CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

While I agree wholeheartedly that Slayer needs to be looked at as a whole, what do we replace it with? We don't have a round based mode like SnD because they removed breakout (although I suppose you could tweak it and attempt to bring it back). So is CTF the new final map mode? Then all of a sudden Ball/Strongholds becomes a hell of a lot more important.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, but there needs to be a plan in place if it were to be removed.

Really simple, replace all Slayer gametypes with Strongholds on Empire. CTF Coli game 1. Strongholds Empire game 2. Strongholds Empire game 3. Strongholds Eden game 4. Strongholds Empire game 5.

That seems like a really well rounded series. Honestly, who needs Slayer when series like that are possible?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Crazy to see R6 hit over 100k on twitch right now. From seeing when it released around H5 to now, happy to see their success. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Purely competitive game (that is fun to play at most levels) built with a long term strategy to release content, monetize and drive viewership to events with collectables. Big orgs flocking into the scene and more money will as well.

It's crazy when you look at the arc of their pro scene, as they started with basically no history and are now becoming a major player with successful teams from multiple regions. Halo 5 is so frustrating in retrospect when looking at how well Siege has grown because they've been so successful on so many of the little things. 343 had a built in audience to start with and failed on so many levels with no plan for content/monetization after year one, a complete failure in org relations and locking themselves in with ESL for so long who were incapable/unwilling to grow the scene.

Also @@Timo is working on Siege now so I hope he is doing well.

Couldn't agree more.  Halo's audience has continued to shrink while Siege's has continued to grow.  I love Siege and I'm happy to see it's success, but I'm even more sad to see just how little people are interested in Halo now.  I used to play in a war sim community with over 300 active members each week.  Nowadays literally 100 percent of that community has moved on to Siege, Destiny, and Overwatch.  Not a single one of those people still plays Halo and it makes me so sad.

While I agree wholeheartedly that Slayer needs to be looked at as a whole, what do we replace it with?  We don't have a round based mode like SnD because they removed breakout (although I suppose you could tweak it and attempt to bring it back).  So is CTF the new final map mode?  Then all of a sudden Ball/Strongholds becomes a hell of a lot more important.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, but there needs to be a plan in place if it were to be removed. 

It's probably too late in H5 to do anything about TS, but in H6 I'd like to see it cut down to 2-3 TS maps and only use them for last game of a series (Or remove them completely and use Strongholds for that role). IMO Halo has bomb, ball, CTF, KOTH, Strongholds, and Extraction all as viable gametypes (provided they get the attention of a full gametype and not a tacked on DLC). It just depends on what style of Halo we have. Classic Halo we can use more Ball/KOTH/CTF/Bomb to fill the gaps, Modern Halo we can use more CTF/Extraction/Strongholds.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd rather they just fix slayer. Zero reason to just remove a gametype without even trying to address its flaws. You'd think someone would try to do something about the down time where the main reason you keep contesting the team with weapons at some point is so that they don't still have them on the next power up/weapon cycle. People slow play often but eventually something has to give so the guy with rockets doesn't just walk away with camo/os 1-2 mins later. Power weapons being too strong/too easy compared to the primary and everything being on a long respawn is what creates minutes (sometimes) of not much happening

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's probably too late in H5 to do anything about TS, but in H6 I'd like to see it cut down to 2-3 TS maps and only use them for last game of a series (Or remove them completely and use Strongholds for that role). IMO Halo has bomb, ball, CTF, KOTH, Strongholds, and Extraction all as viable gametypes (provided they get the attention of a full gametype and not a tacked on DLC). It just depends on what style of Halo we have. Classic Halo we can use more Ball/KOTH/CTF/Bomb to fill the gaps, Modern Halo we can use more CTF/Extraction/Strongholds.

Yea I know it's not happening this game, I just mean in general.  I feel like CTF is kind of "the" Halo mode so seeing that in the TS slot would be solid with the control/ball style modes being the fillers. 

I'd rather they just fix slayer. Zero reason to just remove a gametype without even trying to address its flaws. You'd think someone would try to do something about the down time where the main reason you keep contesting the team with weapons at some point is so that they don't still have them on the next power up/weapon cycle. People slow play often but eventually something has to give so the guy with rockets doesn't just walk away with camo/os 1-2 mins later. Power weapons being too strong/too easy compared to the primary and everything being on a long respawn is what creates minutes (sometimes) of not much happening

Even if they “fix” slayer- there’s no reason it should make up ~60% of the gametypes in a series.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Even if they “fix” slayer- there’s no reason it should make up ~60% of the gametypes in a series.

Where do you get 60%? In a 5-game series, TS is game 2 and game 5. It can only make up 25-40% of a series.

This percentage is slightly higher for a 7 game series, but still only maxes out at 43% of the games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why do we need slayer as its own gametype considering killing is integral in objective game types anyway.

CTF. Gotta slay people to grab the flag and make a run.

Oddball. Gotta slay people to keep control of the ball.

KOTH. Gotta slay people to keep them off the hill or to secure the hill.

Strongholds. Gotta slay people while capturing a stronghold or to stop them from capturing one.

While I agree wholeheartedly that Slayer needs to be looked at as a whole, what do we replace it with?  We don't have a round based mode like SnD because they removed breakout (although I suppose you could tweak it and attempt to bring it back).  So is CTF the new final map mode?  Then all of a sudden Ball/Strongholds becomes a hell of a lot more important.

I think Elimination would be a good replacement for Slayer. It's honestly what Breakout should of been from the start of H5.

Just give slayer an objective and it's fixed

So.... CTF or SH. OR an elongated Breakout. None of which sound any better than just making more and better OBJ gametypes and map setups.

Memes aside it already does have them for some reason we just slowed the respawn on everything down so much post CE that its dysfunctional. CE was basically just a slowed down console version of Quake as far as running weapons/power ups went. You'd want to take a route through the map picking up stronger weapons and buffing yourself with camo/os except now the timer is 2-3 mins depending on what we're talking about rather than 1 min power ups or snipes basically always being up etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where do you get 60%? In a 5-game series, TS is game 2 and game 5. It can only make up 25-40% of a series.

This percentage is slightly higher for a 7 game series, but still only maxes out at 43% of the games.

i was being sarcastic. slayer's way too pivotal in a series outcome though. ESPECIALLY when they go the distance.

strongholds feels like slayer with an objective to me

Give slayer faster respawns and remove or reduce the frequency of power weapons and it would be alright. I'm always down to bring breakout back I'm one of the few who actually liked it but I know that will never happen.

I can definately see why people dislike slayer in its current form and completely agree it needs to be dropped in frequency in the series to last game only.

To really make slayer work competitively i feel it needs to get away from the same power up timers etc as the objective modes.  I think someone mentioned it above but CE had 1 min timers forcing map movement which would make it much more entertaining to watch.  A number of other things would need to change as well such as less ammo and shorter power up times (how long they last).  

Even then im still not sure it would work in H5 due to maps and movement, would be worth a try though.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

So they removed GP and SC. Now they just need to remove sprint, slide, clamber, thrust,and auto stabilize. Then they need to replace all the maps, rework the melee system, fix whatever the hell they did with the aiming system, fix the sniper, make the pistol not sound like a water gun and we might have a decent game.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Does anyone remember what pros thought of arena breakout? (Like on the normal maps) I’m guessing it’s the same dislike as normal breakout, but can’t remember what they said.

Just remove slayer competely. Add assault, extraction, oddball and maybe ricochet or something new. Slayers are boring to watch and play. The best moments in h5 are usually in CTF games.

Give slayer faster respawns and remove or reduce the frequency of power weapons and it would be alright. I'm always down to bring breakout back I'm one of the few who actually liked it but I know that will never happen.

This seems backwards...  Less stuff but more often.  Staggered spawns on items so every minute something else is coming up on a different part of the map. Delayed starting item spawns on asyms.

I still woudl rather see slayer just taken out, but if they won't it could certainly be improved.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Remember when the sniper would spawn every 30 seconds because it was so hard to use and so reliably contested by the utility weapon that it wasn’t even considered a power weapon? Pepridge farms remembers.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Does anyone remember what pros thought of arena breakout? (Like on the normal maps) I’m guessing it’s the same dislike as normal breakout, but can’t remember what they said.

When Arena Breakout first case out, with AR/magnum loadouts, it didn’t work well because the teamshot meta + full shields + no respawns meant it was impossible to comeback once a team was down a man.

That why they changed the loadout to shotguns- to give players a 1HK weapon capable of playing out of a hole ala Gears of War. But it’s the H5 shotgun, so lol.

I’d be interested to see how breakout would play with a true CE magnum as the starting weapons

• Upvote (+1) 2