CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is all conjecture based on my personal experience with corporate culture.

this is all very plausible, I just wonder though how unhappy MS was insofar as H5 sales + REQ sales were actually very good (at least according to various sources iirc)?  obviously player retention is a bit crap, but yeah. 

I would be very happily surprised if MS finally said "enough" after 343 messed up the H5 launch; I guess that means that only a year or so of work would be lost (and could maybe be repurposed for the new engine)

waiting is lame but I'd definitely be happy with a completely fixed MCC on PC/XB1 and an amazing/polished H6 with classic gameplay and a 2019 beta

The project had to have been scrapped. We should have been getting a new Halo this year. 

no doubt. i think the new engine was already a thing but after the backlash to h5 and the declining player base, they have to be heading in a new direction with the game. remember frankie had said previously that h6 would be built off h5, but it seems like they finally saw that the current direction just will not work going forward

The project had to have been scrapped. We should have been getting a new Halo this year.

Building a new engine is a huge undertaking, it's not surprising that it'll take longer than usual for the game to release.

• Upvote (+1) 1

h1 was only halo with an inhouse engine... hmm

No?

Edit: I assume you mean the only Halo with custom made physics, then yes, but all Halo's used inhouse engines.

No?

Edit: I assume you mean the only Halo with custom made physics, then yes, but all Halo's used inhouse engines.

right, it's own physics compared to h2, h3 and reach using havok. 

right, it's own physics compared to h2, h3 and reach using havok. 

Which was the right time to switch over to Havok, as by that stage I believe it was the best 3D physics engine out there(as in used by many games), and PhysX(which for example Unity & UE4 uses, you can plug&play another one(custom or not) into UE4, idk about Unity, haven't used it extensively) was most likely in its infancy.

Now, I didn't work in game dev 14+ years ago so I'm only going by assumptions.

I'd say XBox One being a shit system is a larger contributing factor to Halo 5's population than anything about Halo 5's gameplay is.

then why are other games popular on xbox?

why are rainbow 6 and battlefield more popular , on xbox, than halo 5?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Building a new engine is a huge undertaking, it's not surprising that it'll take longer than usual for the game to release.

Wasn’t Halo 3 a new engine? Still released in the 3 year window.

To be fair, devs were much less concerned with post-launch support in 04. Plus, the Halo team at Bungie tripled in size or something crazy during H3's production

As far as I know it was just a modified version of Bungie’s internal engine. Pretty sure Destiny uses a modified version of the engine they used for Halo too.

Someone could come in and prove this all wrong but the internet is pretty good at giving out the correct information when someone gives out the wrong information initially.

Yes, but it's a fairly "recent" development. 

soooo...we are halfway through june and 1 month to new orleans and there still is no word on the online play that was to supposed to have started. any updates @@Tashi?

I don't think there is going to be any online play at this point.

Just ruined my day

doesnt mean they didnt work on h6 before they decided to do a new engine. Could easily have been "this engine isnt letting us do what we envision/the shareholders want, we need a new one" 6months+ into it

For those looking to play in tournaments, our new Halo 5 ones are live!

• Upvote (+1) 6

then why are other games popular on xbox?

why are rainbow 6 and battlefield more popular , on xbox, than halo 5?

Because more people play them.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Because more people play them.

If Xbox one sales were Halo5s biggest problem, it would still be more popular, on Xbox, than other shooters.

More people wouldn’t be playing them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We don’t need a new Halo we just need MCC fixed. Idk about you guys but I could play a fixed H2/H3 for the rest of my sorry life.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

We don’t need a new Halo we just need MCC fixed. Idk about you guys but I could play a fixed H2/H3 for the rest of my sorry life.

Or both.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO MASTER CHIEF

• Upvote (+1) 2