CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I found the editing horrible, but this seems to be the style for Halo montages now. I don't know why editors feel a need to speed up every single moment in between kills. I lose the feeling that I'm actually watching real gameplay - the context is lost. I get it in certain situations but it's done constantly now. That, along with the overused slow mo on the kills, creates a very staggered and jarring viewing experience. Just my opinion, clearly some people must like it if they keep making them like that.

Simplicity is the hallmark of design. Which is not a hallmark in current Halo montage editing. Entirely agree. To me, most suck, visually. There's rarely just a simple collection of kills on various maps to music. It's either obnoxious or pretentious effects/editing, oooooor jarring and mind numbing speed ups or slowdowns. Shit sucks.

I found the editing horrible, but this seems to be the style for Halo montages now. I don't know why editors feel a need to speed up every single moment in between kills. I lose the feeling that I'm actually watching real gameplay - the context is lost. I get it in certain situations but it's done constantly now. That, along with the overused slow mo on the kills, creates a very staggered and jarring viewing experience. Just my opinion, clearly some people must like it if they keep making them like that.

Simplicity is the hallmark of design. Which is not a hallmark in current Halo montage editing. Entirely agree. To me, most suck, visually. There's rarely just a simple collection of kills on various maps to music. It's either obnoxious or pretentious effects/editing, oooooor jarring and mind numbing speed ups or slowdowns. Shit sucks.

I get not liking the speed ups/slow downs, but to be so strongly against them is weird to me. To match the clips to the music so well you need to have the slow downs and speed ups.

Here's a montage with literally nothing but great Halo 1 clips, if you want music you can play a song of your choice in the background. If I understand correctly, you'd prefer this to Ogre 2's montage? I'm not judging if you do prefer it, I just think you'll always be the minority in this case.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I get not liking the speed ups/slow downs, but to be so strongly against them is weird to me. To match the clips to the music so well you need to have the slow downs and speed ups.

Here's a montage with literally nothing but great Halo 1 clips, if you want music you can play a song of your choice in the background. If I understand correctly, you'd prefer this to Ogre 2's montage?

Kinda. And I was specific in saying mind numbing for a reason. Using them to sync to a musical beat is one thing, since you can generally feel it coming if you have a sense of rhythm. But I've seen so many people use speed as a means to keep up a nonsensical pace to no beat in particular. Those are also montages that tend to have no musical flow or rhythm to them. But that's another issue.

Personally, I like that montage. Just simple clips. Without music. It's fine. I'm not saying I like it only, necessarily. But I just hate the extreme of obnoxious editing that I see becoming commonplace, now.

Kinda. And I was specific in saying mind numbing for a reason. Using them to sync to a musical beat is one thing, since you can generally feel it coming if you have a sense of rhythm. But I've seen so many people use speed as a means to keep up a nonsensical pace to no beat in particular. Those are also montages that tend to have no musical flow or rhythm to them. But that's another issue.

Personally, I like that montage. Just simple clips. Without music. It's fine. I'm not saying I like it only, necessarily. But I just hate the extreme of obnoxious editing that I see becoming commonplace, now.

Yes I totally agree. And not enough montages nowadays make use of changing the music tempo up and using the in-game sound effects to really make clips unique and poignant like Hyena does so well in his montages this one being a perfect example Its just like some dub-step with super sped up over-edited game clips and lights flashing every time the player lands an average head-shot. It just makes it so there is no personality or flow to montages like that all the clips blur together and you just feel like your sensories just got assaulted at the end of the video similar to how my stomach feels after I eat a Big Mac. In a game like Halo CE, there is more going on than just head-shots with all the meta-game I would like to see more editors showcase the "story" of the clip not just highlighting the ending.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As good as Ogre 2 is at Halo CE, Snipetality is equally as good at editing. Constantly amazed at the montages he puts out.

*Boots up MCC*

I also booted up MCC and for some reasond did not regret it whatsoever and had a great time.

They won 3/5 before Orlando, getting 2nd to Optic at the remaining 2, and won 3/3 before Columbus & Worlds.

Now they've placed 3rd/4th, top 8(with a sub), & top 8. The first one they lost to RNG(who lost the finals) and the other ones they lost to Rec who went on to place 2nd and 1st.

Yea sounds like splyce might not get that top 1 spot if their online performance has anything to do with their LAN performance. Then again if they are on addy only on lan that is a factor too, not saying they are or anything  :kappa:

Do only 2 teams from each pool advance? Elevate's top 4 seed really screwed them over as they face both splyce and the top EU team in their pool.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do only 2 teams from each pool advance? Elevate's top 4 seed really screwed them over as they face both splyce and the top EU team in their pool.

Pretty sure that was only for worlds for regular tournaments it’s top 2 go to WB and bottom 2 start in LB.

Apparently Lux are back in pools?

They shouldn't, they're the #9 seed right now and were only in the top 8(over Splyce) between the second and third 2K's. From what I'm seeing they might replace Trifecta? How the hell would that work? "Hey, Ryanoob, your team has always had more pro points than Lux, but you're out, they're in"?

That montage brought me back to middle school. 

They chose a really bad weekend for the tournament.

The World Cup is not something you want to clash with.

Im not too sure how overlapping those crowds are, soccer is not very popular in the US, and thats where the majority of the viewership is coming from. However, I do feel bad for our UK counterparts who will 100% be watching the world cup, but its being broadcast at 9am eastern US, not fighting for the same time block.

They chose a really bad weekend for the tournament.

The World Cup is not something you want to clash with.

I don't think they intentionally choose to clash or not clash with anything else that's happening after watching what the HCS team does for the last couple years. They probably don't even know when they're doing most things until its basically happening and it is no longer a choice

• Upvote (+1) 1

Final pools for NOLA

idKR2qK.png

The open teams will be the top 4 from the open winners bracket

No teams will be eliminated through pool play

1st and 2nd go to champs winner bracket R1

M1dRmbn.png

4th place is sent to losers bracket R1, where the will meat the top 4 from open losers bracket

3rd place is sent to Losers bracket R2

here's hoping we get to see ryanoob v spartan for some juicy drama at some point after pools

Wish I could smasht the up vote button 100 times

@@RyaNoob please, if you beat spartan, throw a walmart ring at him, I would die

• Upvote (+1) 2

I miss when groups were announced like this

whats sad is that without the cringey voice-over and and "metal" music, it was a really slick video

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe it’s just me but am I the only one who thinks that Anz/Latam should have to play through open instead of just being handed a champ spot? I mean at least for EU you could kinda justify it since the old infused squad managed to place top 6/8 at one point.