CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

-Snip-

NEVER SAW that post from the MCC update, but I am beyond fucking stoked for that. Man, actually aiming like H4/H2A in the other three Halos. They might be tolerable to play for once. Man.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yeah no offense but if we want this to look like a legitimate tournament for the start of the HCS Grassroots program, Legion and Joe Fries aren't the choice. They're funny but they don't give a flying fuck about what's happening on screen.

that's what wonderboy and heinz are for! designated observers are key

I am very excited to see a Halo 3 tournament but there is no chance I'm playing that game online competitively. Eric's video summed up the experience perfectly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ive honestly had very few issues with registration since I've hopped on h3 recently. Maybe I just have a good ping

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am very excited to see a Halo 3 tournament but there is no chance I'm playing that game online competitively. Eric's video summed up the experience perfectly.

Ive honestly had very few issues with registration since I've hopped on h3 recently. Maybe I just have a good ping

Where you from? Shekkles is from Aus like me and when he says grind he means it.... Getting a 45 in Lone Wolves was brutal. When you have yellow bar every single game and an automatic loss on swords it makes it pretty tricky / frustrating. So keen for some halo 3 but don't have an XBone so probably going to just hold out for Infinite and see what the lay of the land looks like.

Unrelated but @@Teapot, I'm part of one other gaming community (Red Alert 2, tragic) and I was just talking to a mate the other day who reckons he's integral in the running of and maybe even the creation of Beach Lan. His name is Frank, is there a Frank in the scene? 

Nwnj0cL.png

Not denying blood shots and ghost melees are feeling a little too often, but with ping like that, you should be expecting it lol

Just saw this, i have a lower ping to some US servers than him. What????? How?????

Ya it's all depended on the server. I've had some games feel close to LAN and others where my nades come out about 2 seconds after throwing them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So 343 gave UGC 30k for a 32 team 4v4 tournament. Probably not possible, but with us getting over 100 teams it would be nice to see them give another 70k to make the prize pool 100k. Would also give more h5 pros reason to grind.

100k should be the minimum at this point imo. 100k + crowdfunding would be awesome!

If they're changing things like aiming, there's no reason they can't just delete the spread from the BR. The game is still gonna be super inconsistent online, but at least with aiming fixes and no spread it will be a lot less so.

This is true, but i do think for this specific collection keeping the games feeling as OG as possible is the right move.  Integrating additional aiming options is one thing.  If people feel they want to play with the terrible original H3 aiming, they will still be free to do so. Getting rid of all spread would be forced on players and change the effective range of the BR to a significant enough of a degree it would change the way the game plays, which i don't think is a good thing for Halo 3 specifically (though  it would be fantastic for all games going forward). keeping the average spread amounts but making it non-random would keep the game playing the same by and large, but without the occasional frustrating inconsistencies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just saw this, i have a lower ping to some US servers than him. What????? How?????

Large parts of the US don't really have good options as far as ISP/pricing. In some places the infrastructure is so bad you can't get 40 up and down even if you're willing to pay almost anything

I can imagine its hard to justify throwing an additional 70K at an event that A) you will see no return on B) isnt really shifting copies of an old game and C) isnt a HCS event that you literally have nothing to do with iother than already giving a TO 30K for free.

I think the 30K is fine, maybe another 20K would be nice gesture from HCS but just throwing money at an event wont build up the scene. You dont know how the event will look on cam (remeber the sound meme last time) and it sets a bad precidence for people going forward because your telling TOs “get over 100 teams and will give you 100K”.

Another part to this for me is like worlds 2016, 2.5 Mill overinflated prize pool then drecreasing ever since, you have to start low and increase, not the other way around, this is clearly a passion project from both ugc and the community. Its awesome to see people are sinply going for the game and not the money.

Yeah, if the teams are high enough and the viewership is high enough for a low prize pool event it actually shows 343 that people will play classic halo simply for the love of the game. For a million dollars pro gamers will play any shitty game with whatever shitty settings you give them. If the prize pool is low and the pros still grind and compete it’s because they have a true passion for the game.

• Upvote (+1) 5

in the great U.S.of A we have to pay a premium to get normal ping times. If not they send us down the cheapest, often slower routes. Like how you have to pay more for a direct flight in most places.

Just came across the tweet from @@UGCmatt asking for volunteers. The chance to work for a TO again is too good to pass up. I filled out that application with a giant grin. I'll be making the drive from Ft. Riley KS regardless, but man, I'm giddy about the thought of being involved with this tournament.  And if they do an H1 side event? Please let me cast that thing!

I get to meet the legend Hard way :D

• Upvote (+1) 2

On casters: Legion and Joe Fries should only ever cast side events. They didn't even bother figuring out how to change POVs last time.

Yeah no offense but if we want this to look like a legitimate tournament for the start of the HCS Grassroots program, Legion and Joe Fries aren't the choice. They're funny but they don't give a flying fuck about what's happening on screen.

Yeah Fries and Legion are super funny duo but i dont think they should be casting this. More like interviews and such.

The last time Legion and Joe Fries casted a tournament, I said basically this same thing and had no voices of agreement at all.  What changed?

I think Legion would make a FANTASTIC event host, and Joe Fries a great floor interviewer.  They're both entertaining, especially together, and they both have a good rapport with the players within the scene.  I hope UGC does something along these lines.

It's not that I dislike their casting, either, it's just I feel their mood and approach to it aren't in line with what casting should be.  It's entertaining.  If we had a Halo WWE or a Halo XFL or anything along those lines, they'd be the perfect casting duo.

• Upvote (+1) 9

The last time Legion and Joe Fries casted a tournament, I said basically this same thing and had no voices of agreement at all.  What changed?

I think Legion would make a FANTASTIC event host, and Joe Fries a great floor interviewer.  They're both entertaining, especially together, and they both have a good rapport with the players within the scene.  I hope UGC does something along these lines.

It's not that I dislike their casting, either, it's just I feel their mood and approach to it aren't in line with what casting should be.  It's entertaining.  If we had a Halo WWE or a Halo XFL or anything along those lines, they'd be the perfect casting duo.

When the competitive ruleset changes to Fiesta Slayer to 200 kills, you know who to call.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can imagine its hard to justify throwing an additional 70K at an event that A) you will see no return on B) isnt really shifting copies of an old game and C) isnt a HCS event that you literally have nothing to do with iother than already giving a TO 30K for free.

I think the 30K is fine, maybe another 20K would be nice gesture from HCS but just throwing money at an event wont build up the scene. You dont know how the event will look on cam (remeber the sound meme last time) and it sets a bad precidence for people going forward because your telling TOs “get over 100 teams and will give you 100K”.

Another part to this for me is like worlds 2016, 2.5 Mill overinflated prize pool then drecreasing ever since, you have to start low and increase, not the other way around, this is clearly a passion project from both ugc and the community. Its awesome to see people are sinply going for the game and not the money.

Came in to say this EXACTLY. This event was so sought after by the community that a $30K prize pool was enough to justify the turnout. UGC have been doing a great job advertising and hyping up the event and I hope that shows in the production as well. As much as I love this community there is always a tendency to ask for more. I’m not saying don’t ask hard questions or request to see if things could improve or updated but let’s see how this event goes first before we get a six figure tournament. We don’t know if this is just the nostalgia hitting or if there’s an actual desire for more classic Halo events. I think an additional $20K should suffice because if the amount of teams but that’s the cap. People clearly were willing to compete for $30K when they sold out 96 passes. I know there’s a lot of excitement in the air but let’s also be reasonable about what the Grassroots program represents.

• Upvote (+1) 8

The last time Legion and Joe Fries casted a tournament, I said basically this same thing and had no voices of agreement at all. What changed?

I think Legion would make a FANTASTIC event host, and Joe Fries a great floor interviewer. They're both entertaining, especially together, and they both have a good rapport with the players within the scene. I hope UGC does something along these lines.

It's not that I dislike their casting, either, it's just I feel their mood and approach to it aren't in line with what casting should be. It's entertaining. If we had a Halo WWE or a Halo XFL or anything along those lines, they'd be the perfect casting duo.

I think Legion and Joe would do a fine job and clearly their tone is what UGC wants to strike for this event. I said it before on my stream but esports has become too stuffy in my opinion. We play video games and yet we’re wearing suits and ties. Why? Just because they do it in professional sports doesn’t mean we should do it in esports. I’m working an event for McLaren this weekend and they were very clear that they want to avoid the business attire and go the more casual route because our audience doesn’t care for all of that. There are moments that are appropriate for it (World Finals, OWL Finals, etc) but for an event like this it should be casual and that should also reflect in the commentary.

Yes, you should break down the game and yes you should get hype for the awesome plays but the in between moments should try to be just as entertaining as the game. The event should look to be a show rather than just another tournament. Honestly, this is where the broader esports industry is trending toward anyway. More and more companies don’t want the “traditional esports approach” and are more focused in delivering constant entertainment that speaks to the majority.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Where you from? Shekkles is from Aus like me and when he says grind he means it.... Getting a 45 in Lone Wolves was brutal. When you have yellow bar every single game and an automatic loss on swords it makes it pretty tricky / frustrating. So keen for some halo 3 but don't have an XBone so probably going to just hold out for Infinite and see what the lay of the land looks like.

Unrelated but @@Teapot, I'm part of one other gaming community (Red Alert 2, tragic) and I was just talking to a mate the other day who reckons he's integral in the running of and maybe even the creation of Beach Lan. His name is Frank, is there a Frank in the scene? 

Only Frank I know is a player near philly that goes named Cat and I think his first Beach LAN was 6. I think @@Riddler posted something a while back that some other game had a beach lan event so maybe it's that. Tons of people contribute in various ways but if it's not McDick who runs/hosts it or Devilman that basically makes sure the entire week runs smoothly than idk.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Only Frank I know is a player near philly that goes named Cat and I think his first Beach LAN was 6. I think @@Riddler posted something a while back that some other game had a beach lan event so maybe it's that. Tons of people contribute in various ways but if it's not McDick who runs/hosts it or Devilman that basically makes sure the entire week runs smoothly than idk.

not for halo and it wouldnt have been called beachlan; its called summit