CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is the end of year 3 of Halo 5 in a world where a free game has put up a $100 million prize pool across every platform known to man and the only player that tried to promote Halo through content is now making $10-20 million conservatively playing that game. There are only 8 players that are actually interesting to watch any more.

so your a fort nite fan, don’t get what that has to do with lunchbox, and fort nite makes money so let’s not say it’s “free” like they are just throwing 100 mill at a game that makes them no money, and lunchbox was one of the main reasons I watch halo 5

All those cryes for Fathom and Regret and I am here thinking I would kill myself if I had to watch the same shit again another's season. F I N A L L Y and good riddance. I hope the new stuff actually works and and we won't see all of it removed before the season starts :wutface:

• Upvote (+1) 4

the thrust and clamber saved his life so maybe he was serious. i think he is bullshitting, i enjoyed it the few times ive played that gametype despite the ridiculous spawn times and points

EDIT: nvm, he doesnt like learning new settings

• Upvote (+1) 2

Note that with the complete removal of Fathom and Regret we're bottom line only adding one map with this update. Not saying this is a bad move, but if they wanted to get more variety out of these changes then they shot themselves in the foot with that.

Also their stubbornness around changing the CTF respawn timer to 10s is hilarious. They'd rather make a completely new ruleset than fixing a glaring mistake that has been pointed out day one and all in defense of "unified settings". Makes no sense.

All in all good changes, I might actually watch some competitive H5 now and not tune out after two or three games because I'm bored. I hope 343 learns from this and H6 won't take over 2.5 years for competitive settings to finally reach a decent state.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Note that with the complete removal of Fathom and Regret we're bottom line only adding one map with this update. Not saying this is a bad move, but if they wanted to get more variety out of these changes then they shot themselves in the foot with that.

Also their stubbornness around changing the CTF respawn timer to 10s is hilarious. They'd rather make a completely new ruleset than fixing a glaring mistake that has been pointed out day one and all in defense of "unified settings". Makes no sense.

All in all good changes, I might actually watch some competitive H5 now and not tune out after two or three games because I'm bored. I hope 343 learns from this and H6 won't take over 2.5 years for competitive settings to finally reach a decent state.

Just trying to get back to the glory days of the 3 map H2A rotation.

What was meant to suck about that?

Or is he being sarcastic...?

I think sarcastic. If that happened in a tournament people would go crazy! Reminds me of Halo 3 days.

WHY THE HECK IT TOOK 2 YEARS TO HAVE ODDBALL IN HALO 5?  :stern:

The only thing surprising is Sunset Overdrive 2, wonder who takes that over because Insomniac is doing Spider-Man for PlayStation right now.

interns

The only thing surprising is Sunset Overdrive 2, wonder who takes that over because Insomniac is doing Spider-Man for PlayStation right now.

I agree completely. Either the guy is wrong, Insomniac significantly expanded, or the game is still at least two years out. According to Gamespot Insomniac owns Sunet Overdrive, so maybe just a teaser for the game with a 2020 or 2021 release window?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sunset-overdrive-exclusive-to-xbox-one-because-microsoft-allowed-insomniac-to-own-the-rights-to-its-creation/1100-6419558/

They have 275+ employees so they could be working on two projects at the same time, add in the fact that Spidey is soon out...

Microsoft has said they'll only announce games within a year of release though, and last I hear from Insomniac was like half a year ago when they said they wanted to make SO2 but had no publisher. The IP is Insomniac's IIRC, so it doesn't sound like they'd have enough time for it to release within a year.

A guy on Reddit who predicted the Fallout 76 announcement said that Halo will be announced at E3 as well as the new Forza Horizon, Sunset Overdrive 2, and Gears.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8n7i4o/comment/dztnzx9

They have 275+ employees so they could be working on two projects at the same time, add in the fact that Spidey is soon out...

Microsoft has said they'll only announce games within a year of release though, and last I hear from Insomniac was like half a year ago when they said they wanted to make SO2 but had no publisher. The IP is Insomniac's IIRC, so it doesn't sound like they'd have enough time for it to release within a year.

All of these rumors do leave me a bit lost on where development on H6 really stands. I truly do not believe it will be out this fall, but maybe since MCC already has a beta program, H6 could be announced at E3 with a spring 19 release date, and a beta at the MCC relaunch in Sept-Oct or more likely Nov because 343 will not launch a beta for H6 before the H5 HCS is over. This could end up really helping halo if MCC and H6 are both getting PC launches as two consecutive launches will maintain some hype for H6 and get the PC community ready, while dodging the typical population drop that's typically associated with launching just before this year's COD and other blockbuster E3 games.

I've got to be honest, if MCC is getting a PC launch and H6 releases next spring, I think I may almost prefer this schedule to Just a straight up H6 release this fall or next. Imagine this schedule. MCC in September with a planned H6 beta for November, which will boost MCC sales again too, followed by a throwback HCS season (Might only happen if H6 is a classic Halo) from January-March, leading up to an April H6 release. That's about as good as it gets as far as the hype train goes and again avoiding the standard AAA launch window will really help a franchise like Halo.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking but it is one of the few scenarios that keeps H6 within a year launch of this years E3 (to avoid another crackdown situation) and that wraps everything up with MCC and H5 with the schedules we are aware of. Whatever it is, we only have a week before we know for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I do think removing maps instead of changing settings that are obviously inferior is honestly stupid. I'm not a Fathom fan but it should at least be given the chance to work properly if the respawn would indeed fix it. Unified settings is the biggest load of bs. Its condescending in how stupid it assumes the average player is and asinine if you consider that everyone playing/watching for the most part is probably invested and, hopefully, not so completely stupid that they can't pick up on a slight rule change. Lets not even talk about how that could be cleared up with the map/gametype intro to eliminate this entire discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Parallels between this game and reach starting to be drawn. The long drawn out struggle to get the best out of the game by constantly pestering devs to remove stupid gimmicks and only succeeding once the game has ended its lifecycle. My prediction is that the last Halo 5 tournament will have no sprint. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Parallels between this game and reach starting to be drawn. The long drawn out struggle to get the best out of the game by constantly pestering devs to remove stupid gimmicks and only succeeding once the game has ended its lifecycle. My prediction is that the last Halo 5 tournament will have no sprint. 

Since the settings are decided by the devs and not the community/MLG anymore, no way no how that sprint will be removed.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Since the settings are decided by the devs and not the community/MLG anymore, no way no how that sprint will be removed.

Once in awhile I realize its 2018 and we're still talking about sprint in Halo. Its honestly crazy how we pretty much had a full on revolt over sprint in Reach and instead of just taking the hint and letting people play Halo here we are with new iterations of how sprint works every few years and wonky maps nobody really wanted to begin with.

• Upvote (+1) 7

The HCS playlist is a slightly striped down version of their game. I'm surprised they budged and took out any of the abilities.

I hope one day the core game itself is built from a competitive POV

They've been nudged to remove Spartan Charge and Ground Pound, so I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility. We'll see I guess.