CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I just want to see an old team of retired pros come out of the woodwork for one last hurrah, while playing under an OG name. And then surprise, there's Puckett to do some casting. 

Im all for this. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Only 3 maps, they'd need to test a whole bunch of Forge maps and modes to get more whereas Halo 3 has tournament settings on a variety of maps right now.

You keep saying it's for the sake of nostalgia and that's not really correct. You need to think pragmatically. From a business perspective:

- What Halo had the best tournament ticket sales?

- What Halo is the easiest to set up and is quickest to organize tournament settings for?

- What Halo is the most popular in the series?

- What do Halo pro players want to play?

I'd love to see Halo 1, 2, 2A and 3 tournaments all round. I don't mind which one, I don't even have a preference. If they want to hold 2v2 H1 tournaments I'll watch it with gle. Same for Halo 2 4v4.

The instant dismissal of Halo 3 as a tournament game is not healthy for the community. Game is fun to play and watch for the majority, even here.

I'd take 3 pretty good maps over a bunch of myeh maps and some good ones. Sanc's great, Lockout's fine when done right, and Warlock is god. Then Halo 3 has gross shit like Narrows and Construct. You don't need a ton of maps, nor do you need to add anymore. You need a good game. 

And I've openly said it's easy success and money. I know the more business-based side of it. But it's also pretty obvious it is a bid for fan-love through nostalgia. Why else would they go back to a 10 year old game after spending 8 years after that with their own games. Why retread the same steps. Why not do Halo 2, which is also on the MCC and also has a ton of hype behind it, being the posterchild of MCC's conception in the first place, given its sprawling legacy. It also had a bunch of settings and maps tailor-made for comp that still exist and are in use. Halo 2: Anniversary did too. Halo 3 isn't the only game to have that, lol. Obviously it's EZ stacks. It's also pretty obvious that they're hinging on what the fans like, given their other options aren't really lagging behind in terms of how the fans see them, or how accessible they are for play.

And finally, why is instant dismissal not healthy? You can list the reason as to why 3 hasn't been a good tournament game. It's not really a big matter of debate either. It's cool people like to watch and play it, I don't mind or argue that. But that won't really stop me from criticizing it openly. If anything, the opposite implication is much more unhealthy. Simply accepting Halo 3 is being run on the circuit, and not saying anything because of the fact people like it. I'm not saying you say I should do that, but me simply disliking Halo 3 on the circuit and voicing that literally is harmless, lol. Especially given the figurative sea of people who like it in comparison.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

We still arguing about h3s comp value?

Guys, it's one of my favorite games, it's also still least competitively viable halo title bungie made. It's great for casual fun (even if you want to win), but even mlg settings ought to be considered, at best, refined casual settings because of shit like the br and blood shots.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hope tox stays together for STL. Would be interesting to see if their dominance continues in a different title.

it will. they are all very good at h3

Guys, it's one of my favorite games, it's also still least competitively viable halo title bungie made.

h3 4s on LAN is only rivaled by h1 2s or h2 4s
  • Upvote (+1) 5

I'd take 3 pretty good maps over a bunch of myeh maps and some good ones. Sanc's great, Lockout's fine when done right, and Warlock is god. Then Halo 3 has gross shit like Narrows and Construct. You don't need a ton of maps, nor do you need to add anymore. You need a good game. 

And I've openly said it's easy success and money. I know the more business-based side of it. But it's also pretty obvious it is a bid for fan-love through nostalgia. Why else would they go back to a 10 year old game after spending 8 years after that with their own games. Why retread the same steps. Why not do Halo 2, which is also on the MCC and also has a ton of hype behind it, being the posterchild of MCC's conception in the first place, given its sprawling legacy. It also had a bunch of settings and maps tailor-made for comp that still exist and are in use. Halo 2: Anniversary did too. Halo 3 isn't the only game to have that, lol. Obviously it's EZ stacks. It's also pretty obvious that they're hinging on what the fans like, given their other options aren't really lagging behind in terms of how the fans see them, or how accessible they are for play.

And finally, why is instant dismissal not healthy? You can list the reason as to why 3 hasn't been a good tournament game. It's not really a big matter of debate either. It's cool people like to watch and play it, I don't mind or argue that. But that won't really stop me from criticizing it openly. If anything, the opposite implication is much more unhealthy. Simply accepting Halo 3 is being run on the circuit, and not saying anything because of the fact people like it. I'm not saying you say I should do that, but me simply disliking Halo 3 on the circuit and voicing that literally is harmless, lol. Especially given the figurative sea of people who like it in comparison.

@bolded That seems to make a lot of sense to me. How stupid would it be to put on tournaments for games people don't actually want to play on MCC? Not that I would mind seeing other games but they probably want people to show up and watch too. H2A is the definition of a nostalgia grab. Its just a really bad version of H2 that looks cool but lacks maps. H2 on MCC is so bad people play a modded vista instead. CE is a joke on MCC. I've never even played a game of H4 on MCC to my knowledge. People constantly vote for and play Halo 3 on MCC though. Not sure anything else needs to be said.

There are so many things that aren't good about H3 but despite the flaws it managed to set the bar for the series nearly across the board with any sort of metric you can think of. Its clearly not a bad game in any sort of objective sense

@bolded That seems to make a lot of sense to me. How stupid would it be to put on tournaments for games people don't actually want to play on MCC? Not that I would mind seeing other games but they probably want people to show up and watch too. H2A is the definition of a nostalgia grab. Its just a really bad version of H2 that looks cool but lacks maps. H2 on MCC is so bad people play a modded vista instead. CE is a joke on MCC. I've never even played a game of H4 on MCC to my knowledge. People constantly vote for and play Halo 3 on MCC though. Not sure anything else needs to be said.

There are so many things that aren't good about H3 but despite the flaws it managed to set the bar for the series nearly across the board with any sort of metric you can think of. Its clearly not a bad game in any sort of objective sense

plenty of bad games become popular. H3 did a good job engaging the community by having a variety of playlists, lots of customization and outlets for creativity. It's a fantastic game for everything but high level competition. I know I've ragged on games pushing that competitive culture despite being shitty for it yet also being popular. The difference is that h3 doesn't BLEED that shit like modern bad comp games do. There's more ways to play the multiplayer because of that.

We still arguing about h3s comp value?

Guys, it's one of my favorite games, it's also still least competitively viable halo title bungie made. It's great for casual fun (even if you want to win), but even mlg settings ought to be considered, at best, refined casual settings because of shit like the br and blood shots.

You're right, we should go back to Halo 5.

There are so many things that aren't good about H3 but despite the flaws it managed to set the bar for the series nearly across the board with any sort of metric you can think of. Its clearly not a bad game in any sort of objective sense.

Even if H2A was worse than H2, it's still leagues ahead of H3. Again, from a business perspective, I get it and could reiterate over and over and over, but there are still better competitive Halo games than Halo 3. Always will be. And they're at our fingertips on MCC.

And disagree Halo 3 isn't a bad game in any objective sense. Multiplayer's a bit of a trainwreck and one could go on about the campaign, and what it may have screwed up. It was popular. Doesn't mean it's not objectively poor, or automatically great.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

As a player, I do wish H2A had been expanded with Forge maps, because I legit love that game engine and hate the teeny map pool.

As a spectator, I'm extremely happy that Halo 3's being played again because we get classic, fundamental Halo to watch again (warts and all).

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't get it. we were begging for h3 this time last year. now we have it and suddenly its not good enough. we ran h2a for a year and it got real dry real fast with the same 3 maps over and over and over. its been done and had its fun. now its time for h3 to have a turn. this is just a stop gap for a year maybe 2 till infinite and TOs can run h2a if they want. but can we at least see how it goes at ugc before we bitch about having classic halo like we've wanted for years?

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah this must be how CE people feel basically all the time.

Thought I'd shed light on this. I can't speak for everyone obviously but when it comes to the CE people that LAN, they're indifferent to this or aren't even aware its happening. Most of the CE guys live in this bubble where it's the only halo game they touch or hear of. They don't mind other games getting supported because no matter what happens we seem to survive. Even when it was first taken off the MLG scene people were still LANing in hotel rooms at events. When Beach LAN started getting some prize money people were kinda skeptical overall because none of those guys ever really did it for the money.

For 2v2's, of course, I'd prefer to see CE involved and I mentioned that last time but this is for 4v4 and it makes sense to me to hold this for Halo 3. The team pass' tell the story here and it's great to see this involvement from the community. I was worried because I never felt there was much of an actual local dedicated Halo 3 scene, just a bunch of online matchmaking players. (not that there have been events to attend) I'm glad to be proven wrong and hope that the team passes are all utilized. No matter what Halo you are a fan of, this is a good thing for "classic" halo. I thought the Halo 3 2v2 was a cool idea but wasn't a good representation of the competitive Halo 3 community. 4v4 hopefully shows that the games' premier competitive settings are the best option.

UGC seemed interested in all the classic Halo's when I talked to them last. Who knows what they will do or what this HCS Grassroots program is. I haven't looked into it but I wouldn't doubt we try reaching out to these guys to make something happen. After this past Beach LAN we received a lot of messages asking if the event is open to the public.

I've posted it before but I've always dreamed of a Halo EVO style event, which has to be a TO's worst nightmare to organize. MCC makes that possibility much more realistic, even though I don't think I would travel to play the current version of Halo CE.

TL;DR - This is a good thing for Halo and hopefully continues a trend of supporting some classic tournaments.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So, i'm looking for a 144hz monitor. Anyone got recommendations?

Asus VG248QE. Currently 100 dollars off at Best Buy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The grim reality that Halo 2 Classic has not received any kind of official developer nor tournament support since 2007 and the future looks to be more of the same  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

as I’ve said many times on here, I prefer every other Halo to H3 (the 4 doesn’t count) but I’m ecstatic about H3 being the focus of comp Halo in 2019. graphics are the best in the series, it’s great for spectating, 2008-2010 saw the biggest peak of competitive population, and viewership will be way better for H3 than H1-H2. H3 on LAN is more than acceptable

Guys, it's one of my favorite games, it's also still least competitively viable halo title bungie made.

Uhhhhhhh

220px-Halo-_Reach_box_art.png

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If H2A had Middy and Creek, 343 were willing to remove nade indicators and hitmarkers and lower the gross amounts of magnetism then we could have a discussion which game should be played. But as it is, H3 is clearly the better choice, not even considering the fact it was the most popular comp Halo game and "Nostalgia" I do enjoy playing H2A, but it is not a good competitive title (it is when compared to H4/5, but not the first three and Reach v7) and especially the fact it has THREE MAPS is a tragedy.

Yay for 343 remaking Relic, Ascension and Zanzibar instead of BC, Middy and a more iconic BTB map. Even Warlock is a waste of a spot given how easily it could've been forged.

Even with onlyy 3 maps i never got tired of watching Shrine or warlord matches.