CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If we were actually playing 100% on dedis then people should be able to simply reconnect after they sort out their connection. Really can't be that hard to implement.

Lets be real for a second 3v4 industries was a meme for a reason. I'd love the feature but right now I'm just happy that the game (usually) starts correctly

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 online is not better than H5 online simply because it's "Classic" Halo, even if nostalgia is making you think so right now. Even on dedicated servers, the distance in which you have to lead is 100% different from game to game. One game you have a hitscan BR that requires no leading across the map, the next game you have to lead by 30 feet shooting at a guy who is three feet away. The H3 bullet system/BR is easily the WORST utility weapon in the series. The aiming was also terrible in the original, they've some how actually made it worse. Nostalgia aside, the game was always trash online, and it continues to be trash online. No amount of nostalgia is gonna change that. 

It's really exciting that 343 is giving such an amazing opportunity for "Classic" Halo to shine, and that so many people are interested in participating in it. I'm actually sooo stoked about it and the potential that the level of interest could have on game design decisions for Infinite. However, that doesn't change the fact that H3 is absolute garbage online, and it is without a single doubt the worst game out of the original trilogy. Whoever at Bungie decided that bullet physics as opposed to hitscan should be used in the game (don't even get me started about FOV or grid aiming system [also don't get me started on "each bullet has it's own packet online"]), should have honestly been fired. Terrible choices. 

/rantbecauseMCCH3mademereallymad,over.

Edit: My intro was too aggressive and actual douche factor was over 9000% 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

H3 online is not better than H5 online simply because it's "Classic" Halo, even if nostalgia is making you think so right now. Even on dedicated servers, the distance in which you have to lead is 100% different from game to game. One game you have a hitscan BR that requires no leading across the map, the next game you have to lead by 30 feet shooting at a guy who is three feet away. The H3 bullet system/BR is easily the WORST utility weapon in the series. The aiming was also terrible in the original, they've some how actually made it worse. Nostalgia aside, the game always was always trash online, and it continues to be trash online. No amount of nostalgia is gonna change that. 

It's really exciting that 343 is giving such an amazing opportunity for "Classic" Halo to shine, and that so many people are interested in participating in it. I'm actually sooo stoked about it and the potential that the level of interest could have on game design decisions for Infinite. However, that doesn't change the fact that H3 is absolute garbage online, and it is without a single doubt the worst game out of the original trilogy. Whoever at Bungie decided that bullet physics as opposed to hitscan should be used in the game (don't even get me started about FOV or grid aiming system [also don't get me started on "each bullet has it's own packet online"]), should have honestly been fired. Terrible choices. 

/rantbecauseMCCH3mademereallymad,over.

Edit: My intro was too aggressive and actual douche factor was over 9000% 

It is if you're actually looking to play halo. Halo 4/5 are in this series by name only(Reach as well until NBNS). The game play has little resemblance to what a lot of people consider to be halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I'm just waiting for the honeymoon phase to wear off and people remember just how obnoxious Halo 3 is. The aiming and the awful BR should 100% get an update and be fixed. I know people want it yo resemble the old game as much as possible but come on. It's been 10 years do we REALLY still need RNG spread and a God awful aiming system? Can't we all agree on at least improving the game in these regards and not be stuck in 2007? Would make the game infinitely more enjoyable.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

H5 online is also far from perfect tbh, I get very frequent server hiccups till this day. There's also the insanely high bullet magnetism that makes clear misses register so people go "omg insanely good hitreg" when in H3 people love to blame lag for missing shots.

And then there's the whole game mechanics being light years ahead of H5, the better maps and settings, the weapon balance etc. The only thing H5 has over H3 is that it isn't a poor port of an already played to death game, but now that even H5 is stale af that advantage is fading quickly. Can even say the graphics are better, because honestly H3 on MCC looks way better than Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

It is if you're actually looking to play halo. Halo 4/5 are in this series by name only(Reach as well until NBNS). The game play has little resemblance to what a lot of people consider to be halo.

100% fair point. The questions are: "What makes Halo, Halo?" and "Who decides what makes Halo, Halo?". In my mind, they're all Halo. Regardless of their differences, isn't Halo defined by the Studios who make and release a Halo game? If not, who decides? What gives them the authority?

• Upvote (+1) 4

100% fair point. The questions are: "What makes Halo, Halo?" and "Who decides what makes Halo, Halo?". In my mind, they're all Halo. Regardless of their differences, isn't Halo defined by the Studios who make and release a Halo game? If not, who decides? What gives them the authority?

I believe the film "The People vs. George Lucas" explores this but with Star Wars.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If we are going to pick the lesser of two evils, I'mma pick Halo 3 everyday .... no questions asked.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Can people hit up postums and request an update to the shot registration at the very least. It’s something I feel the mcc team would be willing to take on, will just need enough feedback.

Can people hit up postums and request an update to the shot registration at the very least. It’s something I feel the mcc team would be willing to take on, will just need enough feedback.

I can't be the only one who finds hit reg to be considerably better than 360 h3, can I?

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm just waiting for the honeymoon phase to wear off and people remember just how obnoxious Halo 3 is. The aiming and the awful BR should 100% get an update and be fixed. I know people want it yo resemble the old game as much as possible but come on. It's been 10 years do we REALLY still need RNG spread and a God awful aiming system? Can't we all agree on at least improving the game in these regards and not be stuck in 2007? Would make the game infinitely more enjoyable.

doesn't halo 5 also have garbage aiming? What makes you think they could fix h3s aiming even if they wanted to? Seems like they have yet to get good aiming down in general.

I mean I settle for an update that removes spread, that'd be fuckin awesome.

I can't be the only one who finds hit reg to be considerably better than 360 h3, can I?

As somebody who tested playing both just recently, 360 had much better hit reg for me. MCC hit reg is across the board shit for me, though.

doesn't halo 5 also have garbage aiming? What makes you think they could fix h3s aiming even if they wanted to? Seems like they have yet to get good aiming down in general.

I mean I settle for an update that removes spread, that'd be fuckin awesome.

H5 aiming honestly felt like it was mainly input delay. The actual aiming you could tweak and get a pretty decent sensitivity. The problem with h3 is just that no matter what you do the diagonal aiming is always 1000 mph. In h5 I could pretty much customize my sens to whatever I wanted and it could feel pretty smooth. I don't think I will ever be able to consistently aim in h3 when any movement that's not NSEW is just an entirely different sensitivity.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

H5 aiming honestly felt like it was mainly input delay. The actual aiming you could tweak and get a pretty decent sensitivity. The problem with h3 is just that no matter what you do the diagonal aiming is always 1000 mph. In h5 I could pretty much customize my sens to whatever I wanted and it could feel pretty smooth. I don't think I will ever be able to consistently aim in h3 when any movement that's not NSEW is just an entirely different sensitivity.

I've heard that get attributed to to grid based aiming so they may have to change the entire system just to fix that one problem. I don't know as a matter of fact that this is the case, it just sounds like that'd be the case.

I've heard that get attributed to to grid based aiming so they may have to change the entire system just to fix that one problem. I don't know as a matter of fact that this is the case, it just sounds like that'd be the case.

Yea it's 100% the grid aiming lol. Idk if it's an easy fix or not but it's absolutely unbearable. You combine that and the projectiles, spread, and hit reg and it's a nightmare. I can't imagine playing it for money in this current state.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yea it's 100% the grid aiming lol. Idk if it's an easy fix or not but it's absolutely unbearable. You combine that and the projectiles, spread, and hit reg and it's a nightmare. I can't imagine playing it for money in this current state.

After so many years I've gotten used to the aiming. So much so that h2 feels weird to me. But then again reach doesn't feel weird at all so maybe h2 just does feel weird.

If they were to just delete br spread from the game though I'd be so happy. It's inclusion doesn't kill the game for me but I'd enjoy it more without spread. A perfectly accurate br with projectiles, 10% damage and movement boost would be a lot of fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a good analogy from r/Halo in regards to this question.

Imagine you've been driving a Hummer all your life, but one day it's stolen and lost for good. Your new insurance company offers a replacement, but when you get there, it's some flashy smart car.

"That's not a Hummer." you say. "Sure it is! Says so right on the hood." They say, "Take it for a test drive and find out for yourself."

You settle into the driver's seat, this definitely "does not feel like a Hummer." Doesn't handle like a Hummer, the engine doesn't roar like a Hummer, you can't fit your friends in the backseat, and it certainly doesn't share the same design principles of a Hummer. You point all of these things out, but they insist that it is, in fact a Hummer. It's got four wheels, a windshield, side mirrors and the Hummer brand is slapped on the hood.

Then they say you're just nostalgic for Hummers, so accept the fucking smart car you purist shill.

Unrelated but Bungie used the exact same analogy when discussing the Halo Reach engine (basically saying how every time a new Halo game is being made, the engine is reworked to support better graphics, more guns, scripts, modes, etc. The engine is not brand new, but heavily modified.) in one of their Bungie Weekly Updates. Pretty funny considering that's what most people consider Halo's downfall.

This is a good analogy from r/Halo in regards to this question.

I've always had a problem with people saying modern Halo is not Halo but Halo 3 is Halo. "Sprint isn't Halo" yeah but equipment isn't Halo either. "Thrust isn't Halo" yeah but a gun that doesn't shoot straight isn't Halo either. "Advanced mobility is radically different than classic movement" yeah but the spawn system from Halo 1 to literally any other Halo is radically different.

All of these are Halo, we just have five definitions of it at this point and I don't think that's a problem. We have H1, button combo heavy H2, no flair H3/Reach V7/H2A, class based Reach/H4, and advanced movement H5. Some of these can be divided more (H2A could be split for dynamic weapon times for example), but I feel these divisions work pretty well.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Equipment fit with even pretty conservative definitions of halo by virtue of it all bring map acquired. We argue all day over it's presentation (like maybe there should've been visual cues to let you know who has what instead of it being a surprise), or over how cheesy they were (bubble shield), the only way you could think equipment was so offensively un halo in the same vein as sprint is if your definition of halo was literally SHOOTIES, BOOMIES AND PUNCHIES but nothing the fuck else.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Quick question im hoping someone can help me out with. H3 has always been my favorite to play/watch, but i was too young to travel to event when they were actually going on. Now that i can, i want to go to the UGC event and was looking at passes. Does anyone know the difference between VIP pass and regular spectator pass? Of course there is one, but couldn't find it anywhere. Thanks!

• Upvote (+1) 5

Equipment fit with even pretty conservative definitions of halo by virtue of it all bring map acquired. We argue all day over it's presentation (like maybe there should've been visual cues to let you know who has what instead of it being a surprise), or over how cheesy they were (bubble shield), the only way you could think equipment was so offensively un halo in the same vein as sprint is if your definition of halo was literally SHOOTIES, BOOMIES AND PUNCHIES but nothing the fuck else.

Fine, Halo 3 equipment, not the general idea of equipment, isn't Halo. It ruins the aggression of the game in the same way running away with sprint ruins the aggression. Sprint may make maps larger, but regen fields made somebody almost un-killable without a power weapon or multiple BRs trained on one person.

Or if equipment isn't a good enough argument, then how about the long perfect killtimes? Forcing more of a reliance on teamshot, or larger open areas to make sure you'd actually have time to kill somebody. If that's not good enough, how about the combination of both which changes the argument to be about making a more defensive game?

It doesn't matter to me how you spin it, but the general argument of "This isn't Halo" isn't good enough in my opinion to suggest what the next Halo game should be like.

• Upvote (+1) 2

You realize that Halo 3 was still occasionally hitting the top 10 concurrent player lists on XBL well into Halo 4's life? When I was a kid I would log onto H3 and Team Slayer would have 65k or more players, easily over 100k on the weekends.

Call it trash all you want, online or off--people loved the game, and projectile physics, disconnects, and blood shots didn't stop people from playing it. The good outweighs the bad and the annoying. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

when it's good (aka when you get a good server given to you from RNGesus) then it's considerably better than H3 360,but every below average game is complete shit on MCC. Like dying around corners shit. Idk what is happening under the hood, but game to game is extremely inconsistent.