CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

There is really no reason for any of these guys to stay in Halo if they have the ability to get good at another game. I love Halo but the entire scene is artificially inflated by 343 at the moment and orgs that were paying good salaries have largely left the scene.

Limited events, lack of/lower salaries, really no viewership to stream to and no momentum towards anything that will bring in a lot of viewers.

I guess the way for us to finally achieve this was to lose so many players that the playlists didn't have a high population to keep both.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Ground Pound and Spartan Charge should be kept as movement options in HCS while still performing no damage.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

With the potential time gap,we need Halo doc.

What happened to that reality tv series?

With the potential time gap,we need Halo doc.

Someone convince Hitch to do it

• Upvote (+1) 1

A H5 event in New Orleans Louisiana?

Yes. New Orleans, Louisiana. LA is how Louisiana is abbreviated. No idea what that became a big thing in the last five years or so, but it's stuck for sure.

Ground Pound and Spartan Charge should be kept as movement options in HCS while still performing no damage.

They weren't removed because they did too much damage, they were literally removed because they enabled game-breaking movement. So no, I have to disagree with you here. Games are paced much better without them. 

What we really need is a new game ... with no cheese that has to be removed three years in ...

• Upvote (+1) 7

Good God it took them this long... 3 years of blog posts and smart remarks about why things are the way they are and then they change it

You know we say this a lot over here, but hearing it from a pro is just depressing

• Upvote (+1) 9

I wonder if teams would have better luck finding orgs without the EU open LAN. Like if that LAN was at the beginning of H5 I doubt it would be a problem, but at this point to pay for that trip, it may almost be scaring orgs away.

Or maybe it's just H5 in general.

I wonder if teams would have better luck finding orgs without the EU open LAN. Like if that LAN was at the beginning of H5 I doubt it would be a problem, but at this point to pay for that trip, it may almost be scaring orgs away.

Or maybe it's just H5 in general.

London is covered.

Nobody wants to touch H5, it does them more harm than good to have a Halo team.

• Upvote (+1) 8

You know we say this alot over here, but hearing it from a pro is just depressing

I wanna know what the pro players think can be done about it and if they feel like we should play something other than H5. Its fun enough to talk about on the forums but their opinions could be what helps to shape where we go when this season is over

London is covered.

Nobody wants to touch H5, it does them more harm than good to have a Halo team.

Because of finance or branding.

You know we say this alot over here, but hearing it from a pro is just depressing

The blame falls on 343/ESL and the pros themselves. ESL slowly but surely ran the competitive scene into the ground with god awful tournaments. 343 released a mediocre game and had no one running the show who had any idea or any power to do anything to stop the rot. The pro's chop and change teams without a thought, don't stream, don't promote sponsors and don't have built in audiences to justify the cost.

The pro's are the least to blame of those 3, but orgs aren't going to pay salaries for a game with no viewership and an extremely volatile pro scene.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I'll tell you right now this part hardly affect their decision making in a team. Team stability matters to some orgs, but overall they're competitive too and want the best team possible to bring trophies to the organization, it's a good selling point for them to investors/sponsorships.

Orgs go for 3 things usually.

Viewership, Quality of Tournaments, Quality of Game(s)

If they enjoy the game they're in, they'll take the hit.

If the tournaments are good there's potential in growth.

Sponsors pay them for viewership numbers on tournament streams far more than they do individual players wearing their headphones on a twitch stream. Which was a huge issue because half of Halo 5 we weren't allowed to wear our SPONSORED headphones on stage, because ESL wouldn't allow us to wear anything but Astros.

Now if a player built his own brand and had that following would that help? Sure, but it comes down to the actual HCS at a certain point. Look at so many games Halo still actually out performs, for the most part, that has good organizations in it still.

Also it doesn't help salaries got inflated about 125% from H2A with the first worlds and put orgs in shit spots early on. 

For transparency, I went from 750 a month in H2A, to 1500 a month in H5, and that slowly climbed to about 2000 a month. 

Things went in the right direction, it was just too late for orgs cause they have the taste of shit down their throats.

What do you think would turn things around? Other than just waiting out the year or two for the next big game. Since you guys do have a pretty good looking stage with MLG its not like everything is going wrong just... most of it is 

Salaries probably need to drop back down to a reasonable price, or Halo players need to create their own team brands going into the next game.

We're seriously thinking about the latter.

Also, the longer things look better, the more appealing it will become again.

As a viewer I did kind of like the old team names and stuff a little more because it felt more personal to just Halo in general. If you guys can secure sponsors and a following it would have to be nice owning your own brand/platform

• Upvote (+1) 5