it for the first time, and am sure it can be a bit overwhelming. I like to think we're taking some good steps to make it more viewer friendly. I really feel the commentary helps more than anything.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ah, I see spartan went from whining/self pity attention seeking posts to randomly starting beef on twitter and losing.

Such a shame, man was on the up and up too. I think the worst thing is the apology after, you know it's inevitable. If you're gonna start shit, own it tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The thing that dampens CE for me is still the spawning. I know the CE community views it as being a point of skill, but even in MCC MM, spawning into the middle of a firefight is infuriating and completely out of my control.

Also, H2 > all

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing that dampens CE for me is still the spawning. I know the CE community views it as being a point of skill, but even in MCC MM, spawning into the middle of a firefight is infuriating and completely out of my control.

Also, H2 > all

Spawning in the middle of a firefight is always out of your control. The difference is that in CE it IS 100% in your partner’s control while in later Halos it isn’t.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Also, H2 > all

H2 will always be GOAT, they literally just need to return to that system, it was just so good

• Upvote (+1) 1

Also, H2 > all

It's hard for me to take your criticism of Halo 1's spawn system seriously when you most likely don't have a nuanced understanding of how Halo 1's spawn system functions and your criticism is coming from a place of ignorance. I'm going to post some informative links for Halo 1's spawn system that I highly recommend for you to utilize as learning tools so that you can make a more informed opinion on Halo 1's spawn system.

Also Halo 1 takes the cake when analyzing the original trilogy from a competitive merit perspective.

• Upvote (+1) 6

CE's spawn system is cool for 2v2s but let's not pretend that 4v4, FFA and BTB isnt a major clusterfuck and can be extremely frustrating due to the spawn system.

• Upvote (+1) 9

snip

This is all fine and dandy when you're in a competitive game and your teammates know this, but if you're just trying to hop in 4v4 CE MM I think his point is somewhat valid.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Let’s get some predictions after they post pool groups tomorrow

Any idea whey they are posting pools?

CE's spawn system is cool for 2v2s but let's not pretend that 4v4, FFA and BTB is a major clusterfuck and can be extremely due to the spawn system.

This is all fine and dandy when you're in a competitive game and your teammates know this, but if you're just trying to hop in 4v4 CE MM I think his point is somewhat valid.

I thought that @@Frostbite XV2 was talking about Halo 1's spawn system in the context of 2v2 team slayer because before that people were talking about what is currently holding Halo 1 back from being a viewer friendly game for esports/competitive play. Not only do people rarely play FFA, 3v3, 4v4, and 8v8 at Halo 1 LAN's due to those formats not being as competitively viable as 2v2 team slayer but also because it's not as logistically easy to play those formats at Halo 1 LANs as it is to play 2v2 at Halo 1 LANs.

While Halo 1's spawn system isn't ideal for FFA, 3v3, 4v4, and BTB I can still tolerate playing Halo 1 in those formats. What allows me to tolerate playing Halo 1 in formats outside of 2v2 is it's weapon sandbox, power-ups, melee mechanics, grenade mechanics, grenade tricks, static item spawn system, button glitches, being able to quick camo, and maps. To me those aspects of Halo 1 that I listed greatly outweighs any flaws that Halo 1's spawn system has when playing the game in formats outside of 2v2 team slayer.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The split screen aspect kills it for me. It's hard to focus on multiple screens at once, however it is almost necessary to see both players' POVs to see thing live giving spawns etc. Speaking of which, the spawn system being such a huge part of the game while being 100% invisible doesn't help either. Lastly stuff like score and timers on the HUD, adding animations for throwing grenades when walking (and better animations in general) would make it way easier to watch (the 1080p resolution on MCC helps a lot already). A functioning CEA multiplayer could have provided all of this back in 2011, but sadly Frankie was too scared of hurting the Halo Reach population.

There's a small but fun community of folks who still play MCC pretty seriously, and watching the twitch streams from a single POV is always a blast. I agree that split screen is too much for a casual viewer to process. But on the other hand, H1 has a much cleaner and simpler look, feel and set of gameplay mechanics. I think by confining the broadcast to one view at a time, H1 goes from the hardest Halo to spectate to the easiest.

And the thing is, even if it were a little harder to follow, H1 is entirely worth it for the plays that get made. 3 shots, double melees and fast snipes look and feel so powerful. Fancy grenade tricks are also very easy to call out, and are great for ooh's and ah's. It's just really hard to match the raw feeling of 'god damn, this guy is in _control_ of this game' that you get in H1. Honestly, I think the only places where we've even come close were H2 2007 Final Boss vs Carbon, and the way some of the current H5 gods can poop on you (Tox, Shotzzy, Renegod, etc.).

Even if you take all the heady bs about competitiveness away, the reason people really come to spectate people playing FPS's is to get that feeling of owning people vicariously. That's what you want to optimize for.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I would love them to come back but its a bit of wishful thinking. Some thoughts I have on it is that the score limit should be played till 50. Like cloud said there are major swings and it's more than just dere. Priz and Hang Em can have huge ones too. Imagine if Midship Slayer went till 30. I mean the gameplay doesn't exactly change but how many major runs were there at the 40 kill mark?

;)

Somehow TOX and Splyce will end up in the same pool

With Splyce's performance online, i wouldn't be surprised.  Do we know how much they are taking last season into account?  Obviously if that has any bearing on seeding then there is no way that they should be in the same pool or even same side of the bracket.

CE's spawn system is cool for 2v2s but let's not pretend that 4v4, FFA and BTB is a major clusterfuck and can be extremely due to the spawn system.

This is true.  There is A LOT to process in just 2v2 when it comes to spawn manipulation.  Each person you add raises the number of option geometrically so by the time you get to 4v4 it can be a total clusterfuck.

I'll say this, competitively the CE spawn system is definitely better for 2v2.  But it also probably the biggest barrier to entry for new players now.  Not back in the day mind you, when everybody had the opportunity to learn it from scratch at the same time.  But in MCC, one of the reasons its hard for new and casual players is becuase when you face off against a team that has a slightly better understanding of the spawn system even if their gunskill is the same, you get wrecked.  Its a jarring experience for sure.  This wouldn't be a problem if you had a lot of people searching in the CE playlists, but that just won't be the case unfortunately. Combine the spawn system with jump delay, long swap time on weapons and very fast item spawns and it makes its tough for newbies.  Not because any of those things are tough to understand/compensate for, but because it is in such stark contrast to other halo games that its an uncomfortable experience for noobs that unfortunately they will not take the time to get over.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Holy fucking ghandi looks different lmai, I remember seeing at events, looks like a different human now

Anyone see the Ninja drama saying Drake used him?

I looked this up because I'm a sucker for drama. Seems like it's entirely taken out of context just to be dramatic and get a clickbaity title. He didn't say Drake used him, he just said Drake saw an opportunity to reach out to an untapped market. I'm not sure how legitimate that is, because let's be honest. Drake's huge. Personally I think he just wanted to game. However Ninja has a huge following and regularly gets 100,000 viewers a day, so if Drake saw it and used it as a business opportunity that's smart. Which is what Ninja was saying.

This is just another reason it sort of sucks that Ninja's bigger now. Witch-hunts everywhere, tons of stupid "Ninja reacts to" video's, the  replies on his twitter posts are always taken advantage of and never about the content he posted. Legitimate 11 year olds in his chat. Literally pay to chat etc etc

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ninja is delusional and bratty as always, what an unbelievably stupid comment. Its's DRAKE. He doesn't need to strategize for exposure by playing with popular video game streamers.

It's like he is never happy with anything. He makes a million a month and still finds ways to complain.

"Is he gonna buy my next line of Ninja merch? ‘Or my Ninja headband? Probably not."

Generally I try to be a fan but every month or so Ninja says something ridiculous like this.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Ninja is delusional and bratty as always, what an unbelievably stupid comment. Its's DRAKE. He doesn't need to strategize for exposure by playing with popular video game streamers.

It's like he is never happy with anything. He makes a million a month and still finds ways to complain.

"Is he gonna buy my next line of Ninja merch? ‘Or my Ninja headband? Probably not."

Homie put the haterade down for like 3 seconds and really look at the situation and what you just said lmao.
  • Upvote (+1) 7

Generally I try to be a fan but every month or so Ninja says something ridiculous like this.

accidental neg. I agree for the most part.
  • Upvote (+1) 1