CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Grasping at straws here, but E3 is soon and I'm excited. Anyway, Tashi is going to be at E3. I feel like most people agree Halo will be announced, but to have a competitive focused employee be there? Interesting times.

Can't wait for them to announce the 5 million prize pool for the Halo: Battle Royale 2019 World Championship followed by a Pro League ran by... ESL :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I remember some kind of Halo esports announcement at e3. 

Yes, it was.

No it wasn't.

Gamescom 2015 was the $1,000,000 HWC reveal.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just moved across the country a few days ago. Set up my xbox in the most ghetto way possible.

Got refuge flag as my first game.....thinking I might start a new life here without halo. Holy balls this is bad.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2018/06/08/halo-6-what-to-expect-from-microsoft-at-e3/#176dc25b5649

"The Halo franchise isn't in a great spot, overall. Neither halo 4 nor halo 5 were universally well-received, and the overall perception is that the series has struggled under 343 industries and it hasn't commanded primacy in the shooter world for years. The current battle royale trend doesn't really help that: there was a time when Halo was the game that dominated the online multiplayer conversation, but that was a long time ago. halo 6 has its work cut out for it, but that doesn't mean it won't succeed. Microsoft needs a win on this one."

Can't really argue with any point they made.

Can't really argue with any point they made.

Agreed its good to see some media shed light on this, instead of just IGN saying how great we're doing with our flourishing league 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just let me know when forge maps and oddball will be removed from the HCS playlist. I thought Team Arena was intended to test these the competitiveness of various maps and settings, but that system must have failed if they permitted such horrible modes.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Just let me know when forge maps and oddball will be removed from the HCS playlist. I thought Team Arena was intended to test these the competitiveness of various maps and settings, but that system must have failed if they permitted such horrible modes.

A handful of pros tested these, and this is what they picked...

I actually like all the HCS additions.

Yeah I don't  really understand the bitching, nor have I seen any details for said bitching. 

The oddball gametypes can seem a little mindless and frantic like Empire Strongholds but that is just H5 I think. Sanctuary will probably be a nightmare to play against a really good team that will fly at you and slay you out and setup for the next spawn and round of kills within 3 seconds... but once again that is just H5.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I actually like the new maps. Slayer on Sanc and Oddball on the other were great fun the few times I’ve played them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

A handful of pros tested these, and this is what they picked...

They picked this because they were only given content by certain folks at Forgehub. The amount of competitive maps that were tested and ran through the ringer were triple the amount of suggestions they were given. Not only that, but it's been proven time and time again that the opinions of Halo professionals are shakily constructed and mostly lean on nostalgia and stagnant design.

The only map out of the final line-up that actually has a smidgen of decent design is Echelon, and it only accomplishes that small check mark because it's a combination of room based geometry with an outer area that allows more free-form jungle gym shit that requires less clambering. Oddball thrives on design similar to that, as well as bridgework & tower design maps like Lockout and Guardian.

The irony is that the next map, Fissure, has Guardian-like qualities, but they're only sprinkled in the middle of the map while the rest of it is jumbled in fat symmetric hold-out bases players take turns collapsing on in exactly the same amount of ways. You're at a perpetual state of funneling into these open hallways with firefights that make you wanna snore, with the only consensus of going to the middle being an Overshield that spawns in the bottom room.

Don't get me started on the Sanctuary remake.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1