CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Scorpio and One X are the same thing, but it's just an upgraded version of the Xbox One, not an entirely new system. It's like the incremental performance boosts they achieved with the 360 Slim, Xbox One S, etc. It's just a small performance increase in the same gen box. It was designed to keep up with the new display tech coming out for graphics, however, Halo is most definitely going to release on the next gen console. Why not bundle your most storied exclusive with a new console? I'd be surprised if it didn't cross-over with current gen and PC, but well 343 is often surprising me in the worst ways. 

Frank O'connor already confirmed that Infinite is a current generation game. 

JNJKtWT.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4

Frank O'connor already confirmed that Infinite is a current generation game. 

JNJKtWT.jpg

Thank goodness!! I wasn’t feeling the need to buy next gernation yet, especially because this current generation has lacked on the game front big time. Possibly the worst generation for xbox as far as game count/quality goes.

Scorpio and One X are the same thing, but it's just an upgraded version of the Xbox One, not an entirely new system. It's like the incremental performance boosts they achieved with the 360 Slim, Xbox One S, etc. It's just a small performance increase in the same gen box. It was designed to keep up with the new display tech coming out for graphics, however, Halo is most definitely going to release on the next gen console. Why not bundle your most storied exclusive with a new console? I'd be surprised if it didn't cross-over with current gen and PC, but well 343 is often surprising me in the worst ways. 

The X is anything but incremental. From a hardware standpoint it's a more significant upgrade than the 360 to the One. The way microsoft is handling it is what makes it seem incremental, when what they should be doing is encouraging developers to increase graphical fidelity over just resolution bumping the standard Xbox one version of the game. I realize that comes with its own set of problems, but the original Xbox One is holding the X way way back and it's extremely frustrating.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The X is anything but incremental. From a hardware standpoint it's a more significant upgrade than the 360 to the One. The way microsoft is handling it is what makes it seem incremental, when what they should be doing is encouraging developers to increase graphical fidelity over just resolution bumping the standard Xbox one version of the game. I realize that comes with its own set of problems, but the original Xbox One is holding the X way way back and it's extremely frustrating.

No, its up to the devs.  Microsoft has said publicly that however developers want to use the extra power of the X is up to them, it just needs to work with both systems.  Its really not much different at all from what devs already do with PC games, other than the fact that they only have to worry about 2 hardware configurations instead of dozens/hundreds so its still easier.  And i guess what do you even mean by "increase graphical fidelity"?  Thats what most devs are doing.  Many are giving options for higher res textures and higher overall resolution (increase fidelity, hence my confusion why you're saying they aren't doing that) or "performance mode" that shoots for higher framerates.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 4 launched a year before the xbox one was released so this is entirely feasible.

Thank goodness!! I wasn’t feeling the need to buy next gernation yet, especially because this current generation has lacked on the game front big time. Possibly the worst generation for xbox as far as game count/quality goes.

i mean they are working on new xbox hardware but youre right that theres no real reason for the 1x at this point. im going to be disappointed if consoles go the way of phones and you are expected to replace them every 2-3 years

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean for a smaller org, $2000 is a lot, but considering that Mikwen was on nV, probably the second richest org in Halo...

Do you think NV would make 100k off of Halo over the course of a year? Because that'd be the approximate cost to pay the salaries. That doesn't include flights, hotels, gear, etc. The answer is "no." Until Halo is a source of real sponsorship or viewership money, it's a financial pit.

I think that true console "Generations" are basically over and we are going to be getting new consoles every 3-4 years as more iterative upgrades than true new generations. Xbox 2 will come out, xbox one s stops production, One X becomes the new "Standard", Xbox 2 is "next gen" but not really because it will basically be the OneX with Ryzen, Vega and more memory.  Still x86, still just modified "off the shelf" parts, Still Windows 10 core.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If only I knew how good I had it back in 2008 when I got my first 360. Those were the days. Buy a console, it lasts almost a decade. Buy a game, no need to download and install 25 GB patches day one, just pop in the disk and let's go. Slick UI, no need to jump through hoops just to invite someone to a game. Party chat worked reliably, Xbox Live was rarely down and the exclusives games were amazing (not just talking Halo). Nowadays? Lol, I legit feel stupid for owning an Xbox One. Total dust collector and already obsolete after 3-4 years. There are some interesting parallels between the downfall of Halo and Xbox as a whole.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If only I knew how good I had it back in 2008 when I got my first 360. Those were the days. Buy a console, it lasts almost a decade. Buy a game, no need to download and install 25 GB patches day one, just pop in the disk and let's go. Slick UI, no need to jump through hoops just to invite someone to a game. Party chat worked reliably, Xbox Live was rarely down and the exclusives games were amazing (not just talking Halo). Nowadays? Lol, I legit feel stupid for owning an Xbox One. Total dust collector and already obsolete after 3-4 years. There are some interesting parallels between the downfall of Halo and Xbox as a whole.

the xbox 360 blades menu is still the best interface xbox has ever had

• Upvote (+1) 5

Also, I ended up on a team with Neptune yesterday. I'm high plat, low diamond at best. I get that search times are gonna be awful if the game matches just champs vs. champs but it's pretty annoying that we all had to get clapped because the average skill on the other team is greater than the average skill on my team.

It's also annoying that he was trying to teamkill me and my friend when he realized that we weren't onyx/Champ either. :lxthul:

Also, I ended up on a team with Neptune yesterday. I'm high plat, low diamond at best. I get that search times are gonna be awful if the game matches just champs vs. champs but it's pretty annoying that we all had to get clapped because the average skill on the other team is greater than the average skill on my team.

It's also annoying that he was trying to teamkill me and my friend when he realized that we weren't onyx/Champ either. :lxthul:

Im D3 right now, I literally play with a pro on my team every other game, its insane. Also, I won 16 games in a row yesterday.... ended up with 25 CSR for that, went negative in 1 game where I went 22-15-25 with 2 flag caps. I lost my last game of the night and lost 15 CSR......................................................................................  What is this shit lmao. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you remember halo 2?? That UI was actually amazing when the friends list lived in the game itself.... Why they dont bring that GOD TIER system back is beyond me. Also, clans in game would be so amazing again, I loved that and I know it was super popular.

There are some interesting parallels between the downfall of Halo and Xbox as a whole.

I'd say XBox One being a shit system is a larger contributing factor to Halo 5's population than anything about Halo 5's gameplay is.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 5

I matched Neptune while solo q and my team made him quit out and Im currently D3 atm

• Upvote (+1) 1

Not to mention basically everyone you knew in real life also owned a 360, and played Halo. I still have real life friends on this platform, but I'm basically the only person who still gives a shit about Halo. Compare that to CE and Halo 2 when pretty much every single dude I knew in real life not only played Halo, but also enjoyed it so much we'd get together for a LAN almost every weekend. Or Halo 3, when even though it was competing with CoD4, it was still insanely popular. Nowadays when I mention Halo to my friends they always refer to it in the past tense, as if there hasn't been a new game since 2007, and in many ways they're right.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Proper information for me

Thanks for the correction!

I still think it will release on this gen and the next gen, whenever that shit comes out.

No, its up to the devs.  Microsoft has said publicly that however developers want to use the extra power of the X is up to them, it just needs to work with both systems.  Its really not much different at all from what devs already do with PC games, other than the fact that they only have to worry about 2 hardware configurations instead of dozens/hundreds so its still easier.  And i guess what do you even mean by "increase graphical fidelity"?  Thats what most devs are doing.  Many are giving options for higher res textures and higher overall resolution (increase fidelity, hence my confusion why you're saying they aren't doing that) or "performance mode" that shoots for higher framerates.

Yes devs, especially 3rd party devs have decided to do a range of things, including increase fidelity, which I was using to refer to improved antialiasing, draw distance, textures, reflections, frame rate, pretty much everything that makes the game look better overall whereas resolution really just sharpens whats already there. But among their 1st party studios pretty much the only offering has been a resolution and texture bump with HDR support. The coalition did not add an option to play campaign at standard resolution and 60fps for example. Almost no one has offered a real feature bump on the X either. 

Yes devs, especially 3rd party devs have decided to do a range of things, including increase fidelity, which I was using to refer to improved antialiasing, draw distance, textures, reflections, frame rate, pretty much everything that makes the game look better overall whereas resolution really just sharpens whats already there. But among their 1st party studios pretty much the only offering has been a resolution and texture bump with HDR support. The coalition did not add an option to play campaign at standard resolution and 60fps for example. Almost no one has offered a real feature bump on the X either. 

OK, i see what you are saying.  I will say though that the games that were "Enhanced for the One X" were all done so after the fact, not as a launch feature.  Their primary work on those games was already done and they're working on other projects so picking the low hanging fruit is the way to go.  Sea of Thieves doesn't count because of that cartoony style, there isn't much fidelity to add there.  I want to see how more first party new releases handle it.  I don't see how being first party or third party would make a difference though except in the opposite direction.  Microsoft would of course want their own studios to push the hardware.  There is simply no reason not the push the X version as far as you can regardless.

Where’d you hear this?

BBK Dragoon brought it up in a few videos over the past couple of months, then I proceeded to do some searching myself and found some articles. I'll try to find and post them if I can. Also, it does make sense chronologically. 343 is still hiring, but is teasing a game? After widespread work on H5 realistically stopped around early 2016? Again though, this can be attributed to building an engine too.

What was his theory?

That H6 was halfway through development and was then scrapped for a (hopefully) more classic styled game. 

That said, the extended break could also be very well due to the SlipSpace engine.Building game engines from scratch are costly and incredibly time consuming. That's why most devs just iterate on their engines instead of developing new ones. DICE has used 4-5 different versions of the Frostbite engine, but a lot of the groundwork will be shared between BFV and the original Bad Company because of this. CoD is the same way, pretty sure they've just been iterating off the '99 Doom engine.

I'd say XBox One being a shit system is a larger contributing factor to Halo 5's population than anything about Halo 5's gameplay is.

Ehhh I think its pretty safe to say that isn't quite true since H5 gets crushed on just Xbox population lists. Sure every game would have more players if the install base was 40% larger but H5 in relation to its competition would still not really be worth talking about

• Upvote (+1) 4

Gaming as a whole is way bigger nowadays and I'm pretty sure the install base at H5's launch exceeded the 360s install base when H3 launched quite significantly. And yet H3 had at least 10x the population of H5. IMO this is 100% the gameplay and lack of content, plus of course people were not too keep on buying H5 in the first place as a result of H4 and MCC sucking so much. Inb4 the 343 defense squad shows up and tells us Halo 3 had no competition.

• Upvote (+1) 2