FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Ever since the big August patch, H3 feels like LAN to me. My hit reg has been insanely good compared to 360 and pre-patch MCC. Feels like a different game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You realize that Halo 3 was still occasionally hitting the top 10 concurrent player lists on XBL well into Halo 4's life? When I was a kid I would log onto H3 and Team Slayer would have 65k or more players, easily over 100k on the weekends.

Call it trash all you want, online or off--people loved the game, and projectile physics, disconnects, and blood shots didn't stop people from playing it. The good outweighs the bad and the annoying.

Sooooooooo nostalgia is greater than improvement. Gotcha. Let's play the game for thousands of dollars and not fix bloodshots or bad aiming or spread or any other bad mechanic. You know what? Let's go back to P2p servers exclusively too. I mean people played back then fine so let's save the money dedis are costing and put it somewhere else. Oh and people played on 1Mbps internet so let's go back to that too.

It's 2018. We can improve on the shit that's just straight bad. We don't have to keep shit the same for no reason if the change is for the better. I mean really? Yikes.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

doesn't halo 5 also have garbage aiming? What makes you think they could fix h3s aiming even if they wanted to? Seems like they have yet to get good aiming down in general.

I mean I settle for an update that removes spread, that'd be fuckin awesome.

Add diagonal sense options and you could easily fix it. Halo 3's aiming will always be griddy, but the biggest issue is and always has been the diagonal. Shoots up to 10 when your sense might be 2-4. Makes aiming completely jank, lmao. Shit's garbage. And I don't think adding a new option for a different plane of turning would be hard. Same shit for other Halos. At least, the PC ports for HCE and H2 have some of the worst griddy aiming on the planet, with the WORST diagonal turn speeds. 

Until I can spin my reticle in a proper oval/circle like I can in H2A/H4/H5, the aiming will always be jank shit.

You realize that Halo 3 was still occasionally hitting the top 10 concurrent player lists on XBL well into Halo 4's life? When I was a kid I would log onto H3 and Team Slayer would have 65k or more players, easily over 100k on the weekends.

Call it trash all you want, online or off--people loved the game, and projectile physics, disconnects, and blood shots didn't stop people from playing it. The good outweighs the bad and the annoying. 

Nostalgia and popularity as a reason of stopping or protesting improvement. Interessssting.

But seriously, good doesn't outweigh the bad, nor does it mean it shouldn't be dealt with. 343i shot themselves in the foot with the "exactly as you remember it" tagline. They should've fixed Halo 3's broken ass mechanics, lol. It doesn't matter if people didn't stop playing, they're still terrible.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Quick question im hoping someone can help me out with. H3 has always been my favorite to play/watch, but i was too young to travel to event when they were actually going on. Now that i can, i want to go to the UGC event and was looking at passes. Does anyone know the difference between VIP pass and regular spectator pass? Of course there is one, but couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks!

4af66696c6063a4b0d5aa4041d22406f.png

I was one of those people. Doesnt mean the game can't be improved without destroying what I liked about it.

If they were to remove spread and add more aiming controls I fail to see what the downsides would be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ever since the big August patch, H3 feels like LAN to me. My hit reg has been insanely good compared to 360 and pre-patch MCC. Feels like a different game.

I really feel like a lot of people claiming the hit reg in MCC H3 is a disaster just don't remember what the general experience was like in 360 p2p H3. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely see dropped shots in MCC, but it's definitely not worse than OG. I would say it's a bit better overall (specifically I get way less instances of players eating a million shots as they strongside around corners - the dropped shots I tend to get are face-to-face midrange, but again, still not as bad as OG IMO).

What's absolutely not debatable is how much more consistent MCC is. Unless you get placed in a truly garbage server, every game feels pretty much the same. In the 360 days your shot would feel completely different based on the host's connection and you'd have to re-adjust during the first couple minutes of each game. And lord knows I've suffered through enough wonky yellow bar H3 games for one lifetime. MCC 2.0 is pretty consistently solid.

The two caveats I'll mention are snipe bloodshots - I swear I'm getting them a lot more often than OG - and OG when you pulled host. I rarely pulled host in 360 days, probably because of my bad upload at the time and being in Canada, but when I did it was basically LAN-lite. Just 4ing everything in sight like I had god's own aimbot. The difference in feel was just insane. MCC doesn't touch that, but obviously I was at a ridiculous advantage when that happened and I doubt it's possible to replicate that for every player with dedicated servers in a game that wasn't designed to work with them. So at the end of the day on the whole I'll gladly take MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 3

We need observer mode in MCC.

We can get in the weeds about which game is better, why one game sucks or one game is good - but without basic functions like an open API and an Observer mode, longevity is in the gutter.

Honestly have no idea why more people arent talking about this. Mind blowing.

Some users are too busy detailing the thread by regurgitating irrelevant 10 year old arguments about Halo 3's flaws, completely oblivious to how badly they are missing the point of going back to Halo 3, to focus on things which actually matter and could be worked on.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Exactly. Every game has flaws.

but my question is = who gives a shit what game we are on? If we dont have observer mode we are in the same terrible position no matter which title.

Observer mode = easier accessibility to produce higher quality events.

Easier accessibility to produce events = more events + more opportunities for players.

This should be priority #1.

If a custom browser was possible, I think this is too.

Double post:

We lobbied for this in Halo 5 and they gave it to us if you recall. Because they knew for the longevity of Halo 5 Esports this is something that needed to be done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree observer mode would be awesome, I don't think it's possible though for the scope, maybe H2A and H3. I would love to be proven wrong.

Let's assume it can be built though for fun. Obviously we need to be able to switch between players, anything else we would need? I can't imagine we would get player outlines or the ability to fly through the map.

I agree observer mode would be awesome, I don't think it's possible though for the scope, maybe H2A and H3. I would love to be proven wrong.

Let's assume it can be built though for fun. Obviously we need to be able to switch between players, anything else we would need? I can't imagine we would get player outlines or the ability to fly through the map.

I personally don't enjoy player outlines anyway. The Halo 5 observer mode seemed so cluttered to me but maybe a lot of that was there is a lot going on in the game in general. Even something really barebones would be a lot better than nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If a custom browser was possible, I think this is too.

Apples and oranges at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just something basic, they dont need to re-invent the wheel with it. Just the ability to cycle through POVs easily would be enough.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I am no developer, but I do remember a glitch in Halo 3 theater where you could cycle through other players first person POVs, instead of 3rd person only. It was all laggy and shitty, but still happened.

Wonder if they could make a modified version of the theater cycling system to create an observer mode // would need an "observer team" in custom games though as well.

• Upvote (+1) 5

100% fair point. The questions are: "What makes Halo, Halo?" and "Who decides what makes Halo, Halo?". In my mind, they're all Halo. Regardless of their differences, isn't Halo defined by the Studios who make and release a Halo game? If not, who decides? What gives them the authority?

Excellent point.

Just because Halo 1, 2 & 3 were developed first, doesn't mean that they are more legitimate or more defining of the name "Halo" than Halo Reach, 4, 2 Anniversary, and 5.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 13

Excellent point.

Just because Halo 1, 2 & 3 were developed first, doesn't mean that they are more legitimate or more defining of the name "Halo" than Halo Reach, 4, 2 Anniversary, and 5.

Then "halo" has no meaning and is just a nebulous franchise.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Sooooooooo nostalgia is greater than improvement. Gotcha. Let's play the game for thousands of dollars and not fix bloodshots or bad aiming or spread or any other bad mechanic. You know what? Let's go back to P2p servers exclusively too. I mean people played back then fine so let's save the money dedis are costing and put it somewhere else. Oh and people played on 1Mbps internet so let's go back to that too.

It's 2018. We can improve on the shit that's just straight bad. We don't have to keep shit the same for no reason if the change is for the better. I mean really? Yikes.

Nah, talking past each other. My point is only that quirks and inconsistencies don't stop people from enjoying the game, and that they're present in every game. It's unlikely that "the nostalgia will wear off" and people will suddenly realize that H3 is a terrible game, because it isn't. But by all means, please continue your forum activism.

Totally onboard with improving what's already good. Though on that front, especially with older games, it's not quite as easy as twiddling a bunch of knobs. I'll defer to the folks who actually work on the back end, but some of the things people are requesting would involve re-building huge parts of the game, and that's just not reasonable or practical. It was a huge deal in Halo 4 when 343i changed the game's architecture to allow them to tune individual traits of weapons--they did a whole E3 presentation on it. I don't know if changes at that resolution are even possible in H3.

• Upvote (+1) 9

i think youre confusing h3 with reach bruh. Halo 3 was 18-19 the first two weeks of halo 4 then it was below top 20. And even reach wasnt top 10 https://m.imgur.com/Zc87Z0f

This is a good analogy from r/Halo in regards to this question.

Imagine you've been driving a Hummer all your life, but one day it's stolen and lost for good. Your new insurance company offers a replacement, but when you get there, it's some flashy smart car.

"That's not a Hummer." you say. "Sure it is! Says so right on the hood." They say, "Take it for a test drive and find out for yourself."

You settle into the driver's seat, this definitely "does not feel like a Hummer." Doesn't handle like a Hummer, the engine doesn't roar like a Hummer, you can't fit your friends in the backseat, and it certainly doesn't share the same design principles of a Hummer. You point all of these things out, but they insist that it is, in fact a Hummer. It's got four wheels, a windshield, side mirrors and the Hummer brand is slapped on the hood.

Then they say you're just nostalgic for Hummers, so accept the fucking smart car you purist shill.

I feel like this is pertinent to the discussion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnC-6M-9CA&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote (+1) 1

Excellent point.

Dude, can you please just stop with this? We get it, you like newer Halo, but enough is enough.

• Upvote (+1) 4