CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

snip

I appreciate your sentiment and agree with many things you said. My overall feeling is that Halo cannot be completely resurrected. It can be successful, but there's almost nothing that could be done to make Halo as relevant as it was 10 years ago. Whether it's solely due to the last 3 games released, or (more likely) it's a combination of what the last 3 games were and the overall gaming market, the reality is that Halo doesn't have a shot at being a top dog. 

The biggest step that 343 can take is releasing H6 on PC, which seems to be the plan. IMO, that's a far more meaningful move than having H6 be a "classic" Halo or even having a solid campaign. If you're not on PC and/or multi-platform, you will have permanently limited relevance. 

From a competitive side, returning to classic gameplay obviously has a lot of benefit, and I think the competitive scene could be revived greatly from a mostly classic game. But I don't think going back to its roots would make a significant difference overall in the resurrection of Halo. Most of the people that I knew who played a lot of Halo a decade ago (including myself) weren't actually playing competitively. They were just playing the most successful and popular social multiplayer experience at the time. These guys have moved on to other social multiplayer games, aka Fortnite, which is a social multiplayer experience, as opposed to a heavily competitive one. The average gamer will always lean towards ease and accessibility, and the flavor of the year is battle royale.

Looking back, I actually think Warzone was kind of a success, and cursed due to being developed too early. Warzone remains one of the top played playlists in H5, despite people loving to complain about it, and is the closest thing Halo has ever had to a BR mode, and it released a full 2 years before BR took off in the mainstream.  The fact that it's so popular within H5, and that it released before BR took off, is a reason that I actually think 343 is not as incompetent as is often claimed. 

What I want to see from Halo 6 is 343 taking a risk on the delivery of the game. Splitting up the MP and SP experience could allow them to maximize both and show that they're able to deliver in a new era of gaming. The idea of a split SP/MP game isn't even new for Halo (H3: ODST), but would've been unthinkable in the past for the main Halo release. Now it can be a viable option. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Looking back, I actually think Warzone was kind of a success, and cursed due to being developed too early. Warzone remains one of the top played playlists in H5, despite people loving to complain about it, and is the closest thing Halo has ever had to a BR mode, and it released a full 2 years before BR took off in the mainstream.  The fact that it's so popular within H5, and that it released before BR took off, is a reason that I actually think 343 is not as incompetent as is often claimed. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5923602

• Upvote (+1) 7

IGN is an xbox shill

Yeah, the company whos executive editor recently had to make this tweet is an xbox shill:

:lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wishful thinking but I hope 343 wait a few more years on halo 6 and instead give us something similar to reach(not gameplay wise) Something without chief but is still a mainline halo game that takes place between h2 and h3 so it has a classic style and gives them at least 2 years extra on h6. 

EDIT: 

If there is a 5 year gap between H5 and H6 they better have something for us to play for the time being. I'd like to see H3A or something.

I appreciate your sentiment and agree with many things you said. My overall feeling is that Halo cannot be completely resurrected. It can be successful, but there's almost nothing that could be done to make Halo as relevant as it was 10 years ago. Whether it's solely due to the last 3 games released, or (more likely) it's a combination of what the last 3 games were and the overall gaming market, the reality is that Halo doesn't have a shot at being a top dog.

The biggest step that 343 can take is releasing H6 on PC, which seems to be the plan. IMO, that's a far more meaningful move than having H6 be a "classic" Halo or even having a solid campaign. If you're not on PC and/or multi-platform, you will have permanently limited relevance.

From a competitive side, returning to classic gameplay obviously has a lot of benefit, and I think the competitive scene could be revived greatly from a mostly classic game. But I don't think going back to its roots would make a significant difference overall in the resurrection of Halo. Most of the people that I knew who played a lot of Halo a decade ago (including myself) weren't actually playing competitively. They were just playing the most successful and popular social multiplayer experience at the time. These guys have moved on to other social multiplayer games, aka Fortnite, which is a social multiplayer experience, as opposed to a heavily competitive one. The average gamer will always lean towards ease and accessibility, and the flavor of the year is battle royale.

Looking back, I actually think Warzone was kind of a success, and cursed due to being developed too early. Warzone remains one of the top played playlists in H5, despite people loving to complain about it, and is the closest thing Halo has ever had to a BR mode, and it released a full 2 years before BR took off in the mainstream. The fact that it's so popular within H5, and that it released before BR took off, is a reason that I actually think 343 is not as incompetent as is often claimed.

What I want to see from Halo 6 is 343 taking a risk on the delivery of the game. Splitting up the MP and SP experience could allow them to maximize both and show that they're able to deliver in a new era of gaming. The idea of a split SP/MP game isn't even new for Halo (H3: ODST), but would've been unthinkable in the past for the main Halo release. Now it can be a viable option.

anything can be resurrected...

if rainbow 6 can make a comeback there's really no reason Halo can't.

343 needs to understand what made halo great in the first place - use that as a foundation. then actually work to improve weaknesses in the original formula rather than try to throw shit ideas at a wall to see what sticks. then they need to incorporate modern social engineering in a way that actually makes sense.

great games sell, even in franchises that were thought dead.

a competitively viable Halo is also casual friendly. that was the beauty of CE. you just run, shoot, and throw grenades. cut all the fat and Halo is easier and more accessible than fortnite by a long shot.

fortnite's key strength is its social engineering - which an area halo use to pioneer but now languishes due to a bevy of decisions that failed to capitalize on inherent strengths and some that are outright regressions.

• Upvote (+1) 7

anything can be resurrected...

if rainbow 6 can make a comeback there's really no reason Halo can't.

343 needs to understand what made halo great in the first place - use that as a foundation. then actually work to improve weaknesses in the original formula rather than try to throw shit ideas at a wall to see what sticks. then they need to incorporate modern social engineering in a way that actually makes sense.

great games sell, even in franchises that were thought dead.

a competitively viable Halo is also casual friendly. that was the beauty of CE. you just run, shoot, and throw grenades. cut all the fat and Halo is easier and more accessible than fortnite by a long shot.

Do you think 343 has the necessary skills to bring Halo back? It all comes down to their ability as a company.

I would love to see Halo great again so I will keep hoping.

Imagine this:

The screen fades from black and shows the camera panning over a beautiful blood gulch skyline, complete with the Halo ring and original CE graphics.

The original Halo theme begins a gradual crescendo.

As the camera pans, it begins to look down on two players, surrounded by a quickly enclosing circle of Flood Spore forms.

One player is hiding at the top of red base while the other circles the base looking to collect his 20th kill of the game.

The player on top of the base, who, by the way, looks picturesque with his black undersuit, drops down behind the player on the ground, thinking he has easily outplayed the other.

It's obvious. He has the high ground.

Then. All of a sudden. 

The player on the ground quickly, and without use of a thruster pack jumps behind the player who just left his superior positioning and embarrasses him with a perfectly executed ninja.

Then, the most sinister yet celebratory Jeff Steitzer voiceover blares through the speakers: "COMBAT ROYYYYYALLEE"

This is the only acceptable intro to a battle royale mode. Anything else is a disservice to everything we are as a community. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Do you think 343 has the necessary skills to bring Halo back? It all comes down to their ability as a company.

I would love to see Halo great again so I will keep hoping.

You might already be thinking this, but it's more up to the head of 343 and their heads at Microsoft. They dictate the time and resources and in console gaming the trend seems to be hype up a game, live off the first few months of sales and start working on something else. Whoever at the top that decided to go back and do the MCC right, hopefully this guy is still around and he gives me hope. 

How many of you guys think that H6 will look similar to H5, even if the gameplay is somehow different?

How many of you guys think that H6 will look similar to H5, even if the gameplay is somehow different?

Man I hope not. Next to gameplay mechanics and map design, the art style 343 has chosen to go with is one of my biggest gripes with them. Say what you will about Halo Reach, but that game was absolutely beautiful. I hope they tone down their art design, I've had enough of this overly harsh, plastic looking brand of Halo. Less is more.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If they gave me a "back to the roots" Halo in the form of an ODST Battle Royale I'd be happy. Between that, and MCC; I'll be content with the Halo I love. I haven't been a fan of the changes of Halo for a long time. Once H6 news hits, I'm assuming there will officially be more Halo games I dislike than I like; at some point you have to move on. 

Honestly, if the announcement isn't classic Halo I think I might be done with the game. I have no interest in a BR mode. I'd rather just play Fortnite. I also highly doubt the longevity of a BR Halo mode.

I really hope it's on PC. Competitive console gaming is not the future.

I don't really want to play another version of H5 for 5 years. The competitive scene is dying while other games are growing significantly. It took 343 way too long to make the correct changes and if they come out with H5 2.0, I have no trust that they will make the game people want.

Sorry to be so negative, just wanted to share my thoughts before E3. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

*Last four. Reach did a huge amount of damage too.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo Online pulled in 13,000 at its peak in less than 4 days after the 0.6 release, and that was with no mainstream marketing by Microsoft or 343. The number of people playing with mics who said that this was their first time playing Halo and having fun since Reach was insane. It showed that there is a market for classic Halo and that this market is likely larger or at least comparable to the people who like the new mechanics. Even these casuals who defend sprint and SA’s want the old artstyle, sound design, playable elites, etc. and I doubt they’d stop playing Halo if 343 did away with the new mechanics. Imagine if Halo Online had continued development adding more maps, matchmaking, ranks and all with Microsoft support. I don’t doubt that it woulf have put Halo back on the radar.

However, Halo Online is just a slightly better Halo 3 (imo) and I know I’m not alone in just wanting something new, but Halo. Halo 5 was the golden opportunity to do that, but they screwd that up. If they don’t capitalize with Halo 6, its obvious 343 is either stubborn, blind, incompetent, or all the above.

Three things

1) H4 and H5 have similar style so that's not good when considering the outcome of H6

2) The internet is plastered with meme's and rants about 343's art style. Even the more 343 friendly Halo Reddit. Maybe, just maybe they take notice?

3) H2A had good art style 

That is 2 positives vs one negative - So good art style in H6 confirmed