CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Whats funny for me is how pissed off people have been with their rankings this season and how low they are. Yet im over here enjoying it bcs im actually ranked higher then I was the previous seasons. I think the last 3-4 seasons I would place low to mid plat. This season I pretty much placed right below D1 and im now nearing D3 in HCS.

This is exactly how I feel, I’ve been stuck in what I referred to as the “plat hole,” always ranking mid plat and then never being able to move, especially with how often I solo queue. This season I ranked initially D1 and am contently sitting at D2, my matches have been much more consistent so overall I’m pretty happy with how trueskill is working out.

Nothing embarrassing about being an alpha-male that can literally cause betas to start shaking by being in their presence.

Settle down Mr Huxley.

Whats funny for me is how pissed off people have been with their rankings this season and how low they are. Yet im over here enjoying it bcs im actually ranked higher then I was the previous seasons. I think the last 3-4 seasons I would place low to mid plat. This season I pretty much placed right below D1 and im now nearing D3 in HCS.

I'm with you, usually sit mid to high platinum, now I'm diamond 2. I've also had the closest matches I've had in a long time while playing solo. I only played my ten placements though, haven't played any since and that probably a couple weeks ago.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I made it to D5 solo queuing yesterday and now Im back down to D3 today  :walshy:

• Upvote (+1) 1

Settle down Mr Huxley.

Im probably missing a reference here but why you gotta call me out like that?

No matter how perfect a ranking system is, quitters gunna quit. Unless people care enough about a strict penalty for quitting mid game, i really dont think they give a crap about ruining your game.

I made it to D5 solo queuing yesterday and now Im back down to D3 today  :walshy:

watching naded go up 2-4pts every game then losing one and going down 20+ is depressing as fuck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I understand the reasons for not making MMR readily visible to players in game, but there's no good reason for why we have to pester Menke on Twitter to get our graphs when they could be made available on Waypoint. The fact that Menke has made as many graphs as he has for players asking for them via Twitter shows how hard he works at staying engaged with the community and those who use his matchmaking system.

As someone who has to work long hours and deal with unreasonably angry people it brings a smile to my face seeing Menke flat out tell people they're not as good as they think they are without 343 PR trying to stop him.

@@Bad Dub werent you going to add that to HDH?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Delusional idiot who the AM community makes fun of, very passionate though I guess

That's a rude thing to say about a person and I want you to apologize.

Delusional idiot who the AM community makes fun of, very passionate though I guess

He's still a kid. No reason to call him an idiot.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I made it to top 500 na in Dota two days ago and now I'm back to top 700. Pretty proud of it honestly. Wait what was my point here.

go save eg please

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nothing embarrassing about being an alpha-male that can literally cause betas to start shaking by being in their presence.

Takedown may be the alpha of amateur competitors but Menke is the alpha of alphas. He's rumored to be the real man behind the mask. Spartan 117

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do people actually prefer The Rig over Regret and Fathom? If so, why? 

Do people actually prefer The Rig over Regret and Fathom? If so, why?

I personally prefer Regret TS over Rig TS. And on the topic of game modes, did people really like Echelon Ball??
  • Upvote (+1) 3

@@Bad Dub werent you going to add that to HDH?

Yeah I was attempting too, I need to calculate peoples CSR if they havent reached Onyx as CSR only becomes available in the API when you hit Onyx for some reason.

Also the only way to gather the games is to loop back through someones games until you reach a match thats not within the season start date.

I'm also currently not saving the CSR so the more games people play the longer the chart takes to generate.

It's 50% there.

• Upvote (+1) 3

At this point I really wonder why CSR and MMR are still two separate values. This separation has caused nothing but issues (the feeling of unfair matches especially) and they are now trying so hard to make CSR converge to MMR that is doesn't make sense to me to separate the values anymore.

In February of last year Menke used this argumentation for having them separated:

Why not show MMR all the time instead?

The main reason we don’t splash MMR all over is we reserve the right to use whatever information we can to update your MMR. This can include information that could potentially be unfair to use to update your CSR. We don’t do a lot of this right now, but I could see a world where MMR can be affected by, e.g., how you played in a completely different playlist. In that case, we update your MMR to a more accurate reflection of your current skill, but it would be unfair to de-rank you magically outside of you playing on that playlist. Showing an MMR that is this volatile would be confusing.CSR should be the most accurate measure of what you deserve to show as your Rank.

MMR should be the most accurate measure of where we should matchmake you right now. Those aren’t always the same, and don't always have the same rules of fairness that govern them.That said, I do also see a future where instead of directly showing the MMR that made the match, we could show some summarized version of your opponents' strength to give you a feel for why you were matched with them. For example, we could tell you that even though your opponents all look Diamond, they just played like Gold players, which matches up nicely with you being Gold.

But now that CSR will always and strongly converge towards MMR what is the point of separating them to begin with? If there's a new playlist and they use different playlists' MMR to estimate an initial rank (see his example) that would be used solely during placement matches anyways, where CSR is hidden to begin with. And by the time placement matches are done CSR will have converged towards MMR anyways. So what's the point of separating them?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I personally prefer Regret TS over Rig TS. And on the topic of game modes, did people really like Echelon Ball??

That's what everyone I've asked has been saying too lol. It probably should of been The Rig TS removed over Regret TS, but w/e. 

I personally haven't played Echelon Ball too much, but the spawns seem a little bit nuts sometimes with people spawning right next to me. 

That's what everyone I've asked has been saying too lol. It probably should of been The Rig TS removed over Regret TS, but w/e. 

Why would you ever remove an asymmetric gametype from a competitive playlist?

hcs18-2018-roadmap-1920x1080-cef74d32618

soooo its june...have we gotten any info about the online play leading up to new orleans?

• Upvote (+1) 3

hcs18-2018-roadmap-1920x1080-cef74d32618

soooo its june...have we gotten any info about the online play leading up to new orleans?

Wait, there's only 3 tournaments for the next 6 months?

Wait, there's only 3 tournaments for the next 6 months?

Yup.

I actually feel like we're in a worse sustainability spot than before. MLG LANs are great. I'm beating a dead horse though.

• Upvote (+1) 2