CyReN

Halo Championship Series 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It hurts that it's h3 reviving the community. I genuinely dont like watching it. :(

It's certainly no H2. 

But it'll do for now and beats the hell out of H5

• Upvote (+1) 4

It hurts that it's h3 reviving the community. I genuinely dont like watching it. :(

It's inevitable really though. Most of the people that played halo and got burned by halo reach and everything after have most of their best halo memories on H3.

H3 is fun and has great nail biting moments, change my mind 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Happy Thanksgiving fam. 

ot: Interested to see how many of those pass sales actually show up with full teams - will be a great indicator on where we actually stand as far as classic Halo sustainability in 2019 on MCC. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Grassroots biggest problem is that it will only grow local communities at a time when the game needs a stronger international following. It's great for regions where Halo already has a big enough following to be popular (NA/EU) but its not going to do anything for regions outside that community.

For Halo eSports to ever grow, it needs international interest that convinces those regions to grind the game and become competitive. Halo, in its current state, is an NA eSport, which is stale and bland, and is not helping its popularity or its growth. Regions outside of NA/ Select EU regions have no interest in playing, nor any chance at ever getting good enough at the game because the player pool is so dried up as a result of the recent quality of the games, that its impossible to consistently play to get at that high level. 

It's no coincidence that the most popular eSport titles are also the ones where every region is actually somewhat competitive at the game. I will continue to use Siege as an example of this, as in the recent Grand Finals for Season 8, the Top 4 teams came from Japan, Australia, Brazil, and a mixed EU team. An eSport tournament is a hell of a lot more interesting to follow and watch if every region is actually competitive at the game. Watching the Australian team beat the #1 NA team 2-0 in the Quarter Finals was by far the most exciting game to watch and be a part of watching. Twitch chat was hype, the Siege discord was hype, the commentators were hyped and nearly speechless. Halo, in its current state, does not have that atmosphere, and that stems from issues with the game resulting in pretty low popularity. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah this must be how CE people feel basically all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yep. Should've given more spotlight to H2A, which only got a one year run in 2015, leading up to Halo 5's streak of 3. With some settings tweaks around movement and the addition of Midship. Would've been god-tier. Easily the best in a long time. Comp Halo 3 can suck a duck.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Classic halo selling 64 passes in 2 days is amazing. I don’t care what game it is as long as it’s 1-3.

We should be happy imo regardless how you feel about H3.

I’m sure we will get other halo events that could possibly feature other titles as well.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Classic halo selling 64 passes in 2 days is amazing. I don’t care what game it is as long as it’s 1-3.

We should be happy imo regardless how you feel about H3.

I’m sure we will get other halo events that could possibly feature other titles as well.

Exactly this. Halo 3 is my least favorite of the original trilogy, and by far the one I'm the worst at. That being said, the fact that's is classic Halo is all that matters. After 3 years of Halo 5, and many more before that with sprint, the scene being on Halo 3 again is a blessing. 

Jesus Christ now we're bitching that we're going back to the wrong Classic Halo game? Get a grip, guys. We are getting no sprint, no ability Halo and I see comments bitching about it.  

Theres always an elitist who has to chime in and say they game they like the most is better.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Theres always an elitist who has to chime in and say they game they like the most is better.

There's always a bigoted fish.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That being said, the fact that's is classic Halo is all that matters.

Lol. What should matter is it being a good game. And it's not. Has never been. Of course, what we're getting is what we're getting. But I will never be happy we regressed to Halo 3 for nostalgia's sake over actually taking the time to find one the better alternatives.

• Downvote (-1) 21

Lol. What should matter is it being a good game. And it's not. Has never been. Of course, what we're getting is what we're getting. But I will never be happy we regressed to Halo 3 for nostalgia's sake over actually taking the time to find one the better alternatives.

a) Halo 3 was the largest period of growth for Halo ever.

b) It was loved and is loved by millions of gamers.

c) I'm not devaluing it's flaws but it's still a great core game, especially MLG settings.

d) Why would tournament organizers not want to capitalize on the most popular, most successful and most played Halo game in history? 

a) Halo 3 was the largest period of growth for Halo ever.

b) It was loved and is loved by millions of gamers.

c) I'm not devaluing it's flaws but it's still a great core game, especially MLG settings.

d) Why would tournament organizers not want to capitalize on the most popular, most successful and most played Halo game in history? 

What you're saying and asking is literally what I'm saying. They're doing it for nostalgia. It's easy cash and success because of what it was. They're still ignoring the game's actual competitive quality, and using it, despite the fact there are better alternatives in Halo for them to use.

• Downvote (-1) 8

What you're saying and asking is literally what I'm saying. They're doing it for nostalgia. It's easy cash and success because of what it was. They're still ignoring the game's actual competitive quality, and using it, despite the fact there are better alternatives in Halo for them to use.

No better viable options. MCC H2 is a joke and everyone who likes to play it competitively plays a modded Vista version. Don't even get me started on H1. Halo 3 is the best option for MCC because it's the only one that works. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No better viable options. MCC H2 is a joke and everyone who likes to play it competitively plays a modded Vista version. Don't even get me started on H1. Halo 3 is the best option for MCC because it's the only one that works. 

H2A, fam. Has a BR that actually works, stable performance, good map rotation. And even with its flaws, its still better than Halo 3. And it literally only got a year on the circuit. Not 2, or 3. 1. It's relatively unknown, but classic-styled (however nebulous that is), and could bring more attention back to Halo, while not being a potentially alienating game, while ALSO not just being a dumb grab for nostalgia at the sake of competitive integrity.

• Downvote (-1) 9

H2A, fam. Has a BR that actually works, stable performance, good map rotation. And even with its flaws, its still better than Halo 3. And it literally only got a year on the circuit. Not 2, or 3. 1. It's relatively unknown, but classic-styled (however nebulous that is), and could bring more attention back to Halo, while not being a potentially alienating game, while ALSO not just being a dumb grab for nostalgia at the sake of competitive integrity.

Only 3 maps, they'd need to test a whole bunch of Forge maps and modes to get more whereas Halo 3 has tournament settings on a variety of maps right now.

You keep saying it's for the sake of nostalgia and that's not really correct. You need to think pragmatically. From a business perspective:

- What Halo had the best tournament ticket sales?

- What Halo is the easiest to set up and is quickest to organize tournament settings for?

- What Halo is the most popular in the series?

- What do Halo pro players want to play?

I'd love to see Halo 1, 2, 2A and 3 tournaments all round. I don't mind which one, I don't even have a preference. If they want to hold 2v2 H1 tournaments I'll watch it with glee. Same for Halo 2 4v4.

The instant dismissal of Halo 3 as a tournament game is not healthy for the community. Game is fun to play and watch for the majority, even here.

• Upvote (+1) 4